Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

@StenchBlossoms I would if I could afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Are you on the dole? I'm not sure how this works but can you apply for social housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

EmilyO wrote: »
    KittyeeTrix, I hope everything turns out okay for your husband xx
    Hope you feel better soon Jane xx

Mah head hurts :( There's a Chilean dude asleep in the kitchen so I can't get some water to take a painkiller. Also, I miss my boyfriend :(
    Is this one of the flatmate's loud friends? Wake him up! Don't be intimidated out of your own kitchen!

Hope it's all okay KittyeeTrix, must be horrible just waiting and not knowing. Fingers crossed for ye.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Acoshla wrote: »
    Kitteetrix (I can't spell your new name!) hope everything's ok with your hubby xx

I keep mentally replacing it with fluffy!! Hope your husband is okay fluffy, fingers crossed for you both

I can kinda type with my right hand - repetitive strain injury of typing :o Two and a half years after being referred to an orthopaedic surgeon for the problems with my knee, I got the appointment this morning.

Everyone has said it to me how happy I look this morning - must have looked like hell yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Are you on the dole? I'm not sure how this works but can you apply for social housing?

Even if she was it would take about 6+ years to be socially housed.....Definitely not as easy as people think to get social housing.

One of my friends moms suffered 3 massive heart attacks and died yesterday in hospital. My hubby met her daughter down near the shop. the poor woman only went to A and E as she was vomiting quite a bit....................So shocking and totally unexpected:(:(

Thanks again for all the well wishes guys. spoke with him this morning and he said he felt better going into the place yesterday before he was subjected to the breakfast there this morning!! haha, he still has his sense of humour anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    @mariebeth - I don't think she's changed since then, I think it's actually way before that. The time of my leaving cert and starting college in Athlone (2006/2007) seems to stick out in my mind for some reason. She seemed to want her own way and pushed me into doing things at that time. I know I make her sound horrible but she's still my mam and I love her. I just feel like she can be hard to deal with and so hard to talk to sometimes and it gets me down.

Hugs Jane xxx. My mum can be tough at times as well, but I know she has suffered from depression for years, and I've finally figured out the best way of reacting to her moods. I'm lucky in that it doesn't happen very often anymore, but I have a small idea of what it's like to live with someone who can be like that from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Is this one of the flatmate's loud friends? Wake him up! Don't be intimidated out of your own kitchen!

This is the other housemate :rolleyes:
    I just went in there earlier, feck them. I'm pretty much ignoring them and they probably think I'm a b**** but I don't really care, I don't want them here and she had no right inviting them to stay during the exams. She only asked if it was okay last Sunday, when they were arriving on Tuesday morning. Clearly she'd arranged it all before asking us like.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick to the back teeth of this apartment. Can't wait to go home for the summer.

Jane, I know your mam is tough to live with, it must suck. If it were me I'd just leave the room the second she started kicking off about something, so she'd know I'm not standing for it. But I know it's tough when it's family, and you miss being close to her. *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Houseshare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

krudler wrote: »

Houseshare?

And wouldn't you be entitled to rent allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

And wouldn't you be entitled to rent allowance?

You need to be renting somewhere for 6 months before you can get rent allowance afaik. I think you would get full social welfare allowance if no longer living at home though.

Jane, if you're interested you could get a room in a houseshare in Laois for €40 a week, it's probably no more than you're paying your mother in rent and keep as it is. Does your bf live at home too? If so it might be nice for the two of you to have some space to yourselves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh sorry I was thinking more along the lines of rent allowance.

Good idea dolorus, was just gonna say the same myself.

How much rent are you giving your mother at the moment jane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Jane house sharing isn't too bad, it can be fun too. I was house sharing for 3 years before I got a place of my own. I was 16 when I left home and 19 when I got a place of my own. Electric is split 3 or 4 ways so isn't that expensive and rent is around 40 a week.

I'm giving my mam 50 at the moment. Ah I don't know if I can move out tbh, I am thinking about it though. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it a lot.

Got my hair done and I'm now sitting in McDonalds eating a McChicken Sandwich and reading Catching Fire. :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm giving my mam 50 at the moment. Ah I don't know if I can move out tbh, I am thinking about it though. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it a lot.
    Jane, your sanity is worth a lot, and it sounds like your family home is a bit of a toxic environment. Even if it does make things very tight financially, you would be far better off out of there.

My brother is in a similar situation with my parents at the moment, himself and my dad have the worst personality clash I have ever seen, and they argue all the time over the most stupid things. Unfortunately he refuses to cut down on booze for long enough to get a deposit together...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Thinking of you KittyeeTrix! Xx sounds like you both have a good attitude about the whole thing though. We're all here for you

Jane I'm so sorry about tough you're having it. How is she with your brother? Is he getting it as hard?
    PM is open if you want to talk love xx

Going to go take care of my poor niece and nephew for the day, she's got tonsilitis and he had on of those big freestanding basketball nets fall on him today! Thank god it fell in such a way that the bar landed between his legs, had he been any higher or lower he would have been seriously hurt or worse :eek:
    He has brusied his little man parts though and is feeling very sorry for himself poor sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

If you're already paying your Mum €50 per week in rent then you CAN afford to move out.

Jane no matter how tough it is at first, it sounds like you really need to get out of that house! My relationships with my parents improved enormously from when I moved out - we went from constant tension and fights, to being extremely close and much more respectful of each other. I think that almost all of my friends would say the same!

It's really not as simple as you all say. You don't really know what she's like.

@bubblefett she's the same with my brother. She's almost forcing him to do a course he doesn't really want to do just because he can go to and from the college on a bus everyday.

Jane it may be scary but you will be free, you can do what you want when you want, also your relationship with your mom could improve as you won't be seeing her 24/7. your not abandoning your family, you will be independent able to make your own choices...

You need to stand your ground, your a woman, an adult, make the adult choice and Look into it... You can't live under your mother thumb for the rest of your life.

I will look into it, thanks. :) I just feel sad that I have to.

Looks like I'm gonna hear nothing about the job I applied for so I could be back in college in September.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Well to put it bluntly, you have two choices.

1. Stand up to your mother like an adult and move out.

2. Stay where you are and live in misery.

Your choice. Sorry to be blunt but you're always complaining about your mother but never doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

My husband had a sharp fleeting headache over the past 2 days so I made him go to our doctor this morning.

He sent him to A and E to be checked out. They did a Cat Scan and found a golfball size growth in his brain.:(

Have to wait for an MRI tomorrow to send to Beaumont so they can determine excactly what they are dealing with......

I'm scared and tired and still have to try to study like a mad thing.

I'm praying that it is just a simple cyst that can be drained or removed and not present any longterm problems but anything with the head is scary!!

That's such a shock to get, but hopefully it'll be nothing serious and easily resolved.

And you can always defer your exams if you need/want to. I'm pretty sure this kind of thing counts as "exceptional circumstances"!

Fingers crossed all turns out well :)

I just won't mention it again then because nobody understands. I've tried time and time again to stand up to her and she twists it back and says I'm being ungrateful. Some of you probably think I am but I'm really not that kind of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

It's really not as simple as you all say. You don't really know what she's like.

Ah that's fair enough, no family relationship is black and white and we don't know all the details of your family life. I just don't think any of us like to see you upset xx
    Think about it anyway, you never know maybe if she sees you researching the possibility of moving out (maybe viewing a room or 2) it'll help her understand how unhappy you are. And who knows, you might absolutly fall in love with one of the places :)

(And may I just say, living away from home is great for the (ahem) relationship with the boyfriend ;))

I will look into it, thanks. :) I just feel sad that I have to.

r.

Don't be sad, everyone leaves home. Can't live with mammy forever.

It's great to be able to do what you want, when you want and how you want....

Think of yourself organize everything then when you can move in, drop it on her, don't tell her of your intentions or she will persuade you to stay. Just say one morning I'm moving out, I've paid the deposite you can come visit me when I'm settled, love you mom bye.

Hugs

But it shouldn't matter what she's like? You have your own life to live, no matter how she reacts or what her opinions are. It's not healthy to live in that sort of an environment.

I do understand that the initial process of you moving out will be very upsetting and difficult for both of you. But I honestly think that, once you get out of there and get a bit of perspective on the whole thing, you'll begin to see the situation the way that the rest of us do.

The way things are now, you don't seem happy at all, and it doesn't sound like she is, either. The sooner you make a change, the better, in my opinion. I really don't think it's something you'd end up regretting - if anything, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

I know, I just didn't think I'd want to move out because I was unhappy. Sorry guys I'll sort it out and I'll try not to mention it again.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I know, I just didn't think I'd want to move out because I was unhappy. Sorry guys I'll sort it out and I'll try not to mention it again.

Jane, it'll be like whipping off a plaster. The thought of it is hard at first, the process isn't necessarily easy or nice (moving and packing are fairly high up on the list of things I dread), but once it's done you'll be very relieved.

Maybe you're right. I just have to think about it a lot before I make any decisions or look into anything.

• Advertisement

Don't tell her your unhappy, tell her you moving out because your an adult and want to live like one by being independent. That she can visit you and you will still visit her, but have everything arranged before you tell her so you can't back down. Have your deposit and rent paid before you tell her.

Time to step up.... H

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement