Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Ignorant - because some people (as we have established in this thread) do find it uncomfortable to watch. They may be in the minority, but they do exist. I went to a restaurant to enjoy a meal with friends and family. I shouldn't have to witness something which I find offensive.

Absolute, complete, and utter nonsense. Please find yourself a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "ignorant".

If you find yourself uncomfortable in the presence of black people, should the restaraunt ask any black people to leave?

No they wouldn't, because they are legally obligated to protect the public from you and your backwards views.

Substitute "breastfeeding mother" for black person and you'll see what we're getting at. Sure, anyone is entitled to hold their own beliefs, even if they are backwards and nonsensical, as long as they keep them to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again; I feel sorry for you and those who have to endure your 'opinions'. Most of all though I feel sorry for your future children and the ignorance that will be forced upon them.

That a bit unfair and uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killed By Death

galwayrush wrote: »
    Is it ok for a restaurant to charge a breastfeeding woman corkage?

They could call it.....norkage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

So much flaming in this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Dudess wrote: »
    Mungbean you know perfectly well there's a difference between expressing saying in a reasonable fashion that breastfeeding in public makes you uncomfortable, and saying it's "ignorant" and shouldn't be allowed. There are people who said the former and they didn't get attacked.

Doesnt matter what the OP called ignorant its her opinion, and the opposite of that opinion is "Its not ignorant" not "your ignorant". The OP can word it whatever way she likes as she has every right to, but other posters have no right to attack her for it. Its the golden rule of the entire forum, dont attack the poster.
    There's always someone on these threads who rather pompously suggests you're not allowed a dissenting opinion on Boards. It's bollocks - and really disingenuous. And used as ammunition by bigots here. It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it - and how you put the point across ("I think that way and that's final!" doesn't cut the mustard) and people are allowed to take it apart if it's really weak and obnoxious - not simply because it's a different opinion. :rolleyes: Why do people have to resort to trotting out that bullsh1t line?

The wording in that post isnt too much different than how the OP worder hers. The only difference is where she's calling someone outside of the boards community ignorant you are calling members of the boards community pompous and bigoted.

The hypocrasy and lack of understanding of your own point of view compared to the OP and what we are talking about is the reason we are having this discussion. You think you have the right to lambaste the OP because you think she shouldnt have the right to lambaste a woman breastfeeding. While doing so you throw around words like pompous and bigot because you dont like her use of the word ignorant. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again; I feel sorry for you and those who have to endure your 'opinions'. Most of all though I feel sorry for your future children and the ignorance that will be forced upon them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ignorant - because some people (as we have established in this thread) do find it uncomfortable to watch. They may be in the minority, but they do exist. I went to a restaurant to enjoy a meal with friends and family. I shouldn't have to witness something which I find offensive.

What exactly is offensive about a baby being fed naturally? If other people having a meal offends you so much, perhaps a restaurant is a silly place for you to be going.
    I was shocked - because that is the first time I have actually witnessed a woman breast feeding in a restaurant that I can recall.

How is it "shocking"? And why were you staring at this woman? Look away, it really was none of your business.
    Time and a place - Yes I do think there should be areas introduced in Ireland where women can relax and breast feed their babies in privacy. If restaurants used to have smoking areas indoors then why can't they have areas where women can breast feed? It's not a big deal.

And can I just say I absolutely adore children and will have many of my own in the future. I won't be breast feeding them in restaurants where there might be people who are out to enjoy a nice pleasant meal without me coming along and causing offence. But hey that's just me.

It is just you and a small minority....thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a poll would be interesting here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

corktina wrote: »
    a poll would be interesting here

Ah here now, breastfeeding is one thing, but dancing and breastfeeding? That's a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

If the woman was feeding her baby right - you would'nt have seen anything to be offended about(maybe the odd smacking noise from the child enjoying lunch:rolleyes:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

MungBean wrote: »
    Mungbean you know perfectly well there's a difference between expressing saying in a reasonable fashion that breastfeeding in public makes you uncomfortable, and saying it's "ignorant" and shouldn't be allowed. There are people who said the former and they didn't get attacked.

Doesnt matter what the OP called ignorant its her opinion, and the opposite of that opinion is "Its not ignorant" not "your ignorant". The OP can word it whatever way she likes as she has every right to, but other posters have no right to attack her for it. Its the golden rule of the entire forum, dont attack the poster.
    There's always someone on these threads who rather pompously suggests you're not allowed a dissenting opinion on Boards. It's bollocks - and really disingenuous. And used as ammunition by bigots here. It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it - and how you put the point across ("I think that way and that's final!" doesn't cut the mustard) and people are allowed to take it apart if it's really weak and obnoxious - not simply because it's a different opinion. :rolleyes: Why do people have to resort to trotting out that bullsh1t line?

The wording in that post isnt too much different than how the OP worder hers. The only difference is where she's calling someone outside of the boards community ignorant you are calling members of the boards community pompous and bigoted.

The hypocrasy and lack of understanding of your own point of view compared to the OP and what we are talking about is the reason we are having this discussion. You think you have the right to lambaste the OP because you think she shouldnt have the right to lambaste a woman breastfeeding. While doing so you throw around words like pompous and bigot because you dont like her use of the word ignorant. :rolleyes:
    Oh yeah it really just boils down to me disliking her use of the word ignorant - nothing more. Strawman central.

If a person chooses to insult a woman breastfeeding and insists they should hide away to do so, they can whistle if they want people to respect their opinion. After all, others are just expressing their opinion. Difficult not to get personal really when the person gives their own personal view and seemingly feels it should be pandered to in a public place.

If a person says they personally feel uncomfortable sitting near a breastfeeding woman, that's just them and their personal take.
    I didn't call the OP a bigot, I said the "Any opinion should be respected and you just have a problem because it's different to yours" bullsh1t is used by bigots in other threads to legitimise their weak as piss arguments.
    I don't get the need for the disingenuousness. Going against the grain for the sake of it p'haps?

Lambasting the OP is due to provocation btw - what did the breastfeeding woman do to deliberately provoke the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I personally find the sight of a drunk woman offensive and repulsive but I am aware of the fact that in Ireland it is considered normal for women to go and have some good time which normally includes plenty of alcohol and the subsequent hangover. I know plenty of otherwise very nice girls who spend their Friday nights wasted and almost unrecognizable from their everyday persona so I supress my prejudice and simply go with it as a part of the local culture. So if the OP has some hang ups about seeing women breastfeeding she should either bite the bullet and look elswhere (funny enough, I have no problem sitting beside a BF woman and look into her eyes and not stare at her boobs) or avoid public places because there's a good chance she might meet with this horrific sight.

Oh yeah it really just boils down to me disliking her use of the word ignorant - nothing more. Strawman central.

Strawman me hole you said exactly that. That it was her wording of the OP and her use of the word ignorant that was the problem and if she worded it differently there wouldnt be a problem.
    If a person chooses to insult a woman breastfeeding and insists they should hide away to do so, they can whistle if they want people to respect their opinion. After all, others are just expressing their opinion. Difficult not to get personal really when the person gives their own personal view and seemingly feels it should be pandered to in a public place.

Nobody has to respect their opinion but attacking them isnt an argument. This is a discussion forum and the OP's opinion was the topic, not the OP herself.
    If a person says they personally feel uncomfortable sitting near a breastfeeding woman, that's just them and their personal take.
    I didn't call the OP a bigot, I said the "Any opinion should be respected and you just have a problem because it's different to yours" bullsh1t is used by bigots in other threads to legitimise their weak as piss arguments.
    I don't get the need for the disingenuousness. Going against the grain for the sake of it p'haps?

Its not that difficult to understand. She doesnt like breastfeeding in public, thats her opinion. Argue all you want about how wrong it is but once you decide to attack her for having it your the problem not her opinion. You cant seem to grasp that you can argue against someone's opinion without personally attacking them for having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I won't be breast feeding them in restaurants where there might be people who are out to enjoy a nice pleasant meal without me coming along and causing offence. But hey that's just me.

Please report back and let us know how you get on with that! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but what about people who find it offensive for women to have their face/hair uncovered? Should every woman in a restaurant that these people enter be forced to cover up their faces just because someone finds it offensive? Surely that's similar to what you're advocating here. If you were sitting in the restaurant yesterday and a man came up to you and said he finds your uncovered face offensive, would you then cover it up so that he could enjoy a pleasant meal with friends and family? Of course you wouldn't.
    Time and a place - Yes I do think there should be areas introduced in Ireland where women can relax and breast feed their babies in privacy. If restaurants used to have smoking areas indoors then why can't they have areas where women can breast feed? It's not a big deal.
    How about instead, every restaurant has an area where easily offended folk can relax and be offended in privacy. It's not that big a deal.

Glowing wrote: »
    I won't be breast feeding them in restaurants where there might be people who are out to enjoy a nice pleasant meal without me coming along and causing offence. But hey that's just me.

Please report back and let us know how you get on with that! :rolleyes:
    Yep, very easy when you've no kids that you'd pander to uptight people's whims when you do.

Lambasting the OP is due to provocation btw - what did the breastfeeding woman do to deliberately provoke the OP?

The problem in a nutshell !!! The fact she has an opinion and expressed it is provocation ? She provoked you into attacking her by having an opinion you didnt like.

Between the OP denouncing the woman for breastfeeding and you denouncing the OP for doing so you are the one who is more intolerant you do realise that ? The problem you have with the OP is ten times more apparent in your own opinion than hers. Your attacking yourself here basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Too many posters here are becoming personal, thats not on. Attack the post not the poster.

Please report any post you think has crossed the line.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I can't understand why anyone's offended by a woman breastfeeding.

It just makes absolutely no sense, unless you're some kind of puritan who gets freaked out at the sight of a boob.

I mean, what's the big deal? All women have boobs, they've evolved to feed babies.

As a bloke, it neither upsets, offends nor annoys me. It's just normal.

Frankly, I'd be more annoyed if it were a screaming hungry baby at the restaurant than a happily breastfed one!

The suggestions that I have heard that someone should fed their baby in the toilet is frankly just ignorant and disgusting. Would you like to eat in a public toilet?!

If someone is offended by breastfeeding, I seriously think it's they who have the problem. It's not offensive and it's not sexual to see a woman feeding a baby. It's one of the most natural things in the world, much like breathing!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

all i can say is WTF??

what planet are you from cheeky-gal??

Im gonna go ahead and guess you either have no kids or were selfish enough to formula feed yours??

(not saying everyone who FF is selfish, but they dont bash BF moms)

How about you eat all your meals from now on in your car?? Or you never leave your house in case a baby might just get hungry wherever you are?

If I was that woman and saw you staring at me while I fed my child I would have complained you and I'm sure it would have been you asked to leave the restaurant and not me :)

So how bout you go crawl back into the hole you came out of and stay there forever??

Would save moms like me alot of annoying looks and comments :)

• Advertisement

Mungbean, it is a strawman seeing as the use of the word ignorant is hardly just what I find objectionable.

Again you're ignoring pertinent points. I said if a person says they don't feel comfortable being near a breastfeeding woman, fair enough, they can't help it. Sunflower said that, Budgese said it - did they get attacked? If people think it's on a par with pooing or peeing or **** in public though, they should re-examine that as it's extremely flawed logic.
    But merely saying it makes you uncomfortable is completely different to saying breastfeeding in public is ignorant meaning rude, and "shocking" and that it shouldn't be allowed, and lying that her "rack" was out.

If the opening post was "How do people feel about breastfeeding in public? Tbh it makes me feel uncomfortable - I don't know why" etc I guarantee I'd only try to inform, I would not say they've issues etc, which I do agree is going too far.

And why don't you have a go at the mentalists who say it's selfish feminazi carry-on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I don't see the problem to be honest. I love catching an eye full of milf titty out in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Ah here now, breastfeeding is one thing, but dancing and breastfeeding? That's a bit too much.

Speak for yerself.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

The op worded the first post in a way that incited a lot of anger and in some cases outright bile. Both sides at fault there.

I'm uncomfortable if I see a baby over the age of about a year being breastfed in public. I grew up with aunts who would whip out a nipple for an older baby and they weren't as discrete about it as most women are now. One of them was breastfed till she was almost 4. This is probably where the discomfort stems from. (I myself was a child when this happened)
    A young baby being breastfed im not uncomfortable with.
    If I'm uncomfy I don't say anything, I don't make faces. I don't stare. I ignore it.

You should be allowed to admit you might not be comfortable with something if you just get on with it when that something arises.

I would never suggest they use a toilet. Go to a different room etc. it's just feeding after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Mod

Too many posters here are becoming personal, thats not on. Attack the post not the poster.

Please report any post you think has crossed the line.

Thanks

The OP was way out of order though, to call breastfeeding mums ignorant is grossly inflammatory, proof of this is that it inflammed many people, and not only breastfeeding mums but all right-minded people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

MungBean wrote: »
    No, poster offers opinion on a topic. Happens to be in contradiction of what most people think , cue stampede of ignorant comments attacking the poster and not the post.

You can be angered and challenge it all you want but you dont have to direct it at the poster. Argue your point against the topic of the OP, name calling, crys of trolling, and attacked on the OP for being "backward" is whats childish and ignorant.

The first few pages are littered with it, its still continueing unabated and as someone who disagree with the OP I find myself more disturbed by the level of hatred directed towards her than her having an opinion I disagree with. Its an AH angry mob and its rather pathetic to be honest.

Firstly, I don't hate the OP at all, but I do think she has some serious growing up to do.
    The topic was brought up by the poster, citing a personal experience and her personal feelings towards the issue. It wasn't just a general 'What do you think of brestfeeding' type thread - she was the one who told the initial story and then got upset when challenged on it. You can't insult and offend certain people in one post and then cry foul when others react in the same way.

A majority of posters disagreeing with such an opinion doesn't equal an angry mob. If someone expresses a view that offends and insults various other members of this forum (i.e: breast-feeding mums), then surely it's expected that there will be strong feelings towards her and her posts. It's very naive to think otherwise.

I don't see the problem to be honest. I love catching an eye full of milf titty out in public.
    You ain't gonna catch an eyeful when it's a breastfeeding mum as she tends to vigilantly keep them covered - don't believe the lies here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

forfuxsake wrote: »
    The OP was way out of order though, to call breastfeeding mums ignorant is grossly inflammatory, proof of this is that it inflammed many people, and not only breastfeeding mums but all right-minded people.

Two wrongs don't make a right and some of the comments were personal about the OP and were not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

forfuxsake wrote: »

Mod

Report the post if it offended you. There is no excuse for personal attacks.

If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

Maybe they were reacting to your reaction? It's the only explanation I can come up with for a roomful of supposedly half-decent people.

Bloody glad I don't have to share a meal with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement