Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just got around to reading it last night, but there's a frank interview with and feature on Alexander O. Smith in the latest Edge. Fascinating insight into the often thankless jobs of translation, and the technical and practical barriers in the way. Also final few paragraphs are an inevitably grim look at the current state of affairs in the Japanese gaming industry :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Does anyone else have ragnarok odyssey ace ? I need help with the boss at the end of ch6, thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Does anyone else have ragnarok odyssey ace ? I need help with the boss at the end of ch6, thanks

Still need help with this, nearly impossible to find other people online.

Also a list J'rpgs to look forward this year.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/07/10-under-the-radar-jrpgs-on-the-horizon.aspx

New trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X

Its out in Japan next week -_-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If the Wii U was not region locked, I could be playing this next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

About halfway through Mind-0, I think, and its very dull. The combat has one interesting element in the dual life bars, a rechargeable one for your "Persona" and a regular one for you. Your summon shields you but will leave you stunned if reduced to 0 so it becomes a (sometimes) interesting balancing act.

Anyone who's played it - I'm at the 6th dungeon (I think) the one where
    your school has been invaded.
    Does it get any better or should I cut my losses?

penev10 wrote: »
    About halfway through Mind-0, I think, and its very dull. The combat has one interesting element in the dual life bars, a rechargeable one for your "Persona" and a regular one for you. Your summon shields you but will leave you stunned if reduced to 0 so it becomes a (sometimes) interesting balancing act.

Cut your losses , it does not get better, just like Conception 2, Demon Gaze was the best game out of the three to be released.

Xenji wrote: »
    Cut your losses , it does not get better, just like Conception 2, Demon Gaze was the best game out of the three to be released.

I got stuck at the 4th dungeon I think, felt like I going round in circles o_O
    If the Wii U was not region locked, I could be playing this next week.

No doubt you'd have it finished in a week :p :pac:

Cheers, I've sank enough hours into it for little reward.

Natural Doctrine is up next although the alleged learning curve is putting me off, might just go for Atelier Alesha Plus if I can clear enough space on the memory card!

• Advertisement

1 hour gameplay footage of XC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everything looks much faster than its predecessor, so hopefully this one isn't several hundred hours long too ;) The scale and essence of Chronicles distilled into something more approachable and much less time consuming is something I'd be all for. And fewer pointless subquests.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually really like how xenoblade handled side quests. You didn't have to complete them all you just took them went exploring and they'd be completed naturally as you went. No need to return to the quest giver for a reward which was a huge help as well. It's a pity more games couldn't follow xenoblade example... As in every mmo out there.

The problem wasn't how they functioned, the problem was there was so ****ing many of them that they lost all meaning. Most of the sub quests in the game, at least up until the point I played, were shallow busywork, no two ways about it. Sure, you could ignore them to a certain degree, but the game nonetheless still assaults you with requests.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As you just said you can ignore them. Now you do have to do some or else end up severely under levelled since they give the only decent Xp gains but really all you have to do is take a crap load of them Then go explore every nook and cranny in the area you are in and by the end you'll have beaten a load without even trying. If you do it that way it doesn't feel like busy work at all. The only time I ever needed to grind was for the last boss and that didn't take long at all because the game gives out substantial end game quests with huge xp rewards.

Anyone know anything about Omega Quintet? its out next week for ps4

Anyone know anything about Omega Quintet? its out next week for ps4

Well it has the same dress destruction as Senran Kagura, so that should tell you something, everything is based around Idols singing and dancing, so it is more of a simulation game with rpg elements.

It makes use of the move function as well, I think it lets you make your own music videos with your own dancing.

Sounds like it will have a complex yet intuitive battle system, a deep metaphysical story and characters with personalities as deep as their cleavage.

I'm sold.

Sounds like the hyperdimension games?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Just finished Tears to Tiara 2, utterly fantastic game, if you ever liked SRPGs like shining force it's a must-play

The first few hours are really slow going but its incredibly worth sticking with it

I guess now it's time to finally face that Drakengard 3 final boss again, ugh

• Advertisement

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Just finished Tears to Tiara 2, utterly fantastic game, if you ever liked SRPGs like shining force it's a must-play
    Have it on my "next" pile. How long is it?

Speaking of SRPGs I started Tactics Ogre on PSP and wow is it a massive improvement if the SNES/PS1 game. It's so god damn good. Localisation is stellar as well 'There's blood on my hands. How long before it lies on my heart.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Speaking of SRPGs I started Tactics Ogre on PSP and wow is it a massive improvement if the SNES/PS1 game. It's so god damn good. Localisation is stellar as well 'There's blood on my hands. How long before it lies on my heart.'

A phenomenal remake. This is now the standard to which I hold all srpgs

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Have it on my "next" pile. How long is it?

I'm at 140 hours played but I was taking the time to S Rank & Bonus clear each stage + craft items, you could probably complete it in 60-70 hours if you're just playing for the story

Grindtime played star ocean the story this week

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not even gotten around to standard deception 4 :)

Ya haven't finished it myself, really fun game.

Ya haven't finished it myself, really fun game.

The Deception series has always been great fun and one of the few original ideas that's not been copied that's still around today. tecmo Kei are very good at supporting their niche games and the fact that this has gotten an update that was also released in the west bodes well for the series to continue.

• Advertisement

4 stages into Natural Doctrine and I really like it. The initiative / chaining moves system works really well when you get the hang of it. There was a lot made of the difficulty but I'm finding it no tougher than a Fire Emblem game on Hard (I'm playing it on Normal but there's an Easy mode that can be switched to at any stage). Expect to replay almost every mission but surely with SRPGS that's par for the course.

The dialogue / translation is horrible by modern standards but there is the, now de rigueur, option for Japanese voice acting which helps.

Advertisement