Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Starting to get excited by this already hopefully it will live up to the hype!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The battles system sounds very interesting, a bit Xenoblade but with a few more elements added in as well. Even if the story sucks a good meaty battle system will suit me and the team that has taken over has a good track record of making great real time battle systems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

New FF Type 0 Trailer, can't wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The story of Type-0 is meant to be complete arse but then, that's kind of standard with most Final Fantasy games. Meant to have a great battle system though and supposedly it's very challenging. Will be good to see it finally since it was made by the current FFXV team.

• Advertisement

Finished Atelier Rorona plus last night. It's refreshing to play a RPG with such an understated story. The focus is on Rorona herself and the people she makes friends with. I don't think I got the best ending, I got one with Etsy which was quite funny. Going to give the Overtime mode a try but apparently it's very difficult. If it looks too tough I'll give up and move on to something new, probably The Final Fantasy Legend on Gameboy.

Overall Rorona plus is one of the very best RPGs I've played. Really fun and the 3 month assignments is a brilliant structure that paces the game really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Finished Atelier Rorona plus last night. It's refreshing to play a RPG with such an understated story. The focus is on Rorona herself and the people she makes friends with. I don't think I got the best ending, I got one with Etsy which was quite funny. Going to give the Overtime mode a try but apparently it's very difficult. If it looks too tough I'll give up and move on to something new, probably The Final Fantasy Legend on Gameboy.

Overall Rorona plus is one of the very best RPGs I've played. Really fun and the 3 month assignments is a brilliant structure that paces the game really well.

Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea is out on Wednesday digitally, I assume you will be picking it up.

Xenji wrote: »
    Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea is out on Wednesday digitally, I assume you will be picking it up.

Crap, is there no physical release? I usually pick up the US version. I might hold off for the plus version if it's digital only since I probably won't get around to Shallie until Plus is released.

Crap, is there no physical release? I usually pick up the US version. I might hold off for the plus version if it's digital only since I probably won't get around to Shallie until Plus is released.

There is a physical release on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Suikoden 2 update

I am off to try and forge an alliance with the Knights of Matilda so that means in the interim
    Muse has fallen, South Window has fallen, Greenhill has fallen.

The turn-based command and conquer style battles are seriously naff, the graphics are more like FF6 then PS1 era (although I would probably do well to bear in mind the game didn't have an FF budget)

Music is growing on me even if it does seem to lack the full instrumental possibiltities CD based storage offered at the time. It sounds slightly more like the 8bit 16 bit consoles did.

Gameplay is fine, if easy. I usually use one character's 'Vs ALL' attack and have everyone else defend. Haven't faced a game over screen yet.

Story is interesting though
    Learned a little bit more about how Genkaku was betrayed by the City-State, how Greenhill fell by food shortage etc nice use of flashbacks.

Still have no idea why Jowy is back with the Highland or how he has risen so far so fast. There was some ghost character in his ear when he was still with the party but that hasn't been resolved. And the latest thing is that he is actually trying to take down Luca Blight from the inside so its all quite ??? atm.

I might resort to a guide to make sure I don't miss any decent stroy sub-quests for the main characters. Its fair to say I won't manage a second playthrough with other stuff to play.

EDIT: I like the way the Castle is buidling.

• Advertisement

Yeah the mass battles aren't that great, they never really are (they're basically rock paper scissors in the first game). Even though the units have a rock paper scissors type weakness going for the different types of units it's still very determined by the RNG. Even if you should win you can end up losing or attack an enemy over and over without doing damage which is maddening if you are going for the 108 character run.

As for the graphics I really like them. The game uses a lot of unique animations that are only used once throughout the game and give a lot more expression to the characters than in any 16 bit game. There's a lot more unique background details as well since it's not tied to using the same tiles as a 16-bit game.

Glad you are enjoying story, it gets quite interesting now. Jowy is a pretty complex character, there's a lot more to his story to come.

