Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orange provocation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Working class loyalists did not create the sectarian recruitment policy at Harland & Wolff, Shorts, FG Wilson and almost every council in the North. I don't know many working class lads who wear bowler hats. There aren't many politicians on the dole.

+ 1

Since when is it ok to say that being working class makes you a scumbag?
    Or for a moderator to imply the "working class element" are "scumbags"?

Absolute snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Obviously not paying attention earlier in the thread. While you were skulling beer and eating sandwiches in the 'field' this is how the OO behave when they come face to face with what they exist to detest.

The OO don't exist to detest you just cause you happen to drive a southern reg car - only the ones with catholics in them :eek: - had you drawn their attention to the fact that yours was in fact full of protestants you may have got an invitation back to the hall for tea and sandwiches. You may even have found yourself signing the kids up for some Highland Dancing classes - it's not all about parading the streets in July.
    May very well be true and equally reprehensible, but this thread is about the OO and the sectarianism and hate 'enshrined' in the organisation.

5 yrs ago. I drove up behind it and didn't know at that stage how big it was, and to be honest with you I thought the presence of the children would deter any nonsense. Not the first time southern cars have been attacked at parades like this in the border area, so trying to 'force' your way through would have been suicidal. The agressiveness started when they realised the car was a soutern reg. I can take you to the exact spot where it happened and show you the letter (unanswered) that I wrote to the Fivemiletown lodge. In fairness, although it was the nearest town, it may not have been that lodge, we didn't exactly roll down the window to ask and curiously they didn't have a lambeg. Just a group of sad soaking wet old men,(wretched) walking a hedge bound border road at dusk, in bowler hats and sashes.
    My 12 year old still refers to them as 'the men with the funny hats that banged on the roof'

Take it or leave it as the truth, but many would have similar stories.
    I have 2 cars - one for trips to Asda and the 12th with a yellow "foreign" number plate - a DL for my everyday life in Donegal, trips to Clones, Croke Park etc - works a treat and certainly makes life easier :D

My 4 year old refers to the 12th as the Protestant Patrick's Day Parade :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Working class loyalists did not create the sectarian recruitment policy at Harland & Wolff, Shorts, FG Wilson and almost every council in the North. I don't know many working class lads who wear bowler hats. There aren't many politicians on the dole.
    And who the f**k do you think made up the loyalist gangs such as the UDA, Ulster Vanguard, the RUC B Specials etc Sticky ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bessiebee wrote: »
    I have 2 cars - one for trips to Asda and the 12th with a yellow "foreign" number plate - a DL for my everyday life in Donegal, trips to Clones, Croke Park etc - works a treat and certainly makes life easier :D

My 4 year old refers to the 12th as the Protestant Patrick's Day Parade :eek:
    Please dump in the Walter Mitty forum :rolleyes:

Our lovely unionist friends (who come frm both sides of the border it should be said !!! ) are doing their bit in the name of ' culture ...... "reaching out to the wider community" ....... "civil and religious liberty" and so on, by burning Polish flags :eek:

" The BBC has seen evidence of Polish flags on two bonfires in east Belfast and election posters for a Polish candidate on a third. "
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18895671

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Our lovely unionist friends (who come frm both sides of the border it should be said !!! ) are doing their bit in the name of ' culture ...... "reaching out to the wider community" ....... "civil and religious liberty" and so on, by burning Polish flags :eek:

" The BBC has seen evidence of Polish flags on two bonfires in east Belfast and election posters for a Polish candidate on a third. "

Superb. These Orange Order people are almost as adept at public relations as, em, Terry Prone/Anton Savage.

& your three exclamation marks are there for what purpose exactly, shock, horror, what ??? Burning Polish flags has already been covered in this thread and anyone with any knowledge of loyalism would be aware that their bigotry is not specifically targeted at catholics, in fact anyone who is not white, protestant and thoroughly British will do.

On that note you might point me in the way of the Walter Mitty thread - I'll leave commenting here for the obviously more intelligent like your goodself:mad:

Bessiebee wrote: »
    & your three exclamation marks are there for what purpose exactly, shock, horror, what ??? Burning Polish flags has already been covered in this thread and anyone with any knowledge of loyalism would be aware that their bigotry is not specifically targeted at catholics, in fact anyone who is not white, protestant and thoroughly British will do.

On that note you might point me in the way of the Walter Mitty thread - I'll leave commenting here for the obviously more intelligent like your goodself:mad:
    Well I had a quick look over a few pages but didn't see anything about burning Polish flags but I will take your word for it :) But Walter, at least I don't claim to have 2 cars "one for trips to Asda and the 12th" and "a DL for my everyday life in Donegal, trips to Clones, Croke Park " :)
    On that note you might point me in the way of the Walter Mitty thread - I'll leave commenting here for the obviously more intelligent like your goodself
    Good idea Walter.

