Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Lynchy747 wrote: »
    Anyone who gets a HEAR offer will be given priority for accommodation but will still have to pay.

Depends on the college if you get priority or not, most don't give it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

chomps_x wrote: »
    Got the letter and fingers crossed i get my first choice as it's a new course and not many people are familiar with it so hopefully points aren't too high for the first year!

Buzzing for this orientation only because we get to stay on campus and It will be my only chance of staying on campus as I can't afford it for the year (Commuting ftw!!!)

What's the deal with the residential thing? Like do they provide accommodation free of charge or are we required to pay for it?

One last thing what the hell happens at orientation? Is it just study skills and boring stuff like that?

P.S Anyone going to Maynooth? Anyone fancy Mantra on the first night? :D

Orientation week has subject talks, projects and other things like that. It's great for getting to know people - I met some of my best friends on it :) I was a leader for the HEAR/DARE orientation for two years in Maynooth (and was on it in first year obviously), and all three were great! I know people tend to find not being able to go out annoying, but it's the same in all colleges and you will have enough time to head out everywhere during the rest of your years in Maynooth :p Just go to the orientation week with an open mind and you should have a good time.

Also, Mantra is pure shyte :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Imagine free accommodation with HEAR :O That'd be 5000 euro less I'd have to pay this year...actually thats something. Do we like get HEAR 'benefits' for the duration of our course? Obviously not the points thingy but like the extra bit of money and educationtal support...like is that there for just our first year or for the whole 4 years or 3 years or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hiyakeano

Does anyone know how much financial assistance you receive on the scheme? I've heard figures ranging from €200-€4000 so i'm so confused

hiyakeano wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much financial assistance you receive on the scheme? I've heard figures ranging from €200-€4000 so i'm so confused

Somewhere between 400 and 800. Probably not 800 though, it's been getting cut every year, so I'd say put yourself at around 400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Avox wrote: »
    Somewhere between 400 and 800. Probably not 800 though, it's been getting cut every year, so I'd say put yourself at around 400.

The figure in UCD actually increased last year.

Jaafa wrote: »
    The figure in UCD actually increased last year.

Weird! In Maynooth it got cut according to the leaders!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Avox wrote: »
    Weird! In Maynooth it got cut according to the leaders!

Yeah we were told not to get our hopes up of a big grant, and that they expect it to be cut, then they said it actually went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Is the grant yearly or once off?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shanmo

leaveiton wrote: »
    Yeah I sent off the recheck form, can't hurt. Took another look at the social welfare form, we were getting it all through 2010 so it just makes no sense! My socio-economic group was wrong too, apparently my parents qualify as "Employers and Managers" even though neither of them are anything close to that. I was really relying on it too, absolutely devastated.

the very same happened to me.
    im so gutted.
    im also annoyed about the layout of the recheck form, it doesnt allow you to question anything or point anything out.
    i know its bad but i was relying on that. :eek: :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

shanmo wrote: »
    the very same happened to me.
    im so gutted.
    im also annoyed about the layout of the recheck form, it doesnt allow you to question anything or point anything out.
    i know its bad but i was relying on that. :eek: :(

Yeah, I wish there was space to type something so you could give a reason, like I have no idea where they got "Employers and managers" from. I was really relying on it too - I doubt I'll get my 1st choice now with no hope of a reduction (I hadn't been relying on the reduction all along, exams just didn't go my way), and if I get my second choice, I could really have done with some extra assistance for transport fares. Could have done with the assistance anyway though, things have changed an awful lot since 2010 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shanmo

leaveiton wrote: »
    Yeah, I wish there was space to type something so you could give a reason, like I have no idea where they got "Employers and managers" from. I was really relying on it too - I doubt I'll get my 1st choice now with no hope of a reduction (I hadn't been relying on the reduction all along, exams just didn't go my way), and if I get my second choice, I could really have done with some extra assistance for transport fares. Could have done with the assistance anyway though, things have changed an awful lot since 2010 :(

ya there really should be a space, or at least a better explanation, like the way the recheck form is layed out makes it almost immpossible to get a proper recheck. :eek:
    well i failed maths last yr so im stuck with points from 5 subject. :( if i was allowed to put my maths poins (which im sure il hopefully get the required grade in this yr) i would prob have enough points but i cant so it is highly unlikely il get any of my top choices , if any. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Orientation week has subject talks, projects and other things like that. It's great for getting to know people - I met some of my best friends on it :) I was a leader for the HEAR/DARE orientation for two years in Maynooth (and was on it in first year obviously), and all three were great! I know people tend to find not being able to go out annoying, but it's the same in all colleges and you will have enough time to head out everywhere during the rest of your years in Maynooth :p Just go to the orientation week with an open mind and you should have a good time.

