Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

CiaranMT wrote: »
    LOD and Downey would be able replacements though, with Downey at 12 and Laulala at 13.

LOD broke a bone in his hand against Leinster A. Can't see him being available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I was responding to a poster who was saying that McGrath should move to Munster and when I pointed out that it would only benefit Munster you jumped in to defend them. To be honest I didn't see in the interim that you had said it wasn't a good move for him and if you agreed with me then you really had no reason to have a go at me for calling out the OP.

I think you need to toughen up a bit as for as long as Munster continue to try to chase Leinster players (I've done my best not to include a simile here that my hurt your current weak constitution) you're going to have to get used to people being outspoken, sometimes defensive and even negative on the subject or you'll be deleting another account quite quickly.

Rather than me being precious, I think you need to realise how utterly pathetic and exaggerated your OP was. Fair enough if you think Munster are targeting Leinster players, but making things up and delibritley exaggerating your points along with some inflammatory language like "I hope they give Munster the two fingers" just paints you as childish.

It's also hilarious that you can be so anti Munster for the supposed targeting of Leinster players (Conway being the first since Felix Jones three years ago) considering the players Leinster have brought in from Connacht recently. But I suppose there's nothing wrong with that now is there :rolleyes: (btw, for what it's worth I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but it's hugely hypocritical of you to get on your high horse about Munster doing the exact same thing less frequently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

For what its worth, if the IRFU are going to continue with their NIQ policy, there will be a lot more Irish players moving between the provinces at the behest of the IRFU.
    Only 12 months ago, if someone had suggested a Leinster player would move to Munster during a contract, he'd have been laughed off the forum. But its happened, and I see a situation where trades or swaps in players, esp younger ones will become more & more common imo.

Lelantos wrote: »
    For what its worth, if the IRFU are going to continue with their NIQ policy, there will be a lot more Irish players moving between the provinces at the behest of the IRFU.
    Only 12 months ago, if someone had suggested a Leinster player would move to Munster during a contract, he'd have been laughed off the forum. But its happened, and I see a situation where trades or swaps in players, esp younger ones will become more & more common imo.

and nothing wrong with that. It will end up benefiting Irish rugby in the long run, even if it is hard for some of the more militant fans to accept

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

trouttrout wrote: »
    and nothing wrong with that. It will end up benefiting Irish rugby in the long run, even if it is hard for some of the more militant fans to accept

I don't think anyone has an issue with players moving per se. The example of Conway is a good one. He wasn't getting the game time at Leinster so his move to Munster makes sense. Nothing about the Luke rumour did and it was particularly emotive given the support he's received from Leinster over the last few years. Obviously some individuals take it too far, but those types aren't limited to any one province in all fairness. Sadly those types are consistently the ones getting the attention and being used as a stick to beat the predominantly decent supporters with by their counterparts in other provinces.

At the end of the day I could easily tar Munster supporters as being racist based on how I've seen Nacewa treated in Thomond Park on a number of occasions (monkey noises made when he gets on the ball). Similarly I could claim Ulster fans are all ignorant w****rs after hearing some abuse a disabled child in the RDS. But we all know the people that do these things are in no way representative of the general supporters. The sooner we stop making so much noise about the minority and just bloody well ignore them the better. As the ad says "there's always one". Leave it at that and move on.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has an issue with players moving per se. The example of Conway is a good one. He wasn't getting the game time at Leinster so his move to Munster makes sense. Nothing about the Luke rumour did and it was particularly emotive given the support he's received from Leinster over the last few years. Obviously some individuals take it too far, but those types aren't limited to any one province in all fairness. Sadly those types are consistently the ones getting the attention and being used as a stick to beat the predominantly decent supporters with by their counterparts in other provinces.

At the end of the day I could easily tar Munster supporters as being racist based on how I've seen Nacewa treated in Thomond Park on a number of occasions (monkey noises made when he gets on the ball). Similarly I could claim Ulster fans are all ignorant w****rs after hearing some abuse a disabled child in the RDS. But we all know the people that do these things are in no way representative of the general supporters. The sooner we stop making so much noise about the minority and just bloody well ignore them the better. As the ad says "there's always one". Leave it at that and move on.

Never heard that about Isa, shocking stuff.

Never heard that about Isa, shocking stuff.

Yeah I've heard and seen plenty of shocking behaviour from individuals from every province. The problem with bringing that sort of thing up is that it just adds to the provincial crapfest because it pisses people off and is then used by them as ammo against whatever province it came from. It's a vicious circle. A Leinster fan has issues with Munster fans because of an incident like that, has a go at a Munster fan over it who then has an issue with Leinster fans because of that row. That Munster fan has a go at another Leinster fan and round and round we go. And all because of one or two eejits who should have just been ignored from the off.

You see it on Facebook all the time. One person will come on to stir it up and it kicks off. But if people just ignored the initial comment it would die a death.

Yeah I've heard and seen plenty of shocking behaviour from individuals from every province. The problem with bringing that sort of thing up is that it just adds to the provincial crapfest because it pisses people off and is then used by them as ammo against whatever province it came from. It's a vicious circle. A Leinster fan has issues with Munster fans because of an incident like that, has a go at a Munster fan over it who then has an issue with Leinster fans because of that row. That Munster fan has a go at another Leinster fan and round and round we go. And all because of one or two eejits who should have just been ignored from the off.

You see it on Facebook all the time. One person will come on to stir it up and it kicks off. But if people just ignored the initial comment it would die a death.

Yeah, prob best ignore it myself from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The sooner we stop making so much noise about the minority and just bloody well ignore them the better. As the ad says "there's always one". Leave it at that and move on.

sorry but I couldn't disagree more with that concept.

The things you mention should be reported and dealt with, anyone making such comments or chants should be kicked out and never let come back

There is a huge difference between banter, heckling, booing etc and what you have described. There should be no ignoring it.

The difference in Luke's case is that it is his own "fans" who are making the comments on the basis that he is was supposedly moving to Munster. The level of vitriol in this case and in places like these threads only serve to show how much this Provincial rivalry has been hyped up in the last few years.

Whether you think it or not, it is the small minority who are driving this and contributing to the bad atmospheres and the abuse you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I said it before: When you have 20,000 at a game, there are going to be 200 **** there among them. Happens everywhere and doesn't reflect on values/behaviour of the majority.

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    sorry but I couldn't disagree more with that concept.

The things you mention should be reported and dealt with, anyone making such comments or chants should be kicked out and never let come back

There is a huge difference between banter, heckling, booing etc and what you have described. There should be no ignoring it.

The difference in Luke's case is that it is his own "fans" who are making the comments on the basis that he is was supposedly moving to Munster. The level of vitriol in this case and in places like these threads only serve to show how much this Provincial rivalry has been hyped up in the last few years.

Whether you think it or not, it is the small minority who are driving this and contributing to the bad atmospheres and the abuse you mention.

Sorry, I meant it should be ignored by opposition fans. The only way to deal with that kind of thing is "in-house". If I hear a Leinster fan doing that sort of thing I should be the one to tell them to shut it. If (s)he's the type to do that sort of stuff then they are hardly likely to listen to a provincial rival.

It happened a few years back in the RDS (the 30-0 game) when POC was on the bench. He headed for the changing room ahead of the players at half time and started getting some serious abuse from 2 muppets on the terrace as he passed. They were promptly told to shut up by everyone around them and they didn't open their mouths again.

I was in the terraces for the Sarries game, guy kept telling everyone how he was going to scream everytime Farrell quicked, did it two or three times before someone told him to shut up and that ended it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

You see it on Facebook boards.ie all the time. One person will come on to stir it up and it kicks off. But if people just ignored the initial comment it would die a death.

FYP, agree with the rest of it.

I genuinely think that the vast majority of Leinster fans would have wished Fitzgerald well had he chosen to move, it would have been pretty hypocritical to do otherwise (cf: Mike McCarthy), but of course there'd be one or two muppets saying good riddance etc.

Likewise, had this fairytale actually come true, most Munster fans would have been glad to have a guy with three HC medals and a Lions cap in his pocket but you can be damn sure there'd be a minority of idiots objecting to his south Dublin accent and spiky hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Inpho have pics of today's Munster training, this one of Zebo lifted my spirits big time! http://www.inpho.ie/media/Ga2GU_3Spn8p19Hw_sc3uQ..a?ts=zE9kqCBZChr-gXd8YEf21yzoQa9OH3BoY3Hdyxw6_Gc.a

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wow he mustn't be a million miles away then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

He would be a massive boost for the HC game. I just hope he hasn't been rushed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

athtrasna wrote: »
    Inpho have pics of today's Munster training, this one of Zebo lifted my spirits big time! http://www.inpho.ie/media/Ga2GU_3Spn8p19Hw_sc3uQ..a?ts=zE9kqCBZChr-gXd8YEf21yzoQa9OH3BoY3Hdyxw6_Gc.a

ah seems like he is just doing some of that new anti gravity training so wouldn't look to much into it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is it too optimistic to hope he'll be back for the Quins game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is it too optimistic to hope he'll be back for the Quins game?

No, i think they said a while back he might be back for the Qinns game, but it would be his first game back. From that picture it looks like he's definitely on track for at least that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Rather than me being precious, I think you need to realise how utterly pathetic and exaggerated your OP was. Fair enough if you think Munster are targeting Leinster players, but making things up and delibritley exaggerating your points along with some inflammatory language like "I hope they give Munster the two fingers" just paints you as childish.

If you think that comment is inflammatory then I suggest you're either being extremely precious for taking offense to a mild turn of phrase or you're faking outrage so you can deflect from the issue I'd originally raised about Munster/Munster fans targeting/calling for players (in this case McGrath) who's move would only benefit Munster alone (a post that wasn't even directed at you).
    It's also hilarious that you can be so anti Munster for the supposed targeting of Leinster players (Conway being the first since Felix Jones three years ago) considering the players Leinster have brought in from Connacht recently. But I suppose there's nothing wrong with that now is there :rolleyes: (btw, for what it's worth I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but it's hugely hypocritical of you to get on your high horse about Munster doing the exact same thing less frequently)

Since Jones there's been at minimum confirmed Ruddock, Fitzgerald, Conway and now possibly also McGrath targeted so to say Conway and Jones are the only ones is being deceptive or a straight up lie. I also don't remember any moves between Leinster and Connacht academy products, let alone at least five, so your comparing apples with oranges so it isn't 'the exact same thing'. If Leinster go down the lines of consistently approaching the cream of the Connacht academy when they're about to break into their side then I'd not be happy with them but you appear to have no issue with it though so each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Examples please?

Examples please?

Carr and McCarthy to name two recently. I've no problem with it at all because it works both ways, Connacht have beneffited from the likes of McSharry, White and Hagan too same as Munster have beneffited from Keatley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Carr and McCarthy to name two recently. I've no problem with it at all because it works both ways, Connacht have beneffited from the likes of McSharry, White and Hagan too same as Munster have beneffited from Keatley

And Keatley and POD and probably one or two others I can't remember.

Carr is from Leinster btw, Leinster academy, moved to Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster desperately need him fit for the Quins match.

danthefan wrote: »
    And Keatley and POD and probably one or two others I can't remember.

Carr is from Leinster btw, Leinster academy, moved to Connacht.

Ah ya forgot that about Carr.

Only found out today that Cathal Sheridan is from Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Ah that old chestnut eh?
    McCarthy fine.
    The rest are Leinster academy who have come back, while we've contributed our fair share to Connacht in recent years.
    Don't let Tom Sears fool you, this so called 'pillaging of Connacht' never actually happened if you look at it.

Apparently Munster have signed Gareth Maule

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's one of those players I've seen play a few times but have just not paid any attention to. Is he any good?

Gives strength to the rumours that Munster were after Luke Fitz to play centre for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Any source?

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Any source?

Doing the rounds on MF

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement