Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carer's allowance wait time?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I rang them this morning. Sent the form in on the 19/7 and they have received it at last. Anyone know if it's a 9 month waiting time from when you send or a 9 month waiting time from when they scan it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, they must be still stuck on november cus i applied 21st nov (applied 23rd september, but the sw gave me wrong form, they gave me carers benefit form) rang 2 weeks ago and told it be 5-6 weeks b4 i hear anything. My Mother passed away in May, so not sure if i will get any rebate, i hope i do because im in arrears with mortgage---Refuse. dreading xmas trying to get stuff for 4 kids.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I have deleted nearly a page of back biting arguing ect,If you dont have info on waiting times dont post.Any further off topic posting will result in a forum ban!!

mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭So Annoyed

Got a letter today to say I was approved. I'm in shock...lol.
    It's not going to be backdated unfortunately, but I'm just so glad its been sorted.

I applied in may last year,so the waiting time has been ages.

Good luck to everyone else waiting.

Strange that they didn't back date it but congrats.

A weight off your shoulders no date.

The waiting times are long to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Ah thats great news So Annoyed but why has it not been back dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭So Annoyed

It says that it's been granted from the 1st of sept 2012, as his condition has deteriorated over the last year. Ie...he wasn't sick enough before the 1st of sept...lol.

As I said, I'm just so glad it's sorted, a bit disappointed about no arrears, but glad not to have to start the whole process again.

It's such a long waiting time for everyone :mad:

Jesus that's a pity, but at least you finally got it and you dont have the added hassle of having to fight any more for the allowance. I wish you and your husband all the best.The rest of us for the moment will hopefully await some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

Jasssss wrote: »
    Jesus that's a pity, but at least you finally got it and you dont have the added hassle of having to fight any more for the allowance. I wish you and your husband all the best.The rest of us for the moment will hopefully await some good news.

Thank god good news for someone its nice to hear ... Strange not backdated but must be relief after all this time waiting... Best of luck so annoyed 

Linda Dub, have you had any update yet on your review.

• Advertisement

So Annoyed wrote: »
    It says that it's been granted from the 1st of sept 2012, as his condition has deteriorated over the last year. Ie...he wasn't sick enough before the 1st of sept...lol.

As I said, I'm just so glad it's sorted, a bit disappointed about no arrears, but glad not to have to start the whole process again.

It's such a long waiting time for everyone :mad:

My advice would be to question the arrears with them and fight for it. You've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Beckmayo

Just off the phone to them again, they say they are working on appeals in July which is strange because i got my appeal approved in July and still haven't heard anything!!!

Linda Dub, have you had any update yet on your review.
    Nothing at all jasssss still ring each week n still with doctors almost four months waiting reveiw along with nine months for original application..... Unbelivable be lucky if hear back by xmas :((( how bout you how long you wait now? Seems some people not get any backdated payments either after such a long wait ?

Linda compared to your wait my wait of just coming up to 33 weeks is nothing.I know hindsight is a great thing but could you have gone straight to appeal and skipped the review or do you have to go down the road of review before appealing.4 months seems exceptionally long time for a review but ill keep my fingers crossed that you hear soon.By the way would you think of asking to speak to a supervisor I did and she rang me back later that day now having said that there was very little she could do but she was a nice person.She might be able to do something for you.Your wait is one of the longest i have seen on the forum considering its not even at an appeal stage.

Just keep annoying them with calls mail and letters. Someone will eventually deal with it.

As bad as it sounds this technique does work.

Also contact Joan Burtons office with a mail explaining everything.

Linda compared to your wait my wait of just coming up to 33 weeks is nothing.I know hindsight is a great thing but could you have gone straight to appeal and skipped the review or do you have to go down the road of review before appealing.4 months seems exceptionally long time for a review but ill keep my fingers crossed that you hear soon.By the way would you think of asking to speak to a supervisor I did and she rang me back later that day now having said that there was very little she could do but she was a nice person.She might be able to do something for you.Your wait is one of the longest i have seen on the forum considering its not even at an appeal stage.

