Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Chinasea wrote: »
    In most civilised MULTI CULTURAL countries like the UK for example, if someone for instances from Ghana or Poland were to erect a flag to celebrate their team playing etc., this would be seen as run of the mill and accepted.

Unfortunately in our supposed multi cultural country the said nationals daren't even think about it for fear of back lashes, bricks through their windows etc.
    What a load of crap.

Head down to Cork and you will see flags from several different nations hanging proudly from windows.

You might get bricks in windows up where you are but not down this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I don't know why it would bother anyone that someone would write over the flag.
    It's just a flag.
    People can burn it or use it to wipe their ass for all I care.
    It's just a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's just a flag.
    It's just a flag.

I suppose it's the lack of respect that these practices imply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've seen a car with both Irish and Polish flags on it. Also see a Russian flag on a car. There are offices nearby with all sorts of flags pasted up on windows, obviously some sort of multinational workforce.
    Also, saw *enter PC mode* 2 "African Irish" people with Irish tricolours flying from their car, quite a sight to be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's just a flag.
    It's just a flag.

I'm not too worried about writing on a flag, if it is not offensive but I have a problem with burning flags.

It may be "Only" a flag, but the act of burning it is what is offensive (usually).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm not too worried about writing on a flag, if it is not offensive but I have a problem with burning flags.

It may be "Only" a flag, but the act of burning it is what is offensive (usually).

What about firing up a lighter fluid covered fire-proof flag with a flame motif on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I saw a taxi last night which had loads of flags all over it - mirrors, doors & back window. So far, so good. The only problem for me was that he had two flags hung out of the boot and they were effectively trailling off the ground. They might have been a few inches at most off the ground. It just looked really bad. You would *definitely* not get away with trailing the flag along the ground behind your car in most other countries. If nothing else, they are going to get destroyed by the exhaust.

In general terms, flying the flag is something to be proud of so I've no problem flying them. I flew the stars & stripes when Obama was over. I don't have a union jack, but would have likely have flown it when Queenie was here. The funny thing is that despite being a previously committed Europhile, I would actually have find it very hard these days flying the European flag on some big day. To me now it just symbolises the organised mafia (or military/industrial/economic complex if you want :p )that seem to be pulling the strings these days.

It's what flags are for, really, isn't it ? If you don't like people flying a flag what do you expect them to do with it ?

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I drove past this massive posh house the other day in Dublin, it had this massive flag flying from it:

http://im.glogster.com/media/5/34/19/28/34192877.jpg

So i wouldn't say its a class thing ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Show Time wrote: »
    What a load of crap.

Head down to Cork and you will see flags from several different nations hanging proudly from windows.

You might get bricks in windows up where you are but not down this way.

People in Cork are just nicer and more tolerant than people in the rest of the country. Sure it's the real capital after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Augmerson wrote: »
    People in Cork are just nicer and more tolerant than people in the rest of the country. Sure it's the real capital after all ;)

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Seen a car about an hour ago with a German and Irish flag on it, 2 commoners perhaps? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Overflow wrote: »
    I drove past this massive posh house the other day in Dublin, it had this massive flag flying from it:

http://im.glogster.com/media/5/34/19/28/34192877.jpg

So i wouldn't say its a class thing ;)

Ah but a massive posh house has very little to do with class - look at Westlife or any of our failed developers for example, big houses - no class.

Wealth itself does not bring class, but the National Lottery chief isn't going to go shouting that from the rooftops now is he :)

National pride is one thing, admirable of course, overt displays of nationalism are very definitely lower IQ indicators though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

gurramok wrote: »
    Seen a car about an hour ago with a German and Irish flag on it, 2 commoners perhaps? :)

Did it have a Cork reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

All this talk of flags made me think of a Bill Hicks' sketch:

Did you watch the flag burning thing? Wasn't that great man? Boy everybody showed their true colours then didn't they?....Scary... People just flipped, they reacted like The Supreme Court approved of flag burning, know what I mean?

"Does that mean we have to burn our flags?.. They said that we ha-"...
    NO NO NO NO NO NO, they didn't say that. They said that if someone wanted to burn a flag, he perhaps doesn't need to go to jail for a year...Pretty harsh on their part huh?

"They said we should bur-"....
    They didn't say that, they didn't say that, they didn't say that

"Does that mean I have to go and -"....
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... Listen, read , think, calm down, relax, SHUT THE **** UP

"Well I don't get it..I don't wanna burn my flag"....T
    HEN DOOOOOOOOOOON'T.

People snapped, they were like "Hey buddy, my dad died for that flag"

"Really?...I bought mine...They sell 'em in K-Mart..."

"yeah..He died in Korea for that flag"

"Wow, what a coincidence. Mine was made in Korea... the world is THAT big man..."

No-one, and I repeat NO-ONE has ever died for a flag. A flag is a piece of cloth, they might have died for freedom, which, by the way, is the freedom to....Burn the.. ****ing flag you see??..Burning the flag doesn't make freedom go away, it's kinda like Free-dom ok?..ok.

And they've had 4 cases in this country's 200 year history, so it's not that big an issue. One of the hotter smokescreens they've put down the pipe. I don't wanna burn a flag, but what business is it of mine if you do?

Is it my business if someone wants to..Is it?...NO

Is it my business what other people read or watch on TV? NO IT'S NOT...THANK YOU

You see, when we talk these things through, it becomes a little clearer doesn't it? That's called logic and it'll help us all evolve and get on the ****ing spaceships and get outta here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

rgmmg wrote: »
    All this talk of flags made me think of a Bill Hicks' sketch something something TL;DR

newport2 wrote: »
    Did it have a Cork reg?

No, a D reg on an American car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

has anyone taken their flags down after last nights poor performance. i think i will keep mine flying till spain lift the cup.

lookitsme wrote: »
    has anyone taken their flags down after last nights poor performance. i think i will keep mine flying till spain lift the cup.

No. If they had lost 10-0, I would have kept them up. Its the taking part that counts(and singing) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I am sure a lot of people will leave them up to show support to the Irish teams in the Olympics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I just saw a car with Polish wing mirror socks! It's nice to see variety, every car should paint their wing mirrors in fun colours when the football ends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Take them down people.

We were knocked out 4 days ago:(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Seems to be quite common to have Ivory Coast flags atm.

Take them down people.

Hang on there.... Sure are there not the Olympics followed closely by the world cup qualifiers coming up. Leave em up and add more to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

derekeire wrote: »
    Take them down people.

Hang on there.... Sure are there not the Olympics followed closely by the world cup qualifiers coming up. Leave em up and add more to them.

God forbid.

Lots have taken down the flags from cars and bunting from houses, still some hanging around though. Olympics are on later next month, if ya wan gets to the medals, its happy times again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

toexpress wrote: »
    I know you should have seen the faces of two of them when I made mention of going to London recently by saying "I'm going to the Mainland" ... these days I just do these things for effect

Next time you're in London, tell people there you're going to the Mainland and see the look on their faces!

Advertisement