Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not enough talent all over the field to pick up a poor rookie quarterback. Game plan was good, I don't think anyone would have anticipated Mayfield being plugged in this early in the season so I'm okay with the notion that they wouldn't have prepared for him specifically.

Darnold the last two weeks:

40 / 72 passing for 1 TD, 3 INTs and 5 sacks. He's awful, as you would expect. Frustrating because with a serviceable QB we'd likely be 3 - 0 right now.

Hardly. And quoting sacks to bash him is pretty pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

hots wrote: »

Blaming Darnold for the Miami loss is also laughable

phatkev wrote: »
    The game plan was any thing but good!! It seemed the only QB call Bates had was a WR screen, running that type of play every series is not going to win a game regardless of you your playing or who you have at QB! The difference in the two teams in the second half was one of them let their rookie QB play and the other didnt, cant put that on Darnold!

Also if you dont have some sort of game plan for the 1st overall pick regardless of if he's starting or not you dont deserve to be a head coach in the NFL

The WR screen is very strange, it clearly wasn't working from early on and it's a break away from what seemed to be the gameplan all preseason and first couple of games. The running game was too one dimensional and for some reason we abandoned the short sharp quick passes which were supposed to protect Darnold.

Blaming Darnold for the Miami loss is also laughable

He was much better against Miami than last night anyway imo. I forgot the worst play of the night for me, combo of Sam and the call I think tbf, the 8 yard loss to Herndon early on, scramble right play the TE screen left. The scramble wasn't great and he ends up having to play a very panicked pass out left, but the worst thing is having Herndon as the receiving man in a screen?! He's not exactly the most mobile guy, if you had him blocking that's fair or if you start him at the line of scrimmage he might have a chance to fall forward for a few but starting a big ****er 5 yards behind gives him zero chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Not enough talent all over the field to pick up a poor rookie quarterback. Game plan was good, I don't think anyone would have anticipated Mayfield being plugged in this early in the season so I'm okay with the notion that they wouldn't have prepared for him specifically.

Darnold the last two weeks:

40 / 72 passing for 1 TD, 3 INTs and 5 sacks. He's awful, as you would expect. Frustrating because with a serviceable QB we'd likely be 3 - 0 right now.

Get your point to a degree but not too sure how many quarterbacks would thrive behind that O line and with little or no consistent run game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

hots wrote: »

He has potential, lots of it. But right now, his output is bottom tier. He’s below replacement level in terms of performance the last two games. That’s okay, once you decide to put him in and start you’re punting any designs of competing for a playoff spot or winning season while he figures it out.

Awful now, good in the future (all going to plan).

Get your point to a degree but not too sure how many quarterbacks would thrive behind that O line and with little or no consistent run game.

We ran for over 100 yards and two touchdowns last night. Darnold has no ability to go deep at present. Hence the game plan to protect him as much as possible and simplify what we’re asking of him.

McCown would give more from the position and - given how close the last two weeks were - probably enough to win.

Just need to understand the implications of certain decisions and adjust expectations accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

We ran for over 100 yards and two touchdowns last night. Darnold has no ability to go deep at present. Hence the game plan to protect him as much as possible and simplify what we’re asking of him.

McCown would give more from the position and - given how close the last two weeks were - probably enough to win.

Just need to understand the implications of certain decisions and adjust expectations accordingly.

Which makes Robby Anderson useless at present. Bar his long TD in game 1 he has done nothing, a big drop in each his last two games.

I wanted Bridgewater to start but always knew he was going to be traded, agree with the McCowen point. Will be a tough learning curve for Darnold after the highs of the Detroit win.

Saying we would be 3-0 with McCown is a bit of a stretch. Many more problems besides Darnold. The supporting cast has been poor the last few games. And then there is the play calling and coaching.

if a QB has no time in the pocket there is no long ball option. Regardless of who was playing QB last night or against Miami there would have been no long balls because the time to let the play develop just wasnt there!

• Advertisement

He had plenty of time against Detroit and gave Anderson a single target. It’s not just a time thing. Our line was average last year and McCown aired it out plenty. As noted above, Darnold neuters one of our most powerful offensive weapons.

Again, this is all okay for the long term view. But coming in complaining about the coach / the D / the running game / the line and everything else when the QB was objectively poison is silly. If you have a poor QB in the NFL you need an exceptional team to carry him. We obviously don’t have that.

