Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ciaburkie wrote: »
    mine looks to be out for delivery tomorrow and i think i skipped by the customs charge cos i didnt get a letter from them...ill keep you posted and will post a review when ive played with it for a while
    Mine has said gone to customs so I'm guessing 100% I'm going to be charged :(
    yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Does anyone elses charger not quite fit right?

Mine doesn't, it charges but it looks like it should be going in another 50% or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

this might be a good option if you don't want to risk the customs trap.

it's a little more, but if you take customs into account, plus the bigger, higher res. screen, more ram, hdmi, better battery, faster delivery times etc. i think it's a pretty good deal for €129.

https://www.ccity.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=3604&category_id=468&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3
    Prestigio MultiPad 5080 Pro, 8" (20.3CM) Touch Screen, With Android 4 ... (Ice Cream Sandwich) Wireless Internet Wi-Fi Multi-Touch Screen 1GHz, Micro SD, 8GB, Web Cam, High Definition Video, Long Life Battery

FEATURES
    • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
    • Adobe Flash Player Enabled
    • More space – increased storage capacity of 8GB
    • Stunning Video experience
    • Faster Performance – 1GHz CPU & 1GB RAM
    • Better feeling – High quality rubber grip backside :eek:
    • More Apps - Preinstalled and 300,000 more on Google Market
    • Stylish leather pouch included

Prestigio-MultiPad-5080-Pro-8-inch-Android-4-0-tablet.jpg

full specs here: http://www.prestigio.com/products/personal-computers/Tablet_PC/MultiPad_PMP5080C_PRO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

vibe666 wrote: »
    this might be a good option if you don't want to risk the customs trap.

That link is a wholesale link, seemingly.
    Trade only computer wholesale. Serving Ireland since 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I assume getting this sent to NI first would bypass customs? Have some friends there who could forward it onto me.This method has been done before by boardsies buying football shirts from Thailand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

You get caught for UK customs.

Soarer wrote: »
    You get caught for UK customs.

They seem to be easier to bypass than Irish customs,I reckon these tablets are being targeted now that so many are coming into the country,the same happened with football shirts,it got to the stage that one supplier stopped shipping to Ireland 'cos so many were being seized by customs here.

Amalgam wrote: »
    That link is a wholesale link, seemingly.
    i don't think you'd have much trouble buying from them (or a lot of other wholesalers these days), call it a hunch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ciaburkie

ok so i played with it for a while. only 2 issues ive found with the tablet are sometimes when typing for Facebook or whatever if i pressed in arouond the "K" key it would also type a letter from the opposite side of the keyboard. Cleaned the screen and that issue seems to be sorted and the only other one is that the "My Xbox Live" app doesnt work on it which i was kinda hoping for.

They had labeled the parcel as "Work Gift" with a value of $20 so thats how i got thru customs btw

All in all a great buy for the price...now just waiting on my 16gig sd card and to go down to Deals to get the case for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

Recieved my tablet yesterday after getting the dreaded letter from the customs boys requesting I send them a copy of the total I paid the shop online with Paypal.

Figured that was where my troubles would end...I was wrong.

Once I had opened the packaging I was greeted with a pretty badly sratched screen, I have attached photo's as proof.

I contacted both Paypal and the website provisionally but I am waiting on their response. (time difference and all).

So after 3-4 wait, one customs letter and a 19 euro's levy, my tablet arrived sratched to s**t....*sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Demios wrote: »
    Recieved my tablet yesterday after getting the dreaded letter from the customs boys requesting I send them a copy of the total I paid the shop online with Paypal.

Once I had opened the packaging I was greeted with a pretty badly sratched screen, I have attached photo's as proof.

I contacted both Paypal and the website provisionally but I am waiting on their response. (time difference and all).

So after 3-4 wait, one customs letter and a 19 euro's levy, my tablet arrived sratched to s**t....*sigh*

Make sure its not a plastic film protecting the screen?

joe250 wrote: »
    Make sure its not a plastic film protecting the screen?

