Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

harlequins lose their 3rd aviva game on the trot ahead of next week
    having just turned on tg4 you can probably ignore the above making a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

having just turned on tg4 you can probably ignore the above making a difference

Woeful stuff alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

harlequins lose their 3rd aviva game on the trot ahead of next week

Could and probably should have won it

If anything it will be a stick for O Shea to beat them with for next week

They have Robshaw, Monye, Williams, Turner-Hall and Fa'asavalu to bring in next week

Munster will have to hope for a wet day. I feel if it's dry, the pace at Quins play at will be way too much for Munster. Some of the Munster lads looked very 1-paced and lethargic tonight. O Shea will have Care tapping everything

You know that cliched line about doing the same thing over again and expecting different results, where does that leave Penney's game-plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

What's Munster's biggest problem; players incompatible with the tactics or a lack of depth when regular first choice players aren't available?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Clegg wrote: »
    What's Munster's biggest problem; players incompatible with the tactics or a lack of depth when regular first choice players aren't available?

Penney persisting with poor players.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »

Poor selection and lack of depth for sure. I don't know about the tactics one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

Missed the game tonight but sounds like an awful shocker. Was the performance that bad really ???

Just thinking that it must be coming up to season ticket renewal time. That's gonna be a hard sell with the recent performances.

Saw someone claiming Stander's being paid 250k a year.. Surely he's on nowhere near that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Deano7788 wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not exactly filled with confidence by Penney's selections at the moment. Aside from those 3 being undercooked, and even ignoring ROG ahead of Keatley, we have Williams starting at 9 a week before the biggest match of the season. We also have a crash ball merchant at 12 but rather than do that to try to create space we just pass from side to side.
    Penny picks his teams with one hand tied behind his back,The irfu has a big say on selections especially when it come to rog over keatly,Killer over wdp and archer over botha.i EXPECT A SERIOUS CLEAR OUT OF DEAD WOOD OVER THE SUMMER

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Saw someone claiming Stander's being paid 250k a year.. Surely he's on nowhere near that?!

I doubt that. He's a young talent that Munster are taking a punt on, doubt they offered him that much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Penny picks his teams with one hand tied behind his back,The irfu has a big say on selections especially when it come to rog over keatly,Killer over wdp and archer over botha.i EXPECT A SERIOUS CLEAR OUT OF DEAD WOOD OVER THE SUMMER

ROG has been dropped from Ireland. The IRFU aren't forcing anything there (and I don't think they ever were quite frankly). Penney has simply either bottled the call or misjudged it horrifically.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    ROG has been dropped from Ireland. The IRFU aren't forcing anything there (and I don't think they ever were quite frankly). Penney has simply either bottled the call or misjudged it horrifically.

I said it before, the "Kidney made me do it" card can't be played anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

There will be incredible internal pressure on Penney from the senior players and management and the alickadoos in the inner circle. Don't underestimate the effect either of the dribble that emanates from the likes of Lenihan, Sheahan, Quinlan et al.

jacothelad wrote: »
    There will be incredible internal pressure on Penney from the senior players and management and the alickadoos in the inner circle. Don't underestimate the effect either of the dribble that emanates from the likes of Lenihan, Sheahan, Quinlan et al.

I don't doubt it, but he's paid handsomely to coach on the assumption that he can overcome such things, otherwise he's not much use. Particularly when the correct solution is so obvious.

I'm not suggesting Keatley would solve Munster's problems - not even close frankly. Penney has many other things to overcome and many other questions to be answered about what he is doing with the team. Halfback is where he has most obviously messed up though. Neither Williams or ROG should be within an arse's roar of that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think we all know by now that you can't stand ROG, but his heir apparent came on at around 60 minutes on the clock with the score at 30-17 and the final score ended up at 51-24. I no more blame Keatley for the debacle than I do ROG but some people can't resist knocking a man when he's struggling for form. :(

I think we all know by now that you can't stand ROG, but his heir apparent came on at around 60 minutes on the clock with the score at 30-17 and the final score ended up at 51-24. I no more blame Keatley for the debacle than I do ROG but some people can't resist knocking a man when he's struggling for form. :(

I'm not knocking ROG (for once). I'm knocking Penney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I wouldn't even say he is struggling for form. He has been taking the ball very flat the last two weeks and has been doing well to bring in difference runners on different angles. Massive improvement over where he was a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Even your avatar has red tinted glasses. The man should be put down. (in a rugby context). He's toxic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Last night was very very disappointing, BUT (red tinted glasses here), we've a history of under-performing the week before the Quarter finals and we were missing 3 of our starters along with PoC just coming back.

In regards to Stander, no way is an unproven project player on €250,000, I would imagine that would be a top scale "potential" salary though if he was to get capped for Ireland and win loads of stuff, I would imagine he'd me on around €80,000 which would be ~1 million SA Rand

• Advertisement

ROG shouldn't have a 'carte blanche' from legitimate criticism. No decent poster on here wants to see him do badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

ROG shouldn't have a 'carte blanche' from legitimate criticism. No decent poster on here wants to see him do badly.

Depends on your interpretation of what legitimate criticism is. For instance is age a legitimate criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Poor of them to allow Strings who is held in very high regard to be shipped off to Bath.

ROG is not even Munster's main problem. He's just indicative of the strange selections going on. Duncan Williams continued selection is worse and the whole Stander thing is just weird. That on top of a game plan that just isn't working has them where they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If Duncan Williams is in the 23 for next weekend I might have to stop watching Munster under Penney. Useless doesn't come close to describing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Sheridan put in two marvelous tackles when he came on, one to save a certain try. With a little work I think he could be a very good player

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

That may sound good but it's a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ah here, if ROG missed some of the tackles that Laulala has for Munster the match threads would be full of GIFs of him. Some players seem to attract more criticism from certain quarters than others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ROG even got spoken to the ref last night for his tough tackling :D:D

But yeah Laulala was all over the place in defence last night.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    If Duncan Williams is in the 23 for next weekend I might have to stop watching Munster under Penney. Useless doesn't come close to describing him.

The 23's already a done deal though isn't it?

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11721.php

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement