Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Donnacha Ryan, Peter O'Mahony and Conor Murray will resume training next week

Thats a strange one to put in an official update seeing as they all trained yesterday in CIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Thats a strange one to put in an official update seeing as they all trained yesterday in CIT.

I am only guessing but maybe it was non-contact yesterday. They were all carrying knocks from 6N.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mohawk wrote: »
    I am only guessing but maybe it was non-contact yesterday. They were all carrying knocks from 6N.

They may well be held back till the Quins game, but this doesn't look like non contact to me http://www.sportsfile.com/id/736483/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Munster: F Jones; D Howlett Capt., C Laulala, J Downey, J Murphy; R O’Gara, D Williams; D Kilcoyne, M Sherry, BJ Botha; Donncha O’Callaghan, P O’Connell; P Butler, T O’Donnell, J Coughlan.
    Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, S Archer, B Holland, N Ronan, C Sheridan, I Keatley, I Dineen

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11742.php

Disappointed with the halfback pairing. Hurley out injured, hence Murphy to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Wee bit strange not to give Ryan, Murray and POM a runout before the HEC QF no?

No game in three weeks for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

halfback pairing on the bench looks far more enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why is Williams starting? Sheridan seemed streets ahead of him in the Connacht game.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Thought O'Gara did well the last time out against Connacht but very surprised Keatley isn't getting a start.

No prizes for who'll be wearing 10 for the Quins game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭phog

Wee bit strange not to give Ryan, Murray and POM a runout before the HEC QF no?

No game in three weeks for them.

How's it strange? They're obviously carrying knocks as Thomond's post above indicated they'll resume training next week. I'd sooner they'd be available for the Quins game even with a 3 weeks than been risked for Glasgow and end up not being available for our H/cup Q/Final. Maybe not ideal but certainly not strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So Murray actually was carrying a knock after the 6 nations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hadn't heard about Murray carrying a knock but it's common knowledge that Ryan was playing with an injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I hadn't heard about Murray carrying a knock but it's common knowledge that Ryan was playing with an injury.

And PoM? Definitely no talk of him being injured after the 6n. Odd that they would specify Hurley's injury but no others. And Ryan and POM both trained yesterday.

Whether it's tactical or injury, Munster are risking being seriously undercooked for the QF.

And PoM? Definitely no talk of him being injured after the 6n. Odd that they would specify Hurley's injury but no others.

Whether it's tactical or injury, Munster are risking being seriously undercooked for the QF.

I don't get it.

I know the internationals can only play a certain number of games within a "block", but Munster aren't making the Rabo playoffs anyway so that's two possible games gone. If we lose to Quins our competitive season is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

POM came off nearly every 6N game with an injury. Gareth Maule is NIQ so wouldn't be sanctioned by the IRFU. Robbie Freuan would be a good choice of centre though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

Didn't Conor Murray mention he had an injury when interviewed after French game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

hendo12 wrote: »
    POM came off nearly every 6N game with an injury. Gareth Maule is NIQ so wouldn't be sanctioned by the IRFU. Robbie Freuan would be a good choice of centre though!!!

As far as I'm aware he's played for the Junior All Blacks so would be tied to NZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Those players were most likely wrecked after such a physical 6 nations, no harm to have them fresh for the Quins. Plus keeps Quins guessing about what kind of game we're going to play if there are key players missing from previous games.
    This game against Glaws should only be about getting some game time for a few players. We are effectively out of this competition, risking lads who are not 100% would be daft. Expect to see O Connell brought off after 50 minutes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

There's a nice radio piece about the proposed changes to the Munster senior cup here.

The proposed change would mean that students transferring schools wouldn't be able to play senior cup for a year after the transfer. The presenter talks to Keith Earls, Munchins coach/teacher and TG4 pundit John Broderick, and some current Munchins pupils about how this could affect disadvantaged students getting a Leaving Cert/playing for Munster. Its an interesting perspective anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

There's a nice radio piece about the proposed changes to the Munster senior cup here.

The proposed change would mean that students transferring schools wouldn't be able to play senior cup for a year after the transfer. The presenter talks to Keith Earls, Munchins coach/teacher and TG4 pundit John Broderick, and some current Munchins pupils about how this could affect disadvantaged students getting a Leaving Cert/playing for Munster. Its an interesting perspective anyway.
    To be fair this is to stop kids from transferring schools primarily to play senior cup rugby which is fair enough. This proposal will not affect students getting a Leaving Cert. It stops kids moving for 1 year to play senior cup rugby.

The way I see is it discourages the big schools "poaching" the better players of the weaker schools.

However would this stand up in court, if a case was brought by disgruntled parents?

• Advertisement

Could it not also lead to them being "poached" earlier, based on their Junior Cup performances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Could it not also lead to them being "poached" earlier, based on their Junior Cup performances?
    It may see kids moving schools earlier but in the main this is taking about kids who will have been seen playing youths rugby and junior cup wouldn't come into the equation

ormond lad wrote: »
    To be fair this is to stop kids from transferring schools primarily to play senior cup rugby which is fair enough. This proposal will not affect students getting a Leaving Cert. It stops kids moving for 1 year to play senior cup rugby.

I understand why the rule is being brought in, but I think that the link brings up an interesting perspective on the rule changes. Getting the chance to play senior cup could be the difference for a lot of students between going to school and dropping out.

Why should a student be hindered in following/achieving their dreams because of decisions they have made before they were 16, or a decision their parents made for them.

phog wrote: »
    How's it strange? They're obviously carrying knocks as Thomond's post above indicated they'll resume training next week. I'd sooner they'd be available for the Quins game even with a 3 weeks than been risked for Glasgow and end up not being available for our H/cup Q/Final. Maybe not ideal but certainly not strange.

They're alreayd back training, and what knock did POM have?

As someone said, there's a big risk there of being undercooked going into the Quins game, even a bench appearance would be worthwhile.

No need for the constant avid defence of Munster by the way!

They're alreayd back training, and what knock did POM have?

As someone said, there's a big risk there of being undercooked going into the Quins game, even a bench appearance would Tbe worthwhile.

No need for the constant avid defence of Munster by the way!

Penney seems to have weighed up his options and decided that he's better off risking the team/players being overcooked than giving the Quins video analysts more footage to review.

Penney seems to have weighed up his options and decided that he's better off risking the team/players being overcooked than giving the Quins video analysts more footage to review.

Ah come on, that's almost certainly not the case, COS would be well aware of what the three lads bring the the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

meh, one would think the medical staff know what's best.

To be honest I'm not exactly filled with confidence by Penney's selections at the moment. Aside from those 3 being undercooked, and even ignoring ROG ahead of Keatley, we have Williams starting at 9 a week before the biggest match of the season. We also have a crash ball merchant at 12 but rather than do that to try to create space we just pass from side to side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Peter O Mahony's agent should really get on this soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

harlequins lose their 3rd aviva game on the trot ahead of next week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement