Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope it's all there. As Joey said
    he only wanted to be rid of Luca Blight but realised after a while that the world is a lot more complicated than that. Luca also says that even if he dies you're still left with a Highland reeling from defeat and baying for blood. In real life things are a lot more complex than just removing the big bad and everything is back to normal.

Jowy and the MC just represented two different conflicting ways of ending the war.

I think you are Jack Reaching there tbh.

Anyway, I won't argue about it too much! Looked up the other endings but they look even more a cop-out than FFX-2's!

Getting from those few words of text about the world being complicated to where you were a few posts ago is a massive stretch for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it's all there, he might have started with those good intentions but after he becomes king he gets himself a bit of a god complex and it's why he believes he (probably rightly) deserves to die.bits all there in the peace treaty and ending scene.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any of ye play Type 0 Yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not out til Friday. Square seem to be making a Zone of the Enders with this one. Full price for a remake of a 2011 game selling on the strength of a demo :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ZOE had the excuse of being pre digital distribution and not a port of a PSP game :pac:

The demo inclusion is both an extremely cynical and extremely smart move from Square Enix: business wise it makes absolute sense. Full price is a bit cheeky though, given the bar has been set by much more generous yet cheaper HD remakes - even if the game hasn't been released in English yet.

• Advertisement

I can complain all I want but at the end of the day it's a small miracle it's getting an english translation, I do want to play the game and the ff15 demo is intriguing. Damn you Square but you'll have at least 1 sake this Friday!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I can complain all I want but at the end of the day it's a small miracle it's getting an english translation, I do want to play the game and the ff15 demo is intriguing. Damn you Square but you'll have at least 1 sake this Friday!

Same here and bloodborne the following week xD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Aye I was swithering whether to buy it. But got a decent amount for a few games traded in so will be picking it up tomorrow. Battle system looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Xenji wrote: »
    Been doing a lot of travelling in the last week and brought Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters with me, I must say I was very surprised how good it ended up being, the art style is beautiful and it actually has a good story, the battle mechanics were quite confusing at the beginning but once you figure them out, they are very rewarding.
    Good to hear, haven't heard much about it on release and thought it must have ended up being a bit dodgy.

Been doing a lot of travelling in the last week and brought Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters with me, I must say I was very surprised how good it ended up being, the art style is beautiful and it actually has a good story, the battle mechanics were quite confusing at the beginning but once you figure them out, they are very rewarding.

Good to hear, I'll pick it up eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Watched the trailer on Type 0 and it just looks like an irritating mess with some of the worst JRPG tropes and certainly nothing I'd ever want to play.

So who wants to give me their FFXV demo?

Ah it looks like it's full of anime tropes but who plays FF for story anyway? The battle system is meant to be great fun and very challenging.

Making serious Suikoden 1 progress.

Easiest game I have played in years.

Everything jars after playing the sequel first of course but just trying to get it over with for the backstory. I've just taken panna Castle.

It's a poor game in truth. Characters are even more blank slates than they are in Suikoden 2, character motivations are non-existent, why is the Empire evil? Why am I the man to lead? It's funny to think we argued about the Jowy angle yesterday but that was breaking bad compared to this.

Neither game touches FF7 (not even convinced the first one is a good game). I'd say the nostalgia is as strong, if not stronger, with the series than FF7.

How did the sequels fair? I'll have to play something with more character depth next.

Suikoden 1 is a fun game but it's nothing really special. It's really short as well, probably only Panzer Dragoon Saga is shorter.

I feel Suikoden 2 is the far better game than FF7, no nostalgia there since I played them around the same time.

Neither excels when it comes to battle system. Both are incredibly simplistic and while FF7 has a bit more depth it's dragged down by unfortunate load times and annoying rather than challenging enemies.

In terms of story I found Suikoden 2 to have the more mature and relatable. Whatever way you want to sugar coat it FF7 is a mess, a crazy fun one interspersed with some good scenes but the game is really all over the place (although that does make it kind of intriguing). It's got a hackneyed environmental message with bits robbed from evangelion, a sprinkling of neuromancer and then a blatant retread of Chrono Trigger. Thought the characters were a lot better as well and I really don't think you are giving Jowy enough credit or something.

As for the rest of Suikoden, 3 starts off great but you can tell where the creative mind behind the series left when it kind ends on a really disappointing note after the great build up. 4 is just really bad. The story is poor and the combat system is a mix of everything wrong with Suikoden and ff7. You have suikodens simplicity mixed with ffvii's load times and an insane encounter rate. Suikoden 5 is a return to form with a very good storyline almost up there with Suikoden 2, although it tries so desperately to be as good it feels a bit desperate at times. Load times for battles however are extremely long and you'd really want to be playing on a hacked PS2 with a hard disk Thor them not to drive you insane.

Not played much of Tierkreis but it's in a brand new universe and not linked to the others. The stand out thing I brought away from it was the laughably bad dub.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Suikoden 5 is the only one i've played, and i remember loving it. Had no idea you needing to recruit a certain number of followers to get the good endings though, which kind of annoyed me after finishing it.

Not a certain number, all of them :)

The difference between the good and bad end in that game is minimal. One of that characters either ends up dead or alive is all that changes really.

I really enjoyed Suikoden 5 but it just couldn't come close to Suikoden 2.

Suikoden 1 is a fun game but it's nothing really special. It's really short as well, probably only Panzer Dragoon Saga is shorter.

I feel Suikoden 2 is the far better game than FF7, no nostalgia there since I played them around the same time.

Neither excels when it comes to battle system. Both are incredibly simplistic and while FF7 has a bit more depth it's dragged down by unfortunate load times and annoying rather than challenging enemies.

In terms of story I found Suikoden 2 to have the more mature and relatable. Whatever way you want to sugar coat it FF7 is a mess, a crazy fun one interspersed with some good scenes but the game is really all over the place (although that does make it kind of intriguing). It's got a hackneyed environmental message with bits robbed from evangelion, a sprinkling of neuromancer and then a blatant retread of Chrono Trigger. Thought the characters were a lot better as well and I really don't think you are giving Jowy enough credit or something.

As for the rest of Suikoden, 3 starts off great but you can tell where the creative mind behind the series left when it kind ends on a really disappointing note after the great build up. 4 is just really bad. The story is poor and the combat system is a mix of everything wrong with Suikoden and ff7. You have suikodens simplicity mixed with ffvii's load times and an insane encounter rate. Suikoden 5 is a return to form with a very good storyline almost up there with Suikoden 2, although it tries so desperately to be as good it feels a bit desperate at times. Load times for battles however are extremely long and you'd really want to be playing on a hacked PS2 with a hard disk Thor them not to drive you insane.

Not played much of Tierkreis but it's in a brand new universe and not linked to the others. The stand out thing I brought away from it was the laughably bad dub.

You do say often that FF7's story is ripped from various sources but there isn't anything original about Suikoden 2, fairly simple war story. None of the towns are fleshed out like Within, Midgar, Cosmo Canyon etc. Actually none of them.

Characters have no depth or sidestories. I can't deny the story is more straightforward overall but I'd have to prefer the various arcs in FF7.

There's also feck all point to collecting characters bar the cop out ending. No real side quests or decent back story.

I enjoyed it now, deffo glad I played it but it really felt like a sideshow compared to FF7 or FF9 (which it's more like).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Had a quick go at the FF XV demo there after it downloaded, won't have time to play it properly until tomorrow. Only did the control / combat basics and had a wander around.

Not sure what to make of the combat to be honest from the tutorial, it's seems more free and flowing in ways or gives the illusion of it than other FF games maybe a similar battle system has been used in other games I haven't played. I kept going into stasis (can't attack) very quickly in the 1v1 tutorial fight. I'll follow the quest I was given when I get back to it and that should lead to a more substantial battle and likely a tutorial involving the full party .

noodler wrote: »
    You do say often that FF7's story is ripped from various sources but there isn't anything original about Suikoden 2, fairly simple war story. None of the towns are fleshed out like Within, Midgar, Cosmo Canyon etc. Actually none of them.

Characters have no depth or sidestories. I can't deny the story is more straightforward overall but I'd have to prefer the various arcs in FF7.

There's also feck all point to collecting characters bar the cop out ending. No real side quests or decent back story.

I enjoyed it now, deffo glad I played it but it really felt like a sideshow compared to FF7 or FF9 (which it's more like).

It's a simple war story but one I thought was told very well. It actually does crib from a lot of sources, a few of the battles are based on actual historical battles and the story is very similar to the Water Margin, one of the famous Chinese novels, much more so than even the first game. Jowy in particular is very similar to that work's most famous character. I felt it added authenticity to the plot rather than the outlandish stuff seen in the FF games.

