Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Im always of the opinion that anybody who uses the words "West Brit" is usually a bit of a simpleton. But bravo, as you went and managed to add the other favourite word of the simpleton community "Begrudger" and turned it into an even bigger moronic attempt at an insult.

I think that could be possibly the worst post ive ever seen on any forum, ever.

I hope you are feeling a lot better now that you have gotten all that off your chest.:D:D;);)

But, apart from lashing out with personal insults against posters with whose views you do not agree, are you actually capable of responding, rationally and logically, to the points I make in my post, even if some of them seem to have touched on a sensitive nerve in whatever you use for thinking?:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I hope you are feeling a lot better now that you have gotten all that off your chest.:D:D;);)

But, apart from lashing out with personal insults against posters with whose views you do not agree, are you actually capable of responding, rationally and logically, to the points I make in my post, even if some of them seem to have touched on a sensitive nerve in whatever you use for thinking?:):)

As soon as i see words such as "west brit" and "begrudger" i pass over the post. Unfortunately you just left those words to last and i lost 20 seconds of my life :(. I wont waste my time responding to a person of a standard that would use such words. Its like the written (or typed) version of a person thats tucks their tracksuit bottoms into you socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Wikipedia wrote:
    In songs and poems, the colours are sometimes enumerated as "green, white and gold" in song, using poetic license.

I'm convinced that the use of gold instead of orange was so that the people writing songs and poems about Ireland would have something to rhyme with.

For example:

I stand beside our flag of green, white and gold.
    To tell you a story that needs to be told.
    Of brave men who fought and would never grow old.
    Who weathered the rain and the wind and the cold.
    We gathered our fellow men into our fold.
    With a pride in our country which could never be sold.
    As we battle against our fair lands being controlled.
    Even though we all have a fairly bad head cold.

(And I could go on.)

Sounds a lot better than

I stand beside our flag of green, white and orange.
    La la la la la la la la la splorange.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Very common. I only painted the cat green white and gold. She died.:(
    Died of embarrassment cause thats the Offaly flag not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭retroactive

Never understood why people think it's OK to defile our flag by putting stupid slogans or advertising pubs on it.

I have no problem national pride but putting slogans like "Allenwood on tour" or "Mekel thinks we're at work" is only makes you common but sheer trash

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

. I wont waste my time responding to a person of a standard that would use such words. Its like the written (or typed) version of a person thats tucks their tracksuit bottoms into you socks.

Haha lol you West Brit tan bastard ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

dav3 wrote: »
    The poor people of Blackrock can't afford flags or buntings anymore, what with having to pay off their 15 apartments in Bulgaria and getting daily botox injections, they haven't a cent left.
    Maybe we should have a whip-round for them?

We already have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Ireland ~ Euros =/= Leinster ~ Hino' Cup.

The support being shown had nothing to do with rugby. Another thing that makes soccer so great.

It's not common. Some people need to learn to enjoy themselves.

It's a lot of fun and adds to the occasion. More please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I think it is pure trashy. Its way too in your face and when I see the Wan's doing it, it confirms this even further. Round where I live it is in the houses that go over the top at Christmas & Halloween. Sadly their front gardens are void of any plants, shrubs or ironically anything green.

Plant a fu*ken tree in your garden for f's sake, move your bins to one inside instead of them sprawled all over the place.

I don't like it and I fear it brings out staunch Nationalism. I believe this is already coming to the fore with some nationalities already (including our own).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

There's nothing as trashy as snobbish eejits who use "common" as a term of disparagement... good luck to them and shag the West Brit begrudgers!

The irony...

• Advertisement

apart from lashing out with personal insults against posters with whose views you do not agree, are you actually capable of responding, rationally and logically
    good luck to them and shag the West Brit begrudgers!

The irony...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I find the whole flag deal to be odd.
    In America you have to take down the flag outside your house every night. If it touches the ground you have to dispose of it by building a fire of american wood, cut out the star field, Folded the flag and place it on the fire which the star field placed on top of the flag.
    In Ireland you get a flag free in some with some Sunday trash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Why would it be 'common' to display your national flag?

Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Jester252 wrote: »
    In America you have to take down the flag outside your house every night. If it touches the ground you have to dispose of it by building a fire of american wood, cut out the star field, Folded the flag and place it on the fire which the star field placed on top of the flag.

That's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I have noticed a load of African taxi drivers have the little Irish flag and wing mirrors,the Irish drivers must be going nuts that there little plan to identify the paddy driver is in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Thats wrong, never seen this happening in my life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't see what the fuss is about. I'm with gambiaman when he says "Nothing wrong with people going mad every few years" and fair play to them too. They're enjoying themselves and it's fostering more feelings of community with people decorating their houses and the like.

Not into football myself, not big into team sports full stop, but I think it's nice to see and if we do start to win I'll get into it too like the easily influenced gobshíte I am. :D I did in 1990 anyway. Back then a neighbour of mine, a Chinese lad ran up to me after that penalty shootout and hugged me and shouted "we won!" and you can't say fairer than that. Anything that helps us not have a broomstick up our collective holes is a good thing IMHO.

Saw a new one on me yesterday. A guy with the Irish flag on his beemers wing mirrors(looked like some sort of "sock" kinda thing). Made me smile anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

Can you imagine reading this thread prior to euro 88 or italia 90 (apart from the fact the internet didn't exist)? No. Too many jumped-up c****s in this country nowadays..

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

this might backfire come budget time
    https://p.twimg.com/Au8Cd8ECEAAoPq9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I think all that shit hanging out of houses and cars looks foul. But each to their own and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Jesus christ, what a thread. It goes to show that people who find the tricolour offensive are usually the ones with a political axe to grind, rather than the people actually flying them. Try going over to the UK and telling people it's "common" to festoon everything they have with their national flag and you'll get a belt in the mouth. Actually you'd probably get the same here, but internet yanno.

I was over visiting the Uk last weekend,my brothers house had the union jack bunting,wifes Irish/English and his kids were hanging flags.
    His mother in laws had pic's of the queen everywhere,each little village had masses of bunting and street parties.
    The Uk is a lot more multicultural than here and no one complained,I think it's great to have pride in our country even if your not originally from here.

Abi wrote: »
    I think all that sh[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]t hanging out of houses and cars looks foul. But each to their own and all that.
    That **** as you say is called our national flag,a few years back you would of got a deserved slap for saying that
    Come to think about it you deserve a good slap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It would be tacky if it was up all the time but its only going to be there as long as the team last. Get over yourselves....most of the houses where I live have it but thats cause they have kids living there and its a bit of fun for them. Let them enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

lookitsme wrote: »
    I was driving around liffey valley in dublin yesterday and every second house had some sort of Irish flag or bunting. it looked kind of cool. I work in near Blackrock and you see nothing. Is showing your support to the irish team during the euro's a class thing

PS i have my flag up

most apartments don't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Pride in the national colours never hurt anyone. Everyone concerned is having a good time for a couple of weeks and forgetting the relentless stream of bad news about the place.

Enjoy the game. Loud and proud.

Most of the time when I see the tricolour it is a bit of graffiti on the wall with something like "26 + 6 = 1" written under it. I think this sort of thing has probably damaged my opinion of the flag somewhat... part of me does associated it with the IRA, etc.

We don't have to have the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its pretty fúcking sad that the notion of flying your national flag at a time when the soccer team is in a major tournament would be seen as "common" - Actually the fact that Irish people would belittle other Irish people with this very British insult, is in itself, fúcking pathetic. It would be nice if we could throw off all these small minded notions and just celebrate (and be happy to see others celebrate) an event that comes around very rarely for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wibbs wrote: »
    Saw a new one on me yesterday. A guy with the Irish flag on his beemers wing mirrors(looked like some sort of "sock" kinda thing). Made me smile anyway.

I hope he was'nt a taxi driver :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

In America

They take flag etiquette seriously over there alright

There was outrage last year, Mexico and USA were playing an international soccer game in Los Angeles

Some of the Mexicans were waving the stars and stripes but holding them backwards.

Easy mistake I thought.
    Nope, to hope a flag that way is meant as a grave insult.
    The media went wild over it.

Advertisement