Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carer's allowance wait time?

Options
  • 18-06-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

tried posting to another thread but it has been closed - does anyone have an update as to the current wait time for carer's allowance?

I'm onto week 25 since my application went in> anyone know what month they are currently working on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

September and its taking 6 or 7 weeks to get through a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

i spoke to carers on friday last week, they were working on september 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

I'm waiting 20 weeks now.Can anyone give me some advice.At the moment I am struggling while waiting on this.I know there is an option to go to our social welfare office but my husband is working and I have been told that this officer will not entertain me.I am already thinking about getting books,school uniforms etc.Would I be able to apply for the back to school allowance even tough I am still waiting for the carers allowance.I fit the means test but have to be in receipt of a social welfare payment which I am still waiting to find out if I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

I applied at the end of september 2011 and got my refusal letter this week :( - now the long wait of review/appeal - I am so frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

update anyone?

• Advertisement

No, I have heard nothing but I am a couple of weeks behind you.This is a terrible situation to be in.The carers must have the longest waiting time out of all the benefits.You really have to sit tight and wait but it is so hard because no-one else will wait for their money when we have to cough up for our bills.Please god I hope it is soon.

No, I have heard nothing but I am a couple of weeks behind you.This is a terrible situation to be in.The carers must have the longest waiting time out of all the benefits.You really have to sit tight and wait but it is so hard because no-one else will wait for their money when we have to cough up for our bills.Please god I hope it is soon.Oh Ailreach I am so sorry to hear you were refused but try and keep going and get your appeal in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi all, I had to give my job up in jan of this year as I had to become my partners carer due to illness. I applied for carers middle of January and I know I'm in a long line of people waiting, the bit of savings we had is gone so my question is I'm on benifit(€188) what will I get(if I get it) on carers or am I wasting time and try to get back into part time work.my partner is in bed 15/17hours a day and when he's up needs help to do everything!! If anybody can tell me in black and white thank you as I don't understand the carers website.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 finni S

i was on carers benefit for 2 years after my mother had a stroke and lots of other ailments, i got this for 2 years which ended november 2011,in ocotober 2011 the carers benefit section sent me the carers allowance form to fill in which i did,and sent it away on october 23 2011 AND i still dont know if i qualify or not! How hard can it be to tell people yes or no? My mother is older and sicker and can do nothing for herself or walk anywhere so why torture me for so long? I am so tired of ringing the social welfare carers section you could ring 4/5 times a day waiting for hours while it rings out or as is lately doesnt ring at all.

Just spoke with Carer's Association and their reports back are that the wait time for a decision is 9 months. Someone in their office spoke with Carer's Allowance section this morning who advised that they were working on September 2011.

When I spoke with Carer's Allowance Section in mid April, I was told that they were working on September 2011. I'm starting to think that they may have been instructed to advise callers of this so that anything less than 9 months will be seen as a bonus....

• Advertisement

fINNI, You would think that because you were already getting the carer's benefit that it would nearly transfer over to the allowance providing your means satisfied their criteria.You should not be required to wait like this again.Also I dont know what month the department are saying they are on because I have given up calling them however, the minister for social protection and family affairs is quoting 28 weeks on average per case when being asked by TD'S representing their constituent's.

Jasssss,you would think you would just transfare from one to the other but oh no it couldnt possibly be that simple,carers allowance is for the long term and carers benefit the short term,(2 years is short term!)I like most people waiting i am at my wits end a return bus ticket to the mater hospital is 18.50 i have paid that 3 times this month.The worst thing is as i didnt return to work after the carers benefit ran out my job is gone, i mean why did they send me the application form to fill in.

Finni, what if you got in touch with your local TD and explained your situation.The fact that you were already getting carers has to count for something. I mean the only difference really is the fact that this is means tested which should not take the department this long to check .Have you been cut off carers since oct 2011.

yes, i have been without carers since october,i ring them every week,on friday they said its with the supervisor and they are only on septembers applications.Its just crazy,my mother has had a stroke,rhuematic fever, 2 mechanical heart valves,on warfarin ,irregular heart beat, sky high blood pressure, gout , heart and lung disease, her conditions only get worse as she gets older, she doesnt do anything or cant walk anywhere .I did o to my TD but have to hear back yet.

Finni, I hope you get an answer quickly.I only applied in feb and I am climbing the walls at the moment with this wait.Has anyone else heard anything.

I just spoke with Carer's Allowance Section - they are currently working on October 2011 so hopefully my claim will be sorted sooner , rather than later.

Endofrainbow do you mind me asking are you caring for an adult or a child.I'm caring for a child and I thought that because I did not need the medical section on the form filled out my application would be quicker.But it does not seem to make a difference.I cannot believe that the wait is this long.It is an absolute disgrace.Surely someone can intervene and sort this mess out.

I don't think it makes a difference time-wise who you are caring for, applications appear to be done by date received regardless of circumstances.

I am caring for a 90 year old and while I understand each case is different, I do think it's the fairest way - frustrating yes, but who would decide who gets priority over anyone else?

I would imagine a priority system would lead to even further delays. Guy I spoke to this morning indicated that the average wait time is 30 weeks - I am 29 weeks tomorrow - not much more I can do than grin and bear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

I don't think it makes a difference time-wise who you are caring for, applications appear to be done by date received regardless of circumstances.

I am caring for a 90 year old and while I understand each case is different, I do think it's the fairest way - frustrating yes, but who would decide who gets priority over anyone else?

I would imagine a priority system would lead to even further delays. Guy I spoke to this morning indicated that the average wait time is 30 weeks - I am 29 weeks tomorrow - not much more I can do than grin and bear it.

Thats strange that they still work on september as i applied 13 sept 2011 and got refusal letter may 16 which was almost two months ago surely cant take thm that long to get thru rest month .... The mind boggles...... im almost 7 weeks waiting on reveiw of this decision .... 36 weeks wait decision and alltogether 44 weeks so think almost a year is prob wait time at this stage!!!

Hi Linda its great to see you back on again,yes I dont know why some people are still waiting from that far back.I have seen responses to TD'S from the Minister for NOVEMBER.Maybe they need extra info.In my last post I was only try to find out if it would be quicker for my application because the medical had already gone to a doctor in the dept,I would not want to be skipping anyone after all we are all in the same boat.Linda I dont think the review will take much longer for you I will keep my fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Linda dub wrote: »
    Thats strange that they still work on september as i applied 13 sept 2011 and got refusal letter may 16 which was almost two months ago surely cant take thm that long to get thru rest month .... The mind boggles...... im almost 7 weeks waiting on reveiw of this decision .... 36 weeks wait decision and alltogether 44 weeks so think almost a year is prob wait time at this stage!!!

According to the guy I spoke with they were dealing with October not September.

Linda dub wrote: »

According to the guy I spoke with they were dealing with October not September.

Sorry i was reading posts from a month ago ! It just seems to be getting longer for waiting times instead of shorter as was suppised to happen when the new system came in !!!!!

Jasssss wrote: »
    Hi Linda its great to see you back on again,yes I dont know why some people are still waiting from that far back.I have seen responses to TD'S from the Minister for NOVEMBER.Maybe they need extra info.In my last post I was only try to find out if it would be quicker for my application because the medical had already gone to a doctor in the dept,I would not want to be skipping anyone after all we are all in the same boat.Linda I dont think the review will take much longer for you I will keep my fingers crossed.

Hi jasssss yes i know what u mean. You would think that parents applying for domicillary allownce or going from
    That to carers would be dealt wth seperatly and it take less time to
    Process. I rang during week said reveiw takes roughly two months n thats next week but we will see! I askd if i had go down appeals route i would not hve any more medical evidence to submit as ive sent it all in for the reveiw the guy said i wouldnt need anymore.... i would be calld to an oral hearing ro give me a chance to put my reasons why i should get carers allownce etc Bit puzzling tho as tthe reason i was rurned diwn was on medical grounds very confusing altogether !

dear linda dub, i know how you feel, i am at my wits end, every day watching a letter, every week ringing them.How in the name of god can it take so long, do they not realise the torture that we common folk go through,i do everything for my mother and i mean everything, and i am just worn out, i have 1 brother who wouldnt or hasnt ever bothered to get a loaf of bread or even asked , to tell you the the truth im getting so far behind with bills id nearly forget about this carers and sign on the dole.

Linda,I reckon you will hear something within the next 10 days.I sent in a review for the Dom and it only took 4 weeks.The only good thing is you will get it backdated but having said that you probably owe it all out.Finni ,did they request any extra info during your wait.It just seems an awful long time to be waiting.

Linda,I reckon you will hear something within the next 10 days.I sent in a review for the Dom and it only took 4 weeks.The only good thing is you will get it backdated but having said that you probably owe it all out.Finni ,did they request any extra info during your wait.It just seems an awful long time to be waiting.

Hi jasssss
    im afraid to even think about it as i probably be turned down again and thoughts of going down the appeals road just makes me feel sick ! ! Its 8 weeks now but id say length time on reveiws will depend on reason refused first place. Mine was because medical officers didnt think my parents were invalided enough to need fulltime carer... when i ring staff are nice but say its with medical doctors n not back yet .... Sooo fed up this stage... Never thought when i applied back in sept last year i still wouldnt know in middle july this year!!!!!!!!!

according to this morning's call they are still on October 2011.....

Jesus Linda, You are nearly up to a year waiting.Did you send them extra medical information .Fingers crossed you will get it this time round and all the back dated money you are due.Endofrainbow, I feel sick because if they are only up at Oct 2011 I have a long wait.You would wonder why the Minister is quoting an average time of 28 week's.

Jesus Linda, You are nearly up to a year waiting.Did you send them extra medical information .Fingers crossed you will get it this time round and all the back dated money you are due.Endofrainbow, I feel sick because if they are only up at Oct 2011 I have a long wait.You would wonder why the Minister is quoting an average time of 28 week's.

Yes jassss thats counting refusal in may and then sending in all extra medical info bt jesus how long does it take to look at new medical evidence almost two months!!!!! Im soooo fed up at this stage im fit to be tied as im sure everyone else is !!! When did you apply? I dont know of anyone who got decision at 28 weeks so dunno were they got that from .... I really thought by now the new system would have cut the waiting time by a couple months even ....

• Advertisement

Linda.I only sent my application in at the start of February so I have months of waiting ahead.Yeah 2 months is very long for a review but Linda thats why I think you will hear very soon.That new system is up and running but they said its going to be months before they clear the back log.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement