Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android-Driven Petite PC €57.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Which remote app do you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

So which would be the most recommended one of these nowadays? Which one has the most support and is most likely to receive updated firmwares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

djmarkus wrote: »
    Which remote app do you recommend?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockchip.remotecontrol

Above is the one I use with the g4. I found supplied remote not up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Bought the one above, will decide after I get it if I have to splash for a mini keyboard or an app will suffice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for this link eamon, http://www.measy.com.cn/product/showproduct55_en.htm

where has it been all my life. Awesome piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Guys, what are your opinions on these android tv boxes?

Been looking at getting something like it for OH who isn't very tech savvy or I'd consider going down the lines of a broken laptop media centre. Looked at Roku boxes which don't seem to offer much more than Netflix, and for a little bit more this android box seems like it'd do a great job but it's hard to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Samsung are entering the Android Mini pc market with the HomeSync . They will be releasing a box with a 1.7ghz dual core, 1GB ram, 8gb flash memory and a 1TB hard drive. No price confirmed just yet but they will start releasing it from the end of April to select markets.
    Link

Samsung-HomeSync.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

maximoose wrote: »
    Guys, what are your opinions on these android tv boxes?

Been looking at getting something like it for OH who isn't very tech savvy or I'd consider going down the lines of a broken laptop media centre. Looked at Roku boxes which don't seem to offer much more than Netflix, and for a little bit more this android box seems like it'd do a great job but it's hard to know!
    Massively massively overpriced and the eBay is totally false and misleading.
    Its the same internals as the other Android TV/media sticks.
    It can't play 1080p content at the moment (and may never even with the newest XBMC test builds) and has serious lip-sync issues with SD content & Youtube videos. In my opinion these devices aren't for the non-tech savvy just yet.

Roku and products like it will work out of the box and are far more friendly to the end-user.

edit: Maybe it will playback some 1080p videos as its the AMLogic CPU rather than the RockChip A9.
    You can pick this up for nearly half the price yourself and load on XBMC.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Thanks for this link eamon, http://www.measy.com.cn/product/showproduct55_en.htm

where has it been all my life. Awesome piece of kit.

That looks good, a Youtube review showed the camera and it doesn't look bad at all. Anyone here have this and care to comment on what it's like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Blade wrote: »
    Anyone here have this and care to comment on what it's like?

Yes, and no.

Would not care to comment yet, as I have not had a decent play around with it yet.

• Advertisement

Just had a browse through the thread and wondering why questions as to which one is the best are continually ignored? Possibly the same unpopular question but are any of these reliable yet? I had a UG802 ordered at one time until I heard the wireless was a disaster. If you guys don't care to answer may I ask if there's a website or source of information on these devices please? Thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe because there isn't a best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Yep they all seem to have one issue or another, dodgy wifi being the most popular one.

The armtvtech forum seems to cover quite a few of them so might be worth a rummage through.

There is a new one called the F9 coming out soon which is based on the Samsung Exynos 4412 quad core chip the same as used in the Odroid U2 which should have good processing power, but it's too early to say yet if it will be the new "best".

It looks like the Ouya won't launch until June now but that's another one to keep an eye on.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Just had a browse through the thread and wondering why questions as to which one is the best are continually ignored? Possibly the same unpopular question but are any of these reliable yet? I had a UG802 ordered at one time until I heard the wireless was a disaster. If you guys don't care to answer may I ask if there's a website or source of information on these devices please? Thank you! :)

Whichever one I currently have is always 'THE BEST' , until someone else comes along with a better one.

The BEST that I have used is the UHost U2, but I currently have a Measy U2C which looks very promising ( but the wifi might be not as good as the Uhost U2 ).

Have not had time to have a good play around with it yet, but have installed XBMC and it works very well on it ( Issues with Youtube via XBMC ) but youtube app works fine.

Have not done a whole lot more with it though, so is early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I have tried a few of these and no doubt about it some are a lot worse than others.
    For the price range, the UG802 was good, with a terrible wi-fi (That is apparently fixed in the newer versions).
    The MK802II is terrible, even with all of the Custom Roms, and changes i have tried.
    The MK808 was okay, but it did get choppy playing some streams.
    The T21 for me is smooth, no problems except for the newest official firmware, which i hope will be fixed, but until then i just use the last firmware.

They are all around the same price (Roughly €35 - €40)

For problems with Wi-Fi and other problems, Pimp My Rom can fix or at least improve, many of them (Requires root).