Its not the first season I've given out about the coaching/play calling though, its been consistently bad over the last 3 years! As I said earlier I was happy enough with the run game, but it definitely wasn't up to scratch in the second half (77 yards in the 1st half versus 30 in the 2nd) and thats because Bates continually ran the same plays to which the Browns adjusted to ( something Bowles seems incapable of doing). Yeah Darnold was poor but to put the entirety of the blame on him for last night is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Its not the first season I've given out about the coaching/play calling though, its been consistently bad over the last 3 years! As I said earlier I was happy enough with the run game, but it definitely wasn't up to scratch in the second half (77 yards in the 1st half versus 30 in the 2nd) and thats because Bates continually ran the same plays to which the Browns adjusted to ( something Bowles seems incapable of doing). Yeah Darnold was poor but to put the entirety of the blame on him for last night is just silly.

The blame lies with the approach of the Jets and the play-calling once they got to 14-0 - run/run/3rd&long - it put Darnold in an impossible situation against what is a very good pass rush that the Browns have put together.

The blame lies with the approach of the Jets and the play-calling once they got to 14-0 - run/run/3rd&long - it put Darnold in an impossible situation against what is a very good pass rush that the Browns have put together.

exactly, which is on the coaches

After watching the weekend games it is obvious that the season has still to settle down and it's way to early to make judgements especially on a rookie QB. I have seen some of the film study of the Browns game and some of the analysis is ridiculous. One particular play where Darnold "missed" a wide open receiver was when he moving to his right under pressure from the defence and he was supposed to throw back across his body to a WR moving left. It would have been a risky throw for Brady let alone Darnold. Can't agree he is a poor QB based on Brown's game when he threw for 300 yards against Miami in his other so called bad game.

He might be a HOF QB eventually, but right now he's performing "poorly". That's okay, it's expected. You would assume his stats or output to be quite poor for the first year or so and once he's demonstrating improvement from a film perspective week to week and learning as he goes that's all we need to be seeing. Can't have it all ways. I don't expect a QB of his age in his first season to be good. I hope he gets through the season and learns as he goes therefore justifying the decision to put him in there. If it's so bad that he gets pulled we then have a disaster on our hands, so that's the potential risk. But no fear of that thus far.

The film Mahomes has put together his first three starts is extraordinary, leaving aside his historic statistical output. So it is possible to do well from the off (Mahomes sitting for a year behind Alex Smith probably didn't hurt but Reid knows what he's doing with QBs) and there's no point going overly defensive of mistakes or poor performances. There's nothing to get emotional about here. Darnold will either be the man or not, but he will have to improve substantially at some point in the future to be what we need.

For now, it's about being patient, expecting to lose and hopefully enjoying him making a couple of nice plays a game.

Todd Bowles vaunted defence making Bortles look like a hall of famer! Cant wait to see all the adjustments he makes in the second half

Great idea not to cover crossing routes or the middle of the field! Lucky to be only 13 down

Great idea not to cover crossing routes or the middle of the field! Lucky to be only 13 down

10 days they've had to prepare for this game and yet it looks like today is the first time they've seen the Jags! Absolute joke

I'll give Bowles props for going for it on 4th down though, I like that!

• Advertisement

Why not run it on 3rd and 1 if you were going to go on 4th at least don't go empty backfield both times

Yeah found that a bit strange alright, just happy to see them give Darnold something other than a screen pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

This is painful to watch, on a schedule that really should have seen the Jets needing to only win 4 more times after week 5 it's all gone Pete tong and the only thing that should be looked for now is a head coach. Bowles has to go, at least Rex was entertaining when losing

Awful stuff time to start looking at the number 1 pick in next year's draft. O line is abysmal.

Its embarrassingly bad!

Bates going empty on 3 and 1 yet again is very questionable

Darnold not very accurate today but no separation from WRs either

Darnold not very accurate today but no separation from WRs either

its hard for both because the Jags are getting so much pressure by only rushing 3 or 4 players

Trumaine Johnson has had a very poor start to his Jets Career

• Advertisement

I gave Bowles credit for going for it on the 4th and 1, but Down by 22 and he sends out the field goal unit. I mean the Jags had a 3 TD lead and after the FG they still have a 3 TD lead......

Advertisement