Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This thread is comedy gold.

Glad to be of service. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Fireball07 wrote: »
    The non-selection of Stander is baffling.

There is something wrong. I hope it's something to do with being eased in, but it's not. In my opinion, he's definitely good enough. He's a physical presence that none of the other back rows often, he's a good ball carrier and a strong tackler. I don't know what has happened, but it's really strange.

Agreed. Think he is a great player. Maybe he is a troublemaker or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

yimrsg wrote: »
    Could it be that Stander's wedding/honeymoon coincides with a HC weekend and he'd be unavailable?

dont think hes getting married until the summer.bit strange alrite from looking at some of his twitter posts he seems happy to be here and so does the missus

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LorcanN

Fitzgerald being linked with Munster? Seems like an unlikely situation and even if true would be a very risky signing. http://joe.ie/rugby/rugby-news/which-leinster-star-has-been-linked-with-a-move-to-munster-0035707-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

LorcanN wrote: »
    Fitzgerald being linked with Munster? Seems like an unlikely situation and even if true would be a very risky signing. http://joe.ie/rugby/rugby-news/which-leinster-star-has-been-linked-with-a-move-to-munster-0035707-1

Maybe risky but I'd have Fitz in Red anyday. Great player. Perfect replacement for oldman Dougie;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

CoDy1 wrote: »

Maybe risky but I'd have Fitz in Red anyday. Great player. Perfect replacement for oldman Dougie;)

Strong rumour in Limerick this morning from a usually reliable source that Fitz has signed for Munster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

phog wrote: »
    Strong rumour in Limerick this morning from a usually reliable source that Fitz has signed for Munster.

I genuinely would be amazed!

It was my understanding that Munster couldn't offer him more money than Leinster so financially it doesn't make sense.

I have to say I think he'll be a loss to Leinster but mainly because we're losing so many other back three players.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    The non-selection of Stander is baffling.

There is something wrong. I hope it's something to do with being eased in, but it's not. In my opinion, he's definitely good enough. He's a physical presence that none of the other back rows often, he's a good ball carrier and a strong tackler. I don't know what has happened, but it's really strange.

How could he be added, last time round he was injured when Coughlan was added, of the three added yesterday, one had to be a front row, Sheridan was added to replace Stringer who's staying in Bath and Dineen is added as cover for our injured backs. Stander may have been an option there but the experiment of using forwards as backs hasn't worked too well in the past.

CatFromHue wrote: »

I genuinely would be amazed!

It was my understanding that Munster couldn't offer him more money than Leinster so financially it doesn't make sense.

I have to say I think he'll be a loss to Leinster but mainly because we're losing so many other back three players.

On the money thing, he was injured last time around and may not have got a great deal, he's injured again this time so maybe Munster could raise the offer in that they're willing to take a punt on him? Do the same rules apply to injured players? Maybe it's nothing to do with money, maybe he's happier with what was offered around game time or what position he'll play at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

How could he be added, last time round he was injured when Coughlan was added, of the three added yesterday, one had to be a front row, Sheridan was added to replace Stringer who's staying in Bath and Dineen is added as cover for our injured backs. Stander may have been an option there but the experiment of using forwards as backs hasn't worked too well in the past.

So you reckon Dineen will be needed and LOD, Earls and Zebo will all be out then? Even if they are, Munster have lots of reserve backs in the HEC squad.

It's also about the possibilities if Munster win in London. I'd prefer to have the option of Stander in Clermont than have Dineen as an unused squad player for the remaining knockout games.

Any way it's spun, it's a strange decision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

On the money thing, he was injured last time around and may not have got a great deal, he's injured again this time so maybe Munster could raise the offer in that they're willing to take a punt on him? Do the same rules apply to injured players? Maybe it's nothing to do with money, maybe he's happier with what was offered around game time or what position he'll play at.

I remember in Jackman's book and Mike McCarthy moving to Leinster that the provinces couldn't get into a financial bidding war so it can't be money related.

The game time doesn't make sense as he's usually in the first team and with Nacewa going it removes some competition.

The position could be the only one if he wants to play full back, but then if Jones finds form again that could backfire badly.

So you reckon Dineen will be needed and LOD, Earls and Zebo will all be out then? Even if they are, Munster have lots of reserve backs in the HEC squad.

It's also about the possibilities if Munster win in London. I'd prefer to have the option of Stander in Clermont than have Dineen as an unused squad player for the remaining knockout games.

Any way it's spun, it's a strange decision.

Only strange if you want look for it. It's very simple really but if posters want to make something of it, off you go.

CatFromHue wrote: »

I remember in Jackman's book and Mike McCarthy moving to Leinster that the provinces couldn't get into a financial bidding war so it can't be money related.

The game time doesn't make sense as he's usually in the first team and with Nacewa going it removes some competition.

The position could be the only one if he wants to play full back, but then if Jones finds form again that could backfire badly.

I didn't read Jackman's book but McCarthy wasn't injured at the time of contract discussions Luke is and that could have a baring on how the offers were made.

I didn't read Jackman's book but McCarthy wasn't injured at the time of contract discussions Luke is and that could have a baring on how the offers were made.

Well you didn't miss much in not reading Jackman's book anyway :pac:

Still though I can't see the provinces being allowed to offer a player different deals financially whether he's injured or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Only strange if you want look for it. It's very simple really but if posters want to make something of it, off you go.

Well it depends on your opinion, only simple if you want to spin it that way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

If available would Stander make your HEC matchday squad Phog?

shuffol wrote: »

If available would Stander make your HEC matchday squad Phog?

Ahead of Williams, yes but I'm not sure other than that. He's been a great servant to Munster and Ireland but he's time has come.

If we pick up a few backrow injuries this will be a bad decision if we pick up a few injuries in our backs putting Dineen back into the squad will be the correct decision. It's crystal ball gazing at the moment

I was at the Italy game and got chatting to a few lads as we waited for the tram, one of them asked me who would replace Earls on the H/cup squad and I said Dineen so I'm not one bit surprised with the 2 lads being added.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Maybe Leinster want him to pass a medical before his contract starts while Munster are willing to take him as is whether he is broken or not.

To be honest we don't have a clue and are outsiders looking in. On one level I would feel betrayed if Fitz went anywhere unless it was a massive salary difference after Leinster stuck by him last season knowing that he wouldn't be fit for the first half of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Maybe Leinster want him to pass a medical before his contract starts while Munster are willing to take him as is whether he is broken or not.

To be honest we don't have a clue and are outsiders looking in. On one level I would feel betrayed if Fitz went anywhere unless it was a massive salary difference after Leinster stuck by him last season knowing that he wouldn't be fit for the first half of the season.

How did all this Fitz to Munster stuff come out again? Was it just from the Conor George piece on Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Ahead of Williams, yes but I'm not sure other than that. He's been a great servant to Munster and Ireland but he's time has come.

If we pick up a few backrow injuries this will be a bad decision if we pick up a few injuries in our backs putting Dineen back into the squad will be the correct decision. It's crystal ball gazing at the moment

I was at the Italy game and got chatting to a few lads as we waited for the tram, one of them asked me who would replace Earls on the H/cup squad and I said Dineen so I'm not one bit surprised with the 2 lads being added.

I was more referring to where you'd put him in your pecking order of backrows, I think right now Penney doesnt see him as one of his top 4 backrows and thats all it boils down to. If he saw him in his starting lineup then he'd be in the squad.

• Advertisement

A blind man can see he's broke at the moment, why would either need a medical to know this?

A blind man can see he's broke at the moment, why would either need a medical to know this?

I mean maybe Leinster's offer is contingent on a medical at the start of the season or something so if he doesn't pass Leinster have an out.

I dunno

shuffol wrote: »

I was more referring to where you'd put him in your pecking order of backrows, I think right now Penney doesnt see him as one of his top 4 backrows and thats all it boils down to. If he saw him in his starting lineup then he'd be in the squad.

Sorry, I read your post as Stringer not Stander. Yes, I'd love to see Stander in the H/cup but that's based on hearsay rather that what I've seen. But where could he have been squeezed in, when he arrived Coughlan got the available spot and to be honest he fully deserved it. Now IMHO, with Earls' injury and Williams looking really off form two backs being added was the correct choice.

I mean maybe Leinster's offer is contingent on a medical at the start of the season or something so if he doesn't pass Leinster have an out.

I dunno

None of us know but it seems that his injury will have him out at the start of the season anyway so again why would a medical be sought by Leinster unless they want rid off him and know he'll fail the medical. Some posters like to look for conspiracy theories. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Are Munster really that stuck for centers without Earls?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Are Munster really that stuck for centers without Earls?

No, as I pointed out earlier below are the centres and back three available to Munster in the HC (presuming that Earls, LOD, Zebo all miss the Quinns game which I dont think is that likely)

Denis Hurley, Felix Jones, Doug Howlett, Danny Barnes, JJ Hanrahan, Johne Murphy, Casey Laulala, James Downey, Ian Keatley

Bolded are the ones that can play centre (Murphy a push I know).

There's no shortage of players there so the only thing I can take from it is that Penney believes Dineen is greater improvement to the backs that are on offer than Stander is to the backrow that are in the squad. Not sure who that's a bigger slight on, the back options or Stander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Heard off a very reliable source there that it's more or less a done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mario Jardel

are Munster being linked with any NIQ players?

are Munster being linked with any NIQ players?
    Lualala WDP and Stander are contracted, while Munster want to renew Botha. Howlett is the one over, Munster aren't going to look at a NIQ and push their captain out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lualala WDP and Stander are contracted, while Munster want to renew Botha. Howlett is the one over, Munster aren't going to look at a NIQ and push their captain out.

Stander is a project player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement