Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Got mine today. Not in the same league as my Kindle Fire build-quality wise, but a lot better than I expected for the money.
    The chiseller loves it, which is why I bought it, but I reckon he'll be fighting his Mam for it.
    Like the usb and sdcard slot a lot, basic camera also puts it ahead of the Fire in terms of functionaly. Screen is not as responsive, but for 1/3 of the price who cares.
    Battery does seem to be quite small, charges off a regular android (phone) charger which are tiny and common now, so not a huge issue.

Very pleased overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

hollands wrote: »
    does it take a class 4 sdhc card ?

I have an TDK 8gb microSDHC class4 card and it works with it.

Some pros & cons I've noticed over the weekend, as a non-techy casual user

Pros-
    -Price
    -99% things seem to work as it should (so far anyways)
    -Video~ Impressed with youtube quality & TED talks app.
    -Got a kindle sleeve that fits it perfect.

Cons-
    -Battery life- ranging from 1.5hrs to 2.5hrs depending on use.
    -USB Charger is dire slow but the normal wall charger works perfect.
    -Video~ Not impressed with RTE player, seems jerky & off sync but thats more likely RTE's fault.

Overall it's good for the price, battery life would be the main thing to take into account if you intend to use it longer through the day before you get a chance to charge it.

Thats all I can think of at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Im still undecided... battery is putting me off and i had a loan of a mates 10 inch sony tab at the weekend (he paid €399 for it - which i think is way over priced!)... and even i think that the 10 inch screen is as small as i think i could use comfortably.

I had a look in pc world to see the 7 inch tabs they have... it justs seems too small?

But then there is the pros... picture quality, sd slot, price etc.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lh

Ordered 30th june, got today.

It feels built well and doesn't suffer from as much lag as I thought it would.

As others have said, battery life isn't great. My main concern is that even with earphones in the sound isn't very loud :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ciaburkie

im still waiting on mine and it was shipped on the 28th of June...anyone else still waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Got the letter from customs saying to send proof of purchase price, oh well you can't win them all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

you guys getting it 2weeks from shipment, what delivery method did ye go with, free or paid for?

Mine shipped on the 2nd with free reg airmail so hopefully here in next couple of days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BABYDOLL

Just tracking mine and it says it has been sent to customs, does this mean that I will be sent a letter to pay the vat?

BABYDOLL wrote: »
    Just tracking mine and it says it has been sent to customs, does this mean that I will be sent a letter to pay the vat?

Cant answer your Q, but could you tell me how you went about tracking yours, sites? did you use mcbub tracking number? links on Mcbub are not doing anything for me.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Old Perry wrote: »
    Cant answer your Q, but could you tell me how you went about tracking yours, sites? did you use mcbub tracking number? links on Mcbub are not doing anything for me.
    Thanks

My experience was that after it was shipped nothing showed up tracking wise for a couple of days until it suddenly appeared with an post in Ireland.
    The an post website said it had gone to customs, day or two after that I got the email requesting a copy of the invoice.... Hope that helps

Old Perry wrote: »
    Thanks

This is the link to the tracking website.
    http://www.17track.net/IndexEn.html

lh wrote: »
    My experience was that after it was shipped nothing showed up tracking wise for a couple of days until it suddenly appeared with an post in Ireland.
    The an post website said it had gone to customs, day or two after that I got the email requesting a copy of the invoice.... Hope that helps

How did you check on the An Post website?

BABYDOLL wrote: »
    How did you check on the An Post website?

Theres a tracker on there somewhere, just go to anpost.ie after you see it arriving on the other link mcbub sent out. Use the same code when searching

\

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭hollands

Just a useful hint to those still waiting for their tablet. When you see, through tracking on the An Post website, that the item is in the mailcentre "sent to customs", if you email a copy of proof of purchase from Paypal or whatever, to dmc@revenue.ie, quoting tracking number, it will speed up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

I got mine and i am disappointed with the battery life. 1 hour is all i get just browsing the web on it. Had intended on giving it to my child as an alternative to a portable dvd player. 45mins is all she gets before it has to be charged again. Is there someting wrong with just my one?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭hollands

I agree the battery life isn't great but then again, I have only charged it twice, so am waiting for a few charges to improve that!. It does say somewhere to totally discharge the battery before recharging. Other then that, as has been said, not bad for the money.
    RTE radio app refuses to work so have discarded it but watched a programme on RTE player last night no problems.

Daithi07 wrote: »
    I got mine and i am disappointed with the battery life. 1 hour is all i get just browsing the web on it. Had intended on giving it to my child as an alternative to a portable dvd player. 45mins is all she gets before it has to be charged again. Is there someting wrong with just my one?

Give it a chance, Mine started out poor but it seems to have got a bit better.

I've charged mine a few times now, battery at the moment is at 44% and has been on battery power for 1hr 20mins.
    Plus I have been playing mega drive games on an emulator on it for the last 30minutes, before that I was installing apps from the play store.

Hopefully the last 44% keeps to the same rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Thanks for the battery info.

Would just like to let ye know that i got a Philips Kindle leather flip case thats fits perfectly for the tablet in a shop called Dealz in Limerick for only €2.99. You can make the tablet stand up also with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I have this for 2 weeks now and its growing on me. Battery life has improved to between 2.5 and 3 hours after I changed the settings as I mentioned in an earlier post.

It is really performing well, especially as a movie player on the bus and for games like Pool Break Lite, which has great 3D and pin sharp graphics.

For email, youtube, skype, facebook etc it is grand. Screen is surprisingly good. WIFI is slower than the laptop but acceptable, it runs Google Earth fairly easily.

Overall I reckon its worth the money.

sparksfly wrote: »
    I have this for 2 weeks now and its growing on me. Battery life has improved to between 2.5 and 3 hours after I changed the settings as I mentioned in an earlier post.

What changes did you do to the settings? Just curious and it would probably be helpful for others.

And to echo Daithi07's post above , I got a kindle sleeve and it fits perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I have an older Smartpad tablet running Android 2.1, its battery lasts 4hours +.

I reduced the screen brightness of the Allwinner to that of the Smartpads default setting, slightly less than half way on the slider display (the Allwinner's brightness was at max by default) and I have reduced the screen timeout to 2 minutes inactivity from the default of 20.

I also turn off WIFI when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

So most people that got theirs so far have paid approx €55 plus customs and an post handling of approx €20... so i should be expecting to pay €75 in total?

Just checking as probably going to order this weekend... also... anyone a bit wary of using their credit card details with this crowd or have ye all paid via paypal?

I paid by paypal.

ahyeahok wrote: »
    I paid by paypal.

+1, i set up paypal for this. should have done it long ago as its (to my knowledge) the safest and most widely used method, and all the same its pretty easy to set up if you have not already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Barr

Access wrote: »
    So most people that got theirs so far have paid approx €55 plus customs and an post handling of approx €20... so i should be expecting to pay €75 in total?

Just checking as probably going to order this weekend... also... anyone a bit wary of using their credit card details with this crowd or have ye all paid via paypal?

Some people were lucky enough to escape paying the customs completely. Seems to depend on the area you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Does anyone elses charger not quite fit right?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ciaburkie

mine looks to be out for delivery tomorrow and i think i skipped by the customs charge cos i didnt get a letter from them...ill keep you posted and will post a review when ive played with it for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

ciaburkie wrote: »
    mine looks to be out for delivery tomorrow and i think i skipped by the customs charge cos i didnt get a letter from them...ill keep you posted and will post a review when ive played with it for a while
    Mine has said gone to customs so I'm guessing 100% I'm going to be charged :(

Advertisement