Honestly I hoped it was that first, but alas, its just mangled with damage. The two large scratches on the upper left are very deep too. Amazing the guys even shipped it in that state, despite a pretty sturdy plastic bubble packing surrounding it. Buyer beware I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

i don't think you'd have much trouble buying from them (or a lot of other wholesalers these days), call it a hunch. :)

Does call it a hunch mean we can definitely get one of these delivered in Ireland for €129 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Honestly I hoped it was that first, but alas, its just mangled with damage. The two large scratches on the upper left are very deep too. Amazing the guys even shipped it in that state, despite a pretty sturdy plastic bubble packing surrounding it. Buyer beware I suppose.

Was it opened and resealed by customs? Looks like a box knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

vicwatson wrote: »
    Does call it a hunch mean we can definitely get one of these delivered in Ireland for €129 ??

It's a Wholesale / Business website soprices are listed ex-VAT. Therefore it's €129 + VAT. They are based in Dublin so thats the price ex-works from South Dublin. Delivery is extra depending on weight from around €6 iirc. So it's €158.67 + delivery if you're not VAT registered.

Great little tab (missus has one) but no bluetooth on that model if it is a requirement for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

This post has been deleted.

I think you had better check out what the deal is with Parcel Motel if there are customs charges applied first. I can't imagine that Parcel Motel will just pay the customs fee for you and will most likely refuse the delivery altogether.

Edit: from their website FAQs:

What happens if there is VAT and/or Duty due on my item?
    Please ensure that any charges payable are paid in advance of delivery. Parcel Motel will not accept responsibility for payment of any VAT or Duty charges due on items delivered. If the postal operator or courier asks for cash on delivery, your item will be refused by us.

cargo wrote: »
    It's a Wholesale / Business website soprices are listed ex-VAT. Therefore it's €129 + VAT. They are based in Dublin so thats the price ex-works from South Dublin. Delivery is extra depending on weight from around €6 iirc. So it's €158.67 + delivery if you're not VAT registered.

Great little tab (missus has one) but no bluetooth on that model if it is a requirement for you.

Sure then there are better deals on mcbub and the likes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Have you been in touch with McBub? What about An Post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

been reading this thread, but a little lost.

whats the best tablet to buy today for cheap-cheap?

i just need it for web browsing, face book, remote desktop and a bit of e-reading.
    maybe a bit of video but not much. unlikely to play any games on it

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Sure then there are better deals on mcbub and the likes.....
    the cheapest comparable 8" tablet i can find on mcbub is this one for $125 (€103) plus shipping and whatever customs charges etc.

i genuinely don't know what those charges would be for the tablet above, but if someone does, it might be worth doing the sums.

one of the things i noticed about the 7" one that i got is that it could have done with being a bit bigger. i can't help but think that maybe an 8" 4:3 format tablet would allow for a much better viewing experience for web pages, documents, photos and stuff, well pretty much everything except widescreen movies and tv.

i went through the checkout process on the link i posted previously on ccity.ie, (stopping just short of pulling the trigger) and it comes out at €167.67 (inc. vat & delivery) for it, or for an extra €4 you can get it couriered same day which would certainly (for my money at least) beat waiting for it and playing customs roulette, particularly if you were in a hurry.

if you wanted and irish bricks and mortar store to have a play with out and try before you buy (as well as have somewhere to take it back to), power city have it for €189: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-28-111219&pages=&prod=111219&brands=PRESTIGIO&image=

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Murphisto

The exact same thing happened to me. I received my tablet from An Post yesterday and the screen was badly scratched with the screen protector on the wrong side of the tablet. See photo. It didn't appear as if customs opened the packaged enough to take the box out of the shipping bag - it just seemed as if they made a small hole in the package and looked in. Also it seems as if the scratches are too bad to have occurred during shipping. It looks as if someone had flipped it on it's screen on the ground and rubbed it around.

