Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

If you get your first choice, then that's it. You do not go back down the list. You can only move upwards. If you initially get your second choice, then in a subsequent round get an offer of your first choice then it's up to you if you want to accept or decline that offer. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 evermore

Hey everyone, I was putting aside my clothes for UCD HEAR orientation (as I will be gone on holidays all this week) and it seems I have loads :L Like I have to use a suitcase to fit in towels and stuff but I'm worried that I'll look like a right ejit carrying a suitcase in! What are ye all doing as regards supplies for the 5 days at UCD? (those of you who are confident ye'll be attending) My supplies looks like I'm off on a J1 :P lol

Will you be driving there ? Maybe you could split stuff into two bags and just have one with you then sneak the other one in from the car? I can only imagine the dilemma this will become when my daughter starts packing.. Leaving Cert/CAO stress will pale into insignificance : )

Just looking at the numbers for psychology in UCD, there's 75 spots last year. The HEAR site indicates the following:

"Minimum of 15% in all courses; divided across 3 access target groups (i.e. HEAR, DARE & Mature Students)".. so approx 11 or 12 places across the board.

Does anyone know if these spots are divided equally e.g. 4 for DARE, 4 HEAR and 4 mature students? or does it work differently? Don't think I'm going to sleep tonight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

evermore wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I was putting aside my clothes for UCD HEAR orientation (as I will be gone on holidays all this week) and it seems I have loads :L Like I have to use a suitcase to fit in towels and stuff but I'm worried that I'll look like a right ejit carrying a suitcase in! What are ye all doing as regards supplies for the 5 days at UCD? (those of you who are confident ye'll be attending) My supplies looks like I'm off on a J1 :P lol

Dont worry. I brought a small bag last year after initially packing way too much. When i got there lots of people had more than one suitcase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

dubdub123 wrote: »
    Just looking at the numbers for psychology in UCD, there's 75 spots last year. The HEAR site indicates the following:

"Minimum of 15% in all courses; divided across 3 access target groups (i.e. HEAR, DARE & Mature Students)".. so approx 11 or 12 places across the board.

Does anyone know if these spots are divided equally e.g. 4 for DARE, 4 HEAR and 4 mature students? or does it work differently? Don't think I'm going to sleep tonight..

I wish I didn't know that now ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Say there's 15% of places kept aside for HEAR, DARE and Mature Students.. And there was no DARE applicants at all applying for say an English course or any course, they would allow more HEAR and Mature Students into the course to fill up the 15%? Is that right? Or would they still keep it divided into a certain number of HEAR or Mature Students applicants, even if there was places available from no DARE applicants?

Sorry if that's confusing, btw. :L

Just wondering if the HEAR orientation is still complulsary?
    I hadn't paid much attention to it, but if I get into UCD with HEAR their orientation is partly during our 'Family Holiday'.
    It's too big a deal as we are staying near Dublin anyways but I just hadn't planned on it. I have a lot of stuff I need to get sorted during that time - shopping for college, looking for accommodation etc.
    Is it possible to miss the first day or two and go to the rest?
    I'd just like to know so I can arrange our plans around it if I have to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Does anyone know the dates for the HEAR orientation for NUIG and whether you have to stay there?

Raeone wrote: »
    Does anyone know the dates for the HEAR orientation for NUIG and whether you have to stay there?

26th-29th AUG, and yup it says residential.

• Advertisement

biohaiid wrote: »
    26th-29th AUG, and yup it says residential.

They provide accommodation, yesss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 evermore

DylanII wrote: »
    Dont worry. I brought a small bag last year after initially packing way too much. When i got there lots of people had more than one suitcase.
    Okay good to know I'm not alone :) thanksss

Just wondering (I always seem to be wondering) what happens if you are accepted or eligible for HEAR but get way more points than your course needed?
    Say someone got 590 points for 510 course (just an example).
    Obviously they don't need the reduced points HEAR offers, so would they just get accepted into the course the normal route.
    Or, would they still take up one of the HEAR places, due to the other benefits it offers?
    I have just discovered that there may be only 4 HEAR places available on my course and am getting worried that they could get occupied by people with much higher points ...
    Also, if the points of my course went down and I have enough, will I be accepted the normal route or by HEAR?
    I just want to have my head in the right place for tomorrow.

As far as I know, applicants who get more points needed than the reduced points still take up a place on HEAR, yes...

As far as I know, applicants who get more points needed than the reduced points still take up a place on HEAR, yes...

Noooo. :(
    Kinda just lost all hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mairead1992

9 hours! :o

What are the dates for st angelas hear orientation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 trytilidie

Just wondering (I always seem to be wondering) what happens if you are accepted or eligible for HEAR but get way more points than your course needed?
    Say someone got 590 points for 510 course (just an example).
    Obviously they don't need the reduced points HEAR offers, so would they just get accepted into the course the normal route.
    Or, would they still take up one of the HEAR places, due to the other benefits it offers?
    I have just discovered that there may be only 4 HEAR places available on my course and am getting worried that they could get occupied by people with much higher points ...
    Also, if the points of my course went down and I have enough, will I be accepted the normal route or by HEAR?
    I just want to have my head in the right place for tomorrow.

log off this or stop reading the thread lol..its only going to cause you to worry more

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

Since everyones getting their offers tomorrow, just wondering will hear contact us tomorrow..I'm just not sure how it'll work cos our offers prob won't come in the post until Tuesday so will hear not be until then?

• Advertisement

trytilidie wrote: »
    log off this or stop reading the thread lol..its only going to cause you to worry more

I know, I cant help it though. Wasn't worried about the results at all!

Is there any way for HEAR to still have places in Round 2? 10 points off my course I wanted, and that wasn't even with HEAR... And secondly, it's a DIT course which I was eligible for DIT reduced points... Omg I can't believe it. :/

HEAR didn't do anything for me either. :/

I had HEAR and DIT reduced points... I was off just 10 myself without any reduction.. Seriously looks like I'm repeating again. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

HEAR didn't do anything for me either. :/
    Students from HEAR may have met the quote anyway. They only have to accept a certain amount in and it would go on merit (i.e. the best HEAR students would get those places, regardless of whether they reached the points quota or not)

What's even more depressing is that DIT reduced points, the course I wanted in DIT 10 points off myself... I seriously don't know what to do now. :/

You know if in Round 2 the points fell... I'd still be in the HEAR category, right? Even if they came down 10 points and I would have enough points.. I'd still be with HEAR and it wouldn't be offered to me? .... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

You know if in Round 2 the points fell... I'd still be in the HEAR category, right? Even if they came down 10 points and I would have enough points.. I'd still be with HEAR and it wouldn't be offered to me? .... :/
    No, if you had the points you would get it, because you met the points. You wouldn't be one of the allocated HEAR students, but you would still be on the HEAR programme and recieve all benefits that entitles you to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jenny101

Hi I got 435 there on Wednesday and I am eligible for hear but I really wanted my first choice of biomedical science in maynooth I got offered general science. According to rte biomed is up this year from 435 to 460 do you think there would be anyway I could get a letter in the post today or tomorrow saying I got in to biomed or is it just what's on your cao offers is what you get . I thought I might've got biomed on the reduced points I'm do disappointed and how do you know if your offer is a hear place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Jenny101 wrote: »
    Hi I got 435 there on Wednesday and I am eligible for hear but I really wanted my first choice of biomedical science in maynooth I got offered general science. According to rte biomed is up this year from 435 to 460 do you think there would be anyway I could get a letter in the post today or tomorrow saying I got in to biomed or is it just what's on your cao offers is what you get . I thought I might've got biomed on the reduced points I'm do disappointed and how do you know if your offer is a hear place

No it's only on the CAO, no letters!

Advertisement