Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

But it should be a tax on all working people who have a roof over their heads. Be they owners, private tenants or council tenants. Afterall, we all use the same services.

The French tax both. There is a habitation tax and a residential tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

what's the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Mark200 wrote: »
    Wow what an amazing prediction! Well done

Why thank you. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

I know this is serious stuff, but I read the OP thread Title as "Upcoming poverty tax to be raised to €1,000, can you afford it?"

My answer is NO on that question and the OP's original question about property tax, definitely another NO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

i got my rubbish collection bill this week, 150 euro, which included 5.89 goverment levy, so i get taxed on my rubbish collection, anyone else hit with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Ghandee wrote: »
    Why thank you. :o

I think having a quick scan through the original EU / IMF agreement might do a bit of good to a few people on here:

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/reports/2011/euimfrevised.pdf

Property tax mentioned on pages 9, 25, 29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

In fairness to the French they have some wonderful and insightful government projects(paid for through tax).

I remember reading/seeing about a scheme operated by the government for new parents. You get and "Aid" for something like the first six weeks after the baby is born. They come in everyday to your home and do what needs to be done ie housework, cooking, shopping, laundry etc

Frivolous I hear you say??
    Genius IMO

Parent is better rested, has time to bond with child, less chance of PPD.
    Ergo, parent returns to work a happier healthier and more productive citizen.

It also creates jobs.

what's the difference?

residential = property tax as a wealth tax. The other tax is for the inhabitants. Obviously home owners who live in their house pay both.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    In fairness to the French they have some wonderful and insightful government projects(paid for through tax).

I remember reading/seeing about a scheme operated by the government for new parents. You get and "Aid" for something like the first six weeks after the baby is born. They come in everyday to your home and do what needs to be done ie housework, cooking, shopping, laundry etc

Frivolous I hear you say??
    Genius IMO

Parent is better rested, has time to bond with child, less chance of PPD.
    Ergo, parent returns to work a happier healthier and more productive citizen.

It also creates jobs.

Yes, they spend it better. Fo sho

ilovesleep wrote: »
    He's humping a German hole, I'll have you know.
    you got it wrong my friend, he is a german bitches, bitch.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    i got my rubbish collection bill this week, 150 euro, which included 5.89 goverment levy, so i get taxed on my rubbish collection, anyone else hit with this.

They upped the landfill Levy from the first of July.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/LandfillLevy/

Vat upon tax upon tax.... Its never ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I for one am glad I never registered, and I hope all that did, and now see (what we all predicted) this being introduced are proud of themselves.

Your country needs you folks. (while ministers pick up a variety of pensions)

Things are never quite so black and white. At the time I stated I wouldn't be paying the HHC. Then, out of the blue I lost my job of 10+ years and found I needed to go on the dole. I couldn't exactly be taking taxpayers money and refuse to pay the HHC. I felt the need to do so while I was receiving state benefit.

Thankfully I wasn't unemployed for long and in the end found a better job than I had previously. Unfortunately I registered and paid for the HHC. D'oh!

I think having a quick scan through the original EU / IMF agreement might do a bit of good to a few people on here:

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/reports/2011/euimfrevised.pdf

Property tax mentioned on pages 9, 25, 29

My prediction was that the tax would be in the ballpark of a grand a year.

Ooh wait, the cost isn't mentioned in those pages, (just like it wasn't mentioned in any hhc pamphlets) :rolleyes:

Things are never quite so black and white. At the time I stated I wouldn't be paying the HHC. Then, out of the blue I lost my job of 10+ years and found I needed to go on the dole. I couldn't exactly be taking taxpayers money and refuse to pay the HHC. I felt the need to do so while I was receiving state benefit.

Thankfully I wasn't unemployed for long and in the end found a better job than I had previously. Unfortunately I registered and paid for the HHC. D'oh!

So the dole is the only thing the Government has ever provided to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

State benefits you paid into for ten years which you are entitled to get back.
    I get why you paid but you should not have felt because you were on benefit you should pay.
    Glad you got a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Yes, they spend it better. Fo sho

I don't think there would be as much disquiet among the masses if tax here was spent on important things such as the above scheme and other things like a proper health service(it always gives me a good aul giggle when people here get their panties in a twist over medical card users freeloading, I could tell you a few tales fella:eek:)
    The French a great HC system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

flutered wrote: »

I occasionally defend taxes and government decisions, but I really wish they would get their house in order on rubbish collection. Here, I just put them on the street or in a wheelie bin, and it gets taken. Its paid by my city taxes and thats it. No tokens, no tags, no stickers, no administration of cost. In these austere times, less administration means more money in the exchequer.

I bought tags for years in Fingal County Council. I bought these tags, shops sold these tags, there was a paper trail, the bin men checked the right tag was on the bin. If the tag was not correct, they didnt collect the rubbish. The amount of administration involved is rediculous! Why can't the council accept, "Hey we have people living here, people generate waste, lets have guys go collect it and dispose it", because the administration costs of administering all the administration is what is crippling the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I dont and wont invest in property

will bottler have to pay the household tax on all (pies he has fingers in)the houses he has a share in, or does that only apply to the lower orders.

My prediction was that the tax would be in the ballpark of a grand a year.

Ooh wait, the cost isn't mentioned in those pages, (just like it wasn't mentioned in any hhc pamphlets) :rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have included your previous two lines so you'd remember what you stated your prediction to be:
    The HHC never was a HHC.

it was simply a registration exercise so they'd know who to send the bills to with this upcoming tax (and to add insult, they charged you to later shaft you)

The rise in property tax is clearly stated (and, the name itself.. "property tax" ... itself states it's not a household charge).

• Advertisement

So the dole is the only thing the Government has ever provided to you?

He should count himself lucky they did.

Thousands of self employed tradesmen, many who paid hundreds of thousands inn taxes to the exchequer during the boom years get nothing.

(while government ministers pick up their various pensions)

Something about that doesn't sit right with me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Will there ever be an end to this recession? We're about 4 years in now and it's neverending doom and gloom.

Enda and Co are also doing what appears to be popular in Europe and other country instead of tackling problems, that's eating money up and reforming.

This is his five point plan and solution:
    Tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
    Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut
    Give, give, give, give, give (to themselves only).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So Ghandee, any chance you can tell me what % of properties will be paying €1,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do local authority tenants pay?

Is this going to end up that lots of people are going to get waivers?

And the sucker next door will pay

Sorry, I should have included your previous two lines so you'd remember what you stated your prediction to be:

The rise in property tax is clearly stated (and, the name itself.. "property tax" ... itself states it's not a household charge).

What?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Soft targets Teddy.

Those who can least afford to pay it, can least afford to fight back.

Thats exactly the point.. well said.
    Saw an excellent quote yesterday: "A Government who robs Peter to pay Paul
    can always count on the support of Paul" a very true quote indeed...!!!!

He should count himself lucky they did.

Thousands of self employed tradesmen, many who paid hundreds of thousands inn taxes to the exchequer during the boom years get nothing.

(while government ministers pick up their various pensions)

Something about that doesn't sit right with me at all.

They don't get jobseekers benefit because they don't pay the appropriate PRSI.

They still qualify for jobseekers allowance as long as they pass a means test.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

They're bleeding the people dry, this tax will be accompanied by spending cuts and other charges and taxes being rose in addition to god only knows what the imf will demand in the meantime!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

The one thing they haven't made clear is what services will be provided for the money.

If refuse collection is one, great! I have standard refuse (€10) and recycling €8) that get taken on alternate weeks. That's €18 every 2 weeks or €468 a year.

€1000 property tax less €468 I already pay for bins = €532 extra to pay in year.

I would like to know what the other services are though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

It's all fine saying "other countries have a property tax system" etc but you can't pick and choose what bits you like from other countries and introduce them into another country without also introducing the beneficial elements. That is why people are opposed to the household charge and property taxes, when you give away what little money you have left every month to some faceless nameless corrupt organisation you want to see something in return for it.

What will this property tax be spent on? What will we be gaining from it? Is it a tax on houses or a tax on the property on a whole (including land etc.)?

Are they proposing that this property tax will cover refuse charges? I live in a rural area, as do my parents (in another part of Ireland), and there are no refuse services available to us, are they suddenly going to start providing refuse collection services to everyone that lives in the middle of nowhere?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement