Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I live in Leoparstown and have seen loads more this year than in any other of our pervious football outings. Mostly on people's cars, but a good few hanging on people's houses. Best yet though was a guy I saw in a carpark. He had the wingmirror flags, mini flags attached to the doors, and a large tricolour entirely covering the back of his car window. Complete headaball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Wibbs wrote: »
    Saw a new one on me yesterday. A guy with the Irish flag on his beemers wing mirrors(looked like some sort of "sock" kinda thing). Made me smile anyway.

Condoms in Irish colours would make you smile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Most of the time when I see the tricolour it is a bit of graffiti on the wall with something like "26 + 6 = 1" written under it. I think this sort of thing has probably damaged my opinion of the flag somewhat... part of me does associated it with the IRA, etc.

We don't have to have the same opinion.

Definitely agree with this point.

Pity the flag was hijacked by a particular political ideology and their terrorist mates.

The flag's meaning is something I support, but for me its been polluted a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's almost as though people think we're going to win games. Or am I being too cynical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Confab wrote: »
    It's almost as though people think we're going to win games. Or am I being too cynical?
    You are being way too cynical, people just want something to feel good about, a chance to have a national party athmosphere after years of doom and gloom, fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I've been put of the country the last week, driving this morning I'd a huge smile looking at all the houses, kids and cars decked out in green, white and gold. Some of my best childhood memories are from euro 88 and Italia 90. Things have been so dark and depressing the last few years it's great to see everyone having something to look forward too and to talk about that isn't austerity, recession, unemployment. Ole ole ole :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's orange, not gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dotsey wrote: »
    It's not a class issue but I do think that people in certain parts of south Dublin would be leaning a lot more towards England and Britain than Ireland to be honest.

The establishment want to make it look and feel like it's common to support your country in a major sporting tournament, but these type of things bring atmosphere to the fore and will bind and unite us together as a people for the next week or two.

I'll be watching the England game in Finnegans, Dalkey on Monday. You are welcome to join me and gauge for yourself how many people will be cheering for England.

I'll give you a clue, not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

fuck all the begrudgers!

I havn't seen the people of this country so happy since this shitty recession has started. That can only be a good thing. Lets hope the lads can get a result for us today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

its a class thing alright, snobs dont show their colours because the jone's might have something to say and it dose'nt look good for the community where as in the common communitys they dont give a foot what the jone's say and its all for the community to enjoy themselfs and have a bit of fun. its about shown your colours and who you are and who you support. c'mon Ireland......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

pc7 wrote: »
    I've been put of the country the last week, driving this morning I'd a huge smile looking at all the houses, kids and cars decked out in green, white and gold.

Whereabouts? I haven't seen a single flag or piece of bunting with gold on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Sappa wrote: »
    That **** as you say is called our national flag

Whoopie doo. It doesn't mean I have to drape the front of my house and car in tacky crap. The way you're carrying on you'd think I just burned the tri-colour in your face.

Also endorsing violence, really? Apt name my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Abi wrote: »
    Whoopie doo. I doesn't mean I have to drape the front of my house and car in tacky crap. The way you're carrying on you'd think I just burned the tri-colour in your face.

Also endorsing violence, really? Apt name my friend.

No you don't have to do it, I'll be the first to admit my house is bunting and flag free. And after the rain of the past few days some of the bunting our way is looking a bit the worst for wear.

But you know what? Who cares...its all in the name of fun, its been really nice to see people round here walking around talking about football, the kids are out playing, everyone has something happy and positive to talk about. Its infectious. I personally have been dreading these games because I hate sport but I think I will sit down with a few beers to watch the game later and cheer on the team. Why not? Makes a change from talking about banks, politics and the other depressing rubbish.

eviltwin wrote: »
    But you know what? Who cares...its all in the name of fun, its been really nice to see people round here walking around talking about football, the kids are out playing, everyone has something happy and positive to talk about. Its infectious. I personally have been dreading these games because I hate sport but I think I will sit down with a few beers to watch the game later and cheer on the team. Why not? Makes a change from talking about banks, politics and the other depressing rubbish.

Well if you look back on my post I did say each to their own, I was merely giving my opinion on the stuff.

Its fine for those who are sensible and enjoy the football, but it's the kind that think it's fine to dish out slaps to women that should be barred from pubs everywhere. Theres always a certain few that ruin it for everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

My thoughts on this - it is a class thing, it's class snobbery. The middle and upper class have no problem supporting the Irish rugby team but soccer is and will always be a working class sport with huge working class support around the country.

Being working class - and I mean WORKING, not sponging off the dole, has been looked down upon the last few years, especially the Celtic Tiger years, when jumped-up gits started having high opinions and looking down their noses at other people as soon as they got a bit of cash. Together with that and retarded notions that flying your nation's flag is garish, crude and nationalistic and evidence of your support of the 'RA and other polluted Indo/Sindo ideas/Irish Daily Mail notions, and the end product is this thread.

Abi wrote: »
    Well if you look back on my post I did say each to their own, I was merely giving my opinion on the stuff.

Its fine for those who are sensible and enjoy the football, but it's the kind that think it's fine to dish out slaps to women that should be barred from pubs everywhere. Theres always a certain few that ruin it for everyone.

How do you make the leap from football to domestic violence? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

I think its great. Theres a great atnosphere around with loads of Ireland jerseys in the city centre.

Lets gets some pics up people:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Augmerson wrote: »
    My thoughts on this - it is a class thing, it's class snobbery. The middle and upper class have no problem supporting the Irish rugby team but soccer is and will always be a working class sport with huge working class support around the country.

Being working class - and I mean WORKING, not sponging off the dole, has been looked down upon the last few years, especially the Celtic Tiger years, when jumped-up gits started having high opinions and looking down their noses at other people as soon as they got a bit of cash. Together with that and retarded notions that flying your nation's flag is garish, crude and nationalistic and evidence of your support of the 'RA and other polluted Indo/Sindo ideas/Irish Daily Mail notions, and the end product is this thread.

Because you don't put a flag outside your house you are a snob?

LOL, so glad I don't live in Ireland anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Facepalm.jpg.

No, what makes you a snob is looking down on others who display flags or bunting or car stickers, looking down on them and thinking they are common, that's what makes you a snob. Plenty of people don't have flags outside their gaff's and nothing is wrong with that, it's not a law that you must display them.

I'm kind of glad you don't live in Ireland either to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

So are we.

How do you make the leap from football to domestic violence? :confused:

I never said anything about domestic violence, I was talking about violence in general. I was referring to this crap, which was in response to my 'each to their own comment'.

Sappa wrote: »
    That **** as you say is called our national flag,a few years back you would of got a deserved slap for saying that
    Come to think about it you deserve a good slap now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

lookitsme wrote: »
    I was driving around liffey valley in dublin yesterday and every second house had some sort of Irish flag or bunting. it looked kind of cool. I work in near Blackrock and you see nothing. Is showing your support to the irish team during the euro's a class thing

PS i have my flag up

Three of my neighbours have flags and buntings and flags on their cars and these stupid looking things with elastic that are on their side view mirrors. It just looks tacky and common.

But I must say I am feeling a compelling urge to fly the Union Jack outside just to upset them.

I think its really sad that anyone could think having a bit of pride in your national team is tacky or common :(

I think its really sad that anyone could think having a bit of pride in your national team is tacky or common :(

Having pride in your national team is not, having your house looking like something that should appear in an episode of Shameless is what about having some pride in your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

toexpress wrote: »
    Three of my neighbours have flags and buntings and flags on their cars and these stupid looking things with elastic that are on their side view mirrors. It just looks tacky and common.

But I must say I am feeling a compelling urge to fly the Union Jack outside just to upset them.

Steady now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I hope some teenage "common" people put your windows through.

That would make my day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'll be putting my flag up in a few minutes.:D

Nodin wrote: »
    Steady now.

I know you should have seen the faces of two of them when I made mention of going to London recently by saying "I'm going to the Mainland" ... these days I just do these things for effect

• Advertisement

I hope some teenage "common" people put your windows through.

That would make my day :)

s'ok am a good shot :-)

Advertisement