I was advised to go for reveiw first as was told would hear back in couple weeks!!!! Ha 16 weeks later still waiting... I said it to girl i got through to yesterday that would i have been better off going for appeal
    But she said that would take much longer? I cant appeal until i get reveiw decision so i have no choice but to wait absolute nightmare be soo easy just to tell them forget whole thing but i cant afford to !!!!!!
    I will ask to speak supervisor when i ring next but dont think be much she can do while its with doctors and same docs deal with all sw claims incl.disability invalidity etc so obviously in a long queue to be looked at :((((

Oh right,I did not think Linda that the same doctors dealt with all these applications.Even so,you should be hearing soon.Smellysocks, I know what you mean by ringing and annoying them but for some reason it does not seem to matter what you do with this allowance you just have to wait until you get to your application and every TD will tell you the same thing about carers allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

It will be a year next week since my original application went in, they received my review request in mid July, I can't believe that I'm still awaiting this decision, it's heartbreaking :(

aileach wrote: »
    It will be a year next week since my original application went in, they received my review request in mid July, I can't believe that I'm still awaiting this decision, it's heartbreaking :(

I know aileach we were only a couple weeks in the difference when we both applied last sept.... What a long year its been... My parents medical reveiws are doctors since 13 june i was told tho i sent it in end may.... How much longer do we have to wait!!!!!!!!!!!! Extremely frustrated and angry at this stage !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mother applied in April this year and through our local TD she got her application reviewed, refusal and appeal done in the past 4 weeks. The letter arrived yesterday backdated to April.

Get onto your local TD

• Advertisement

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Mother applied in April this year and through our local TD she got her application reviewed, refusal and appeal done in the past 4 weeks. The letter arrived yesterday backdated to April.

Get onto your local TD

Thats great beer baron but hiw come your mother got sorted and omly applied april when most of us are waiting a year or near enough... Strange as far as i know some tds say nothing can be done about the long wait!!!!!! Your family must be one of the lucky ones getting that done so quick!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

Beer Baron wrote: »

Get onto your local TD

Was it a FG TD? I had a meeting with TD a while ago and he said he'd write a letter to try to speed up the process, I'm not sure if he did or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gal girl

Hi everybody.I applied for carers allowance in Feb 2012. I am caring for my father in law who can't do anything for himself. I was due to return to work a year ago but couldn't because he needed care. Anyways I got my local td on to it and all that happened was the carers section sent td a letter back saying when my application was received and that it would be processed in due course. I rang carers section today and the lady told me that they were working on October and Nov 2011. Is there no exact time frame for processing applications?

No,

There is no exact time frame. Social protection are trying to say that it's 24 weeks!! It's double that at least.

I still think that it would do no harm to keep on at your td's.

Apart fromn that it's just grin and bear it.

I have gone to three different TD'S from the different party's and got the same answer.That is, you have to wait until they get to your application .There is nothing they can do to speed up your application other then put a parlamentary Question to the Minister asking for an up date and they all seem to get the same answer i.e When all investigations into your claim are dealt with the Department will be in touch.There is no time frame .Just take a look at all the different story's on this forum and the amount of time people are waiting.

I have gone to three different TD'S from the different party's and got the same answer.That is, you have to wait until they get to your application .There is nothing they can do to speed up your application other then put a parlamentary Question to the Minister asking for an up date and they all seem to get the same answer i.e When all investigations into your claim are dealt with the Department will be in touch.There is no time frame .Just take a look at all the different story's on this forum and the amount of time people are waiting.

I rang again this morn and lady told me i seem to be very long awaiting decision on a reveiw that should normally only take couple weeks !!! Putting note to docs to try reveiw it sooner if .... We will see its obvious staff on end phone prob get hassled more than anyone else and they only do their job....no control over decisions whatsoever.....anyhow ive to ring back in a month:((((((((((((((

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Beckmayo

So i finally got a letter this morning sayin i Will get weekly payments from nxt week. Just one this tho, they said i would be gettin €204 per week, yet my grandmother is 83! Should i be gettin the €239 rate?

All in all i first applied 6th of June 2011 was refused in Feb then appealed; that's how long it has taken me!!!

Beckmayo wrote: »
    So i finally got a letter this morning sayin i Will get weekly payments from nxt week. Just one this tho, they said i would be gettin €204 per week, yet my grandmother is 83! Should i be gettin the €239 rate?

All in all i first applied 6th of June 2011 was refused in Feb then appealed; that's how long it has taken me!!!

Ah good news at last Beckmayo best of luck i have not clue about rates as i would only be entitled to half rate if i was approved... I think maybe the actual carer has to be over 66 to get the extra money but im not sure if im right about that ...

Beckmayo , that is the wrong rate.Get back on to them.

• Advertisement

Beckmayo , that is the wrong rate.Get back on to them.

Got this off citzen advice website
    Rates

Carer's Allowance rates in 2012:

Carer. Maximum weekly rate
    Aged under 66, caring for 1 person €204
    Aged under 66, caring for 2 or more €306
    Aged 66 or over and caring for 1 person €239
    Aged 66+, caring for 2 person €358.50
    Increase for a Qualified Child
    €29.80 (full-rate)

€14.90 (half-rate)

This discussion has been closed.