Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good Darnold is out, he could use a couple of weeks off. McCown under center will hopefully give a boost to everyone and the positive energy carry them to a good performance against a very beatable team ahead of the bye.

Haha you got your wish! Papering over the cracks against the only team nearly as bad as ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I hope we give Sam a heeeeap of time to recover now, zero point rushing him back, would say the same for Long too, they can both go and do rehab together and a week of snap practices once they're fully fit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,143 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah no benefit to rushing him back. He's got nine games under his belt. Sitting with a clip board on the sideline for a few more might help him in the long run. It's a good time to get a minor injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

And people said Darnold was the problem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

See ya, Todd.

WTF. 30-0. Time to go watch the paint peel.

No defense. No offense.

Welcome to waiting for 2019.

• Advertisement

Yeah no benefit to rushing him back. He's got nine games under his belt. Sitting with a clip board on the sideline for a few more might help him in the long run. It's a good time to get a minor injury.

Glad he is on the sideline for this debacle. He is not going to learn a lot holding a clipboard today but still glad he is not out there to take the blame!

Has he been sacked yet? That was abysmal, not sure if there's any value keeping him in charge, might as well promote McCown to HC until the end of the year.

I fully expect Bowles to be gone this week. Abject capitulation yesterday against a bad football team. Barkley being a serviceable QB added to the mix at short notice obv made them a stiffer test than on other weeks of the season, but the manner and nature of the defeat was completely unacceptable.

If this is the level of play we can expect through the rest of the season then I would not have Darnold take the field. Protect the investment. Serious changes need to be made next offseason.

The angry mob wants its pound of flesh after yesterday's debacle, but firing Todd Bowles now would serve little purpose other than a PR move. The No. 1 objective should be to create a stable environment for rookie Sam Darnold, whose development is paramount. The Jets also don't have an obvious successor on the staff. I think people in the organization would be surprised if ownership pulls the plug now. Different story at the end of the season.

From Rich Cimini, ESPN

Alternative viewpoint to mine, or most on here.

From Rich Cimini, ESPN

Alternative viewpoint to mine, or most on here.

I could see that but honestly is Bowles staying really a steady ship at all? Keeping OC & McCown is more important to Sam imo.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    I could see that but honestly is Bowles staying really a steady ship at all? Keeping OC & McCown is more important to Sam imo.

To be honest I'd rather keep Bowles over Jeremy Bates!! Theres a reason he was living in the woods before he got a call from the Jets

I fully expect Bowles to be gone this week. Abject capitulation yesterday against a bad football team. Barkley being a serviceable QB added to the mix at short notice obv made them a stiffer test than on other weeks of the season, but the manner and nature of the defeat was completely unacceptable.

If this is the level of play we can expect through the rest of the season then I would not have Darnold take the field. Protect the investment. Serious changes need to be made next offseason.

The only think thing that Bowles has achieved this season is getting me to agree with you that it's probably better that Darnold stays on the sideline for a while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

What an utter embarrasment the game against the Bills was. The entire team seemed to give up... both sides of the ball. 6 games left… two against the Patriots, the Packers, Texans, Titans, and Bills again. It might be a 3-13 season. Bowles will be gone after the season because no one on the coaching staff could take over at this point. Maccagnan will probably be gone also. Dear gawd in heaven, why are the Jets always in a rebuilding mode?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Try to follow all things Jets on Twitter and while it was quiet here earlier (US morning) it has really exploded now. Lots of venting going on and lots from Jamal Adams about the losing culture. Also saw that Bowles didn't turn up for work on Monday morning because he thought was going to be fired! You really couldn't make it up. Many reports of an NJ man caught drink driving who blamed the Jets losing for causing him to drink!

Try to follow all things Jets on Twitter and while it was quiet here earlier (US morning) it has really exploded now. Lots of venting going on and lots from Jamal Adams about the losing culture. Also saw that Bowles didn't turn up for work on Monday morning because he thought was going to be fired! You really couldn't make it up. Many reports of an NJ man caught drink driving who blamed the Jets losing for causing him to drink!

he must have been drink driving for years if thats the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

"Many reports of an NJ man caught drink driving who blamed the Jets losing for causing him to drink!"

- - - - -
    Yes, it's come to this...

Authorities say a pro football fan charged with drunken driving after a crash told police he drank too much because his favorite team isn't any good.

Wayne police say the 57-year-old man, was charged after he rear-ended another vehicle about 5:15 p.m. Sunday. The crash came about an hour after his team, the New York Jets, lost 41-10 to the Buffalo Bills.

