Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carer's allowance wait time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The Citizens information website page says you get it from the date the receive the applications(so long as the dates are correct/legal and not backdated over a year-some chancers out there I suppose).

I doubt very much if people applying for Carer's Allowance are chancers. You just have to read the threads about the hardships and frustrations we have to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I doubt very much if people applying for Carer's Allowance are chancers. You just have to read the threads about the hardships and frustrations we have to contend with.

You took me up wrong. I know the hardships of carers. I know 3 carers as it is and my mother has become a 4th.

Both the minister and the social welfare said(to us) that when the government announced that if you don't take up job opportunities provided to you under the Job Seekers Benefit/Allowance(persistently) they will cut your benefits. Soon after this the applications for carers allowance and illness benefit shot through the roof which I guess created this insane backlog. They now need to weed through them to find the "chancers" who might be claiming to be a carer for their career unemployed husband who might have some fickle infliction.

Carers, as well I know from looking at the promised weekly payment, doesn't cover half of the necessities people require to care for somebody.

On top of that I know the medical card side of things. My OHs medical card expires in March yet her incurable illness does not. We know, because I'm back working, that they won't give us another one so we're fecked on that end. Incurable illness, mounting medical bills, €120 extra per month on drugs(might have gone up even). :rolleyes: I guess I can just keep it under appeal for as long as I have ink in my pen. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Well if what you are saying is true ,there is not a chance of those people getting the carers allowance.There are people on this forum that are caring for people who are seriously ill and cannot get the carer's allowance.In fact some of the caree's have died and the carer still have not been awarded the carers allowance. In the middle of 2011 the wait on average was 17 weeks.Then it went to 28 weeks and god knows what it is now standing at.Is there anyone that has had good news yet.

I agree. We found out that our terminally I'll father who requires care is not sick enough apparently and we have been refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

Jasssss wrote: »
    Well if what you are saying is true ,there is not a chance of those people getting the carers allowance.There are people on this forum that are caring for people who are seriously ill and cannot get the carer's allowance.In fact some of the caree's have died and the carer still have not been awarded the carers allowance. In the middle of 2011 the wait on average was 17 weeks.Then it went to 28 weeks and god knows what it is now standing at.Is there anyone that has had good news yet.

Its gone beyond a joke now jasssss the wait is endless dunno where they get the figures from..... Im not ringing anymore as just get soooo annoyed wth all different answers i get .....when i was refused after 36 weeks i thought an appeal would take months so went for reveiw 2 and half months later still hasnt even been looked at!!!!!!!!!!! No doubt i will be turned down but i dont know if i could face going down the appeal road...a year almost gone constantly waiting for news has been bad enough but dont think i could do it again ...

• Advertisement

Linda I am pulling my hair out I can only imagine what you are going through.I hope you get it on review but if you dont appeal it Linda ,the appeals office are a seperate body from the carers section.Now I did not actually believe this until a friend of a friend told me that yes they are independent body within the department of social protection.Beer Baron,I dont know why but there seems to be a lot of people been refused because they are deemed not sick enough.I really am struggling to understand whats going on.I mean looking at linda review which is at 2 and a half months already is a joke.I got in touch with a TD but to be honest I dont think any TD can do much.

Beer Baron,are you saying you applied in April and have you had a reply already.Be it that it is a refusal.

UPDATE

Just got the letter this morning saying I have been approved for Carer's Allowance (back-dated to December 2011 + respite care grant).

34 weeks since I first applied but sense of relief , I just cannot describe. :)

Congratulations,that is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shellebells

Great news! i rang this morn to see where i was on their system and they told me that they are on nov 2011 now and my application was in line for a decision..any know how long this part takes? she said a couple of weeks?

• Advertisement

mine was not submitted til late December 2011 so hopefully you should hear very soon

UPDATE

Just got the letter this morning saying I have been approved for Carer's Allowance (back-dated to December 2011 + respite care grant).

That is just great news im
    So pleased somebody on here is getting some good news for a change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

UPDATE

Thats great news, but my app went on system in november, i got text saying they were reviewing it on the 10th december. i dont understand this at all!! i am pleased for you endof rainbow, because i know how stressful it all is...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shellebells

mine also was received, stamped and some of my letters returned in nov 2011..so hopefully wont have too much longer of a wait!! pushing 38 wks now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I cannot understand how some people got documents back and others did not.I sent my application about 27 weeks ago and have heard nothing at all back.Unlike others I have not even gone up on the system yet.I sent my application by reg post and i'm glad i did because i know they got it.I really would love to know what way they process applications.I'm not as long as others on the forum but i'm getting really pissed off waiting.The minister has stated that there are only 9 cases over 44 weeks.I think i am heading to be the 10th.

got the approval letter yesterday and the travel pass today....:)

got the approval letter yesterday and the travel pass today....:)

Fair play to you.

I'd love that(for my mother/carer) except now I have to get my car from Limerick - Dublin - Limerick tomorrow instead so I can get the carer up and down. Damn you Mater hospital where they can only do the surgery/tests. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Well after 54 weeks I received my travel pass today no approval letter. I knew I had been approved back in early July but I was told it would take weeks to be actioned. I was wondering does anyone have idea what the time is between receiving the travel pass and getting the actual payment?

my approval letter told me my backdated payment and grant would be paid into my account in 3 weeks and to contact them if it wasnt

my approval letter told me my backdated payment and grant would be paid into my account in 3 weeks and to contact them if it wasnt

So with a bit of luck I just got them the other way round. Though I remember reading on an other thread that the person received the pass and then nothing, I'm not sure when they received the payment.

• Advertisement

travel pass is looked after by an office in Sligo - Carer's Allowance is in Longford. wouldn't do any harm to make a phone call.

travel pass is looked after by an office in Sligo - Carer's Allowance is in Longford. wouldn't do any harm to make a phone call.

Just rang letter was sent yesterday. I can't real believe it after all this time!!

great news !

What I find strange is they ask for your email address on the application form yet they have never used it when communicating with me. Has anyone ever had an email from them? It would save money and speed up communication one would have thought, but what would I know!

Endofrain, I know your back payment is on the way but how soon do they actually start paying you your allowance.Is this straight away.

backdated payment and new payment in 2 weeks according to the letter

Ahhhhhhh this system is really stressing.Rang again and all im been told is we are still working on Nov 2011.If i hear this agsin i will scream.Then they said that they had sent me a text i got no text it works out that the system read my phone no wrong and text is gone to another person.Has anyone else heard anyjthing yet

Jasssss wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhh this system is really stressing.Rang again and all im been told is we are still working on Nov 2011.If i hear this agsin i will scream.Then they said that they had sent me a text i got no text it works out that the system read my phone no wrong and text is gone to another person.Has anyone else heard anyjthing yet

Hi jasssss i rang AGAIN and was told this time that they only recieve medicals back from doctors every fortnight and same docs have to deal with disability invalidity as well as carers so thats reason take so long with reveiw ? Said no point ring back till mid sept as wont know anything ... Asked me was i turned down for any other reason than medical when i said no she asked was i sure ????? Wont be suprised if i am passed on medical and turned down again for another reason as it happened to someone on other thread ... im sick of whole lot it and i need to get some income in if im refused i have to
    Look for a job but then who will look after my parents ....its a no win situation:(((((

Linda, I dont think they can refuse you on medical grounds and then refuse you on other grounds at a later stage.If I was you i would start asking around to see if they are allowed do this.Just to be one step ahead in case they hit you with this.I would be shocked if this happened.When you were refused in the first place all reasons should have been given.

• Advertisement

Letter didn't turn up today! How long does it take to get a letter from Longford? Or was this another lie or miss truth?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement