Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Dec 2012....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fisherwoman

Hi everyone,

I wanted to check how long people are staying on their folic acid tablets for? My doctor said (I think) to stop taking them at week 12, did anyone else get the same advise??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

im on week 11 and my doctor told me he wants me to take another months worth. I think its because I wasn't taking them before I concived or knew I was preggo? but as far as I've read otherwise stopping after week 12 is quite normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

12 weeks seems to be the most often heard/read. I have an appointment at the last day of week 12 and am going to ask then should I continue taking it, or at least finish the pack, since there will be another 2 or 3 weeks worth in it (I also started taking it late, between week 4 and 5).

I hope this doesn't count as medical advise, it really isn't intended as such, but as far as I know it is pretty difficult to overdose with folic acid since it's water soluble, you just pee out any excess, and the tolerable upper level is at 1mg, which is far more than in the tablets (I think they all are around 400mcg). I think there is just no added bonus taking it after 12 weeks, unless recommended by a doctor of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I've just taking prenatal vitamins that contain the folic acid, will prob take it until I can stomach a balanced diet, its a bit limited at the moment the way my tummy has been, will def do it the 12 wks anyway

Only one more day until my scan....im equally excited and nervous!

Its meant to be at 9 but I was thinking of arriving a little after 8...I think the make appointments for a group of people at the same time and its first come first serve kinda deal...is that right or am I just overthinking this? haha!

• Advertisement

Rachineire wrote: »
    Only one more day until my scan....im equally excited and nervous!

Its meant to be at 9 but I was thinking of arriving a little after 8...I think the make appointments for a group of people at the same time and its first come first serve kinda deal...is that right or am I just overthinking this? haha!

This is so exciting, really happy you get to go tomorrow! I am always in favour of being at such things early (if they keep you waiting, you know it's not your fault, for starters, and you get a great idea about their efficiency and service). Just make sure the place is actually open at 8 (no problem if it is a hospital) and does not only open at 9 (which might be if it is family practise), so that you don't have to wait outside, possibly standing or, who knows, in the rain. Maybe bring food if you get there early, and defo bring water to make your bladder even fuller while you wait unless you manage to drink it all before you leave or your way. How is everyone getting on in the heat??

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

xiwang wrote: »
    This is so exciting, really happy you get to go tomorrow! I am always in favour of being at such things early (if they keep you waiting, you know it's not your fault, for starters, and you get a great idea about their efficiency and service). Just make sure the place is actually open at 8 (no problem if it is a hospital) and does not only open at 9 (which might be if it is family practise), so that you don't have to wait outside, possibly standing or, who knows, in the rain. Maybe bring food if you get there early, and defo bring water to make your bladder even fuller while you wait unless you manage to drink it all before you leave or your way. How is everyone getting on in the heat??

Good luck with the scan R, let us know how it goes! I presume everyone is bringing their partners with them if they can? I have mine on the 6th.

I've been grand enough with the heat, love having a snooze in the sun! I got a cold though so I've been lounging around the house a bit feeling sorry for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

Does everyone have their scan soon? Mines not til 22 June so it's ages away! Not sure I can wait that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭irishrose1981

just back from my baby scan all went well baby doing fine,cryd when i saw thw the baby put her/his hand up to there face now my mind can rest, it true now im pregnant yeepy have to little pics on our baby,my daughter n hubbie are so happy that things are ok now n we can rest,so girls you all have nuthing to worry about once you get ur scan n see ur baby everything else that you were worred about doesnt matter any more.

got a shock when the doc told me i was four days futher on than i tought so instead of me been 13 weeks im 13 weeks n four days so thats grand,also i askd when should i come off the folic n i was told i can come off it now if i want to so im just gonna finish this weeks pack n then on to the iron tabs if i need it which they will let me know if i need it,not due back for the next scan till sept.

• Advertisement

also i was told if u cant eat with the morning sickness drink lots of water as with this heat we have right now u'll lose alot n u n the baby need it,tnx to my hubbie for getin me the fan as i was not able to sleep with this heat we are having n with the fan in the room its helping abit,

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Delighted for you Irish rose :)

thanks jeni, i was soooo scared going into the hospital there this morning n in the end i had nuthing to worry about,all was fine,hope everyones scan is fine n you all feel better soon n ur morning sickness will pass at round 16 weeks the doc told me.

Congrats Irish rose!! I had my scan today as well- I'm the opposite of you, I'm actually further behind than what I thought! I'm a week off, Im only 11 weeks 1 day. I cried when I saw the baby as well- so relieved that there was ACTUALLY a baby in there haha! We only got to see the little bugger for about 30 seconds but that was enough :D. Baby kicked up a storm and even gave us a thumbs up that she got in a picture! So happy and relieved and just delighted! It feels so much more real now that I've seen baby! Ive got a picture of the scan here!

Our first scan!

That's great news Irishrose and Rachineire! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Congrats everybody, great time right now. I got my 1st scan today, 11 weeks exactly. Little baby kicking like crazy ... I now believe I am pregnant and am delighted to be ... even if it is a bit of a shock!! Hopefully all will go well for all of us the next few months.

I'm going to enjoy this pregnancy as its my last....

Best of luck to you all!

Congrats Cenedra!! The scans are super cool- its so weird that they are kicking and you can't feel a thing! congrats!!

I feel like I have so much more energy these last couple of days! I nearly feel like I'm back to normal- must be I'm right near the end of my first trimester! exciting stuff :) Anyone else feeling more energetic these days?

I feel like I have so much more energy these last couple of days! I nearly feel like I'm back to normal- must be I'm right near the end of my first trimester! exciting stuff :) Anyone else feeling more energetic these days?

i wish i feel like i cud sleep for weeks

i feel almost back to normal which is still freaking me out cause im only 10 weeks today...can hardly remember the horrible morning sickness feeling

• Advertisement

My energy levels are definitely going back up but it is freaking me out a wee bit too, like I feel less pregnant?? Scan next Wednesday so counting down the days!

Piper and funksoulsista I was in the EXACT same place last week! besides being tired I just felt so..NORMAL! not really what I wanted at all! But I kept hearing from all sides that its completely normal...only a small amount of women experience sickness and fatigue the entire way through and near the end of the first trimester it really tapers off. I was asking the midwives in the maternity as well and they were all saying the same thing. They told me to enjoy feeling normal as it will only last a couple of months until the bump gets big haha!
    Once I saw the baby and saw it move and ect. I was delighted and am really enjoying feeling like myself again! I hope the same goes for both of you! (and Piper my symptoms really normaled out right at 10 weeks which made me paranoid enough to google it! I would not recommend that- people post all kinds of crazy stories and old wives tales...didn't sleep good for nights!) lol

Hey girls, where can I get a private scan done? I'm going away on the 9th with a friend to Paris for a few days and I'd really like to get a scan done for peace of mind before I go, also is it expensive

Thanks guys!!!

cant wait for my scan its next thursday...Jeni, I got an early scan in the orwell clinic in rathgar, its just next door to mt carmel, it was €99 and I think it would be well worth it just so you can enjoy your trip and be happy you're pregnant :)

Scan tomorrow, nervous and excited eek!

Scan tomorrow, nervous and excited eek!

So exciting!! best of luck- its such a cool thing!!

and Piper yours is on thursday so best of luck to you as well!

Scan went great, so chuffed! its just amazing to see, makes it all so much more real. Piper good luck tomorrow!

Hiya thanks for all the good wishes, I'm so glad all the scans are going well :)

Mine was wonderful as well, he was dancing all over the place arms and legs going goodo, already he dances like his father :p

Asked the sonographer if he had a heartbeat, she just looked at me and said 'it clearly has a heartbeat'...think the maternal instinct is finally starting to kick in

LOL piper, I got a very similar response to a similar question!! To me that was like the most important question....guess the sonographer doesnt feel the same way!

Thats great that both of your scans went so well! I loved it and would love to have one like twice a month lol! Its mad that they are moving so much but you can't feel any of it!

Has anyone else had any carpal tunnel issues?? I've had it on and off....this morning woke up and my left hand was numb and a few fingers were numb all day long! I asked about it in the maternity and the midwife said that I will probably just have issues with it then whole pregnacy. Fingers crossed that it doesnt get bad!

• Advertisement

Great to hear all your scans went well! I think I might be next (Monday :) )
    [...] Has anyone else had any carpal tunnel issues?? I've had it on and off....this morning woke up and my left hand was numb and a few fingers were numb all day long! I asked about it in the maternity and the midwife said that I will probably just have issues with it then whole pregnacy. Fingers crossed that it doesnt get bad!

Fingers crossed indeed, poor thing :( I only had swollen and crampy fingers on one hand for a few weeks, but don't think this is related to the carpal tunnel. Hope you don't work in a job where you have to type a lot, or maybe you can assign some work to someone else just to give your hand(s) some rest.

I went to see my GP yesterday because I got real bad eczema over the weekend and now I am confused because she said the place where I am to have my scan is normally only for private patients. I am going public (at least this is what I said I wanted), of course I forgot to ask her to have a look in the system for me to see if there is a mistake, but now I don't know what to do on Monday.

I really want to have my 12 week appointment, but I don't want to pay for it either if I can help it - should I say something at reception or just wait and see if they ask me to pay afterwards? Any ideas?

Advertisement