Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orange provocation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

Happyman42 wrote: »
    My southern reg car drove up behind a small parade on a quiet country road in Fermanagh, 20 of the saddest, wretched looking men (no women) marching on a country road in their bowlers and sashes. Nothing wrong with their hate though as they banged the roof of the car, and roared abuse and spat and refused to let us through. The wife and the kids in the back (all Protestants btw) where terrified.
    5 minutes of it, had they started on the windows or trying to get into the car, there would have been a few less of them. Unbelievable, uncontrolled aggression because of a numberplate. That is the level of brain activity you are dealing with. And to think that they were probably coming from a church service praising the love and mercy of Jesus Christ!
    Given you seem to get antagonised at the mere mention of a bowler hat are you sure you didn't try buldozing your way through them while they "peacefully" walked their Queens Highway in your southern reg car. Find it just a wee bit hard to believe that they attacked you for no reason, other than the reg of your car, esp if there were children in the back .. what decade did this happen in? Just curious, not saying I don't believe you :)

Also curious re. reference to "wretched" - surely not all 20 of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Bessiebee wrote: »
    Just curious, not saying I don't believe you :)

Ah now - just how cynical have people become? He just didn't think to bring this up earlier because it didn't seem relevant to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Given you seem to get antagonised at the mere mention of a bowler hat are you sure you didn't try buldozing your way through them while they "peacefully" walked their Queens Highway in your southern reg car. Find it just a wee bit hard to believe that they attacked you for no reason, other than the reg of your car, esp if there were children in the back .. what decade did this happen in? Just curious, not saying I don't believe you :)

thats a great idea we could call it 'bowler bowling' the world championships could be on the twelfth of july every year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

alastair wrote: »
    Ah now - just how cynical have people become? He just didn't think to bring this up earlier because it didn't seem relevant to the thread.

It became relevant in response to my anecdote, which I'm guessing both yourself and Bessie believed as it wasn't challenged.

Is it any wonder there has been such a negative reaction to many of your posts in this thread? You've displayed sarcasm, condescension, you mock spelling mistakes and now faux cynicism. What do you have in store for us next?

karma_ wrote: »
    It became relevant in response to my anecdote, which I'm guessing both yourself and Bessie believed as it wasn't challenged.

Is it any wonder there has been such a negative reaction to many of your posts in this thread? You've displayed sarcasm, condescension, you mock spelling mistakes and now faux cynicism. What do you have in store for us next?

I wasn't mocking the spelling btw - just the drama-queenery.

I believed your story - Happyman42's? Not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I wasn't mocking the spelling btw - just the drama-queenery.

I believed your story - Happyman42's? Not so much.

Why not?
    I've had hassle from OO members in the North before, and I haven't mentioned it so far in this thread, either!

Even yet, drive into the wrong estate in Northern Ireland with a Southern reg. car, and see what reaction you get.
    You may not be attacked, but you will certainly be in no doubt that you're not welcome - and that's nothing compared to the way things were 15-20 years ago.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Most of the people in Northern Ireland are friendly, no matter their religion, or political persuasion.
    However, to suggest that certain OO/Unionists in Northern Ireland are the equivalent of their Southern counterparts is complete and utter nonsense.

You have repeatedly deflected from the truth in this thread.
    You have repeatedly refused to answer/dismissed valid points - all while pretending to be an unbiased observer.

At this point, you've even resorted to implying that people are lying - all so you can play your imaginary game of "All OO members are whiter than white."

Actually, at this point in time your posts are reminiscent of a certain spokesman who claimed a certain band didn't realise they were marching outside a Catholic Church. Presumably they didn't realise what tune they were playing, either!:rolleyes:

Noreen1 wrote: »
    You have repeatedly refused to answer/dismissed valid points - all while pretending to be an unbiased observer.

At this point, you've even resorted to implying that people are lying - all so you can play your imaginary game of "All OO members are whiter than white."

Heh. If that's what you've made of what I've written here - you really need work on your focus skills.

I don't believe a word of his story - the guy's a fantasist. And that's coming from someone who declared - early on in the thread, mind you - that I'd had the rough treatment from the parade heavies myself in the past. Oh wait - that really doesn't tally with the whole "All OO members are whiter than white." thing I've been pushing - oh wait! YOU made that up.