For the higher end ones (€80+) you get better quality and run into less problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm looking for a reliable android stick for playback of mostly 720p files, but occasionally 1080p files - very little else, maybe infrequent web use but even that is unlikely. Wifi strength is not an issue at all, so disregarding that feature, what would be the best value stick to buy? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sakimotosan

This looks most interesting indeed, I see the T21 has a lower spec processor than the RK3066 models though, I want one of these mostly for gaming so that could be a decider. I am not too pushed about wireless capability so it's not a deal breaker. Has anyone got one of these up and running (any model I guess assuming it's Android 4.1+) and has anyone tried to run emulators using this? I want to use a USB controller to play old games on my main TV screen but does anyone know if it's possible to configure most emulators on android to use an external controller; i.e. are they hardcoded to use virtual on-screen controllers?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Neo G4 arrived from geekbuying, only took 11 days! Also didn't get stung for customs.

Didn't have much of a chance to play around with it last night, but seems good so far. Played an episode of The Walking Dead on it, picture quality is pretty good.

Came with 4.1 installed, nice and smooth. Must give it a proper test tonight and I'll report back.

Neo G4 arrived from geekbuying, only took 11 days! Also didn't get stung for customs.

Didn't have much of a chance to play around with it last night, but seems good so far. Played an episode of The Walking Dead on it, picture quality is pretty good.

Came with 4.1 installed, nice and smooth. Must give it a proper test tonight and I'll report back.

Mine took slightly longer(from DX)..

But its a good piece of Kit..

Ditch the remote and use the android app instead. I'm going to get an airmouse in the long run i think.

Get XBMC that uses mxplayer.

I ordered the GK802 last week along with an air mouse. The plan is to stick Ubuntu onto it although I may wait another while so they can refine it a bit more. My goal is a ton of emulators along with a wireless receiver for my xbox 360 controllers and use the device as a multi-games console. Obviously I own all of the games that I will be playing, it's hard hook up 5/6 consoles in a small place, just want to point that out for legal reasons! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

jenno86 wrote: »

It obviously was a great buy if after 10 min's you're selling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

djmarkus wrote: »
    It obviously was a great buy if after 10 min's you're selling it!

I have no use for it. It was an impulse buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hey all,
    Looking at getting one of these to turn the big TV into a Smart TV. Is the A5A Android TV BOX any good? Saw it on dx.com for €77.85 and wondering if it's worth it?

Finally, is there an iPhone app for this sort of thing?

It looks quite nice in terms of connectivity however looking at the processor etc. there doesn't seem to be an awful lot in it to warrant the extra cost compared to say the MK809.

I don't know much about the A10 processor but I don't see any indication as to the number of processor cores on it. (a quick check says it's single core).

For the price I would go with something cheaper like the MK809 II but then again that's just going on what is on the advert site relating to the A5A. A cheaper model will do the trick if you want movies and web browsing IMHO but your best is read up the reviews of both products online, many have serious cons such as poor wireless connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't know much about the A10 processor but I don't see any indication as to the number of processor cores on it. (a quick check says it's single core).
    Seems the A10 is meant to be just a bastardised version of the A9, so went with the Neo G4 and a Measy RC11 Wireless Optical Air Mouse.

How is it working out for you? I am waiting on mine (GK802) and hoping that it arrives this week. Off the beer after Paddys weekend, need something to keep me occupied!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

How is it working out for you? I am waiting on mine (GK802) and hoping that it arrives this week. Off the beer after Paddys weekend, need something to keep me occupied!

I was sick all Paddy's weekend but I had my Neo G4, wireless keyboard and mouse, usb hard drive and uTorrent. I had plenty to keep me occupied for the weekend.

Can anyone let me know how the experience is with their respective device?
    I am still waiting on mine (should be any day now hopefully) and am wondering what the experience is like with emulators (retro arch etc.) and external controllers.

If Android can manage what I want then I will give Ubuntu a miss until it improves, although it is making leaps and bounds on the GK802 going by the developer community.

• Advertisement

Lads I'm desperate for a bit of Android gaming and don't want to wait until June for the Ouya. The MiniX Neo G4 seems to be the one to get....my question: Is there a wireless controller for these wonderful devices?

:edit: Seems to be either the AirMouse or a PS3 controller with the SixAxis app! I'm a total noob to all this so apologies!

Advertisement