Well I had a quick look over a few pages but didn't see anything about burning Polish flags but I will take your word for it :) But Walter, at least I don't claim to have 2 cars "one for trips to Asda and the 12th" and "a DL for my everyday life in Donegal, trips to Clones, Croke Park " :)

Good idea Walter.
    You don't it would appear claim to have a sense of humour either but then I'm not sure mine (or indeed lack of it) is fully appreciated so guess I'll just have to keep working on it.

Love Walter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

That's is why , groups like the OO need to be stood up to. NI's National Front with it own little religious quirks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Christ on a crutch!! For decades these guys have saying their oppisition to catholics was based on their religion and not them personally. They also said they were expressing culture and not hate but their after shooting themselves in the foot with this action.

Looking at the loyalist being interviewed in that link hes says that this is a case of the loyalist communtiy being victimised and he doesnt see the polish asociation around now :S. Maybe thats because you were burning the polish flag?

This is a tipping point in my opinion. I have never felt so sorry for the people of northern Ireland having to put up with this racisim on a daily basis. I feel so bad for the people who are working hard to bring tourists in to the country and then for this to be shown on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    This is a tipping point in my opinion. I have never felt so sorry for the people of northern Ireland having to put up with this racisim on a daily basis. I feel so bad for the people who are working hard to bring tourists in to the country and then for this to be shown on the news.

There is a collective sickness of mind up there. I don't really understand it. It was the brutish behavior of the loyalists/unionists and police that started the whole trouble up there. Burning out the falls in 1969, the reaction of the state-let to the catholic civil rights marches were brutal. How these people believed that catholics should be 2nd class citizens and even worse that they should stay that was was unbelievable. Take a look at (from 6 mins in):

That attitude still prevails among many in the OO and loyalist community.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TommyPolack

3rd in Belfast Telegraph - 'Bigotry and hatred' behind burning of Polish flags in Belfast must stop, warns group
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/bigotry-and-hatred-behind-burning-of-polish-flags-in-belfast-must-stop-warns-group-16187003.html

4th - Irish TIMES - Polish flags burned on Belfast bonfires on July 11th
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0720/1224320450331.html

5th - the huffington post
    Polish Flags Burned On Bonfires Across Belfast On 11 July

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/19/polish-flags-burned-on-bonfire-belfast_n_1685366.html

6th - Again in Belfast Telegraph - Peter Robinson slams burning of Polish flags on loyalist bonfires
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/peter-robinson-slams-burning-of-polish-flags-on-loyalist-bonfires-16187345.html

7th - 4NI - Eleventh Night's Polish Flag-Burning Under Fire
    http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=147592

• Advertisement

9th - west against racism network - Polish Association condemn burning of Polish flags on Loyalist bonfires on 11th night
    http://www.westagainstracismnetwork.org/?p=252

10th - Fast FM - Poland flags burned on bonfires across Belfast on 11 July
    http://www.last.fm/forum/23/_/2066096

12th - EKRAN - Polish flags burned on bonfires across Belfast on 11 July
    http://collector.nowyekran.pl/post/68843,w-irlandii-spalono-na-stosie-polskie-flagi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its just been on RTE radio news now to.

it went better than expected.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lol at the "loyalist representative" who somehow manages to claim loyalists are the victims in all this. :D No hope of trying to be reasonable with some people!

10.000 views in 7 days on one video only.
    Is this image Belfast want to create? I don't think so.
    All we are asking is respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The start to this must be; standing up to any public expression of the OO's stance. When the grand master says stuff like 'he won't meet SF, or SF led residents groups (who is he expecting them to be led by, The Conservatives? :D) or that he won't recognise the Parades Comission or any other statements based in the sectarian charter of the OO then he has got to be challenged, officially condemmded and have sanctions put in place (removal of public funding etc), banning and proscribing if neccessary.
    The Irish government send a delegate to Mauritius to complain about the application of their legal system but have nothing to say on an official level about the overt and dangerous activity of this order?
    The Irish Gov again fails to respond responsibly and morally, out of fear and a certain amount of deference.
    The British Gov fail abjectly to call this for what it is, because they know the power of the OO in the corridors of Stormont.
    If the British bit the bulet, very quickly you would see distance appearing between the Unionist parties and the OO. That is happening but not quickly enough and not for the right reasons.
    Demand modernisation, continually point to sectarian based acts as being unhelpful, dangerous and damaging and you will strip this order of the moderates, quicker than it is happening already. YOU MUST TAKE THE HIGHER MORAL GROUND in the face of sectarianism, right across society, if you are sincere about establishing a new society. Otherwise what you are doing is preserving it and allowing the possibilty of it retarding real progress.
    If anybody watched the Bloody Friday programme on BBC last night it is clear that we have got to remove the type of thinking that allows carnage on the scale of that day, that thinking has been removed because the moderates have won and some have done it themselves, others are clearly having to be dragged into it. Don't shirk the job of dragging them, that's what responible governance is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I can't understand the surprise about Polish flags. They burned tricolours one EVERY bonfire and now people are shocked that Polish flags were on one or two.
    Polish people were never welcome in loyalist areas and they know to avoid estates with English and British flags. Strangely the Chinese seem to be able to live within loyalist estates without much hassle, I could never understand that.

Advertisement