Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fair point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I dunno, but it is rather loserish to look at this in any negative kind of way. Go to another country and if they have their national flag up everywhere its looked as great, fair play to them having some kind of national pride. But do it here in Ireland and we have clowns trying to insult and look down their noses. Get a life

Not one to go overboard on national pride, but I can assure you there's plenty of it about in Germany. Seems not to be doign any damage.

(The bloody fireworks when that goal went in, on the other hand, nearly gave the cat a heartattack)

between this and the poster painting the cat it seems that the euros are bad for cats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Jesus Christ, if that's what people are into then leave them to it. Some people cannot help themselves with the moaning.

If you think that it's tacky and crap looking (fair enough) well just try, for one week, to remove the pole from your anus, go have a beer or two tomorrow...and maybe even crack a smile. You'll probably have a good time and nobody will have to stare at your sour faces during a week that should be about having fun and being patriotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Where is gold coming from?? it is clearly orange, not gold :rolleyes:

Blame phookin Centra. I bought mine a few hours ago and yes they were gold instead of orange. Wtf? I have put them on the car though.

And yes Santry(pronounced Santrey :D), has flags everywhere to ahem bridge that class divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Not one to go overboard on national pride, but I can assure you there's plenty of it about in Germany. Seems not to be doign any damage.

(The bloody fireworks when that goal went in, on the other hand, nearly gave the cat a heartattack)

Most of it will be flares and stuff like that, so I heard from friends in Germany.

Anyway, I have the Irish flag in one window, the German flag in the window next to it. My way to show, where I live and where I come from, and what I'm proud of :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

whats wrong with supporting your country??

there is an underlying view in this country that by displaying some patriotism by flying a flag, your are supporting the IRA ..

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    whats wrong with supporting your country??

there is an underlying view in this country that by displaying some patriotism by flying a flag, your are supporting the IRA ..

views of stupid d1ckheads imo

Off point, one time I saw this guy working at a mobile chipper wearing a Celtic jersey. On the back it had the number 32 and the name Sands. I was in awe of his republicanism I can tell ya :)

Awe!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I always taught in primary school that the flag was 'green white and orange'

Where is gold coming from?? it is clearly orange, not gold :rolleyes:

I heard that the 'green, white and gold' thing, which a lot of people do say, came about from people who didn't feel our flag should be a sign of peace with the unionists refusing to say orange.

iguana wrote: »
    I heard that the 'green, white and gold' thing, which a lot of people do say, came about from people who didn't feel our flag should be a sign of peace with the unionists refusing to say orange.

You sure? I thought it was something of a Free state mentality that wanted nothing to do with NI, i maybe wrong though. Its strange alright, you'd think there would be laws about how manufacturers should design our flag!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I grew up in Blackrock, but live in Ballyfermot. I've my bunting up and Irish flag up.

• Advertisement

I don't know, it's just something I heard. But there are quite a few republican type songs which refer to Green, White and Gold as the flag colours. I do remember some teachers (and brownie leaders) insisting we used yellow for our drawings of flags, as it was most like gold. When some kids said it should be orange they were told they were wrong, even when they knew about the meaning the flag they were told they were wrong. I'm not sure if that was just badly educated teachers or a bit of sectarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

people should leave the flags up for the Olympics. Also other sporting events, of which there are many. I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Good luck to Croatia. Nijedan Izručenje.

Good luck to Croatia. Nijedan Izručenje.

Which flag do you support Paddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Yes - hanging Irish flags is more common in working class areas than in middle class ones, as are ludicrously large tvs and garish Christmas decorations.

Stating a fact does not mean people are looking down their noses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Very common. I only painted the cat green white and gold. She died.:(

Did she die of embarrassment because you didn't know the colours of your own flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'm working class but haven't bothered putting up any flags or bunting. But that's mostly because I suspect we're going to get hammered and come home with zero points. And frankly I resent the interruption to the LOI season.

I suppose if we make it to the quarters then I'll probably jump on the bandwagon for fear of being run out of town by a green jersey wearing, plastic hammer wielding mob.

:D

Very common. I only painted the cat green white and gold. She died.:(

Did she die of embarrassment because you didn't know the colours of your own flag?

what is this new debate about? The flag colours were always stated as green, White and gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I'm working class but haven't bothered putting up any flags or bunting. But that's mostly because I suspect we're going to get hammered and come home with zero points. And frankly I resent the interruption to the LOI season.

So am I.

Neither have I.

So do I.

So do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Katgurl wrote: »
    what is this new debate about? The flag colours were always stated as green, White and gold.

there are no gold men in ireland.......

• Advertisement

They never were by anyone who knew what they were talking about. Article 7 of the Constitution of Ireland states "The National Flag is the Tricolour of Green, White and Orange."

The flag colours were always stated as green, White and gold.

Who says Katgurl? Do you actually know our flag at all?:eek:

They never were by anyone who knew what they were talking about. Article 7 of the Constitution of Ireland states "The National Flag is the Tricolour of Green, White and Orange."

I'm so ashamed of my 6 year old self that I just took my teachers word at face value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I don't know, it's just something I heard. But there are quite a few republican type songs which refer to Green, White and Gold as the flag colours. I do remember some teachers (and brownie leaders) insisting we used yellow for our drawings of flags, as it was most like gold. When some kids said it should be orange they were told they were wrong, even when they knew about the meaning the flag they were told they were wrong. I'm not sure if that was just badly educated teachers or a bit of sectarianism.

Think you might be onto something there, green White and gold certainly wasn't what Thomas Francis maher had in mind when he designed the flag, maybe the colours were changed during the Celtic tiger times to represent the peace between Ireland and gold and how we were so at peace with spending other peoples money.

Seriously the 2 things that annoy me about the tricolour at this kind of event are lads wearing them a capes and lads dragging them along the ground.... Have a bit of pride in the flag ffs. I like to see so many people getting involved, this kind of event tends to lift the spirit of the nation

gurramok wrote: »
    The flag colours were always stated as green, White and gold.

Who says Katgurl? Do you actually know our flag at all?:eek:

I believe I drew it in school a few times. Our teacher told us to use orange but call it gold. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

um, that'd be no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ireland
    The national flag of Ireland is a vertical tricolour of green (at the hoist), white, and orange. It is also known as the Irish tricolour. The flag proportion is 1:2 (length twice the width). The Irish government has described the meaning behind each colour with green representing the Gaelic tradition of Ireland, orange representing the followers of William of Orange in Ireland, and white representing peace, or a truce, between them.

The flag was adopted in 1919 by the Irish Republic during its war of independence, and subsequently by the Irish Free State (1922–1937), later being given constitutional status under the 1937 Constitution of Ireland. The tricolour is used by nationalists on both sides of the border as the national flag of the whole island of Ireland since 1916.Thus it is flown by many nationalists in Northern Ireland as well as by the Gaelic Athletic Association. It is similar to the flag of Côte d'Ivoire, but that flag is shorter and the colours are reversed.

It's very clearly always been Green, White and Orange

um, that'd be no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ireland
    The national flag of Ireland is a vertical tricolour of green (at the hoist), white, and orange. It is also known as the Irish tricolour. The flag proportion is 1:2 (length twice the width). The Irish government has described the meaning behind each colour with green representing the Gaelic tradition of Ireland, orange representing the followers of William of Orange in Ireland, and white representing peace, or a truce, between them.

The flag was adopted in 1919 by the Irish Republic during its war of independence, and subsequently by the Irish Free State (1922–1937), later being given constitutional status under the 1937 Constitution of Ireland. The tricolour is used by nationalists on both sides of the border as the national flag of the whole island of Ireland since 1916.Thus it is flown by many nationalists in Northern Ireland as well as by the Gaelic Athletic Association. It is similar to the flag of Côte d'Ivoire, but that flag is shorter and the colours are reversed.

It's very clearly always been [COLOR="PaleGreen"]Green[/COLOR], [COLOR="White"]White[/COLOR] and [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]

It still looks the same. Green, White and Gold obviously just became an expression. Again, what is the problem with describing it that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the flag was designed to show irelands claim to the six counties.....

the orange run counties...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

The worst would be if somebody was going to put up an Irish flag at their house but decided against doing so after reading this thread and realising that many would consider them working-class if they did, rather than being characteristic of the middle-class status they aspire to. I suppose that would relate to the Hyacinth Bucket thread from a few days ago. I bet those same people pretend to like rugby and care about the Leinster/Irish rugby team, only drink Heineken and modify and soften their thick accents; most people can spot these contrived affectations a mile off and the person trying to carry them off is neither appreciated nor wanted by any stratum of society. In an effort to give themselves more social freedom, they have shackled themselves into a no-mans land of constantly having the watch and modify their actions and behaviour so as not to give the game away!

• Advertisement

the flag was designed to show irelands claim to the six counties.....

the orange run counties...

that's actually shocking. So why did our teachers hammer the gold into us? Everyone one of our primary school teachers at that.

Advertisement