Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 12 - Announcements, Rumours and Everything Else

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Calendar/iCal is a system app, not a third party app.

The iOS 5 Music app for iPad looks almost as bad as it is to use. I was hoping Apple would change it for iOS 6, but instead they are giving the iPhone version the same treatment as well.

I never understood why they changed the music app on the iPad. The original version was far superior.

As for consistency, that's something you have to commend Microsoft for in WP7. Every system app is as consistent as can be.

EDIT: Although i think pure ICS is pretty consistent too (i don't want to be taken as a fan boy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

boreder wrote: »
    I'm using the ios6 beta since release and not noticed a single problem/glitch yet.

It looks a lot fresher and I've not noticed any slow down.

I found Quite a few. It was not as smooth. Auto brightness had a mind of its own. So turned it off. Music app was quite buggy. Hit the sleep button and music stopped.

Overall it ok. But I downgraded as I'm off to Poland. And need a stable phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm using ios6 too.

* Some lag on Music.app
    * Cant access the irish app store at all
    * Sparrow Mail has a weird width bug
    * The phone keeps turning of iTunes in the Cloud for me, forcing me to redownload music

Everything else is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I am using iOS 6, on an iPad.

Seems faster, and I don't think this is placebo.
    Siri works, but I don't really care. Cant look for restaurants in Ireland. Hopefully that will come and make siri useful. Still though, if typing is faster, I will type.
    Maps is at the moment, a regression. Obviously they can't have street view unless they send cars all over the world like Google. The info is much more limited than google maps, but I imagine that is a matter of getting more info from Yelp which does have a lot of data - and that will help siri too. I cant see the flyover option, and the 3D stuff works in and around San Francisco but not so much elsewhere. However this data is out there, and they have it so I look for it to come online over the next fee months. More worrying is that the map looks, well worse, that google maps in its standard view. It is barely populated, and the colour scheme seems odd, everything blends into everything else, lots of missing buildings.

Very stable, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I am using iOS 6, on an iPad.

Seems faster, and I don't think this is placebo.
    Siri works, but I don't really care. Cant look for restaurants in Ireland. Hopefully that will come and make siri useful. Still though, if typing is faster, I will type.
    Maps is at the moment, a regression. Obviously they can't have street view unless they send cars all over the world like Google. The info is much more limited than google maps, but I imagine that is a matter of getting more info from Yelp which does have a lot of data - and that will help siri too. I cant see the flyover option, and the 3D stuff works in and around San Francisco but not so much elsewhere. However this data is out there, and they have it so I look for it to come online over the next fee months. More worrying is that the map looks, well worse, that google maps in its standard view. It is barely populated, and the colour scheme seems odd, everything blends into everything else, lots of missing buildings.

Very stable, though.

Thanks, you've covered a good few of my questions. I was worried about how the maps app works in Ireland. All I can hope is that Google get a maps app out for iOS. I knew they wouldn't have any features for Ireland. The loss of street view is a negative from the start. The fact that were just stuck with 2D maps with no info in Ireland is ****. And no even 3D flyover.

I was wondering whether Siri would get any better in Ireland in regards to info but obviously not. But still the extra features and being able to launch apps is a plus. Hope they put effort into the maps and add more content for smaller countries like ourselves.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    Thanks, you've covered a good few of my questions. I was worried about how the maps app works in Ireland. All I can hope is that Google get a maps app out for iOS. I knew they wouldn't have any features for Ireland. The loss of street view is a negative from the start. The fact that were just stuck with 2D maps with no info in Ireland is ****. And no even 3D flyover.

I was wondering whether Siri would get any better in Ireland in regards to info but obviously not. But still the extra features and being able to launch apps is a plus. Hope they put effort into the maps and add more content for smaller countries like ourselves.

They cant really - I hope - not roll this out to all countries where google maps works with street view - which 3D is replacing. Apple needs to use those billions in the banks to get this information. At least get major cities.

on the plus side where it works it looks great. I flew over Chicago yesterday. Also it does have 3D mountains in ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The iOS 5 google maps app doesn't do street view on my iPhone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

silvine wrote: »
    Works fine on mine:

photo_14.png

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

silvine wrote: »

Worked fine on mine too, you have to drop a pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm hoping the maps improve myself. For me, not having SteetView integrated is a step backward. As I see it, 3D flyover is fun but StreetView is useful. They really have to make a Google effort and do their own street view as well. There is a lot to be said for looking at a locality on StreetView before you go there, just to recognise landmarks etc.

I'm not mad about the new Airport Express either. It seems like a lazy design (let's just cram the stuff into an ATV-like case and paint it white). The last express was nice in that it would plug directly in without cables. That's not there anymore.

I was initially excited about the retina MacBook but not so much now. Having to future proof/spec a pro machine at purchase isn't on. There's also nothing to say that 3-4 years down the line the chipset wouldn't happilly support 32Gb ram, or at least 24 and that'd be a bummer for customers looking to prolong their machine's life. Good luck to you if it drops after 3 years and the screen goes bang. They need to pay more attention to their Pro community. They'll still have them long after the fickle phone and tablet crowd have bailed.

The new smart case is looking pretty bad too. Steve isn't dead a year and they're already starting to let the side down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

seamus wrote: »
    Works fine on mine:

photo_14.png

*Looks outside the office*

Seems legit :pac:

I agree that street view is great, and not just a gimmick. Looking for a hotel in Paris, it saved me loads of time. I could walk to the area from the metro, and recognise the otherwise nondescript hotel, without looking at a map.

But...it won't be in the new maps unless they licence it from Google. Thinking about street view it's a crazy idea - would've loved to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting - My idea is cars continuously circumnavigating the globe. Ireland has massive coverage, there are lanes close to where I was born in rural Ireland where I have never been, which are covered by Google. For this release Apple don't really have the time to do it. Will they get a licence, I doubt it.

The war with google has to be played sensibly I think, unless the 3D map comes on in leaps and bounds it is not a replacement for street view.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

But...it won't be in the new maps unless they licence it from Google. Thinking about street view it's a crazy idea - would've loved to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting - My idea is cars continuously circumnavigating the globe. Ireland has massive coverage, there are lanes close to where I was born in rural Ireland where I have never been, which are covered by Google. For this release Apple don't really have the time to do it. Will they get a licence, I doubt it.

Started off as one employees 20% projects (every google worker is encouraged to use 20% of their on clock time for their own projects. He just walked around taking pictures of the office and where he lived and put them into maps. Then it grew O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Honestly gotta say I don't see the use of street view. Anytime I've tried using it its been frustratingly slow and clunky. I don't really have problems finding places - its still easier than it was with paper maps not so long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 highflying eagle

Hi I have an Iphone 4 I'm just wondering is turn by turn navigation from apple maps in IOS6 functional in Ireland???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi I have an Iphone 4 I'm just wondering is turn by turn navigation from apple maps in IOS6 functional in Ireland???

On the same page as your post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79177513&postcount=241

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes, but not on the iPhone 4.

Advertisement