Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Jenny101 wrote: »
    Hi I got 435 there on Wednesday and I am eligible for hear but I really wanted my first choice of biomedical science in maynooth I got offered general science. According to rte biomed is up this year from 435 to 460 do you think there would be anyway I could get a letter in the post today or tomorrow saying I got in to biomed or is it just what's on your cao offers is what you get . I thought I might've got biomed on the reduced points I'm do disappointed and how do you know if your offer is a hear place
    Unfortunately if you weren't offered a place that means the quote for HEAR and DARE students has been filled by people who did better than you points wise, so no, your points tally wasn't high enough to gwt in on reduced points. I am sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Melissa_Sarah

Are we told we get hear on the CAO or when?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KaylaK369

Should there be something on my CAO Online thing about getting into the course I accepted through HEAR? Didn't need it for points, but I do need it for the financial support.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Hey kinda asking how do you know if you got your course through hear? I got my first choice I'm just wondering how do i tell if it's through hear or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm pretty sure HEAR or the CAO will send out a letter whether you got in with HEAR or not.

Me personally, well didn't need the reduced points but still have my HEAR place in Mary I :)

Best of luck to everyone, stay calm all will become clear soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Melissa_Sarah

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure HEAR or the CAO will send out a letter whether you got in with HEAR or not.

Me personally, well didn't need the reduced points but still have my HEAR place in Mary I :)

Best of luck to everyone, stay calm all will become clear soon enough.

Did you find out by post or on your CAO? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

If you all were approved for HEAR, you got in through HEAR. there's no ifs or buts etc about it, if you're approved, you're in a HEAR place right now! Your college will send you a letter this week containing information about your orientation week. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Did you find out by post or on your CAO? :)

Both!! Just got the letter there :)

Hey guys if you get your letter you'll see a weird score if you've gotten a HEAR place.

Apparently I got 979 points :L

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Both!! Just got the letter there :)

Hey guys if you get your letter you'll see a weird score if you've gotten a HEAR place.

Apparently I got 979 points :L

Yeah every HEAR person gets the same amount of points on it, it's very weird! :) Your orientations will probably be next week (possibly the week after). You'll all get letters soon anyway, and just have to fill in a small document and send €5/€10 back to cover some small costs. Other than that you won't need any money at all for going, they'll provide your food, everything! You guys are in for the best week of your life at it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

How do we know if we got in with hear? Is it supposed to mention something about hear on our online cao account? Who's goin the nui galway orientation anyway :D

• Advertisement

How do we know if we got in with hear? Is it supposed to mention something about hear on our online cao account? Who's goin the nui galway orientation anyway :D

Did you even read the last 3 posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

So I don't seem to have gotten a HEAR place :(

Luno wrote: »
    So I don't seem to have gotten a HEAR place :(

What do you mean? Did you get a letter during the summer saying you were accepted for HEAR?

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    What do you mean? Did you get a letter during the summer saying you were accepted for HEAR?

Yeah but I assumed my points would be changed on the CAO letter like TheComeUp said? I don't know this whole thing has me very confused.

Yeah but I assumed my points would be changed on the CAO letter like TheComeUp said? I don't know this whole thing has me very confused.
    Look, just because you got HEAR doesn't give you a god-given right to any course you want! There were clearly HEAR students who got better points than you and filled the quota for the course of HEAR students (they don't have to accept many) so you didn't do enough to get your course. Sorry, but that's the way it goes.

Look, just because you got HEAR doesn't give you a god-given right to any course you want! There were clearly HEAR students who got better points than you and filled the quota for the course of HEAR students (they don't have to accept many) so you didn't do enough to get your course. Sorry, but that's the way it goes.

What do you mean? I got 120 more points than I needed and really could have done with the financial support?

