Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Delighted with result last night and with performance on all units. I know the lions were terrible but it was good to see the Jets capitalise on the opportunities presented to them. I was particularly pleased with the performance of the line backer corp which might have been perceived as a weakness pregame. The O-line was excellent but I would be concerned about the depth here. Reading the stats it appears that the starting o line played 100% of offensive snaps including garbage time. There's a reason it's called garbage time and there's no reason to be risking players at that stage of the game. Darnold was excellent and his level attitude should standem him in good stead for the inevitable ups and downs to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Delighted with result last night and with performance on all units. I know the lions were terrible but it was good to see the Jets capitalise on the opportunities presented to them. I was particularly pleased with the performance of the line backer corp which might have been perceived as a weakness pregame. The O-line was excellent but I would be concerned about the depth here. Reading the stats it appears that the starting o line played 100% of offensive snaps including garbage time. There's a reason it's called garbage time and there's no reason to be risking players at that stage of the game. Darnold was excellent and his level attitude should standem him in good stead for the inevitable ups and downs to come.

I was enjoying watching Luvu off the edge actually, he seemed to have a bit more burst than Mauldin so a nice easy upgrade there for like-for-like bubble players.

I was thinking the same for the Oline too, especially with so so little depth (as we saw in preseason). Only thing I can think is that he wants them to get better as a unit and they need the game reps to do that? Also really can't risk putting a turnstile out there and risking Darnold getting battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Qvale is the backup at both RT and LT, it would be an absolute disaster if he had to fill in at either of those positions. He's just not good enough!

phatkev wrote: »
    Qvale is the backup at both RT and LT, it would be an absolute disaster if he had to fill in at either of those positions. He's just not good enough!

Agreed, any idea who's the next batter up at tackle after him? Oline is easily the position group I understand least.

hots wrote: »
    Agreed, any idea who's the next batter up at tackle after him? Oline is easily the position group I understand least.

Not sure, it would have been Ijalana but he's on IR. I assume it would be one of the replacement guards:eek: They have a tackle on the practice squad that could be promoted as well

• Advertisement

O-line struggling massively today

Tough loss! I was impressed with Darnold, he made some really impressive throws and done well inside and outside of the pocket given the protection or lack of he was getting from the line. He's first INT was completely on him, the safety baited him and he completely fell for it, but thats the sort of thing you would hope he will getting better at reading with more playing time. The second pick was completely on Pryor, he was completely useless today!

The defence was decent today and got a decent amount of pressure on Tannehill. There was a couple of stupid penalties on 3rd down that extended plays (one of them ended with a TD), and as much as I love Jamaal Adams his indiscipline on that final drive meant Darnold wouldn't get one final shot to get something from the game.

Todd Bowles time management is still bullsh1t, also how many times did Tannehill get big yardage on the exact same qb run play. Really wasnt a fan of Bates offensive calling in the first half, he completely ignored the run game for whatever reason and I felt it really hurt the offence, improved in the second half but the damage was done

Some growing pains for Darnold today but glad he is getting them on the field rather than on the bench. It looks like the real O line showed up today with poor protection and the Jets unable to run the ball especially in the first half.

Some growing pains for Darnold today but glad he is getting them on the field rather than on the bench. It looks like the real O line showed up today with poor protection and the Jets unable to run the ball especially in the first half.

They never tired to run it in the first half, they only rushed it something like 8 times in the first half, hard to get a rhythm going with stats like that

But yeah 42 yards really isnt going to cut it, especially with a rookie qb

• Advertisement

The alarming number of penalties that were occurring in the pre season reared their head again. Most concerning are the penalties in vital areas like stopping the D getting off the field on 3rd down. Skrine again was responsible for 2 of these. It has to be viewed as a reflection on the coaching staff that this keeps happening.

Tough loss! I was impressed with Darnold, he made some really impressive throws and done well inside and outside of the pocket given the protection or lack of he was getting from the line. He's first INT was completely on him, the safety baited him and he completely fell for it, but thats the sort of thing you would hope he will getting better at reading with more playing time. The second pick was completely on Pryor, he was completely useless today!

The defence was decent today and got a decent amount of pressure on Tannehill. There was a couple of stupid penalties on 3rd down that extended plays (one of them ended with a TD), and as much as I love Jamaal Adams his indiscipline on that final drive meant Darnold wouldn't get one final shot to get something from the game.

Todd Bowles time management is still bullsh1t, also how many times did Tannehill get big yardage on the exact same qb run play. Really wasnt a fan of Bates offensive calling in the first half, he completely ignored the run game for whatever reason and I felt it really hurt the offence, improved in the second half but the damage was done

Agree entirely with this, lots to improve on but bright from darnold.

The alarming number of penalties that were occurring in the pre season reared their head again. Most concerning are the penalties in vital areas like stopping the D getting off the field on 3rd down. Skrine again was responsible for 2 of these. It has to be viewed as a reflection on the coaching staff that this keeps happening.

definitely a reflection on skrine anyway, so stupid, as bad as adams bust on the last.

I just had a look at the schedule and the next 6 weeks dont look pretty, especially if the o-line plays like it did yesterday. Browns, Jags, Broncos, Vikings and Bears all to come in that stretch!!

I just had a look at the schedule and the next 6 weeks dont look pretty, especially if the o-line plays like it did yesterday. Browns, Jags, Broncos, Vikings and Bears all to come in that stretch!!

Browns and Broncos are winnable... the other 3 could be grim. I'd love to see us keeping defences a bit more honest by throwing out more 3/4WR sets instead of stacking TEs, at least empty the box a bit and give darnold and the RBs some more space to scramble. Mack on either tackle is going to be rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Marcus Maye to miss another game. I think he was missed a lot vs. the Fish, esp. on that late play to Gore. Adams can't do everything and teams'll continue to pick on Buster "Penalty Factory" Skrine (who is playing like last year) until Maye's around to help out more.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/18/marcus-mayes-injury-situation-isnt-getting-better/

hots wrote: »
    Browns and Broncos are winnable... the other 3 could be grim. I'd love to see us keeping defences a bit more honest by throwing out more 3/4WR sets instead of stacking TEs, at least empty the box a bit and give darnold and the RBs some more space to scramble. Mack on either tackle is going to be rough.

Yeah sorry I should have said it was the defensive fronts/ability to pressure the QB of each of those teams that worried me the most.

I dont think they'll win Thursday night! Todd Bowles with a road game on a short week screams loss to me, even if it is against the Browns!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Anyone staying up to watch tonight? Not as confidant as before after last Sunday about the win.

L.S.F wrote: »
    Anyone staying up to watch tonight? Not as confidant as before after last Sunday about the win.

I wont be able to stay up for it tonight, I'll hopefully catch it before I head to work tomorrow. I'm not confident at all, I dont think Bowles is capable winning a road game on a short game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

L.S.F wrote: »

Going to bed now and will get back up for it. It'll be interesting to see what Jets will show up tonight!

Hoping Myles Garrett has a bad game tonight. He could have a field day against that O-line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Well that was ****ing abysmal

Have the whole game recorded and the 1 hour highlights as well. Think I will stick with the 1 hour version after reading reports this morning. Bowles seems to be very much on the hot seat now with penalties a major problem again. Anyway at least the Jets can take credit for unleashing Baker Mayfield on the league by knocking out Taylor - maybe it's Brady all over again!!!

It started out so well, but even I could see they weren't going to sustain it offensively with Darnold running for his life on every single snap, good to see them stick with the running game though. The defence looked exhausted by the end of the first half, which would be a bit of concern this early in the season. I dont think they made a single play in the second half.
    But ultimately this loss is on Bowles again imo. He made zero adjustments when Baker came into the game, it looked like it was the first time the D had ever seen him. The usuals were there last night as well, penalties, time management and not have a clue what to do when a team starts to make a comeback! The sooner he gets the sack the better in my opinion, if you cant sort that sh1te out in 3 years you're never going to!

Penalties weren't even the biggest issue tonight, play calling was attrocious, line was very poor and the receiving corps did sweet f all to help. Browns are in a very good place now at individual levels, but better individuals than us imo.

That second half was just full of poor decisions, it was made for just keeping the yards ticking over and with dinks and dives all the way, instead we tried to run the ball up the middle over and over again when it wasn't working.

Robbie needs to buck up big time too, 2 huge turnovers he's cost us now and he's not anywhere near involved enough (partially down to play calling).

It's not necessarily the amount of penalties they're giving away, it's the type of penalties they're committing. The personal fouls last night were ridiculous, and every week there's at least one stupid taunting penalty. While these aren't entirely on Bowles, he should be sending a message and disciplining these guys, which he's clearly not because they keep doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

The defence seemed to **** their pants when Mayfield came on. As mentioned above, was it just tiredness or no plan B? It was like watching a WWF Royal Rumble, everyone going along nicely then someone comes in, everyone stops and he cleans house.
    Didn't mind all the 3 and outs at the start, when we found a rhythm it was working then nosedived toward the end of the first half.
    Not a Bowles fan from the start, will have to show some balls and pick up after our bad start. I know it was 3 games in 10 days but that was a winnable game the way things were going.

It's especially concerning bearing in mind the schedule coming up too, cuold easily be only one or two wins after 8 games and then the pressure is really on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not enough talent all over the field to pick up a poor rookie quarterback. Game plan was good, I don't think anyone would have anticipated Mayfield being plugged in this early in the season so I'm okay with the notion that they wouldn't have prepared for him specifically.

Darnold the last two weeks:

40 / 72 passing for 1 TD, 3 INTs and 5 sacks. He's awful, as you would expect. Frustrating because with a serviceable QB we'd likely be 3 - 0 right now.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not enough talent all over the field to pick up a poor rookie quarterback. Game plan was good, I don't think anyone would have anticipated Mayfield being plugged in this early in the season so I'm okay with the notion that they wouldn't have prepared for him specifically.

Darnold the last two weeks:

40 / 72 passing for 1 TD, 3 INTs and 5 sacks. He's awful, as you would expect. Frustrating because with a serviceable QB we'd likely be 3 - 0 right now.

The game plan was any thing but good!! It seemed the only QB call Bates had was a WR screen, running that type of play every series is not going to win a game regardless of you your playing or who you have at QB! The difference in the two teams in the second half was one of them let their rookie QB play and the other didnt, cant put that on Darnold!

Also if you dont have some sort of game plan for the 1st overall pick regardless of if he's starting or not you dont deserve to be a head coach in the NFL

Advertisement