Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 12 - Announcements, Rumours and Everything Else

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I don't think anyone really expects the 4s announcement at the WWDC.

But to be honest with you - if the stretch mockups of a 4" iphone 5 are accurate - I do think they might be losing it. The aspect ratio will be all wrong. People won't like it in comparison to android models. Of course it will sell, iphone always will - but it will sell less.

The 4s is still available, of course. For a lot of apps the aspect ratio doesn't matter i.e. list views - you just get a longer list. Unless people have hard coded pixels it may not matter at all. I bet however a lot of apps running on the 5 will run as normal, and the top space on top could be used to show some notification center, or widget. If the app has updated you can close this, if not not.

Anyways, Apple can say in their new iOS 6 - if it runs on TVs - that coders should stop hardcoding the position of their ui elements in future and update the API to help. Without giving too much away, that wold be an indication that a phone update is imminent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

But to be honest with you - if the stretch mockups of a 4" iphone 5 are accurate - I do think they might be losing it. The aspect ratio will be all wrong. People won't like it in comparison to android models.

Why? Most Android phones are 16:9 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Why? Most Android phones are 16:9 as well.

Yes - most android phones with that aspect ratio are 4.3 inch screens and bigger - in absolute terms they are still wider. The smaller screen ones are are more like 4:3 to maintain the width

I also think its a mistake keeping the very large bezels. It will be physically as long as a S3 or One X/S - but with a noticeably smaller screen. If they had made the 4" screen and reduced the bezels keeping the overall length smaller I'd be less skeptical.

Anyhow - plenty of people not happy about it on macrumours.com so don't take my word for it

I also wonder aobut app compatability. Developers must be less than pleased

We don't know the size of the bezels, do we? We've only seen the back?

We don't know the size of the bezels, do we? We've only seen the back?

I thought they had leaked parts with the bezels ? Anyhow even the back - if you know its size and knowing its a 4 inch screen you could compute the bezel size which the renderers presumably did

Weird story on macrumours now about new line of macbooks:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/apple-to-introduce-third-macbook-line-with-retina-display-at-wwdc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

A rumour today that Apple will be releasing an SDK for the Apple TV just like we were talking about. And as one of the others said there's a lot of unannounced sessions for the week. I reckon this could be a little surprise for developers. I think we'll soon have third party apps for the ATV. :D

There wasn't any doubt but just thought I'd post and say its confirmed that iOS 6 will be announced and be the main focus of WWDC. The banners have just went up in the Moscone Centre. Photos here.

Also 9to5Mac just posted this lengthy article summing up everything to be expected at WWDC '12. It's basically everything I have at the start of this thread but in depth. However they also said theres a possibility of a new Apple app called Organise but they aren't sure whether or not this is definitely being announced.

That 9to5mac story makes the WWDC seem dull. Doesn't explain the TBA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The TBAs are the AppleTV SDK.

That 9to5mac story makes the WWDC seem dull. Doesn't explain the TBA

I only think they post stories about stuff that they have inside info on. There very good at getting info on stuff before they're even released. They won't usually post unconfirmed stuff. I realise it's a rumour site but I think they do have documents and details to back up most of their stuff. They won't post stories unless they have some sort of a hint at it. Which is probably why they won't speculate on the TBA.

• Advertisement

Hopefully :D

I hope so. I was first to bring up that theory here. However 9-5 said that was unlikely, which leaves them unexplained again. And it's a fairly trustworthy site.

Apple - it's like Kremlinology.

It would be funny if all they announced was a few minor tweaks to iOS 5 and labelled it iOS 6. And the rest was bull****. Well not soo funny as sad for some. For me all I'm interested in here is software updates. Hopefully my iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Apple TV will be getting some great new software improvements. Think it's why I'm so looking forward to it. Either way I won't be let down because I'll be getting iOS 6 and Mountain Lion at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm dreading what Mountain Lion will have in store to be honest.

Firstly, why are they so determined to put notifications everywhere? One I thing I love about the Mac (and Ubuntu to a lesser degree) is that I'm not bombarded with constant prattle from the system tray. While notifications are a great tool in iOS, I'd prefer them to be kept out of the Mac.

The main thing I'm worried about is how long will Apple keep the UNIX bits of the Mac accessible. With the direction they are going, will MATLAB, Python, LaTeX et al. be able to run at all in a few iterations? I do computational research, and I will have to find another platform if I can't run the software I want without restriction. I don't think this is going to arrive in Mountain Lion, or whatever immediately follows it. But the UNIX selling points of the Mac are already becoming less visible in marketing material. Apple has also stopped actively publicising certain other power user features like GP-GPU support, XGrid.

I'm also not a fan of the butchering of the filesystem model that Apple are now pushing. It makes sense to a degree in iOS, but the idea that documents are grouped by App rather than by project is unacceptable to anyone doing real work. Case in point, I use python scripting to print attendance lists from an OO.org spreadsheet, and I use VBA to a similar job in another project. Don't get me started on "Versions" - that is the most idiotically implemented "feature" I have seen in a while. Again, makes sense as a paradigm on an iPhone, but does not belong on a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I would absolutley LOVE to be able to split screen my ipad and for example watch a stream on one half of the screen & maybe browse emails or twitter on the other half of the screen, PROPER multitasking imo. Likely to be a feature of future iOS versions & devices? Would it work?

barryd09 wrote: »
    I would absolutley LOVE to be able to split screen my ipad and for example watch a stream on one half of the screen & maybe browse emails or twitter on the other half of the screen, PROPER multitasking imo. Likely to be a feature of future iOS versions & devices? Would it work?

Would love that too but can't see it happening

A Chinese forum has found the Developer links to Beta's for iOS 6. Links are expired so it can't be downloaded yet but i'm guessing it'll be available in 24 hours.

On another note the post says that the original iPad (first gen) won't be supported in iOS 6. Neither will the iPod Touch 3rd gen and lower. However it seems the 3GS will still get the update, which i'm surprised by. I thought the phone would be discontinued in September and be skipped for iOS 6. Bad news for iPad 1 owners, good news for 3GS owners.

It makes sense to not support the iPad 1st gen as it is no longer on sale. The 3GS will be Apples cheap phone into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It makes sense to not support the iPad 1st gen as it is no longer on sale. The 3GS will be Apples cheap phone into the future.

I'd say more to do with the iPad 1s capabilities rather than anything else. It always felt under powered even at launch.

Same chip Afaik

The lack of memory is the biggest problem with the iPad 1. It took a major performance hit under iOS 5. I hadn't planned to upgrade so soon, but I ended up selling my iPad 1 and getting a 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

I'm expecting the following:

imore
    ifaster
    ibigger
    ilonger
    iwider
    ibetter

If I get all that, I won't be disappointed!!!!!

nulabert wrote: »
    I'm expecting the following:

imore
    ifaster
    ibigger
    ilonger
    iwider
    ibetter

If I get all that, I won't be disappointed!!!!!

Are we still talking about WWDC? :P

And the Apple Store is down!
    cover-card-eng.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

DubDJ wrote: »

cover-card-eng.png

I just been to apple.com and its not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

leemaree wrote: »
    I just been to apple.com and its not
    DubDJ wrote:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Try to purchase something and you'll see it :)

• Advertisement

Yup can confirm the .ie store is down

....they are doing.......s.o.m.e.t.h.i.n.g........

Advertisement