What do you mean? I got 120 more points than I needed and really could have done with the financial support?
    You must have failed to meet a different requirement (a certain grade on a subject, passing certain subjects, taking certain subjects) if you didn't get offered the place, and you will get financial support. Just because you didn't get one of the HEAR course places doesn't mean you weren't accepted as a HEAR student in your University. If you got a letter you get the financial support.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

You must have failed to meet a different requirement (a certain grade on a subject, passing certain subjects, taking certain subjects) if you didn't get offered the place, and you will get financial support. Just because you didn't get one of the HEAR course places doesn't mean you weren't accepted as a HEAR student in your University. If you got a letter you get the financial support.

I think Luno is saying they got offered the course, but are not sure if they are getting HEAR assistance because their points had not been changed. In answer to that, you will get HEAR. Your points probably didn't change to the 900s because you got in on your own merit rather than on reduced HEAR points.

I think Luno is saying they got offered the course, but are not sure if they are getting HEAR assistance because their points had not been changed. In answer to that, you will get HEAR. Your points probably didn't change to the 900s because you got in on your own merit rather than on reduced HEAR points.

Thanks, this is exactly what I meant. I hope so because I could really do with that financial assistance.

I'd say it might just have been a clerical error! Either your HEAR was declined at first, then brought back on appeal and the CAO had already printed your offer or just a systematic error. If you're approved for HEAR, you WILL get your hear financial help. Don't worry about it. :)

• Advertisement

Ohh right! I was confused there! No, don't worry! You are in the HEAR course, you should get a letter soon informing you about when HEAR orienation is on. It doesn't say online via CAO that you are in the HEAR programme. If you got an acceptance letter from HEAR in June, you're in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

It seems like a lot of people didn't get the letter confirming their eligibility for the HEAR scheme earlier in the summer. I was told that I was eligible in the letter, and was offered a university place this morning, the same as any other person would have been offered a place. I'm now assuming that I'm part of the HEAR program in the university.

I was over 100 points above the minimum for the course, not everybody uses the program for the benefit of reduced points(financial assistance, extra tuition etc.). Some courses may have filled their quota of HEAR places with applicants who achieved well above the minimum requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MOR66

Does anyone now what happen about the DARE scheme? I applied this year and met the criteria. Im off by 15 points my first choice and read online they do make allowances up to 4o points? Do you think points would reduce by 15 in second offers? If i acept my first offer byt a get a second offer can i cancel the first offer? Please help,thanks

MOR66 wrote: »
    Does anyone now what happen about the DARE scheme? I applied this year and met the criteria. Im off by 15 points my first choice and read online they do make allowances up to 4o points? Do you think points would reduce by 15 in second offers? If i acept my first offer byt a get a second offer can i cancel the first offer? Please help,thanks

DARE works similar to HEAR. There is a certain number of places and places are competed against with all DARE applicants for the course. If you missed out on first round, you'll have to hope a DARE applicant rejects/defers the place. DARE/HEAR don't have certain point reductions, often courses of high demand can offer applicants just 5/10 points off the original. Yes you should accept the first offer, if you get offered a place in second round you can choose between the 2 courses.

Thanks for the help

But does that mean i only get offered a place in second round if someone who used DARE rejects it? Will i only find this out the date of second offers or could i find out before then??

MOR66 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help

But does that mean i only get offered a place in second round if someone who used DARE rejects it? Will i only find this out the date of second offers or could i find out before then??

As far as I know it's only if someone from DARE rejects it, unless the points in 2nd round drop to what you have achieved so you can get it on your own merit. No, I'd say it will be the date of second round offers. Sometimes, however, the college may contact you directly beforehand to let you know of your offer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

If you got accepted into the course and you had over the points for it could your place still be from HEAR and could you still have to do the orientation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Raeone wrote: »
    If you got accepted into the course and you had over the points for it could your place still be from HEAR and could you still have to do the orientation?

Yes and Yes.

You are still a HEAR student and you still have to do the orientation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

DylanII wrote: »
    Yes and Yes.

You are still a HEAR student and you still have to do the orientation :)

So 100% sure I will still have to do the orientation? Thanks.

Advertisement