Tri-Ace might not be dead afterall:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/09/dont-worry-tri-ace-will-keep-making-games-consoles/

I don't trust them but it will be good if they can maintain their console game output and hopefully continue to collaborate with Square Enix.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

the postgame in Rorona plus is absolutely fantastic, it really caps off the series well with some incredibly tough bosses that require all the alechemy knowhow you accumulate over the games.

Still waiting on my Shallie LE to ship, PS3 just keeps trucking on

Well don't think Overtime in Rorona went too well. Couldn't even beat the first two bosses in the two new dungeons. They just kept one shotting me. Seems my combat levels were way off the pace, on YouTube the guys are about 57-62 while I was stuck around 45.

Suikoden 2 Update

On ym way to the Knights of Matilda, I took a detour and ended up at a forest town at the northwest tip of the map. Didn't seem to be anything going on there tbh so went back west to find the forest to Matilda.

That forest was the toughest place so far for random encounters even though there were only a few screens to navigate. Was delighted to reach the border in tact. The Castle etc was very interesting, not sure what is going on with the whole Red, White, Blue Knights divisons. Garuda seems a little comic book villan (I suspect he has already signed a tretay with Highland). Relieved when I
    lost that troop battle, thought for a second I was doing something wrong but no the refugees get slaughtered regardless. Found it very interesting that alot of Matilda's townsfolk and people in Highway village feel strongly about Matilda staying out of the war (i.e. they are against it).

I got to Highway, met Sir Humphry and went on the sidequest to Rakutei Mountain which felt like a maze and the encounter rate was high. Not sure how I found the
    save point and boss but thnakfully I did. The boss boss led to my first game over (what happens if you select the positive, non-'give-up' option after a game over? I decided to just reload from title screen..)

I died because I used one of Luc's summons which hurts everyone on screen, (more than I thought), and the boss followed with a strong vs ALL attack. I did best it the next time although I was down to physical attacks and potions. Luckily Shin and Sir Humphry are beastly in this regard. So yeah, him and Futch joined and we have a new
    dragon although I don't know if this has any gameplay effects on Futch. I am heading to the border with Muse next to find that Knight who ran off.

Definitely an interesting few hours there.

Sidenote, love the Highway Village music (I know it was played somewhere else though).

Loved the Futch sidequest especially if you have played the first game
    he lost his dragon in that one in one of the more dramatic moments.

I seem to remember that Futch and his dragon when in a party have a good combo attack.

Loved the Futch sidequest especially if you have played the first game
    he lost his dragon in that one in one of the more dramatic moments.

I seem to remember that Futch and his dragon when in a party have a good combo attack.

Yeah I wasn't sure what was going on there.

I though Futch was going to admit that he was lieing and never had a Dragon and that his friend would be disappointed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I posted in the FF Type O pre-order thread but nobody responded :o

Anyway, I'm in two minds about getting it as I need my FF fix and I've played FFX/X-2 to death so dont want to wait for that, so the question is should I get Type-O?

I'm already slightly tilting towards yes at the moment.

Wait for reviews, sure nobody has played it yet. In the mean time why not play some other ROGs that far surpass anything in the FF series?

Anything you'd recommend for the PS4?

There doesnt seem to a great selection unless I'm being totally blind to them.

• Advertisement

You'd be better off with a PS3 or Vita. There's feck all on PS4 I'd recommend. Bloodbourne is out this month, not exactly final fantasy but should be an epic japanese action RPG like the rest of the Souls series. After type 0 you'll probably have to wait until Persona 5 which is just a 1080p version of a PS3 game but should be spectacularly good.

Selling the PS3 was a mistake so. Ive seen a Bloodbourne alright, its something that'll tickle my fancy going on by what I seen of it.

If all else fails, I'll have to take the Vita off the Nephew so, all he does is play Minecraft on it anyway. :o

Played the first part of The Final Fantasy Legend on Gameboy. It's a very weird game to play. It looks a little basic but there's a whole heap of depth to the game. its amazing that this was the first RPG made for the Gameboy, it came out in its first year in 1989. It's hard to believe such an advanced game was on the system so early.

