Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options
  • 09-06-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

I was driving around liffey valley in dublin yesterday and every second house had some sort of Irish flag or bunting. it looked kind of cool. I work in near Blackrock and you see nothing. Is showing your support to the irish team during the euro's a class thing

PS i have my flag up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the people in blackrock are better off because they don't waste their money on tat like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

It shouldnt be but probably is.

I know myself if I painted my house in the tricolour, the "residents association" would have something to say about it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Aye, I've been seeing little Irish flags on cars everywhere these days...

What's with that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Ireland ~ Euros =/= Leinster ~ Hino' Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i hate when people use common as an insult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Aye, I've been seeing little Irish flags on cars everywhere these days...

What's with that?!
    YOU'RE ONE OF THEM!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Yeah I kinda think it is. It's not just Neilstown (where I think you're referring to), the whole of Clondalkin is draped in them, even my estate. Working class area's have more character and pride I think.

Blackrock and the likes will be fairly quiet compared to the rest of Dublin tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 borzaboy

the people in blackrock are better off because they don't waste their money on tat like that.

The people in blackrock should start showing a bit of support for there country!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Even in my housing estate, the houses in the higher class area are bare while the "lower class" housing are covered in flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I agree with the OP, it's C as M. These horrible flags are flying off the shelves everywhere around here in Clondalkin. The ones for the car mirrors are worse though, I saw some genius in a Micra the other day who had them on backwards, totally covering the mirrors. The mind boggles.

The same thing happened for Italia 90 and The 2002 world cup, people painted lampposts and paths then too.

Some eejits round the corner from me painted their house green white and orange! Well half their house, the redbrick bit...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What's with that?!

There's an international football tournament on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

phasers wrote: »

Some eejits round the corner from me painted their house green white and orange

Fair play to them IMO that's what makes this country great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

lookitsme wrote: »
    Fair play to them IMO that's what makes this country great.
    Looks crap though. They've a load of flags covering their windows too actually, and one had Trap's face on it. There's a sight to wake up to :pac:

My Da was tempted to put out a Union Jack for the craic but I reckon our house would be petrol bombed.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I've seen Irish flags hung up outside houses in Ballsbridge, I don't really think its a class issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I've seen Irish flags hung up outside houses in Ballsbridge, I don't really think its a class issue...

I live in Ballsbridge and have yet to see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

I think its great showing a bit of pride for your country and having a bit of a laugh. People always have something to moan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I live in Ballsbridge and have yet to see one.

I've seen a few on shelbourne road.

Also on loads of cars around. Living in a 'posh' area doesn't mean you are incapable of national pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Very common. I only painted the cat green white and gold. She died.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

My area is well covered in Tri Colours & bunting for the Euro,s, It does seem to be the council estates that have done this and not private estates,Dont see any problem with it if thats what your in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I live near Blackrock, and I've seen a load on cars, not many on houses but every second car seems to have either a flag or a sticker on the wing mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Sorry to hear about your pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

would you not agree seeing all the flags puts you into the euro's mood, does anyone remember world cup 90 their was a great atmosphere in the country. the country is in a bit of sh*t creek at the moment so anything to put a smile on our face is good in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

was it the same colour as a taxi.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

In my apartment block, there's a family....rough as sandpaper....

They are they only ones with the flag, bunting, tri colour explosion..out of hundreds of families...

Fair play I think, wouldn't be for me though. My parents have it all, indoors!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you see the exact same at Crimbo, in the less well off areas they all have their gardens lit up like a landing strip, trying to outdo each other. definitely a class thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

phasers wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, it's C as M. These horrible flags are flying off the shelves everywhere around here in Clondalkin. The ones for the car mirrors are worse though, I saw some genius in a Micra the other day who had them on backwards, totally covering the mirrors. The mind boggles.

The same thing happened for Italia 90 and The 2002 world cup, people painted lampposts and paths then too.

Enthusiastically supporting the country is common as muck? Were you walking around in 1990 during the world cup annoyed at the flags and support for the national team? That must be a fairly miserable way to live your life.

I have ones on my car. Left it sitting in Dublin airport so everyone who sees it is jealous that I went off to the Euros (I didn't :(). It is a bit common, but fcuk it, it's years since we got to the euros so who cares, it's a bit of fun!

Now the lads across the road from me who used to have their house covered in utd flags every time they played, them I dislike. And I'm a utd supporter.

(oh, and I also work in blackrock! Head towards Brookfield, you'll see flags ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

was it the same colour as a taxi.......

Were you to trying to make it clear she wasn't a black cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

People are more into rugby in Blackrock.
    Maybe they just don't give a crap about the football thing next week or whenever it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Whatever your into I suppose.
    Personally I hate soccer so I have no interest in the matches, therefore I'm not going to be putting up a flag.
    Live & let live.
    I wouldn't be so far up my own arse to look down on someone who does put out bunting or flags.

Advertisement