Also, Mantra is pure shyte :p

Is there anything organised for the evenings then seen as we're not allowed out after hours? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Still no letter, how am i suppose to get a recheck if I don't know what indicators I didnt meet. Tried ringing all morning.

Anyone else still waiting on a letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

GarIT wrote: »
    Is the grant yearly or once off?

In Maynooth, you get some money each semester throughout college. I'm not sure how other college work it though.
    Is there anything organised for the evenings then seen as we're not allowed out after hours? :D

Yeah, there's stuff like movie nights and a "disco" (which sounds awful but is usually very good craic :p). There's always stuff on in the apartments too each evening, like everyone in the building will all hang out in one of the apartments.

For anyone who thinks they'll be heading to Maynooth (and other colleges too, but I don't know for sure), make sure and keep your receipts! You will be able to get money back for college stuff like books etc. You'll be told all this in greater detail during orientation, but it's no harm getting used to doing it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

anyone any idea how many points hear will knock off?

anyone any idea how many points hear will knock off?

None at all, on the HEAR scheme you can get into a course based on the usual points route, if you are not sucessful with that you have a second oppertunity to get in by competing for other places which are reserved for HEAR applicants.

For the HEAR scheme places the course points are completely irrelevant, its how you compare to the best HEAR students that applied to that course that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

oh so say if i get one the highest points out of the other hear applicants i will get in? so say if no one else applying through hear applies to my course will i get it without getting very high points?

oh so say if i get one the highest points out of the other hear applicants i will get in? so say if no one else applying through hear applies to my course will i get it without getting very high points?

Yes to both but the opposite is also true, say if the course is 350 points and you get 340 you might not get in because all the other HEAR people got 345 points.

If the points were at 350 and someone got in on 340 they would say that they had a reduction of 10 points, but it really has no relation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

What sort of financial help do we get? Anyone know what it is for NUIG?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Anyone know what the deal is with on campus accommodation? Do HEAR student get accommodation at a reduced rate or do we pay full whack or what's the deal? Btw I'll be going to Maynooth if that helps :D

Anyone know what the deal is with on campus accommodation? Do HEAR student get accommodation at a reduced rate or do we pay full whack or what's the deal? Btw I'll be going to Maynooth if that helps :D

Its the exact same as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Ciara 5

What's this orientation week everyone is talking about? Is it just for HEAR people? I got accepted to DARE but have heard nothing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KaylaK369

I got approved for the HEAR scheme! I'm going to Maynooth :) Anyone got anymore info on it, or nearly sure they might be going there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

So there was a mistake made in my application and now it seems that I am in fact eligible. Happy days :)
    Question, do I still benefit from financial aid even if I don't need the scheme for points?

Luno wrote: »
    So there was a mistake made in my application and now it seems that I am in fact eligible. Happy days :)
    Question, do I still benefit from financial aid even if I don't need the scheme for points?

Indeed you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Got the letter this morning stating that I'm still ineligible after the recheck. :( Oh well, at least I qualify for the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

Found out one of my friends form nuig got the HEAR grant last year..she got 400 euro and said orientation was great craic and thats where she made most of her friends..looking forward to it now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

So guys, has anyone else heard about what kind of financial support you actually get with HEAR?

Looked through their website top to bottom, no info at all :confused:

And is it true that the HEAR people cover the costs of your books in college? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

I got a letter a couple of weeks ago stating I'm eligible. Now what? Just wait for the results?

Also, how do I find out if my course is accepting HEAR? I know the university (NUIG) is apparently accepting HEAR. Does that mean ALL courses in NUIG accept HEAR?

Advertisement