Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sleahy18

DylanII wrote: »
    It is possible yes. But don't bank on it. There are people who get a huge amount of points off and some who only get a small amount.

Dont give up on hope, but do look into alternatives just incase.

Good luck :)

do you know if it depends on the popularity of the courses, i mean if there were like 10 HEAR places in a course and only 8 or 9 HEAR students who applied for that course do they have to give those students the position even if one of them is like 80 or 90 points short or is there a cut off point

Thanks again and any reply would appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Sleahy18 wrote: »
    do you know if it depends on the popularity of the courses, i mean if there were like 10 HEAR places in a course and only 8 or 9 HEAR students who applied for that course do they have to give those students the position even if one of them is like 80 or 90 points short or is there a cut off point

Thanks again and any reply would appreciated

Yes, if it is a course that is very popular then the less the points are generally reduced.

The cut off point is 300 points. As long as you get 300 points and meet the matriculation requirements then you are eligible. Technically you could be reduced by up to 300 points. For example if there was a course for 600 points which accepted 90 students and 10% of those were reserved for HEAR students.

If only 8 other hear students applied and the 9th student had just 300 points then they would be accepted with a 300 Point reduction. However, the likely hood of that every happening is quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sleahy18

Yes, if it is a course that is very popular then the less the points are generally reduced.

The cut off point is 300 points. As long as you get 300 points and meet the matriculation requirements then you are eligible. Technically you could be reduced by up to 300 points. For example if there was a course for 600 points which accepted 90 students and 10% of those were reserved for HEAR students.

If only 8 other hear students applied and the 9th student had just 300 points then they would be accepted with a 300 Point reduction. However, the likely hood of that every happening is quite rare.

well that gives me some small bit of hope with the appeals aswell like which should push me up 35 points if i get both graded up 1 each, thanks for that anyway lifted me out of the dumps some bit anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Hey guys. :)

My course's minimum requirements for last year were 385 and I actually got 450 points. I'm presuming that I won't actually need HEAR for the reduced points, so will I get an offer through HEAR anyway or will my place be offered by the University directly?

Hey guys. :)

My course's minimum requirements for last year were 385 and I actually got 450 points. I'm presuming that I won't actually need HEAR for the reduced points, so will I get an offer through HEAR anyway or will my place be offered by the University directly?

The universities don't offer places direct to anyone. Regardless of weather of not you are getting a HEAR place you and everyone else will get an offer through the CAO.

You will still be a HEAR student :) So good luck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

hey guys, my friend got 475 and he wants a course (TCD LAW) which requires 535 points(round 1) and 505 points(round 2)
    his second choice is UCD LAW which requires 500 points(round 1) and 485 points(round 2)

he is eligible for HEAR, I was wondering would he be able to get in? he really wants it desperately, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    hey guys, my friend got 475 and he wants a course (TCD LAW) which requires 535 points(round 1) and 505 points(round 2)
    his second choice is UCD LAW which requires 500 points(round 1) and 485 points(round 2)

he is eligible for HEAR, I was wondering would he be able to get in? he really wants it desperately, thanks!!

Doubt it for Trinity, it'd be a small possibility for UCD though, depending on how many hear applicants there are..

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I got 510 points and was accepted for hear.
    The points for my course last year were 515.
    If they dont go up should I get in?
    Even if they went up 5-15 would I have okay chances??

biohaiid wrote: »
    I got 510 points and was accepted for hear.
    The points for my course last year were 515.
    If they dont go up should I get in?
    Even if they went up 5-15 would I have okay chances??

There is a chance but there is not really any way to know for sure. Is it a large course, what college is it in?

But yes there is a decent chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SOKK

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with a couple of questions. I'm eligible for HEAR and I got 475. Well above what I need for my second choice (UCD arts) but I am only 5 points off what my first choice was last year (BESS in Trinity).

If I happen to get into BESS through HEAR reduced points, will I be offered that place at the same time as all the others on Monday morning or is there a different process?

Also, our guidance counsellor isn't much use and I have no idea about the different rounds. If I got offered my second choice on Monday and I accepted it and then got offered BESS in round 2, do I have to take BESS? Because I know that in round 1 you have to take your first choice if you get it!

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone! :D

• Advertisement

SOKK wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with a couple of questions. I'm eligible for HEAR and I got 475. Well above what I need for my second choice (UCD arts) but I am only 5 points off what my first choice was last year (BESS in Trinity).

If I happen to get into BESS through HEAR reduced points, will I be offered that place at the same time as all the others on Monday morning or is there a different process?

Also, our guidance counsellor isn't much use and I have no idea about the different rounds. If I got offered my second choice on Monday and I accepted it and then got offered BESS in round 2, do I have to take BESS? Because I know that in round 1 you have to take your first choice if you get it!

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone! :D

You'll get the offer Monday just like everyone else!

If you get Arts on Monday, you may get offered BESS in the second round, but you don't have to take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SOKK

Avox wrote: »
    You'll get the offer Monday just like everyone else!

If you get Arts on Monday, you may get offered BESS in the second round, but you don't have to take it!

That's great, thank you! Such a simple answer that my guidance counselor had no clue about! She even thought the offers were out Wednesday :mad:

There is a chance but there is not really any way to know for sure. Is it a large course, what college is it in?

But yes there is a decent chance.

Its Psychology in UCD.
    I just checked again and I think the round 2 points for it last year were 510, if that would make a difference?

biohaiid wrote: »
    Its Psychology in UCD.
    I just checked again and I think the round 2 points for it last year were 510, if that would make a difference?

There is a chance. However, this year the points are expected to rise. For a course between 510-600 points you would expect many of those to be doing Higher Level Math. For this reason the minimum points could go up by as much as 25 points.

If the points dont rise by much then I would say that yes you would get it. But it is nearly impossible to say without knowing how many HEAR students would apply.

I would say that the likely hood of being offered a second round offer through the HEAR scheme would be rather low. This would mean that one of the 7 (Assuming they reserve 10% for Access Students) would have to drop out.

I think there is a good chance, dont give up but dont feel like you have the place secured already.

It really is impossible to say how these things will go.

Good luck :P

There is a chance. However, this year the points are expected to rise. For a course between 510-600 points you would expect many of those to be doing Higher Level Math. For this reason the minimum points could go up by as much as 25 points.

If the points dont rise by much then I would say that yes you would get it. But it is nearly impossible to say without knowing how many HEAR students would apply.

I would say that the likely hood of being offered a second round offer through the HEAR scheme would be rather low. This would mean that one of the 7 (Assuming they reserve 10% for Access Students) would have to drop out.

I think there is a good chance, dont give up but dont feel like you have the place secured already.

It really is impossible to say how these things will go.

Good luck :P

Yeah, I as thinking the same thing.
    Hopefully if I dont get in through HEAR in the first round I'll have enough points without hear for the second round, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks, and thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Can you still get in on HEAR even if you got more than the points you needed. Like say the course was 350 and you got 435 could you still get in on HEAR or would you just get in normally? I'm not banking on the reduced points. I just want the extra busary and book vouchers and stuff like that. Orientation will be great craic as well :D

chomps_x wrote: »
    Can you still get in on HEAR even if you got more than the points you needed. Like say the course was 350 and you got 435 could you still get in on HEAR or would you just get in normally? I'm not banking on the reduced points. I just want the extra busary and book vouchers and stuff like that. Orientation will be great craic as well :D

Yeah you'll still get in on HEAR once you've been accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Hey there. I'm eligible for HEAR and got 510 yesterday. Last year my course I want was 470 so more than likely I won't need the reduced points thing. I know I'll still get the financial aid and whatnot but out of curiosity will I still be getting through in a 'HEAR place' or will I be taken out of that and put into the 'normal places' so that someone else can have a chance of getting in with HEAR?

