Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

penev10 wrote: »
    4 stages into Natural Doctrine and I really like it. The initiative / chaining moves system works really well when you get the hang of it. There was a lot made of the difficulty but I'm finding it no tougher than a Fire Emblem game on Hard (I'm playing it on Normal but there's an Easy mode that can be switched to at any stage). Expect to replay almost every mission but surely with SRPGS that's par for the course.

The dialogue / translation is horrible by modern standards but there is the, now de rigueur, option for Japanese voice acting which helps.

It gets even easier once you get a few more characters through the story, really sad that people gave up on it so fast

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got it for a tenner so will play it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Sieghardt wrote: »
    It gets even easier once you get a few more characters through the story, really sad that people gave up on it so fast

Reading this you'd think it was a painful experience full of crushingly hard AI and nastily designed levels. I'm on the 7th stage now and bar one tricky escape from a mine it's been grand.

Anyone who enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles or XCOM should give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have it as well, still unopened in its box, one day I will get around to playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

suikoden 1 and 2 on the irish psn for 4.99 each. grabbed em both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Loved grandia 2,Would love if it got a ps4 release too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dragon Quest 8 is coming to the 3DS in Japan in August, hopefully we will see a localization, although I would not hold my breath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenji wrote: »
    Dragon Quest 8 is coming to the 3DS in Japan in August, hopefully we will see a localization, although I would not hold my breath.

I'd much rather DQ7 and the 2 Dragon Quest Monster's remakes :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seems like some good reviews for the new X game anyway. Though theres mention of lots of very long cutscenes, which isn't ideal. It's pretty much what will make me buy the WiiU.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    It's pretty much what will make me buy the WiiU.

Same here and the zelda game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Xenji wrote: »

When it comes to ports I hate 3DS games. The rez is just too low for games not design for it in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't mind the resolution on the normal 3DS but the XL screen is horrible with fist sized pixels.

As for people not buying a WiiU yet, there's loads of great games on it already, it's well worth the plunge and a far better investment so far for me than the useless Bloodbourne playing machine I have (although I do have a gaming PC for mutliformat and indie).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally finished Persona Q. I liked it a lot, although possibly could have benefited from being a dungeon shorter. The standard encounters became trivially easy once Naoto unlocked Mamudoom and Mahamaon early on, with most battles finished during the first turn. That lasted for I reckon half the game or more (my final time was 60 hours, so a good chunk of time), so encounters were a mere annoyance while trying to solve the puzzles or explore the maps. Particularly annoying during the fourth set of labyrinths which had convoluted layouts and a higher encounter rate.

It found a renewed sense of purpose (even narrative) during the fifth dungeon, which was good at least. Still, a handful of FOEs aside, the battle system didn't always have a lot of time to shine - more boss battles with a twist like the last two would have been nice (they were still pretty easy; I did have to retry the final one after been a bit overly liberal on the SP restore items during the second to last fight).

Still, a fine game, even if it will be a while before I find myself motivated to tackle another Etrian Odyssey game ;)

Sounds like Etrian Odyssey is a much better balanced game. In EO I'm always wishing I had that next ability to make the battles easier and then when I get that ability I'm hoping to get the next one. I'm taking a long break myself before I dive back into another EO game!

What doesn't sound intriguing is Square Enix announcing they are focusing resources on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What doesn't sound intriguing is Square Enix announcing they are focusing resources on mobile.

Konami recently came out saying the same and Capcoms a mess too.

It's a shame to see the demise/change of these companies.

There's a lot of talk at the minute of spirtual successor type games through kickstarter becoming the new big thing after the original lads from rare gave it a shot recently and were blown away with backing.

Maybe metal gear or silent hill next?

To be fair Square have done some horrible stuff on mobile but other things they have done like Chaos Rings and FF Dimensions have been excellent so hopefully it's more along that quality but I doubt it.

As for spiritual successors on kickstarter, I'd rather see more original content. Also I doubt that kickstarter could fund a game like Metal Gear or Silent Hill that would require a much bigger investment of revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Since the merge with Enix, Square haven't produced anything of quality storywise so I'd be pessimistic.

• Advertisement

Any of ye played the final fantasy record keeper? I hear its good fun

Since the merge with Enix, Square haven't produced anything of quality storywise so I'd be pessimistic.

Except they brought out the Tactic's Ogre remake which has an amazing story as well as a few other games with great stories. Square Enix aren't just Final Fantasy which never had good storylines anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Except they brought out the Tactic's Ogre remake which has an amazing story as well as a few other games with great stories. Square Enix aren't just Final Fantasy which never had good storylines anyway.

no but the games were enjoyable the same cant be said now days. that being said i liked 13-3 but im unsure if it was because it was a good game or i was happy not to be pkaying those other abbhorations

I don't know, they had one mistep with FFXIII but the rest of their output was great. What other truly bad games have they done? FFXIII-3 is just a great game, rubbish story but the RPG mechanics are so much fun to mess around with and it really doesn't take itself seriously. Anything Tabatha has done has been great fun, hell he even made a Kingdom Hearts game that wasn't utter ****, and with Square giving him and other new producers a chance it can only lead to good things imo and has so far paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Awesome news, this is one of my favourite games ever and possibly THE best JRPG combat system ever, anyone who hasnt played it should definitely give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Any of ye played the final fantasy record keeper? I hear its good fun

I tried it but to be honest, it's too hard for me to invest in an RPG on my phone. And I kept getting annoyed about getting notifications to go get special characters and not having the time to do it before they disappear :D

Mobile gaming is the one area I've never really managed to crack, the only thing I've ever really enjoyed on it was emulating the Phoneix wright games on my galaxy note because it came with a stylus :)

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Awesome news, this is one of my favourite games ever and possibly THE best JRPG combat system ever, anyone who hasnt played it should definitely give it a go

I adored Grandia 2 but thought the first game was way better.

As for the Grandia battle system being possibly the best JRPG combat system of all time, I strongly disagree. It's far and away the best JRPG combat system of all time.

Well looks like FF7 has gotten a fan translation that is based on the original Japanese game, although there's some complaints it's a bit too literal, like changing moogle and other established franchise terms.

Anyway there's a patch for the PC version and now a patch for the PS1 version so you don't have to put up with the terrible music. Must find a way to burn a patched CD so I can give it a whirl.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2340/

Really frustrated with ff type 0 , ch 8 is a bitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Really frustrated with ff type 0 , ch 8 is a bitch

Yeah, the game bugged me too but I stuck it out. I don't think I've ever felt less "rewarded" from playing a game.

Advertisement