If you don't know already it's not actually a FF game but the first in the Saga series, which is known to be obtuse and not very player friendly. Legend definitely has some of this but it's nowhere near as bad as the later games. You can choose 3 character classes; Human, Mutant and Monster. Humans are the most basic. They can equip armour and weapons but don't level up after battle. Instead you have to buy stat increasing items to improve them. mutants on the other hand do level up after battles but it's random if they do. They are also the only class to learn spells. However every time they level up they can randomly lose a spell or gain a new one meaning you can get lucky with some great spells or get screwed over with crap ones. What weapon you use ðetermines what Attack stat you level up. Monsters randomly change into other monsters that you fight by eating meat left behind by monsters you defeat. Well it's not random but you won't figure the system out!

The randomness might seem unfair but it actually makes the game interesting so it's worth having a mutant and monster in your party, or maybe a few more to make it more fun!

Also the game is surprisingly portable friendly. The game allows you to save anywhere and the game is divided into seperate mini overworld a meaning you can't get too lost if you return from a long hiatus. This is incredibly forward thinking considering handheld gaming wasn't even a year old and amazing that people were ignoring these lessons up well into the PSP life cycle.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Selling the PS3 was a mistake so. Ive seen a Bloodbourne alright, its something that'll tickle my fancy going on by what I seen of it.

If all else fails, I'll have to take the Vita off the Nephew so, all he does is play Minecraft on it anyway. :o

Vita is a fantastic RPG machine. You have Persona 4 on there and 4 of the 6 PS3 Atelier games which are amazing with the e other 2 set to be released soon.then you have a massive back catalogue of PS1 and PSP RPGs with some stone cold classics like Suikoden 2, Persona 3, Trials in the Sky, Tactics Ogre, etc.

Jeremy Parish actually explains FF Legend better:

Vita is a fantastic RPG machine. You have Persona 4 on there and 4 of the 6 PS3 Atelier games which are amazing with the e other 2 set to be released soon.then you have a massive back catalogue of PS1 and PSP RPGs with some stone cold classics like Suikoden 2, Persona 3, Trials in the Sky, Tactics Ogre, etc.

Can't reccommend Ps1 games on the PSP tbh.

You either squash the image for widescreen or you settle for using 2/3 of your already small PSP screen for 4:3.

Same story on the PSVita I imagine.

That's only for PAL games though. NTSC games are full screen 4:3 and full speed. Really there's only very few cases where you should be buying PS1 games on the PAL store because of those reasons.

That's only for PAL games though. NTSC games are full screen 4:3 and full speed. Really there's only very few cases where you should be buying PS1 games on the PAL store because of those reasons.

Really?

Aw, that hoenstly makes me wish I had bought Suki 2 on the US site even with the dodgey translation.

Screen too small on PSP with 4:3 and widescreen makes text very sore on the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Once again making multiple profiles on the vita my dream feature. All the plus games from my pal account and the ntsc games from my US account.

Someday.....

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Really?

Aw, that hoenstly makes me wish I had bought Suki 2 on the US site even with the dodgey translation.

Screen too small on PSP with 4:3 and widescreen makes text very sore on the eyes.

Well the US translation is notoriously bad. Large parts aren't even translated and all the vocal tracks are taken out. There's a character you can pick up that will sing some beautiful vocal versions of some of the games themes. In the US version the game just pauses for 2 minutes because they just cut the entire track out. They also cut (iirc) the mass battle theme which is one of my favourites. There's large parts of the game untranslated as well, some optional towns the towns people speak a grabled mess. I listen to a podcast with the guys that actually translated the game and they are always saying they wish they had more time on it and would do it for free if Konami wanted. They were given less than 2 weeks to complete it.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Once again making multiple profiles on the vita my dream feature. All the plus games from my pal account and the ntsc games from my US account.

Someday.....

Not while Sony can sell multiple 64 GB memory cards at insane prices to guillible fools like us :) I have a Vita and a Vita TV so I kind of get around it by having one as my US machine and one as my European one. It's nice having a tiny little box for playing the old Final Fantasy games the way they were meant to be played :)

Advertisement