Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Katgurl wrote: »
    It still looks the same.
    Really? I don't know anyone who can't tell the difference between Gold and Orange.
    Green, White and Gold obviously just became an expression. Again, what is the problem with describing it that way?

the problem is it's wrong. it'd be like the English or Americans saying red, white and purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

that's actually shocking. So why did our teachers hammer the gold into us? Everyone one of our primary school teachers at that.

teachers are not the best educated of people......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

The worst would be if somebody was going to put up an Irish flag at their house but decided against doing so after reading this thread and realising that many would consider them working-class if they did, rather than being characteristic of the middle-class status they aspire to. I suppose that would relate to the Hyacinth Bucket thread from a few days ago. I bet those same people pretend to like rugby and care about the Leinster/Irish rugby team, only drink Heineken and modify and soften their thick accents; most people can spot these contrived affectations a mile off and the person trying to carry them off is neither appreciated nor wanted by any stratum of society. In an effort to give themselves more social freedom, they have shackled themselves into a no-mans land of constantly having the watch and modify their actions and behaviour so as not to give the game away!

yeah and the worst is that some moron actually will do exactly that. My old boss sent back his giant tv he'd been so excited about after a similar discussion in the office a number of years ago. Tw@t.

It still looks the same.
    Really? I don't know anyone who can't tell the difference between Gold and Orange.
    Green, White and Gold obviously just became an expression. Again, what is the problem with describing it that way?

the problem is it's wrong. it'd be like the English or Americans saying red, white and purple.

Yes but it's still presented as orange just described that way - I thought it was from a song or something in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

yeah and the worst is that some moron actually will do exactly that. My old boss sent back his giant tv he'd been so excited about after a similar discussion in the office a number of years ago. Tw@t.

And for what it's worth.. I've a flag up but live in a pleasant countryside area.. but I really dislike pomposity/ pretentiousness. At the end of the day, we're all lumps of meat that need to wash every few days or we stink...!

• Advertisement

Yes but it's still presented as orange just described that way - I thought it was from a song or something in the 80s

It's presented as orange because it is orange. I don't know why someone would describe it as gold unless they really didn't know the colours of their own flag, which is really sad.

It's presented as orange because it is orange. I don't know why someone would describe it as gold unless they really didn't know the colours of their own flag, which is really sad.

ffs. I know it's orange. I just don't know why people are getting enraged about an expression, perhaps it's fizzled out now I dunno, but it was always used in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

circos wrote: »
    Whats wrong with supporting the best club rugby team in Europe?

I'm just saying OP seems to be a member of the group who somehow get it into their heads that the "common people" are somehow distasteful because they show their country's colours. Typical snobbish view, people nowadays are so obsessed with keeping up appearances

circos wrote: »
    Whats wrong with supporting the best club rugby team in Europe?

I'm just saying OP seems to be a member of the group who somehow get it into their heads that the "common people" are somehow distasteful because they show their country's colours. Typical snobbish view, people nowadays are so obsessed with keeping up appearances

No the OP said he'd be hanging out his flag too so I don't see how he can be claiming it's distasteful.

ffs. I know it's orange. I just don't know why people are getting enraged about an expression, perhaps it's fizzled out now I dunno, but it was always used in the 80s.

well your posts don't seem to reflect it. people take their flags seriously. (I think) the Americans even have decommissioning ceremonies for them. if someone is wrong, they should be corrected, simple as that. I don't see anyone here getting enraged.

• Advertisement

i was common in ireland to refer to the flag, as green white and gold..........

not a problem.......sort of a romantic reference......

well your posts don't seem to reflect it. people take their flags seriously. (I think) the Americans even have decommissioning ceremonies for them. if someone is wrong, they should be corrected, simple as that. I don't see anyone here getting enraged.

you are 100% right we should defo look to Americans for guidance on how to conduct ourselves. I will say green White and orange from now on, it has a lovely ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I live in an apparently leafy suburb and there's plenty of bunting and car flags about the place, even full tricolours draped out windows. It's not just council estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

It's not a class issue but I do think that people in certain parts of south Dublin would be leaning a lot more towards England and Britain than Ireland to be honest.

The establishment want to make it look and feel like it's common to support your country in a major sporting tournament, but these type of things bring atmosphere to the fore and will bind and unite us together as a people for the next week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's common to fly the flag from the roof of Áras an Uachtaráin which give or take a million or two ,is about as posh as you can get .

sdeire wrote: »
    I live in an apparently leafy suburb and there's plenty of bunting and car flags about the place, even full tricolours draped out windows. It's not just council estates.

it mightn't be a council estate but perhaps it's 'a bit common'?

Dotsey wrote: »
    It's not a class issue but I do think that people in certain parts of south Dublin would be leaning a lot more towards England and Britain than Ireland to be honest.

come again? Dublin southsiders support English teams over Irish teams or we behave like them generally?

that's entirely possible. doesn't stop it being stupid though.
    you are 100% right we should defo look to Americans for guidance on how to conduct ourselves.
    Yes. because that's clearly what my post suggested. ffs :rolleyes:
    I will say green White and orange from now on, it has a lovely ring to it.
    good on you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Good luck to Croatia. Nijedan Izručenje.
    Oh hai Keith!

Welcome back :pac:

come again? Dublin southsiders support English teams over Irish teams or we behave like them generally?

the cross of saint patrick, with rwo other crosses.....make up the union jack...

• Advertisement

that's entirely possible. doesn't stop it being stupid though.
    you are 100% right we should defo look to Americans for guidance on how to conduct ourselves.
    Yes. because that's clearly what my post suggested. ffs :rolleyes:
    I will say green White and orange from now on, it has a lovely ring to it.
    good on you. :D

thanks for the boldface and emoticons I wouldn't have been able to figure out your intended meanings otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

It's common and tacky no doubt and quite a lot of the people who do this are the dregs of society but that doesn't mean that everyone who puts up flags like they're going out of fashion is a scumbag. Plenty of them make a worthwhile contribution to this country so for them that's fine, as long as it's not offensive then we shouldn't care either way.
    Personally I couldn't give a toss about this team or competition and wish I could avoid all mention of it. Yes it's mostly a class thing but so what? If people want to cover their cars and houses in flags etc who are we to say that's wrong? I love seeing the Leinster blue on the way to a match but I'm sure there are plenty of non rugby people who hate it. Live and let live or be a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

the flag was designed to show irelands claim to the six counties.....

the orange run counties...

that's actually shocking. So why did our teachers hammer the gold into us? Everyone one of our primary school teachers at that.

Read this: http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/publications/1104.pdf

Gold is apparently a nod to our glorious catholic church and the papal flag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The National Flag should never be defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering or pictures of any kind on it, for example at sporting events.

Someone tell Davy Keogh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Very common. I only painted the cat green white and gold. She died.:(

She would of died even if you did`t paint her. It would of just taken longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

Everyone I know would also describe it as green white and gold. I remember at St Patricks day parades years ago depending on the vendor they sold two types of flags, one with yellow and one with orange, confused me as a child at the time as to why we had 2 different flags.

Even search google for "Ireland green white and" gold will be suggested first :pac:

from wikipedia

"Occasionally, differing shades of yellow, instead of orange, are seen at civilian functions. However the Department of the Taoiseach state that this is a misrepresentation which "should be actively discouraged",[7] and that worn-out flags should be replaced.[17] In songs and poems, the colours are sometimes enumerated as "green, white and gold" in song, using poetic license. The use of a shade of yellow is also often done intentionally by those who are not comfortable with the generally held belief that the Orange in the flag represents supporters of the Orange order. The Irish government likely actively discourages this since the Good Friday Agreement was signed in 1998 in an effort to foster peace and unity.[18][19]"

thanks for the boldface and emoticons I wouldn't have been able to figure out your intended meanings otherwise.

i'm sure you wouldn't
    The National Flag should not be draped
    on cars, trains, boats or other modes of
    transport
    ; it should not be carried flat, but
    should always be carried aloft and free,
    except when used to drape a coffin; on
    such an occasion, the green should be at
    the head of the coffin (Figure H).

hmm, interesting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do the council paint back over the houses in these areas when its over or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

The poor people of Blackrock can't afford flags or buntings anymore, what with having to pay off their 15 apartments in Bulgaria and getting daily botox injections, they haven't a cent left.
    Maybe we should have a whip-round for them?

• Advertisement

Do the council paint back over the houses in these areas when its over or what?

yes, in the colours of the winning team......this year it will be the union jack.....

Advertisement