Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

toexpress wrote: »
    Having pride in your national team is not, having your house looking like something that should appear in an episode of Shameless is what about having some pride in your house?

FFS its only a bit of fun, hardly makes you some scumbag skanger if you have a few bits of bunting out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Augmerson wrote: »
    Facepalm.jpg.

No, what makes you a snob is looking down on others who display flags or bunting or car stickers, looking down on them and thinking they are common, that's what makes you a snob. Plenty of people don't have flags outside their gaff's and nothing is wrong with that, it's not a law that you must display them.

I'm kind of glad you don't live in Ireland either to be honest.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I know you should have seen the faces of two of them when I made mention of going to London recently by saying "I'm going to the Mainland" ... these days I just do these things for effect

....when you eventually do ballad night in the local and sing your original composition "Cromwell, the darlin of Erin", don't post here with your unbroken limb looking for sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

phasers wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, it's C as M. These horrible flags are flying off the shelves everywhere around here in Clondalkin. The ones for the car mirrors are worse though, I saw some genius in a Micra the other day who had them on backwards, totally covering the mirrors. The mind boggles.

The same thing happened for Italia 90 and The 2002 world cup, people painted lampposts and paths then too.

Some eejits round the corner from me painted their house green white and orange! Well half their house, the redbrick bit...

Get off your high horse u spa this is what the euros and world cup is about the whole country could do with something to cheer about...

By the way i have two flags and a **** load of buntons outside my place.... And i love it!!!!!!!!!!
    COYBIG....

Having pride in your national team is not, having your house looking like something that should appear in an episode of Shameless is what about having some pride in your house?

They only understand black and white, so you're wasting your time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

eviltwin wrote: »
    How do you make the leap from football to domestic violence? :confused:

I was wondering about that myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Nodin wrote: »
    ....when you eventually do ballad night in the local and sing your original composition "Cromwell, the darlin of Erin", don't post here with your unbroken limb looking for sympathy.

Am getting a Union Jack now I have to just for the looks on faces would be worth it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Get off your high horse u spa this is what the euros and world cup is about the whole country could do with something to cheer about...

By the way i have two flags and a **** load of buntons outside my place.... And i love it!!!!!!!!!!
    COYBIG....
    Emmas? Always fancied her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

They only understand black and white, so you're wasting your time...

They?????

They?????

Yes it seems I am now one of the snobs

To be clear I was basically ripping the proverbial there. Let there be no mistake about it it wouldn't be my personal choice I don't think it looks nice but at the end of the day when you pay your mortgage how you display your house is your own business.

When I moved into my first flat on my first Christmas we all got letters telling us we were only allowed to have 100 plain lights on our balconies at most! I went to Argos and my balcony had a 6ft light up Santa on it (was tacky and I hated it but it annoyed the right people) there were other equally horrific decorations involve got a huge power bill but didn't care :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I think it's quite comical actually. Any other day in the year that Ireland isn't playing internationally it's called a shit hole by the masses. They'd be the very ones decking out their houses and cars with bunting, flags and donning face paint when the football does roll around. Hypocritical doesn't even come close to covering this shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

What about these "common" sheep :D

They?????

The people who cannot differentiate between being a soccer fan, covering your house in flags, and having pride in your country.

You can be none, one, two or all three of the above.

It has nothing to do with being a snob.

Seriously, if I got a euro every time I met someone from a working class area who has a chip on his shoulder about being from a working class area...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's not common at all IMO to have the flag hanging on ones home.
    Why should it be it's our flag isn't it?
    Wouldn't it be worse if it was burned....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Am getting a Union Jack now I have to just for the looks on faces would be worth it ...

Go ahead and fly your Union Jack. Tbh, I couldn't care less if someone from a different country wants to fly their flag here. If I went abroad I'd bring my Tricolour and I'd fly it or hang it where ever I lived. The thing is, I don't think you are from the UK, so it's a bit odd and people would just think your looking for attention. Unless you have some kind of hard on for the Queen. She's a bit old though. Yer wan who married Prince William though, she's fine/

Seriously, if I got a euro every time I met someone from a working class area who has a chip on his shoulder about being from a working class area...

Different subject, a fair point but totally off the topic of this particular thread

Augmerson wrote: »
    Go ahead and fly your Union Jack. Tbh, I couldn't care less if someone from a different country wants to fly their flag here. If I went abroad I'd bring my Tricolour and I'd fly it or hang it where ever I lived. The thing is, I don't think you are from the UK, so it's a bit odd and people would just think your looking for attention. Unless you have some kind of hard on for the Queen. She's a bit old though. Yer wan who married Prince William though, she's fine/

Do you not think that? Really well you think what you like lol

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Our French son-in-law who lives here plans to hang out the tricolour tomorrow. For all I know, we may end up with La Marseillaise blasting out of the windows as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Our French son-in-law who lives here plans to hang out the tricolour tomorrow. For all I know, we may end up with La Marseillaise blasting out of the windows as well.

Which tricolour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

gurramok wrote: »
    Which flag do you support Paddy?

Paddy "KeithAFC" Cleburne is from Up North. ;)

• Advertisement

Why would anyone supporting England fly the Union Jack? If you support England then fly the George Cross flag.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Which tricolour?

Sorry if that was ambiguous - the French one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

They only reaction you'll manage to illicit will be confusion.

At the very least make an effort and purchase an English Flag. They happen to be competing in the Euros, and so your pretty lacklustre trolling it will actually make sense...

Why would anyone supporting England fly the Union Jack? If you support England then fly the George Cross flag.

That's what I think as well though strictly speaking it's the flag of St George. The George Cross is a civil decoration bestowed in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Got our flag out ! looks great, even has a Leeds crest in the middle (Hopefully not a sign of how we'll do at the euros tho !). Quite a few others with their flags out. No bunting tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

This is outside my friends house in West Belfast!!

Pandora2 wrote: »
    This is outside my friends house in West Belfast!!

That shouldn't be too controversial in Andytown. It could lead to an animated exchange of views up the Shankill though.

They only reaction you'll manage to illicit will be confusion.

At the very least make an effort and purchase an English Flag. They happen to be competing in the Euros, and so your pretty lacklustre trolling it will actually make sense...

Yeah if you bothered to read any of my posts I clearly stated that it was not my taste to have bunting/flags outside of my house but I respected the fact that others wish to do it anything else was just a joke really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

phasers wrote: »
    Looks crap though. They've a load of flags covering their windows too actually, and one had Trap's face on it. There's a sight to wake up to :pac:

My Da was tempted to put out a Union Jack for the craic but I reckon our house would be petrol bombed.

Surely a St George's Cross rather than a Union Jack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

That shouldn't be too controversial in Andytown. It could lead to an animated exchange of views up the Shankill though.

I sincerely hope they are well weighted down...potshots over Belfast tonight if they take flight!!!

Advertisement