Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Here when it's says residential, you definitely have to stay in accommodation right? I only live like 15 minutes walking from DCU.. It sucks. :( xD

Residential will be the best thing that ever happens to you! :) The orientation program is actually the best craic ever, you make so many friends before college starts, you do so much, get tours of the entire campus, and just in general have days of fun! Everyone is nervous going to it at first, but you're split into very small groups and it's an amazing experience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 yungwan1k94

i keep ringing but they wont pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I wasn't eligible. I met all the standards for being poor but just because my school isn't deemed one of the DEIS schools I didn't get it. My school is a lot worse than some of the schools on that list, people who live in my area go out of their way to go to some of them schools. (I'm just bitter really)

Happy for all of ye who get it though :)

Ring up the CAO and tell them you still didn't get the letter, they'll tell you over the phone whether you got it or not. :)

the cao wont pick up and i am absolutely freaking out

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

orientation in maynooth,galway or ucd :) who's going hahah if we get in of course :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I'll probably be in the accommodation in DCU or UCD... xD

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

How come trinity's orientation only lasts 2 days and ucd's lasts like 5? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

xcorina wrote: »
    How come trinity's orientation only lasts 2 days and ucd's lasts like 5? :confused:

They allow new students in UCD three days to find their way out of that concrete jungle after the first day. I don't know tbh, maybe in Trinity they show you everything quicker and it's a slightly smaller place?

how come when u ring cao they dont pick up any tips how to get them plsss:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I didn't get it :( Devastated. Apparently I met no indicators other than the low income, even though we had been receiving social welfare at the very least :( I knew I'd be risking it because I wasn't sure if I had a third, but I really thought we'd meet the welfare requirement. Thinking of appealing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

To the person panicing about the Cao not answering calm down a little I know its frustrating but their lines are clogged on days like these. Just hold tough and try again every half hour or hour. Are you sure you've got the right number? Not trying to insult your intelligence just making sure for yeah! So jelly of the ppl who'll be in college like 3-5 days. If I get Mary I it's only going to be one day :( better organise something for us that night *if I get the points*. Still though absolutely buzzing. Is everyone who is eligible for Hear going to get extra points/leeway of some degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Can I just say to whoever might end up staying in UCD for the orientation week, don't worry about a thing. It'll be some of the best fun you'll have all year, you'll meet people your gona still be talking to years later and it makes things a lot easier for when you actually start college proper.

If anyone has any questions about it, I'm going to be a student leader for the orientation week this year, so feel free to send me a PM, though bear in mind we don't have specifics yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Got the letter and fingers crossed i get my first choice as it's a new course and not many people are familiar with it so hopefully points aren't too high for the first year!

Buzzing for this orientation only because we get to stay on campus and It will be my only chance of staying on campus as I can't afford it for the year (Commuting ftw!!!)

What's the deal with the residential thing? Like do they provide accommodation free of charge or are we required to pay for it?

One last thing what the hell happens at orientation? Is it just study skills and boring stuff like that?

P.S Anyone going to Maynooth? Anyone fancy Mantra on the first night? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

Jaafa wrote: »
    Can I just say to whoever might end up staying in UCD for the orientation week, don't worry about a thing. It'll be some of the best fun you'll have all year, you'll meet people your gona still be talking to years later and it makes things a lot easier for when you actually start college proper.

If anyone has any questions about it, I'm going to be a student leader for the orientation week this year, so feel free to send me a PM, though bear in mind we don't have specifics yet.

Hey! I'm just wondering about accommodation. Is it free for the 5 days even if you're not living on campus for the year?

My boyfriend did the HEAR orientation thing last year and the accommodation was free

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shanmo

leaveiton wrote: »
    I didn't get it :( Devastated. Apparently I met no indicators other than the low income, even though we had been receiving social welfare at the very least :( I knew I'd be risking it because I wasn't sure if I had a third, but I really thought we'd meet the welfare requirement. Thinking of appealing it.

same i didnt meet the socil welfare one even though my parents were on it then, it doesnt make any sense,
    the recheck form is horrendous to, it isnt laid out fair in my opinion.
    devastated was relying on it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

So I got my letter today and turns out I got the HEAR grant.. So happy, but just wondering do we actually get any financial help and if so what do we get?
    Also just wondering would anyone know if since I deferred from last year and I should be getting my offer on Wednesday, do I hear from HEAR on Wednesday or do I wait until August like everyone else?:/

shanmo wrote: »
    same i didnt meet the socil welfare one even though my parents were on it then, it doesnt make any sense,
    the recheck form is horrendous to, it isnt laid out fair in my opinion.
    devastated was relying on it.:(

Yeah I sent off the recheck form, can't hurt. Took another look at the social welfare form, we were getting it all through 2010 so it just makes no sense! My socio-economic group was wrong too, apparently my parents qualify as "Employers and Managers" even though neither of them are anything close to that. I was really relying on it too, absolutely devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

leaveiton wrote: »
    apparently my parents qualify as "Employers and Managers" even though neither of them are anything close to that. I was really relying on it too, absolutely devastated.

A lady from HEAR in UCC was giving a speech in our school ages ago and she told us examples where students put down things like 'engineer' for a parent who had no third level education and fixed fridges or something and was denied HEAR on basis of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Hey! I'm just wondering about accommodation. Is it free for the 5 days even if you're not living on campus for the year?

Yes of course. You'll also get free meals for the week.

• Advertisement

subz3r0 wrote: »
    A lady from HEAR in UCC was giving a speech in our school ages ago and she told us examples where students put down things like 'engineer' for a parent who had no third level education and fixed fridges or something and was denied HEAR on basis of that.

Well I was honest with mine, put down my parents' actual job titles. Didn't try to be fancy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

What is the appeal process ???

Zipppy wrote: »
    What is the appeal process ???

Just log into your CAO account, there should be an option to get it rechecked. Then it's just a simple form to fill in.

chomps_x wrote: »
    Got the letter and fingers crossed i get my first choice as it's a new course and not many people are familiar with it so hopefully points aren't too high for the first year!

Buzzing for this orientation only because we get to stay on campus and It will be my only chance of staying on campus as I can't afford it for the year (Commuting ftw!!!)

What's the deal with the residential thing? Like do they provide accommodation free of charge or are we required to pay for it?

One last thing what the hell happens at orientation? Is it just study skills and boring stuff like that?

P.S Anyone going to Maynooth? Anyone fancy Mantra on the first night? :D
    im in for mantra :D

im in for mantra :D

You're not allowed out after hours haha

nooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Got it. :)
    I wasn't really expecting it haha, but happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Hey guys,
    got accepted into the hear scheme today too but our guidance councellor is pretty useless and she kept mentioning free accommodation but im not sure if she was right, i know very little about what HEAR actually gives you? :confused:

does it mean i'll get in on lower points or is there financial support as well? any info is greatly appreciated

Hey guys,
    got accepted into the hear scheme today too but our guidance councellor is pretty useless and she kept mentioning free accommodation but im not sure if she was right, i know very little about what HEAR actually gives you? :confused:

does it mean i'll get in on lower points or is there financial support as well? any info is greatly appreciated

You may get in on lower points, no guarantee, and you'll get a small grant (very small!). You'll get educational supports offered to you throughout the year too, no free accommodation though, just for the orientation days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Hey guys,
    got accepted into the hear scheme today too but our guidance councellor is pretty useless and she kept mentioning free accommodation but im not sure if she was right

Anyone who gets a HEAR offer will be given priority for accommodation but will still have to pay.

Advertisement