Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Maccs first three drafts look fairly bleak after that round of cuts, and the majority of the lads listed as backups are way down the depth chart

Leonard Williams (starter)
    Devin Smith (gone)
    Lorenzo Mauldin (gone)
    Bryce Petty (gone)
    Jarvis Harrison (gone)
    Deon Simon (gone)

Darren Lee (starter)
    Christian Hackenberg (gone)
    Jordan Jenkins (starter)
    Justin Burris (back up)
    Brandon Shell (starter)
    Lac Edwards (starter)
    Charone Peake (back up)

Jamal Adams (starter)
    Marcus Maye (starter)
    Ardarius Stewart (suspended)
    Chad Hansen (gone)
    Jordan Legette (back up)
    Dylan Donahue (gone)
    Jeremy Clark (gone)
    Derrick Jones (back up)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hackenberg pick still annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Hard to know what to feel after the roster cut down. Jets are very weak at Linebacker and have little or no depth at offensive line in a group that is fairly injury prone. Also the running backs are very ordinary with no real playmaker to take the pressure off a rookie QB. On the plus side I think the wide receiver core and the secondary have both the potential to be excellent. I found it strange that the Jets made no waiver claims at all. I am starting to think that this is maybe a 4 win team and we could be picking very high again next year.

Hard to know what to feel after the roster cut down. Jets are very weak at Linebacker and have little or no depth at offensive line in a group that is fairly injury prone. Also the running backs are very ordinary with no real playmaker to take the pressure off a rookie QB. On the plus side I think the wide receiver core and the secondary have both the potential to be excellent. I found it strange that the Jets made no waiver claims at all. I am starting to think that this is maybe a 4 win team and we could be picking very high again next year.

Making no waiver claims was a bit strange alright, especially considering theres only 3 OLBs on the roster.

Yeah, I think this is a 4-6 win team.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

phatkev wrote: »
    Making no waiver claims was a bit strange alright, especially considering theres only 3 OLBs on the roster.

Even stranger Jets working out Brashad Perriman WR on Monday not a position of need at all. I do wonder if the current staff have an obsession with this position. I would rather stay with what we have and some continuity would be a help for Sam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I reckon we're going to be looking at nickel sets as our most used and just jam as many coverage guys on the field as possible. Adams in the box plenty too I would imagine.

Perriman (wr), Bailey(k) and Attaochu(OLB) are all being brought in for try outs today

Perriman (wr), Bailey(k) and Attaochu(OLB) are all being brought in for try outs today

Yeah I thought Bailey might be worth a shout. Perriman would be weird, and any OLB is worth a try out imo.

Sending our high investment first round draft pick out to get destroyed year one is very Jetsian.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sending our high investment first round draft pick out to get destroyed year one is very Jetsian.

Not ideal but others have managed it. The fact there's low expectations should help I think, but the O Line in front of him really is a concern. Thankfully he's pretty mobile and seems to like rolling out of trouble. I do wish we even had a decent blocking TE or FB to give him a bit of added cover sometimes too.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    Not ideal but others have managed it. The fact there's low expectations should help I think, but the O Line in front of him really is a concern. Thankfully he's pretty mobile and seems to like rolling out of trouble. I do wish we even had a decent blocking TE or FB to give him a bit of added cover sometimes too.

Or have him back up for the first half of the season, learn and look to phase him in with an eye on next year while thinking how we can improve the team via the draft and FA in the meantime? Mad idea I know.

None of Mayfield, Rosen or Jackson will start this season bar the team going out of contention towards the latter half of the year. Even the fecking Bills have the sense to not throw their new pick in right from the get go. Instead we're going to trot him out behind a porous O line with a very weak RB grouping beside him. Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson all sat to begin last year.

Hopefully he's every inch as good as he's supposed to be, but it's rolling the dice with his development unnecessarily.

Or have him back up for the first half of the season, learn and look to phase him in with an eye on next year while thinking how we can improve the team via the draft and FA in the meantime? Mad idea I know.

None of Mayfield, Rosen or Jackson will start this season bar the team going out of contention towards the latter half of the year. Even the fecking Bills have the sense to not throw their new pick in right from the get go. Instead we're going to trot him out behind a porous O line with a very weak RB grouping beside him. Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson all sat to begin last year.

Hopefully he's every inch as good as he's supposed to be, but it's rolling the dice with his development unnecessarily.

I wouldn't say very weak RB group, it's the best we've had in a few years imo (not saying much). On the flip side Dak, winston, mariota, cam, luck etc. all started week 1, hasn't done them any harm. It's certainly no easy start for him, but I don't think many high pick QBs get easy starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭franglan

Working out Perriman - released Chad Hansen, thought he was relatively useful when he played.

franglan wrote: »
    Working out Perriman - released Chad Hansen, thought he was relatively useful when he played.

He was very poor in preseason but picked up immediately by the pats which presumably means he's on the way to being elite knowing our luck. Don't see much point in Perriman for us tbh, we had 8/9 receivers, all somewhere between good and showing potential, there's no way he's better than the top 6/7 that we've kept.

He was very poor in preseason but picked up immediately by the pats which presumably means he's on the way to being elite knowing our luck. Don't see much point in Perriman for us tbh, we had 8/9 receivers, all somewhere between good and showing potential, there's no way he's better than the top 6/7 that we've kept.

I think they're probably looking at wr because there's a chance Robby gets hit with a suspension for his off-season antics, Enunwa and Pryor are both coming of injuries and Kearse is currently injured. Might just be a backup option later in the season incase disaster strikes the wr group during the year. The way things stand at the moment he wouldn't get near the team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

This should be a fun year to watch, but that’s about it, as they build around Darnold.  They may even make the playoffs this year, but I don't seem them going far.  I’d say they’ll be a legitimate threat in two to three years.  But it will be nice seeing Le’Veon Bell in a Jets uniform in 2019... or sooner.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    This should be a fun year to watch, but that’s about it, as they build around Darnold. They may even make the playoffs this year, but I don't seem them going far. I’d say they’ll be a legitimate threat in two to three years. But it will be nice seeing Le’Veon Bell in a Jets uniform in 2019... or sooner.

Playoffs would need something outrageous to happen, we haven't got any certain top talents at all on offense yet, going 8-8 would be a massive achievement imo. Good result for me is maybe 7 wins and young guys not needing to be called young guys anymore next year.

This should be a fun year to watch, but that’s about it, as they build around Darnold.  They may even make the playoffs this year, but I don't seem them going far.  I’d say they’ll be a legitimate threat in two to three years.  But it will be nice seeing Le’Veon Bell in a Jets uniform in 2019... or sooner.

Not a hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Not a hope!
    First four games are against the Lions, Dolphins, Browns, and Jaguars.  All winnable.  Throwing Darnold to the lions is probably a good move.  And starting out 4-0 would give them momentum.  Ending with a 9-7 record would most probably put them in the playoffs.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

2lkvdxz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

Impressive start from defence but lions are horrible

df14 wrote: »
    Impressive start from defence but lions are horrible

All 3 facets of game have been great in fairness. But yeah the Lions have been dog****e

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

It's funny cos when we went 21 up, I was wondering how we could f**k it up an lose by 3!!

Lions are poor, but credit where it's due. Darnold having a great game. Himself and Enunwa seem to be on the same page. The defence is playing some great plays. Only place I'm still worried about is the OL, particularly Beachum.

Only week one, but to go to Detroit and score 48 points, so far, is fantastic. Must be Superbowl favourites now!!

I think the oline are getting on fine so far, kept Darnold relatively clean and have opened some big holes in the run game

Best Jets game I've watched in a long long time, and to think it started so badly

Well wow, didn't see any of that coming! Great recovery from Darnold after the jets-iest of starts. Defense looked good as a whole but a little worrying that we didn't get more pressure on Stafford. Delighted for Lee and Adams, big games for them imo. Both running backs looking sharp enough, Quincy did well too for his first game back. Oline looked solid 90% of the time but did have a couple of big whiffs, mainly coming from the left side, Sam's quick and he'll need to be against better rushing. Only thing that stood out in a bad way was some marshmallow coverage a couple of times.

Oh and this is what having a returner is like?!

Lions were poor enough but a big win, on the road, on your debut is nothing to be sniffed at, broke a scoring record for most points on the road at the same time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Definitely bookmarking this game's highlights for the future. Darnold was much quicker and shiftier than I expected. Excellent poise.

And, wow, did the rest of the team step up. Love those punt returns for TD's (when it's the Jets doing them, of course.) A 50+ run from scrimmage, defensive scores, long TD passes... All good. Will enjoy for a few days, then on to Miami. Squish the Fish!

It was the unexpected things last night that stood out to me:

- our line might be serviceable?
    - with Quincy back we might actually be quite talented in terms of pass catchers as a group?
    - we have a pass rush?

I'm cynical, so I'm sure it's a mirage. For sure, the Lions were terrible. But we absolutely beat their brains out in the second and third quarters. Great start.

Defense looked good as a whole but a little worrying that we didn't get more pressure on Stafford.

I thought they got plenty of pressure on Stafford, he spent a lot of the night on his ar$e

• Advertisement

It was the unexpected things last night that stood out to me:

- our line might be serviceable?
    - with Quincy back we might actually be quite talented in terms of pass catchers as a group?
    - we have a pass rush?

I'm cynical, so I'm sure it's a mirage. For sure, the Lions were terrible. But we absolutely beat their brains out in the second and third quarters. Great start.

I'd add special teams to that, they were far from the disaster I thought they were going to be. A lot less flags last night which was also nice.

Yeah they'd definitely have to put a string of those performances together before I start getting to excited!

As soon as they went 17-7 up I was just going through all the possible ways they could feck this up:o

Advertisement