Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I donno, Irish flags don't look too pleasing at all. There's little colour coordination. A red and blue sort of thing looks a lot better, like the Union Jack.

/troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We should fly the free state flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

borzaboy wrote: »
    The people in blackrock should start showing a bit of support for there country!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I think it is great, up to a few years ago, you were seen as a RA head if you flew our flag; with special branch taking an sudden interest in you. I used to spend some time in northren Sweden, every house would have its flag flying, I would like to see that attitude here, not just at times of big sporting events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Common !!!

Would ya get your head out of your hole........

God dam it. I hate snobs .

Bit of national pride for once is great to see.

Hope we do well.

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    I think it is great, up to a few years ago, you were seen as a RA head if you flew our flag; with special branch taking an sudden interest in you. I used to spend some time in northren Sweden, every house would have its flag flying, I would like to see that attitude here, not just at times of big sporting events.

Yes a lot of nations practice it, USA being a case in point. We should feel comfortable flying our nations flag and embracing our state. The 26 counties is all we'll ever have and I'm perfectly happy with that. Go Ireland!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

All this national pride stuff is a load of nonsense to me really.
    I cannot fathom how putting a flag out because a football team are playing football - that that means you have national pride.
    I mean really think about it.
    It's all just symbolism.
    None of it actually means anything.
    It's all just what certain people have attributed meaning to.
    It's like at rock concerts when everyone makes that devil horn symbol with their hands - I don't see the point - it's just stupid.
    It doesn't matter whether people put stupid flags out or not - stop deciding it means this or that - it's not important at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I cannot fathom how putting a flag out because a football team are playing football - that that means you have national pride.
    It's all just symbolism.
    It's like at rock concerts when everyone makes that devil horn symbol with their hands - I don't see the point - it's just stupid.
    It doesn't matter whether people put stupid flags out or not - stop deciding it means this or that - it's not important at all.

I never said this to anyone before, but i feel sorry for you.

If you dont get it why people cheer and make devil horn symbols at an acdc concert then you really dont get humans.

Really.

You dont understand why football fans who get to cheer for their countries team, fly the flag. Are you even alive? Dear god.

I really do feel sorry for you. Your ignorance is holding you back. Let it go. You may feel a little better. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's all just symbolism.

Maybe those people are just getting swept along with a general feel good factor. Everyone hoping Ireland do well at the Euro's and those people at the concert just having a bit of fun or whatever by doing the devil horn thing. But apparently that's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Katgurl wrote: »
    I believe I drew it in school a few times. Our teacher told us to use orange but call it gold. What's the problem?

LOL. I like to imagine how that was explained to the class. :pac:

Teacher: use an orange crayon for the Irish flag
    Children: okay
    Teacher: but call it 'gold'
    Children: why?
    Teacher:
    Teacher:
    Teacher: BECAUSE OF REASONS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Lets not kid ourselves, it isnt the height of sophistication either. If your personal identity hasnt gone too far beyond the country your from and claim to represent then get thee to a library says i.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Folks from blackrock have William of Orange hanging proudly in there second sitting room round the back, what do expect from the legacy of those who came here and rampaged this place? Many of them wouldnt term themselves as truly Irish, just mere occupiers, the masters of puppets of banana republic. Of course, this goes unseen.

guitarzero wrote: »
    Folks from blackrock have William of Orange hanging proudly in there second sitting room round the back, what do expect from the legacy of those who came here and rampaged this place? Many of them wouldnt term themselves as truly Irish, just mere occupiers, the masters of puppets of banana republic. Of course, this goes unseen.

Wrong sir, the current Blackrock residents are what I'd term Nouveau riche. The 'occupiers' as you term us live in country estates overlooking vast cattle pastures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Wrong sir, the current Blackrock residents are what I'd term Nouveau riche. The 'occupiers' as you term us live in country estates overlooking vast cattle pastures.

Excuse me sir, excuse me. My friend has plenty of stories about his summer job renovating houses in the blackrock area, many of whom had paintings and other paraphernalia that indicated an allegiance to the crown and the like. Of course theres a nouveau riche, the cake was there for the taking, its still fresh in our memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Full moon tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is a commercial building visible from Grand Canal Dock dart station that just has the EU flag waving without the tricolor present. :eek:

The only time the EU flag should ever be waving on its own on a Dublin building should be at night.

There is a commercial building visible from Grand Canal Dock dart station that just has the EU flag waving without the tricolor present. :eek:

The only time the EU flag should ever be waving on its own on a Dublin building should be at night.

You must have a great life when you have so much time to find utter nonsense to worry about.

guitarzero wrote: »
    Excuse me sir, excuse me. My friend has plenty of stories about his summer job renovating houses in the blackrock area, many of whom had paintings and other paraphernalia that indicated an allegiance to the crown and the like. Of course theres a nouveau riche, the cake was there for the taking, its still fresh in our memories.

You must move on old boy, we're all chums now don't you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You must have a great life when you have so much time to find utter nonsense to worry about.

Nonsense to all those traitors that voted away our national sovereignty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In my area, one of the roughest estates is covered in flags and bunting etc. In my estate (which would be a bit quieter) there is nothing up bar a small handful of houses with small flags. I remember during WC94, my estate was decked in Ireland gear and a little less in WC02.

Over the last 20 years though my estate has changed greatly. A lot of people sold up during the property boom. There seems to be a more well off clientel that lives here than there were 20 years ago. Personally i do think it is a little bit low rent to deck your estate out with tri colours and bunting for a few weeks. Match days are fine IMO.

Nonsense to all those traitors that voted away our national sovereignty.

Rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was in Holland last last week and loads of people had decorated their gafs in the 'Oranje' as well as bars and shops, looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mr Manfred

I don't think it's a class think. It's obviously a football/sheep thing. Everyone I know with flags up either is an overthetop football fan or can't think for themselves and asked the neighbours where to get the flags. Thankfully the worst I have to put up with (out here in rural Ireland) is the car and pub flags. Besides, the upper classes will all be watching the French Open final today. Now there's a real high society sport - Tennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I'm from Blackrock and I am so excited to watch the match tonight.

There are many reasons why the houses aren't covered in flags here, but one of them definitely is the fact that it is a bit of a council estate thing.

Some of the other reasons are Blackrock people tend to be a bit more reserved, tend to have more pride in the appearance of their property, and are probably a little less "nationalist" than other parts of the country.

I am sure some people will get annoyed with me for saying this but the people I know in Blackrock would have different priorities than spending their time painting their house green or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I am sure some people will get annoyed with me for saying this but the people I know in Blackrock would have different priorities than spending their time painting their house green or whatever.

Yeah, like working. The doleys have loads of free time for paddywackery patriotism.

Yeah, like working. The doleys have loads of free time for paddywackery patriotism.

Your point is proven
    https://p.twimg.com/Au9jxjsCIAATWvl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There's nothing as trashy as snobbish eejits who use "common" as a term of disparagement. "Penny looking down on ha'penny" comes to mind.:):)

Some countries have very strict rules and guidelines about when, where and how to fly flags and these rules are generally followed very scrupulously.:D

But Ireland is not one of those countries, and if people are proud of their national team and want to fly their flag in the way they see best, then good luck to them and shag the West Brit begrudgers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I was in Holland last last week and loads of people had decorated their gafs in the 'Oranje' as well as bars and shops, looked great.

I was over there too last week and can report the same and yes, it looked great and the talk was of nothing but football.

Nothing wrong with people going mad every few years, there's not a lot the Irish people can get excited about and look forward to lately so instead of being snobby and picky, people should try going with the flow for once!

Up the Republic!

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    There's nothing as trashy as snobbish eejits who use "common" as a term of disparagement. "Penny looking down on ha'penny" comes to mind.:):)

Some countries have very strict rules and guidelines about when, where and how to fly flags and these rules are generally followed very scrupulously.:D

But Ireland is not one of those countries, and if people are proud of their national team and want to fly their flag in the way they see best, then good luck to them and shag the West Brit begrudgers!

Im always of the opinion that anybody who uses the words "West Brit" is usually a bit of a simpleton. But bravo, as you went and managed to add the other favourite word of the simpleton community "Begrudger" and turned it into an even bigger moronic attempt at an insult.

I think that could be possibly the worst post ive ever seen on any forum, ever.

Advertisement