Authorities say he told responding officers: “I drank too much because the Jets suck.”

Police say he had an open bottle of whiskey and suspected marijuana in his car. Besides the DWI count, he was also charged with assault by auto.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

So with the bye week behind us, what are peoples expectations for the remaining 6 week? Looking at redzone last night I found myself cheering for the teams with worse records than the Jets, purely for the improved draft position it may give us! That seems to be a common theme sense the 2015 season.

phatkev wrote: »
    So with the bye week behind us, what are peoples expectations for the remaining 6 week? Looking at redzone last night I found myself cheering for the teams with worse records than the Jets, purely for the improved draft position it may give us! That seems to be a common theme sense the 2015 season.

1-5, win @ Buffalo, lose the rest. So, 4-12 for the season. Ugh.

Maybe a lucky bounce in one of the other games but I can see the postseason-likely teams just drooling over playing the Jets. They're not hard to beat. The New England games are going to be ugly.

With two weeks to prepare I think they might actually play the Pats close for 2 or 3 quarters but ultimately come up short. The optimism will be short lived however with maybe 1 more win for the season.

With two weeks to prepare I think they might actually play the Pats close for 2 or 3 quarters but ultimately come up short. The optimism will be short lived however with maybe 1 more win for the season.

I think they'll keep it to a low scoring game anyway, mainly hoping that we can have some sort of run game to give the defense some rests and whoever ends up as QB a bit of a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

I think they'll keep it to a low scoring game anyway, mainly hoping that we can have some sort of run game to give the defense some rests and whoever ends up as QB a bit of a chance.

You'd have to hope that they bench Darnold for the rest of the season so as not to destroy his development. Especially with two games against the Pats...

You'd have to hope that they bench Darnold for the rest of the season so as not to destroy his development. Especially with two games against the Pats...

I'm not sure, I'd probably bench him for this one, make sure that foot is properly healed too, and then head out again after that... He should be able to be competitive against the Titans Bills and Texans, not expecting wins but some improvement on his poor stats so far for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

I'm not sure, I'd probably bench him for this one, make sure that foot is properly healed too, and then head out again after that... He should be able to be competitive against the Titans Bills and Texans, not expecting wins but some improvement on his poor stats so far for sure.

I get what you're saying and in an ideal world I'd so the same too, but with that O line in front of him things have the potential to get even uglier. I'd let McCown take the reins and let Darnold develop on the sidelines. Then hopefully we get some upgrades in the O line and new toys at WR for next season which will push Darnold on.

I get what you're saying and in an ideal world I'd so the same too, but with that O line in front of him things have the potential to get even uglier. I'd let McCown take the reins and let Darnold develop on the sidelines. Then hopefully we get some upgrades in the O line and new toys at WR for next season which will push Darnold on.

Yeah the last thing you'd want is him picking up a proper injury that's for sure, only thing is he'll learn from every game, no matter how bad it is so I'd rather see him out there even if we're getting hockey-ed. It's a shame we don't carry a full back or have a beast of a blocking TE otherwise you'd run them on every play as extra support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Bowles and Johnson got into a screaming match after the Bills fiasco so when Bowles left and then didnt show the monday it was understandable that players were sending texts that he was fired.

Mixed feelings on this after a week off. Based on performances and ultimately results yes he has to go but there are other variables at play. Are there genuine candidates who will come in and steady the ship so late in the season?

In fact it mirrors the Ireland job in a way.

Being competitive against the cheaters should surely be the minimum requirement.

Eh. 3-8. Snore. I'll wake up in 2019.

Gods this is awful. Blow the team up. Or something. Laughably bad team. And I had season tickets in the Kotite era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Watching the game delayed here. All I’ll say is if you have the opportunity to get the GOAT off the field after a 3rd down penalty. Just decline the penalty....

franglan wrote: »
    Watching the game delayed here. All I’ll say is if you have the opportunity to get the GOAT off the field after a 3rd down penalty. Just decline the penalty....

Todd Bowles in a nutshell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

phatkev wrote: »
    Todd Bowles in a nutshell!

Todd Bowles is the human version of a sheep - always looks happy...

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »

Just makes no sense at all that play, it wasn't even pushing them properly out of FG contention or anything? Even if Brady makes 4&2 you just say fair enough. Ridiculous.

Thought the team played alright yesterday tbh, line is poor still, McCown running for his life a couple of times. Herndon looking good. Our lack of any pressure or even run D from our line was very concerning. We need Williams to step up imo, he doesn't need to be making big plays but he should be anchoring that side of the line every single play.

Adams is unreal.

Advertisement