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Hey there. I'm eligible for HEAR and got 510 yesterday. Last year my course I want was 470 so more than likely I won't need the reduced points thing. I know I'll still get the financial aid and whatnot but out of curiosity will I still be getting through in a 'HEAR place' or will I be taken out of that and put into the 'normal places' so that someone else can have a chance of getting in with HEAR?

Pretty sure it'll still be a HEAR place but I'm not 100%.

TheComeUp wrote: »

You will still be getting in through the HEAR scheme and taking a HEAR place, another person will not be able to get in instead of you.

• Advertisement

Right I'm totally confused. If I don't get maynooth on the first round of offers but somehow get it on the second round I'll have missed the orientation week. Orientation is 26th-29th of August and the second round of offers don't come out until 30th of August. I was told that if you don't attend the orientation week you might lose your hear place...

Right I'm totally confused. If I don't get maynooth on the first round of offers but somehow get it on the second round I'll have missed the orientation week. Orientation is 26th-29th of August and the second round of offers don't come out until 30th of August. I was told that if you don't attend the orientation week you might lose your hear place...

If you are accepted to Maynooth in the first round and dont attend Launchpad then you WILL loose your place. However, if you are offered a place later then you obviously could not have attended the orientation.

Bear in mind though that it is very very rare to get offered a place in the second round through HEAR.

Maybe you could send them a quick email to confirm, they respond very quickly and are generally helpful and kind ;)access.office@nuim.ie

Good to see that you're planning on going to the best University in the whole of the universe - I may be slightly biased but I believe that to be 100% correct :D

Thanks Dylan, sent access office an email there so I'll see what they say. Fingers crossed for monday! I don't even know what points I'm trying to beat because it's a new course...

Thanks Dylan, sent access office an email there so I'll see what they say. Fingers crossed for monday! I don't even know what points I'm trying to beat because it's a new course...

Oh really, what course is it?

I would think that the points for new courses would be lower than average.

Computer Science and Software Engineering (Arts). They have a normal csse course and it's something like 355 as far as I can remember but this is a new one where you don't do science subjects you do arts subjects instead. Got 435 but with the new bonus points for maths ya never know what way it's going to go! If I don't get maynooth I'll be devastated :( Off to athlone I'll be going!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

I emailed HEAR about as I'm in the same situation, they told if I have been eligible for HEAR then I will still get it no matter what points I got :)

Computer Science and Software Engineering (Arts). They have a normal csse course and it's something like 355 as far as I can remember but this is a new one where you don't do science subjects you do arts subjects instead. Got 435 but with the new bonus points for maths ya never know what way it's going to go! If I don't get maynooth I'll be devastated :( Off to athlone I'll be going!

Ah you'll be grand sure :) It might be a bit more popular since you dont have to do science but even if there was an extra 25 points for math and an extra 15 points due to popularity youd still be grand.

P.S. Im going to be a leader at Launchpad this year :) Its good fun :D

edit: Just looked at the course their, there is a requirement for a D3 at honours level or B3 at ordinary, so I would think there will be the extra 25 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mairead1992

Hi, is there anyone on this who r hopin 2 do pe teaching in ul nd have the hear scheme, r does anyone know anyone who is hopin 2 do it wit hear scheme, r anyone that got in last year wit d hear scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Cian_Collins

Right, I got 60 points under my coarse but I am eligible with Hear, and I haven't met the entry requirments I got 2 D1s and I needed 2 C3s ... Im getting the results rechecked and hoping for a miracle that I scrap 2 c3s and get in through Hear but the chances arevery slim arent they??

• Advertisement

Right, I got 60 points under my coarse but I am eligible with Hear, and I haven't met the entry requirments I got 2 D1s and I needed 2 C3s ... Im getting the results rechecked and hoping for a miracle that I scrap 2 c3s and get in through Hear but the chances arevery slim arent they??

Very, most HEAR places will be gone by the time the second round comes.

Advertisement