Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

First international tournament in 10 years, first Euros in 24 years, nothing wrong with getting behind the team.

Even the Taxi drivers are at it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Not sure i actually want to agree with OP, but he is 100% correct. Its like having giant Santa's and flashing lights on your roof at Christmas... classy it ain't (whether you've kids or not). Keep it indoors.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Kurz wrote: »
    Enthusiastically supporting the country is common as muck? Were you walking around in 1990 during the world cup annoyed at the flags and support for the national team? That must be a fairly miserable way to live your life.
    I wasn't born in 1990 :cool:

I liked it when I was a kid, I just think it's common and tacky. And I can tell you now, there's a distinct divide in my council estate between those who have bunting and all that out and those who don't.

They don't annoy me though, if people want to decorate their houses that's their business

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

i don't think its about liking football. its about getting behind your country

phasers wrote: »
    I wasn't born in 1990 :cool:

Oh god :(

I wish people would stop making me feel so fcuking old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A lot of flags the wrong way around
    Green on the left people.

If you did that in the USA and messed around with their flag the local sheriff would be around for a quiet word

mikemac1 wrote: »

Maybe they are actually from the ivory coast, did you ever think of that?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Good point

See, some of you think taximen are racist
    It's the very opposite, they love Africa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I always taught in primary school that the flag was 'green white and orange'

Where is gold coming from?? it is clearly orange, not gold :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When the flags fade in the sun the orange bit looks gold. Nobody wanted to buy new flags so everyone just went with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Orange in council estates and gold in posh areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Common? What are you Mr. Blackrock? I'd say you prefer Leinster flags hmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's interesting this one. Henry McKean was on Newstalk this morning doing a piece on the bunting etc in Ballyfermot. The place seems to be literally festooned in it, every square inch covered in green white and gold. And driving around town, the more traditionally working class areas have certainly gone all out. Whereas where I live (not Blackrock), the only bit of bunting or flags is up outside pubs etc trying to drum up a bit of business.

I don't like it though, either way. I'm not sure why. There's something about all the flags and stuff that kind of annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It is until they get into the semis. Then every cnut will have one.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Aye, I've been seeing little Irish flags on cars everywhere these days...

What's with that?!

People like having mini flags on there cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

We were taught 'green, white and gold' in school, though yes, it is definitely orange. Doesn't have the same ring to it maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Yeah I kinda think it is. It's not just Neilstown (where I think you're referring to), the whole of Clondalkin is draped in them, even my estate. Working class area's have more character and pride I think.

Blackrock and the likes will be fairly quiet compared to the rest of Dublin tomorrow. :D

Do they indeed! How's that? Civic pride? I'm curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

When you drive up towards belfast and you see the irish flags i think that creates a bad atmosphere and i dont really like it. but this is different

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

I dunno, but it is rather loserish to look at this in any negative kind of way. Go to another country and if they have their national flag up everywhere its looked as great, fair play to them having some kind of national pride. But do it here in Ireland and we have clowns trying to insult and look down their noses. Get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 33,120 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I dunno, but it is rather loserish to look at this in any negative kind of way. Go to another country and if they have their national flag up everywhere its looked as great, fair play to them having some kind of national pride. But do it here in Ireland and we have clowns trying to insult and look down their noses. Get a life

Not one to go overboard on national pride, but I can assure you there's plenty of it about in Germany. Seems not to be doign any damage.

(The bloody fireworks when that goal went in, on the other hand, nearly gave the cat a heartattack)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

You are absolutely right and I never really thought of it before. I would automatically say gold. Maybe a subliminal national dislike of the colour orange?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Common? Its called supporting your country.

Society these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Do they indeed! How's that? Civic pride? I'm curious.

I just find that an area like Clondalkin or Crumlin or areas on the northside etc, would have more 'colourful' characters and all round better atmosphere at a time like the euros IMO.

I've always noticed a much kind of quieter, reserved kinda vibe on the southside.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I just find that an area like Clondalkin or Crumlin or areas on the northside etc, would have more 'colourful' characters and all round better atmosphere at a time like the euros IMO.

I've always noticed a much kind of quieter, reserved kinda vibe on the southside.

I'm drunk, so I may be missing the sarcasm, but you know that crumlin and clondalkin are on the southside...yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Common? What are you Mr. Blackrock? I'd say you prefer Leinster flags hmm?

Whats wrong with supporting the best club rugby team in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'm drunk, so I may be missing the sarcasm, but you know that crumlin and clondalkin are on the southside...yes?

I guess by southside he meant the "posh" side... D4, Dalkey and the lot.

Crumlin and Clondalkin don't qualify I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Yeah but they're not really Southside dorling. They're schwahh

Then again it cant be that common. The queen of England flies her flag even when there's no matches on and shes ever so posh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

mikemac1 wrote: »

If you did that in the USA and messed around with their flag the local sheriff would be around for a quiet word

what if the wind changes direction? Green next to the flag pole more accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Well yeah I'm from Clondalkin.

When I say southside .. I mean the more well to do areas of Donnybrook/Rathfarnham and everything south.

Advertisement