The package containing one of the leads was open so I was wondering if maybe it was a return.

Anyway I mailed McBub yesterday but haven't heard from them yet. Does anyone know if I will be charged again by customs if I return the tablet for a replacement? Although with the cost of the postage it's probably not worth it.

Murphisto wrote: »

The exact same thing happened to me. I received my tablet from An Post yesterday and the screen was badly scratched with the screen protector on the wrong side of the tablet. See photo. It didn't appear as if customs opened the packaged enough to take the box out of the shipping bag - it just seemed as if they made a small hole in the package and looked in. Also it seems as if the scratches are too bad to have occurred during shipping. It looks as if someone had flipped it on it's screen on the ground and rubbed it around.

The package containing one of the leads was open so I was wondering if maybe it was a return.

Anyway I mailed McBub yesterday but haven't heard from them yet. Does anyone know if I will be charged again by customs if I return the tablet for a replacement? Although with the cost of the postage it's probably not worth it.

Looks like were both in the same boat friend.

They sent me a email stating:

so sorry for delay.
    the screen is not damaged ,this is the film.
    you can peel off the screen protector and change a new one ,this scratch will disappear.
    Note:
    Recently we got some complaint for our tablet pc, some customers said our tablet pc is used, there is scratch on the screen,we want to say,there is some misunderstanding for it,all of our tablet pc are 100% new,and before we send to you,we will check them 100%,from touch screen to every function.after you receive the tablet pc,you just need to do as the following photos,you will see the tablet pc is 100% new

They then asked me to ensure there's not a screen protector over it. I'm going to email them back explaining that's the first thing I checked. Ive also opened a dispute on Paypal just to keep them in the loop also.

I will not be stung with paying to ship back defective product and then endure more customs the second time round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Mine looks badly scratched too, had to pick at the corner a little bit but there is *definitely* a screen protector attached. Its a very exact fit so it looks like its not even there...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BABYDOLL

I emailed customs last Saturday & have heard nothing since, the tracking still says sent to customs, how long after it is sent to custome does it take for delivery?

Found this one on mcbub,only €3 more atm. Longer battery life,8gb memory & hdmi with a better camera,it has the A10 chip compared to the A13 in the other one.

http://www.mcbub.com/item/-Clearance--7-Inch-Cambridge-Sciences-Android-4-0-MID-Tablet-PC-AllWinner-A10-1-5GHz-512MB-RAM-8GB-HDD-Camera-HDMI-Wifi--CP147068--147585/

the cheapest comparable 8" tablet i can find on mcbub is this one for $125 (€103) plus shipping and whatever customs charges etc.

Shipping is free as far as I can see with mcbub and it be about 20 euro customs so aprx eur 123 vs eur 167.67 ;)

zerks wrote: »
    Found this one on mcbub,only €3 more atm. Longer battery life,8gb memory & hdmi with a better camera,it has the A10 chip compared to the A13 in the other one.

http://www.mcbub.com/item/-Clearance--7-Inch-Cambridge-Sciences-Android-4-0-MID-Tablet-PC-AllWinner-A10-1-5GHz-512MB-RAM-8GB-HDD-Camera-HDMI-Wifi--CP147068--147585/

Zerks are McBub cool for buying from? Any issues ?

Are those issues with scratched screens etc above from McBub?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

The exact same thing happened to me. I received my tablet from An Post yesterday and the screen was badly scratched with the screen protector on the wrong side of the tablet. See photo.

I had a look at the photo, and from the reflectivity of the screen, and the level of diffusion of light, it really looks like there is still a screen protector fitted.

I am basing this on a not-great quality photograph, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but is it worth double-checking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Murphisto

Apologies McBub. It turns out there was a screen protector on it after all, it was just very difficult to see. So after peeling it off (I found a nice smooth shiny scratch free screen underneath!)

Advertisement