Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 12 - Announcements, Rumours and Everything Else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

banquo wrote: »
    Apple tv SDK in September then. Normal timing I guess for the apple tv, but you'd expect a new sdk to be announced at wwdc. Hmm.

This was the longshot I was hoping for today. But never got introduced. But have to say i'm really impressed with the upgrades to both iOS and OS X. Both big and small. I'll be looking forward to getting my hands on them. New MacBooks are impressive too. Really would of liked to see an App store for the Apple TV. But yeah maybe September :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What were you expecting?

iOS 6 today or even in the next few weeks and maybe something apple tv related.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell you're negative. It's only about 3 months and if there's nothing in it for you then why are you worried or complaining about it?

Sorry sir. Didn't think it sounded like a complaint. Just stating the obvious.
    The OSX upgrade is nice but the introduction of a 2.5k laptop doesn't do much for me or most others I'd say.
    Where are you gettin 3 months from? No real mention of timeframe for iOS 6 only 'this fall'. That'll be at least October and possibly pushed out even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

iOS releases need time for developers to get ready ffs. No need to be so impatient. It'll arrive soon enough. If you're dying for it you can download the beta... although i wouldnt recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

kaizersoze wrote: »
    What were you expecting?

iOS 6 today or even in the next few weeks and maybe something apple tv related.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell you're negative. It's only about 3 months and if there's nothing in it for you then why are you worried or complaining about it?

Sorry sir. Didn't think it sounded like a complaint. Just stating the obvious.
    The OSX upgrade is nice but the introduction of a 2.5k laptop doesn't do much for me or most others I'd say.
    Where are you gettin 3 months from? No real mention of timeframe for iOS 6 only 'this fall'. That'll be at least October and possibly pushed out even more.

Why pushed out more, last year iOS 5 was released on Oct 12th. iOS 6 has less fiddly bits, like iCloud so I expect it sooner.

miralize wrote: »
    iOS releases need time for developers to get ready ffs. No need to be so impatient. It'll arrive soon enough. If you're dying for it you can download the beta... although i wouldnt recommend it

I tend to download the beta to my iPad, which, if bricked would no be as big a deal as a bricked phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iOS 6 will be released at the same time as the iPhone 5. So definitely not any later than October.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

there are hints in the api - with regard to how UI is laid out.

O rly? Do go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

for those bitching about the wait for ios 6, apple are again just taking the best features jailbreakers all ready have, you can haz them now ! obviously wont be as polished as apple's take when they come out, but some good tweaks there :)

http://lifehacker.com/5917490/how-to-get-the-best-features-of-ios-6-right-now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

OK so I missed the keynote speech yesterday. I have tried iTunes for it but its not there yet. Anywhere else I can watch again ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OK so I missed the keynote speech yesterday. I have tried iTunes for it but its not there yet. Anywhere else I can watch again ??

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2012/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

miralize wrote: »
    I realise that ffs:p. My point was, there was nothing yesterday except a pricey laptop and an update thats at least 4 months away. They may as well have announced the new iPhone and be done with it.:)
    Why pushed out more, last year iOS 5 was released on Oct 12th. iOS 6 has less fiddly bits, like iCloud so I expect it sooner.
    Because it's release will coincide with the new iPhone and god knows what might delay that.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I realise that ffs:p. My point was, there was nothing yesterday except a pricey laptop and an update thats at least 4 months away. They may as well have announced the new iPhone and be done with it.:)

But you don't seem to realise that yesterday's meet was a dev conference, not a Release Event conference like the first iPod event. So you cant expect a release of the OS, it needs to get dev working on it. They need dev feedback on bugs etc. Thats been the way for years - prior to the iPhone it was the OS X, although OS X tended to have a longer cycle.
    Because it's release will coincide with the new iPhone and god knows what might delay that.

It doesn't have to - that has just historically been the case. If the iPhone is delayed until next year they won't delay the release of the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

there are hints in the api - with regard to how UI is laid out.

No huge smoking gun, but they have added constraints to the UI. This is in OS X for a long time and is a way of not hardcoding a UI element to the screen, but to other UI elements. So a button can stay the same distance from another button as a window resizes, only useful if things move about a lot.

I just noticed on the Apple site that there will be an option in iOS 6 to go to fullscreen in Safari while in landscape mode. This is very interesting as one of the disadvantages of a 16:9 iPhone is that websites would be less visible in landscape mode.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nice list of a few smaller ios6 features.
    http://gizmodo.com/5917762/the-best-ios-6-features-nobody-is-talking-about

At last a custom dictionary, and cloud based too so will work for all your apply devices.
    This and the custom sigs per account, phone reject options and do not disturbs are all nice new things.

I'd still like to see more custom controls on push and fetch email settings around business hours v out of hours, but possibly can adapt the do not disturb and white list settings to do something similar.

Anyone found a high res pic of the big graphics from keynote with the list of all the new features in a cloud?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

You are able to do that in iOS6. And you've always been able to access the Photostream from iOS?

Looks like we can wave goodbye to anything approaching a consistent UI in iOS 6. I've been looking at the screenshots and the UI changes are very inconsistent. Apple may improve things before release, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Their software always starts out looking beautiful and consistent and then then takes a massive jump off a cliff. It was the same with Mac OS X, which had a very consistent Aqua UI until 10.3 when Apple introduced brushed metal in a few places and the UI never recovered. It's amazing the incredible level of design detail Apple's hardware has and yet they seemingly can't do the same for their software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's amazing the incredible level of design detail Apple's hardware has and yet they seemingly can't do the same for their software.

Found Ive's reaction to this in a recent Telegraph interview fairly interesting...

That simplicity in the hardware has not always been matched in the software, which since the rise of iOS - the operating system for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch - has been marked by something known as skeuomorphism, a tendency for new designs to retain ornamental features of the old design. Thus the calendar in Apple's Macs and on iOS has fake leather texture and even fake stitching.

When I mention the fake stitching, Ive offers a wince but it's a gesture of sympathy rather than a suggestion that he dislikes such things. At least, that's how I read it. He refuses to be drawn on the matter, offering a diplomatic reply: "My focus is very much working with the other teams on the product ideas and then developing the hardware and so that's our focus and that's our responsibility. In terms of those elements you're talking about, I'm not really connected to that."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yeah, iOS 6 is starting to look like a very ugly patchwork quilte. :(

Found Ive's reaction to this in a recent Telegraph interview fairly interesting...

That simplicity in the hardware has not always been matched in the software, which since the rise of iOS - the operating system for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch - has been marked by something known as skeuomorphism, a tendency for new designs to retain ornamental features of the old design. Thus the calendar in Apple's Macs and on iOS has fake leather texture and even fake stitching.

When I mention the fake stitching, Ive offers a wince but it's a gesture of sympathy rather than a suggestion that he dislikes such things. At least, that's how I read it. He refuses to be drawn on the matter, offering a diplomatic reply: "My focus is very much working with the other teams on the product ideas and then developing the hardware and so that's our focus and that's our responsibility. In terms of those elements you're talking about, I'm not really connected to that."

Yes, but.... as long as he system apps are the same, and look similar, a maps app, or a calendar app can do what they want. After all 3rd party apps will do that.

Calendar/iCal is a system app, not a third party app.

The iOS 5 Music app for iPad looks almost as bad as it is to use. I was hoping Apple would change it for iOS 6, but instead they are giving the iPhone version the same treatment as well.

Anyone using iOS 6 beta? How is it running on the iPad and iPhone. Any glitches, problems you've experienced?

Same with the latest beta of Mountain Lion that was released yesterday. I'm guessing it's basically working like it should since it's the last version before the GM seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

iPhone 4 not getting turn by turn navigation or face-time over 3g

There's gonna be a whole load of pissed off iPhone 4 customers

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/new-features-in-ios-6-receive-spotty-support-from-older-devices/

I've a 4s and the new ipad so it doesn't affect me but that's pissed me off! there's no reason why the 4 shouldn't get turn by turn navigation or facetime over 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

DubDJ wrote: »
    Anyone using iOS 6 beta? How is it running on the iPad and iPhone. Any glitches, problems you've experienced?

Same with the latest beta of Mountain Lion that was released yesterday. I'm guessing it's basically working like it should since it's the last version before the GM seed.

I'm using the ios6 beta since release and not noticed a single problem/glitch yet.

It looks a lot fresher and I've not noticed any slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

crazyderk wrote: »
    iPhone 4 not getting turn by turn navigation or face-time over 3g

There's gonna be a whole load of pissed off iPhone 4 customers

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/new-features-in-ios-6-receive-spotty-support-from-older-devices/

I've a 4s and the new ipad so it doesn't affect me but that's pissed me off! there's no reason why the 4 shouldn't get turn by turn navigation or facetime over 3g

My wife and I both have the iPhone 4. We couldn't give a rats about turn by turn navigation that can't be used offline.

3G reception out side major towns isnt exactly reliable.

Besides we already have a dedicated offline navigation app on our phone.

boreder wrote: »
    I'm using the ios6 beta since release and not noticed a single problem/glitch yet.

It looks a lot fresher and I've not noticed any slow down.

Glad to hear it. I remember I tried iOS 5 beta and eventually had to downgrade. I don't think there are as many big features packed into this version so probably makes it a lot more stable for testing. Hoping it's gonna be smoother in the iPhone. The iPad has never been a problem but my iPhone is a tiny bit laggy. I'll be getting the next gen iPhone so I'm hoping iOS 6 will work brilliantly on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement