Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭corner back 2

At the defence showed up in the 2nd half. Poor day for Darnold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Another poor performance and the scoreboard was far closer than it should have been. Darnold was poor, he could have legit had 4 or 5 interceptions and missed two deep balls to Robby and Powell that had they connected could well have gone for TDs. But I’d rather he makes these mistakes this year instead of next year! The run game never got going and I don’t think this team is capable of challenging for games without it.
    O-line/pass protection was horrendous all game, continually beat by 3/4 men rushes.
    While the defence got a couple of turnovers they were still pretty bad, they continually got beat on crossing routes over the middle it didn’t matter if it was WR, RB or TE’s they all had success, the worrying thing is this has been the case for the last 3 games and there hasn’t seemed to be any sort of moves to combat it!
    Two massive plays Brough back because of holds as well which was really !
    Last but not least I hope we never have to listen to Jeff Fisher call another game again!

At the defence showed up in the 2nd half. Poor day for Darnold.

Still really worrying how easily Bortles connected with receivers any time they went across the middle, it was pretty much a guarantee everytime he had time in the pocket.

One last thing, Todd Bowles has no business being a football head coach

Have to agree that time is up for Bowles and unfortunately Mac might follow him out the door as well. Player evaluation seems to be a major issue in the organisation. It is not unreasonable to expect a GM to prioritise the O line to protect a rookie QB. Also despite what some say our RBs are less than ordinary and aren't taking any pressure off the QB.

• Advertisement

Have to agree that time is up for Bowles and unfortunately Mac might follow him out the door as well. Player evaluation seems to be a major issue in the organisation. It is not unreasonable to expect a GM to prioritise the O line to protect a rookie QB. Also despite what some say our RBs are less than ordinary and aren't taking any pressure off the QB.

I'm not a fan of Macc but I think him staying all depends on how Darnold turns out. I have a feeling the Johnsons will give him that chance, I dont Bowles will get the same chance though.
    Hard for the RB's to do anything when they're not getting the ball. Also on the RBs I think Powell should be the clear number 1 back, this choping and changing isnt helping either of them

• Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Another slog of a season ahead.

Josh Martin who missed the first 3 games due to concussions has been placed on IR due to the same injury. Probably the end of his career, never nice to see

Looks like the "same old Jets" are back with all the stories being about off field stuff and lack of discipline. Crowell is grabbing the headlines for a toilet paper endorsement and it makes you wonder why the Jets signed him at all. Again you have to question the talent evaluation in the organisation. Powell is decent, maybe good bit not great. Crowell is poor as shown at the weekend and Cannon hasn't got a snap in 4 games. Running back is a vital position to take the pressure of a rookie QB and it seems the Jets have got it all wrong again!

Crowell is a good player with a cap hit this year of $2m, with $4m guaranteed on signing. He's cheap and he's productive within a manageable game script (like most power backs he needs 20+ carries to shine). Bilal Powell earns $850k a year and has a cap hit this year of $1.73m. Trenton Cannon earns a pittance.

In terms of draft capital we've invested over the past decade:

2018 6th
    2017 6th
    2013 7th (on a full back)

While the last vestiges of a great O Line have retired during that span.

We've invested nothing, and if I'm honest Powell and Crowell is a pretty good situation when that is considered.

You have to be realistic folks. Our returns are direct consequences of our decisions. We've temporarily neutered the strength of our offense (good receivers) by choosing to play a rookie QB who isn't comfortable throwing deep. That makes life a lot harder on our running game. And when our defense is making silly errors and failing to get the opposition off the field it all gets worse from there.

Through four weeks: of 34 QBs that have thrown 60 passes or more Sam Darnold is ranked 29th. For as long as that is the case there's no point getting stressed out about the results or performances. We're going to suck - it's (another :rolleyes:) rebuild year.

• Advertisement

I completely understand that we have to take our licks with Darnold this year but my point is the organisation is not supporting his development with poor O line and average running backs. If the talent evaluation doesn't improve there is no point in waiting for next year all the time. The hardest thing to change in any organisation is the culture and don't think the current regime is capable of changing the Jets acceptance of mediocraty.

The real question you should be asking is why throw him in there when you knew what the situation was with O Line and running backs to begin with...

So you would rather play a 40 yr QB with 1 good season in his whole career instead of a no 3 overall pick? The O line would still be rubbish. My point is about the culture and talent evaluation in the organisation not
    about Darnold.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

I want to see Darnold develop but with the O-Line all his is doing is throwing screen passes it seems. Run game effected coz of this too and I've lost count of how many three and outs we've seen. The management had to know this from the start and despite the blow out of the Lions it has been poor. Would of like to seen McCowen start a few but you can't drop Darnold now.

So you would rather play a 40 yr QB with 1 good season in his whole career instead of a no 3 overall pick? The O line would still be rubbish. My point is about the culture and talent evaluation in the organisation not
    about Darnold.

Yes, to protect my investment.

Darnold is out there playing abysmally with nowhere near enough help around him to pick him up. What is he gaining other than how to lose and play scared? Meanwhile an electric talent like Robby Anderson has a QB who can't take advantage of his skillset.

So yes, I'd absolutely play McCown. We're paying handsomely for him so may as well. Playing Darnold speaks to the point you are making: the organisation consistently makes terrible decision after terrible decision after terrible decision. This is yet another one. Let's hope it isn't one of the more costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Interesting day out in swampy Jacksonville! We got cheap flights a few weeks ago and decided to add a roadtrip after. Fellow Jets fans on the flight had field passes which meant they had to be in the stadium an hour before kick off where they could hang out with the players and staff. Probably the highlight of the day! We were late as we had to check into our Airbnb and by the time we uber'd there the game had started. 

However the lines were still ridiculous and things got more ridiculous when her small handbag was rejected so we had to go to another line to get it surrendered. Half one at this stage so she just chucked into the bushes and we were in! While our seats had a great view at the top of the stadium sitting there was a complete no no as it was savagely hot:

IMG_2397.jpg

So we watched most of the game from the shade underneath one of the giant screens whilst also watching the goings ons at the two wading pools and the party deck!

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

I just thought the Jets were atrocious on the day. While one could use the excessive heat as an excuse overall they never looked like competing. So much so that getting 12 points was an achievement! Darnold was meh but I still have more faith in him than some of his predecessors. While McCown is very experienced dropping Darnold now could be damaging to his confidence but I do get both arguments.

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

We left before the end and she was delighted to recover her bag! Another long season beckons.

and theres your long ball:D

tenor.gif?itemid=5057861

Crowell completely proving me wrong today! Credit where credit is due and I hope he can do it consistently now.

That looked like a completely different team that showed up against the Jags last week. The oline had a great game opening up some huge holes for the RBs, setting the rush really is essential to getting the offence going. Crowell had a massive game breaking the Jets single game rush record, he looked like a man possessed out there and thankfully no stupid celebrations!
    Darnold done what he needed to and had a couple of nice TD passes and was also nice to see him be able to stand tall in the pocket. Bates is still calling too many WR screens which the Broncos were ready for and resulted in several tipped passes. Spencer Long also seemed to be having issues with snapping the ball.
    The defence performed well and Bowles done a good job calling the plays, although the Broncos O did look pretty chronic!
    Mo Calbourne legit dropped 3 interceptions, needs to get some practice in on the juggs machine! Maye getting that pick 6 at the end would really have been the icing on the cake

• Advertisement

That first TD rumble from Crowell was electric! Great to see Anderson utilised aswell. Fair play to Bowles: really had them ready to play all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I didn't get to see any of it tonight but that is not at all where I saw that game going following it online.

I'm happy for Sam.

But you would have thought given the state of your play the last few weeks that we were capable of turning you over.

Well done guys. Here's to this being a watershed.

Doubt it's a watershed. Darnold completed 10 passes for 198 yards and we collectively rushed 38 times for 323 yards. That type of efficiency isn't sustainable. Denver look like a really bad team right now. Despite investing in a FA QB and some high draft picks in skill positions they look every inch a team that's lost three on the bounce and their schedule is looking pretty tough the rest of the way bar a couple of match ups. I don't think this will look like a good win by season's end, but as always I could be wrong...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Doubt it's a watershed. Darnold completed 10 passes for 198 yards and we collectively rushed 38 times for 323 yards. That type of efficiency isn't sustainable. Denver look like a really bad team right now. Despite investing in a FA QB and some high draft picks in skill positions they look every inch a team that's lost three on the bounce and their schedule is looking pretty tough the rest of the way bar a couple of match ups. I don't think this will look like a good win by season's end, but as always I could be wrong...

I'd agree with that, it was definitely more of the Broncos being bad than the Jets being brilliant. I didnt really follow the Broncos off season, but they must have lost a couple of key pieces on defence. To go from one of the best defences in the league to giving up over 500 yards is a hell of a fall!

phatkev wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, it was definitely more of the Broncos being bad than the Jets being brilliant. I didnt really follow the Broncos off season, but they must have lost a couple of key pieces on defence. To go from one of the best defences in the league to giving up over 500 yards is a hell of a fall!

I watched their game against Kansas on Monday night also*. They have a good pass rush obviously given the individual talent of their outside rushers, but they can't get an opponent off the field as a unit. Secondary players getting blown up; bad play calling in situations where they've created an obvious passing scenario given down and distance to go; and their D line offering chasms to run through. The pressure they get on a QB can cover up some of it, but not consistently.

*and on a short week travelling cross country if you're a bad team you are going to get mashed all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The only piece on defence that the Broncos lost was Talib.

But the Broncos have added to the defence - Chubb and Jewell in particular.

The problem begins and ends with Vance Joseph.

The Broncos played exactly the same defence on 1st down the entire game against the Jets - Nickel-Cover 1 - when the offence knows what the defence is and what it is going to do then it is easy to pick up chunks of yards.

On the two Anderson TDs - every Broncos fan knew that all Darnold had to do was look off the safety and Anderson was going to be 1-on-1 with Roby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Last year: 3-2 after 5 games. This year, 2-3. Slog on, Jets! Colts should be a win, get to 3-3. Then a tougher slog starts with the Vikings, Bears, Fish, Bills, Patriots. Make or break time.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Last year: 3-2 after 5 games. This year, 2-3. Slog on, Jets! Colts should be a win, get to 3-3. Then a tougher slog starts with the Vikings, Bears, Fish, Bills, Patriots. Make or break time.

I wouldn't be so sure. Andrew Luck is a completely different beast to Keenum, I mean we all saw what Bortles done to the defence a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I wouldn't be so sure. Andrew Luck is a completely different beast to Keenum, I mean we all saw what Bortles done to the defence a week ago

Keenum had 377 yds with 2 TDs and an INT - in normal circumstances these stats would indicate a good game by the QB. But most of the Broncos drives ended in a punt and when they had an opportunity Keenum just could not get it done. This years Keenum is the Keenum from Houston - not the Keenum from Minnesota.

Luck is - a different beast - but he is playing on a team with less talent than the Broncos. He does have the advantage that he doesn't have Vance Joseph as his HC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wild so far. Badly underthrown ball by Darnold. Should've thrown it away. Colts driving, end of 1st. Sigh.

Advertisement