From going through FFVII recently and yes each town has a side story but they are kind of crappy and follow standard JRPG tropes, well crappy plotwise but can't say they aren't fun. You might say that Suikoden is a standard war story but really no other RPG does the war story as good as Suikoden 2 imo or quite like it so it's original in that regard with the only exception being Tactics Ogre or Valkyria Chronicles. I felt FFVII's hodge podge of ideas meant the world and story lacked any coherency and while Suikoden 2 is more simplistic in terms of it's world something like FFX while being just as outlandish but with a very coherent story structure and world.

I thought the main characters were fleshed out but anything outside of that definitely wasn't fleshed out but then there were 108 of them. The lack of side quests is fair enough but not really something I missed. Would be nice to have some end game exploration but at least it didn't have chocobo breeding!

FF9 did seem to be going in that direction in the first disc but kind of became it's own thing after than, I felt it was closer to something like FF4 (which I loved it for). In terms of tone and story Tactics Ogre would be the closest for me but then that game gets way darker especially when it gets into ethnic cleansing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

FF4 deserves far more love then it gets, same with 3&5, I found 9 far more enjoyable than 7&8.

• Advertisement

7 and 9 are my favourites.

Love FF4 as well. Very simple story but so well paced. Apparently the quick pace of the game is because they had to cut so much out of the game.

The best FF games for me are FF4, FF5, FF6 and FF9. FF5's job system is one of the best battle systems in RPGs, I'd probably include FF Tactics as well because it uses the Job system as well.

Playing FFVII at the moment and while it's still a fun game in retrospect it's not the most amazing game ever and not even close to the best FF let alone challenging JRPG's finest.
    same with 3&5

When you say 3 do you mean 6 because I thought FF3 (JAP) was by far the worst other than FF2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

7 and 9 are my favourites.

Oh 9 will always have a spot in my 'desert island discs' . I know theres loads who will say it's got x y z wrong and the other is better but la la la la la la not listening :D

calex71 wrote: »
    Oh 9 will always have a spot in my 'desert island discs' . I know theres loads who will say it's got x y z wrong and the other is better but la la la la la la not listening :D

Tbh I only started to like it towards the end of disc one and freya is one of my Favourite characters , I love her :o

FF9 has a lot of flaws but it's so damn fun and that at the end of the day is what all games should be about. It's like FF4, who cares if the story is so hackneyed and cliched when you're having so much fun playing.

Stopped playing FF4 on psp in 2011.

Got to some sort of underground world!

Must go back to it.

It would be a relative feast for the eyes after Suikoden (1 anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Love FF4 as well. Very simple story but so well paced. Apparently the quick pace of the game is because they had to cut so much out of the game.

The best FF games for me are FF4, FF5, FF6 and FF9. FF5's job system is one of the best battle systems in RPGs, I'd probably include FF Tactics as well because it uses the Job system as well.

Playing FFVII at the moment and while it's still a fun game in retrospect it's not the most amazing game ever and not even close to the best FF let alone challenging JRPG's finest.

When you say 3 do you mean 6 because I thought FF3 (JAP) was by far the worst other than FF2.

FF3 from 1990, it was the job system that made it for me, it was the first FF game I played, so maybe I saw it through rose tinted glasses.

noodler wrote: »
    Stopped playing FF4 on psp in 2011.

Got to some sort of underground world!

Must go back to it.

It would be a relative feast for the eyes after Suikoden (1 anyway).

It's fun and you should fly through it, the underground is a good bit into it.

I remember Suikoden 1 has some pretty ugly in game art :) The story is that it was meant to be a SNES game that they ported to the PS1 to get in as an early RPG on the system.
    FF3 from 1990, it was the job system that made it for me, it was the first FF game I played, so maybe I saw it through rose tinted glasses.

I only played it fully as the DS remake and just did not like it. The Job system was a really poor in it but was the seeds for the amazing system from FFV. Old jobs became totally obsolete once the new ones arrived and you couldn't mix and match job abilities which is what made the FFV system so good.

The Famicom/NES version is a lot better than the DS remake but it's still not that great.

Well got Type-0. Looks like I finally have a reason to turn on my PS4 since I bought the damn thing.

• Advertisement

Well got Type-0. Looks like I finally have a reason to turn on my PS4 since I bought the damn thing.

Reviews aren't great so I'd say you'll love it.

Advertisement