Away up the road with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

It seems to attract a disproportionate amount of ulgies though. I'd imagine its the socially awkward, the bitter and the lonely. Most normal people would have other pass times. Anytime i see them on TV they are a rare looking bunch. That fat ugly bloke attacking the man recording the march outside the catholic Church seems typical of the OO to me. They seem to attract the worst of the protestants in every way.

Why not?
    I've had hassle from OO members in the North before, and I haven't mentioned it so far in this thread, either!

Even yet, drive into the wrong estate in Northern Ireland with a Southern reg. car, and see what reaction you get.
    You may not be attacked, but you will certainly be in no doubt that you're not welcome - and that's nothing compared to the way things were 15-20 years ago.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Most of the people in Northern Ireland are friendly, no matter their religion, or political persuasion.
    However, to suggest that certain OO/Unionists in Northern Ireland are the equivalent of their Southern counterparts is complete and utter nonsense.

Actually, at this point in time your posts are reminiscent of a certain spokesman who claimed a certain band didn't realise they were marching outside a Catholic Church. Presumably they didn't realise what tune they were playing, either!:rolleyes:

Bolded = truth.

woodoo wrote: »
    Bolded = truth.

Really compelling. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

It seems to attract a disproportionate amount of ulgies though. I'd imagine its the socially awkward, the bitter and the lonely. Most normal people would have other pass times. Anytime i see them on TV they are a rare looking bunch. That fat ugly bloke attacking the man recording the march outside the catholic Church seems typical of the OO to me. They seem to attract the worst of the protestants in every way.
    You can't generalise like that and I don't think humour, if such was intended, is tolerated here. A lot of them are kinda inbred which might be the problem but there is hope, I am a beautiful Protestant who decided to marry an even more beautiful Catholic just to see how the inflitration would work out genetically - you should see our kids :D

You can't generalise like that and I don't think humour, if such was intended, is tolerated here. A lot of them are kinda inbred which might be the problem but there is hope, I am a beautiful Protestant who decided to marry an even more beautiful Catholic just to see how the inflitration would work out genetically - you should see our kids :D

I was messing about a bit alright. But there are some sombre looking old bucks on the marches and they look like they got a slap with the ugly stick.

I was messing about a bit alright. But there are some sombre looking old bucks on the marches and they look like they got a slap with the ugly stick.
    Have you seen the orange women :eek: There does too seem to a bit of a weight issue problem but I put that down to the distance of their strolls being shortened by the powers that be, and the fact that they only seem to deem it necessary to stroll once a year, think they spend the rest of the year on their backsides browsing google maps to see if they can find a more contentious shorter stroll ... and all the while munching Malteesers.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Hmm; NI Catholics who attended mass weekly:

1998 - 70%
    2009 - 34.1%

Seems like the OO are doing something right, and beating the odds.

Would be delighted with those mass figures but suspect the 70% in 1998 is inaccurate

Have you seen the orange women :eek: There does too seem to a bit of a weight issue problem but I put that down to the distance of their strolls being shortened by the powers that be, and the fact that they only seem to deem it necessary to stroll once a year, think they spend the rest of the year on their backsides browsing google maps to see if they can find a more contentious shorter stroll ... and all the while munching Malteesers.

lol does there be tea and buns and cakes in the Orange Hall after the marches?

lol does there be tea and buns and cakes in the Orange Hall after the marches?
    There does indeed, all home baked by the Mothers Union using locally freshly produced protestant eggs and milk from protestant hens and cows - I think you need to be a protestant to know how it all works :)

There does indeed, all home baked by the Mothers Union using locally freshly produced protestant eggs and milk from protestant hens and cows - I think you need to be a protestant to know how it all works :)

Hens milk? Yous must have kept that top secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A glass a day keeps the fenians away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Protestant hens milk?

Is that symbolic milk rather than actual milk created by transubstantiation?

(if that's the correct term)

Yes, just protestant hens mind - if there is one thing you should take from this thread is that all things protestant are rather strange & unique, to be cherished in the eyes of some and rare as f*** in the eyes of others.

• Advertisement

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    Would be delighted with those mass figures but suspect the 70% in 1998 is inaccurate

Those are internal research figures from the Catholic Church for a Bishops' conference, so they seemed to believe them - but who knows?

Protestant hens milk?

Is that symbolic milk rather than actual milk created by transubstantiation?

(if that's the correct term)
    When I said I was Protestant I didn't mean I go to church - it's more a cultural thing in these parts :D I had to go to a funeral once with my spouse in one of them catholic churches - I found that wafer thing tastier than the mouldy ould Brennan's Bread traditionally served in the protestant churches,at which stage it actually becomes the body of Christ, God, King Billy or whoever or if it in fact it ever does is completely irrelevant if its green and mouldy and not sourced from a protestant grain grower.

When I said I was Protestant I didn't mean I go to church - it's more a cultural thing in these parts :D I had to go to a funeral once with my spouse in one of them catholic churches - I found that wafer thing tastier than the mouldy ould Brennan's Bread traditionally served in the protestant churches,at which stage it actually becomes the body of Christ, God, King Billy or whoever or if it in fact it ever does is completely irrelevant if its green and mouldy and not sourced from a protestant grain grower.

You should have insisted on a slug of the priests wine too.

You should have insisted on a slug of the priests wine too.
    Priests :eek: We call them ministers and there are so few of us we ALL get wine, every time.

Priests :eek: We call them ministers and there are so few of us we ALL get wine, every time.

I thought you were talking about the time you went to the catholic church. Would have been a funny sight asking the priest for a drop of the wine to wash down the wafer with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Why not?

drive into the wrong estate in Dublin or look different in scumbag central anywhere and see the reaction you will get.
    there are scumbags in the north who wear loyalist regalia, just like the celtic jersey is the choice of tunic among some scumbags down here. THE OO embraces different classes. maybe if they rid themselves of the working class element things would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

while they "peacefully" walked their Queens Highway in your southern reg car.

Now there's an image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You shouldn't have been kidnapping Protestant kids in the first place.
    Obviously not paying attention earlier in the thread. While you were skulling beer and eating sandwiches in the 'field' this is how the OO behave when they come face to face with what they exist to detest.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    at the love ulster parade a car was torched cos it had a NI reg. listen to the shinners go on about the prods and you will soon realise its no different.

May very well be true and equally reprehensible, but this thread is about the OO and the sectarianism and hate 'enshrined' in the organisation.

5 yrs ago. I drove up behind it and didn't know at that stage how big it was, and to be honest with you I thought the presence of the children would deter any nonsense. Not the first time southern cars have been attacked at parades like this in the border area, so trying to 'force' your way through would have been suicidal. The agressiveness started when they realised the car was a soutern reg. I can take you to the exact spot where it happened and show you the letter (unanswered) that I wrote to the Fivemiletown lodge. In fairness, although it was the nearest town, it may not have been that lodge, we didn't exactly roll down the window to ask and curiously they didn't have a lambeg. Just a group of sad soaking wet old men,(wretched) walking a hedge bound border road at dusk, in bowler hats and sashes.
    My 12 year old still refers to them as 'the men with the funny hats that banged on the roof'

Take it or leave it as the truth, but many would have similar stories.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

drive into the wrong estate in Dublin or look different in scumbag central anywhere and see the reaction you will get.
    there are scumbags in the north who wear loyalist regalia, just like the celtic jersey is the choice of tunic among some scumbags down here. THE OO embraces different classes. maybe if they rid themselves of the working class element things would be better.

You are not comparing like with like. There are scumbags everywhere, they are not represented by a central organisation though, which enshrines sectarianism in their entry requirements and rules.

As for ridding themselves of the working class element, if they did that, they'd have even fewer members. The scumbags are keeping the OO off life support at the moment, because no decent Protestant would go near them. Problem is they tend to be the ones causing incidents like in the OP.

I'd have a lot more respect for the OO if they pulled up individual lodges on behaviour like that in the OP. Whether they are a sectarian organisation is another debate, I couldn't care less about them in general tbh. I've no problem with letting them march if it is done respectfully and peacefully. What does bother me is letting any organisation away with thuggish and provocative behaviour like that in the OP, that many people of all hues in NI have worked very hard to get away from. If the OO publicly stated that that sort of behaviour (which is completely at odds with their supposed ethos by the way) was not acceptable and punished the lodge in question, it would make huge strides in public relations, and they might start to get the respect they crave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Working class loyalists did not create the sectarian recruitment policy at Harland & Wolff, Shorts, FG Wilson and almost every council in the North. I don't know many working class lads who wear bowler hats. There aren't many politicians on the dole.

Advertisement