Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Get off your high horse u spa this is what the euros and world cup is about the whole country could do with something to cheer about...

By the way i have two flags and a **** load of buntons outside my place.... And i love it!!!!!!!!!!
    COYBIG....
    The irony is that a lot of the people who bedeck themselves with Irish flags around this time are the same people who make a career of drawing the dole and petty crime. They 'love' 'their country', but spend their lives making it miserable for the rest of us.

Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Showing it to whom? Who does it benefit? I'm sure they will be shouting at the telly just as loudly as we get hockeyed by Spain and Italy, or limp out of the tournament with some sort of 'moral victory' (i.e. a defeat or draw).

It looks like the bandwagon sports fans will be staying with the rugby provinces for a while yet.

That's a lowball comment

In fairness I doubt we will and if we do Ill still support them like I have since I was a kid

Rugby is a great game but remember its played by a couple of handful of nations therefore a lot easier to bloody win!!

I for one wont be hiding my support for the team or country. Ill actually be glad for the bandwagoners to move onto the next fashionable sporting victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So not quite the patriotic Croat your sig implies then?

Funny that.
    I thought so anyway.
    Piste wrote: »
    I think this post proves that the answer to the thread question is "yes".

That is precisely what I thought when I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

borzaboy wrote: »
    The people in blackrock should start showing a bit of support for there country!

They are supporting their country. Who do you think pays for all the council estates with all the flags adorning them? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The irony is that a lot of the people who bedeck themselves with Irish flags around this time are the same people who make a career of drawing the dole and petty crime. They 'love' 'their country', but spend their lives making it miserable for the rest of us.

Odd.
    "A lot"? Really? Way to tar many thousands of people with the same brush.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Do they still have murals glorifying dead knackers in West Belfast? Last time I was there I couldn't wait to get out of the place...what a kip. Tricolours everywhere like dogs píssing to mark their terrority.

I gather you mean their public support for a United Ireland & their modern art salutes to their heroes?? ;) Chill the feck out, we're talking football here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Sorry, Double Post ><

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I actually don't know what the word "common" means. Does it mean "common man" as in someone who probably didn't go to university and lives in a working class area? Or is it an insult?

Genuinely don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Wibbs wrote: »
    "A lot"? Really? Way to tar many thousands of people with the same brush.
    "A lot" is deliberately vague as I don't have an exact figure or percentage - but I believe 'thousands' certainly fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Yeah, they're slightly tacky and somewhat common, but I can't help but caught up in the fervour of it all.

Besides, the country needs a boost in morale at the moment, and seeing flags being erected is nothing but a good thing in that regard.

• Advertisement

Flags & buntings don't boost my morale.
    A good ride would though. :pac:

Coming into work this morning i saw a car with four flags (one on each window) and the mirror socks too.
    Common as ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Flags & buntings don't boost my morale.
    A good ride would though. :pac:

Coming into work this morning i saw a car with four flags (one on each window) and the mirror socks too.
    Common as ****!

I bet the driver's getting a good ride too though (though hopefully not while driving)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The more flags the better imo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Surely a St George's Cross rather than a Union Jack?
    Whatever

Oh and there's been a new addition to the estate, someone painted their car green white and orange. I assume it's off the road because they painted the windshield but God only knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I actually don't know what the word "common" means. Does it mean "common man" as in someone who probably didn't go to university and lives in a working class area? Or is it an insult?

Genuinely don't know.

You know those houses with a million gnomes and things in their garden? - That's common!
    Tacky basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Tri-colour(Green white and gold) out my bedroom window and the Southern Cross flag hanging from my study room in honour of the Cork footballers winning yesterday. For some strange reason the only neighbours of mine who seem any bit upset are the black lads over the road but as they are only renting their views mean nothing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

phasers wrote: »
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Surely a St George's Cross rather than a Union Jack?
    Whatever

Oh and there's been a new addition to the estate, someone painted their car green white and orange. I assume it's off the road because they painted the windshield but God only knows...

I saw a car yesterday with those wing mirror covers on backwards. Made me smile : )

Show Time wrote: »
    Tri-colour(Green white and gold) out my bedroom window and the Southern Cross flag hanging from my study room in honour of the Cork footballers winning yesterday. For some strange reason the only neighbours of mine who seem any bit upset are the black lads over the road but as they are only renting their views mean nothing to me.

The Irish tricolour is green, white and orange. What flag are you flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Offaly flag, which he does as a proud Corkonian.

I don't go for the orange in my Irish flag as all the lads who follow the orange would rather live under a union jack.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The Offaly flag, which he does as a proud Corkonian.
    The Southern Cross flag represents my love of Cork and all that the real capital brings to the country.

I don't go for the orange in my Irish flag as all the lads who follow the orange would rather live under a union jack.

But its not an Irish flag then as article 7 of the Irish constitution clearly states the colours are green, white and orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

Not your choice! It written into our constitution. See earlier threads.

LostInLM wrote: »
    That constitution will be changed at a later date.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

Above this Chamber flies the flag of this nation - all Thirty-two counties - the flag of green, white and orange.

Deputy Gerry Adams -Dail Eireann 2011.
    Vol.728 No. 1 p.8 c.52

You can append it in to the next Euro referendum. Nobody reads those things anyway : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

The Southern Cross flag represents my love of Cork and all that the real capital brings to the country.

Great minds,eh? I love Cork and feel that Dublin brings a lot to the country too ;)

newport2 wrote: »
    Great minds,eh? I love Cork and feel that Dublin brings a lot to the country too ;)
    I have not read the thread fully but would i be right in guessing that a few of the more PC heads on here are claiming that even flying the tricolour is racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Above this Chamber flies the flag of this nation - all Thirty-two counties - the flag of green, white and orange.

Deputy Gerry Adams -Dail Eireann 2011.
    Vol.728 No. 1 p.8 c.52

Only 'come all ye' ballad singers call it gold. Hard to find something to rhyme with orange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Pride in the national flag should be very common amongst Irish people.

That aside, it's interesting how the people being asked to bear the brunt of sacrifice/austerity are perceived as having more pride in the national flag, as opposed to the more affluent members of our fine country who seem to distain or consider it "common as muck" to display the national flag.

No real point to make, just find it interesting is all.

Advertisement