Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

Kirby wrote: »
    If the woman in question had her breasts on display without a baby, she would be making some people uncomfortable and would probably be asked to leave. Or she could be arrested for public indecency. Why does a baby suddenly make it perfectly okay?

That's one of the most screwed up lines of reasoning I've ever had the misfortune to read. I'm embarrassed to share a country with people who are capable of forming such an opinion.

Genuinely shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Confab wrote: »
    Funny, it's usually the women who whine about mothers breastfeeding, and they can never come up with a logical excuse for their protest. I'd swear they were masturbating in public the way people go on about it.

Expert tip: If you're offended, just look away.

better rack maybe?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah right, so it pretty much means "You're disagreeing with me and better at debating than me - and I don't like it, waaaah!" :)

Well if you are good at it you can use it in a lot of different contexts but on the internet that's pretty much it's only use haha.

As for the breastfeeding I don't think I'd mind but I've never been in that situation. . . as far as I know, I am very unobservant :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

iguana wrote: »
    Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I started the thread to get a discussion going and to hear others opinions...

You are hearing other people's opinions. You just don't like the fact that most of those opinions are disgusted by yours.

That's not true at all. I haven't passed comment on anyone else's opinion.

People that have an opinion on mine are asking me repetitive questions and I'm merely replying by answering them.

You seem way more bothered by the issue itself which is fair enough , that's your opinion. :)

DonQuay1 wrote: »
    It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table -
    this is just incorrect..... it is OK to do this... the law says.
    ====================================
    No. It's NOT incorrect. Read what I wrote again.
    Its NOT OK to Breast feed at a restaurant table.
    (Legality isn't even mentioned by me). :)

The point of my post is ....

quote "Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    ......Yep - selfishness is alive and well in these type of 'wimmin' folk in Ireland. .... where their views and ideals have precedence and can trample on everyone elses." unquote

Here .... you prove my point yourself ....

Quote: because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have.

These dont f**king matter. people whose religious views (WTF), social views or hang ups relating breastfeeding should stay at home. they have no legal entitlements. and in all honesty, the wellbeing of a tiny baby, is more important than someones backward notions." Unquote

Breastfeeding women had no legal entitlements until they got them .... but that's ok now .... you have entitlements .... f*.g everyone else? Don't inconvenience your self in any way ... just presume your mores and values are more relevent than those of anyone else. Typical selfishness.

Damn, there's another level I wasn't aware of. Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Could someone explain what "on one's high horse" is? Because it looks as stupid and meaningless as PC brigade - and is never used as part of a strong argument - ever.

In some contexts it means 'Stop speaking, because you're making me look stupid'.

This may be one of those contexts. :)

Op, the woman may exercise her right to breastfeed in public under law. You may, at any time, exercise your right to look at something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Giselle wrote: »
    In some contexts it means 'Stop speaking, because you're making me look stupid'.

This may be one of those contexts. :)

Op, the woman may exercise her right to breastfeed in public under law. You may, at any time, exercise your right to look at something else.

Or leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Well, if it were I in that restaurant - I think I would be more in shock at steak eating Panda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Ever get the feeling you've seen all this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

You said that people need to calm down. That'd be passing comments on other people's opinion.

Seriously, don't ask a question if you can't understand people disagreeing with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

BackScrub wrote: »
    DonQuay1 wrote: »
    It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table -
    this is just incorrect..... it is OK to do this... the law says.
    ====================================
    No. It's NOT incorrect. Read what I wrote again.
    Its NOT OK to Breast feed at a restaurant table.
    (Legality isn't even mentioned by me). :)

The point of my post is ....

quote "Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    ......Yep - selfishness is alive and well in these type of 'wimmin' folk in Ireland. .... where their views and ideals have precedence and can trample on everyone elses." unquote

Here .... you prove my point yourself ....

Quote: because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have.

These dont f**king matter. people whose religious views (WTF), social views or hang ups relating breastfeeding should stay at home. they have no legal entitlements. and in all honesty, the wellbeing of a tiny baby, is more important than someones backward notions." Unquote

Breastfeeding women had no legal entitlements until they got them .... but that's ok now .... you have entitlements .... f*.g everyone else? Don't inconvenience your self in any way ... just presume your mores and values are more relevent than those of anyone else. Typical selfishness.

Damn, there's another level I wasn't aware of. Wow.
    That person (assuming it is a sentient human being) can't even manage the quote function though. Funny, lots of the intellectually challenged crazies on Boards seem unable to.
    Lol - "I don't like the sight of a woman breastfeeding, therefore it's universally not ok and women giving their babies food is selfish! And feeding a potentially screaming baby is analogous with taking a dump in public, puking in public, **** in public!" Very repressed. Lots of passive-aggressive :) is always a sure sign too of someone talking sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

That person (assuming it is a sentient human being) can't even manage the quote function though. Funny, lots of the intellectually challenged crazies on Boards seem unable to.
    Lol - "I don't like the sight of a woman breastfeeding, therefore it's universally not ok and women giving their babies food is selfish! And feeding a potentially screaming baby is analogous with taking a dump in public, puking in public, **** in public!" Very repressed. Lots of passive-aggressive :) is always a sure sign too of someone talking sh1t.

You know, I will say I was dubious about the possibility you made earlier that people would make the comparison to ****/taking a dump/etc in public.

I was wrong. This thread is just getting more and more depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If you inform management and staff that you are being harassed by other customers for breastfeeding in public, they have a duty to protect you from this.
    As this thread is likely to upset breastfeeding mothers. I would like to extend this a bit and ask the mods and admins to delete this thread and siteban Cheeky gal.

After thinking about this, I realised that at one point in my life I would have held the same view as the OP in all likelihood.

That view would have came from a fairly conservative, insular, sheltered upbringing where prudishness, shock and an unquestioning attitude held sway.

I thank my lucky stars I was able to leave home at 16 to make my own way in the world so that my eyes could be opened. Thankfully, I was able to challenge my own views and throw off the shackles of my upbringing and therefore come to appreciate a world of freedom and choice and the reality that people lived vastly different lives to me.

Reading a thread in an internet forum in 2012 where terms such as 'rude' and 'ignorant' are used to describe a woman breastfeeding in public has launched me right back to my 70's childhood.

That's sad, maybe the world hasn't moved on as much as I though it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

I know others have said it but this has to be a joke.

Only 10% of babies are breast fed past 6 months.

So it's hardly an issue that's going to pop up every single day and when it does just ignore it. Is it not better to see a child being cared for rather than one that's not?

The smell of some cooked fish and lamb makes me feel a bit ill. But if its on the menu at a restaurant then I just have to deal with it, its a bit harder to look away from a smell.

Living in a civilised society means we have to put up with some stuff that we don't like that other people do because its perfectly legal for them to do so. Plus it's a baby, being fed.

In the future maybe you should only attend establishments where children are not permitted or only eat out at a certain hour.

Would you be of the opinion that this woman's movements should be curtailed just in case you might be offended?

It's only a boob at the end of the day.

You know, I will say I was dubious about the possibility you made earlier that people would make the comparison to ****/taking a dump/etc in public.

I was wrong. This thread is just getting more and more depressing.
    It never fails to er... rear its head. And people who say it think they're being original - kinda like "You need a licence for a dog but not a child". Ancient cliche but some folks still think they're really sharp for saying it.
    Taking a dump/wee/puking in public are unnecessary - there's no useful purpose to doing any in public, unlike feeding a baby. They are unhygienic and the cause of unpleasant odours - breastfeeding isn't. They leave a mess, breastfeeding doesn't. There are toilets, but there are rarely breastfeeding rooms. You can breastfeed subtly, you can't pee/poo/puke subtly. What baby is involved when peeing/pooing/puking in public? And yet it's the breastfeeding women who are selfish?! :confused:

**** in public - it's unnecessary and it's indecent (the in public aspect - obviously **** itself is awesome :pac:). Doing so in front of children would be unethical. Again, there are toilets if the need is too great, but it's not a matter of necessity. It's a sexual act - some seem to think breastfeeding is too, but it's very much not. Again, where's the hungry baby involved?

Remedial stuff, but some adults seem to require it... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

OP, just out of interest, I'd love to know how old you are?

Edit: I'd be shocked if you were older than 20/22 .. if any of your siblings or friends had kids, I'd like to think you'd change your attitude in a hurry ...

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    OP, just out of interest, I'd love to know how old you are?
    Well she said (in a pretend innocent but actually passive aggressive dig way) that I must be 20/30 years older than her, which would make her aged four to 14, which seems about right. :pac:

Nah, early to mid 20s. Old enough to know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Op, I really hope someday that you give birth to really hungry triplets.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I groaned when I saw the title of this thread, but having read through the posts here, I'm quite heartened by the majority of positive attitudes towards breastfeeding.

When my son was born, I was terrified that I was going to encounter attitudes like the OPs and was very reluctant to feed in public. Is it any wonder that breastfeeding rates are so low and it is seen as very restricting for a mother in this country?

OP, I've saved you the bother of having to look up the definition of the word 'ignorant':
    1. Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
    2. Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular:

This adjective does not apply to the woman who was feeding her child....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Op if you go to any night club or anywhere, where people get dressed up to go out and enjoy themselves I can assure you, you will see more cleavage/tit then any mother has on display breast feeding their child.

Why does this argument continue to be batted the ops way? What relevance do the dress code or ethics of a nightclub have to her post? Or people going topless at a beach? If the op was to sink to a similar level with her counter argument she might as well refer to dress code at a funeral home or the school yard. If she were going for candlelight dinner down at the local swimming pool she should of course allow for the possibility of seeing fellow guests wearing bikinis and speedos.
    Disagree with her point of view on breast feeding babies in restaurants, and accuse her of being unsympathetic to mothers who feel they have no other choice but you do nothing to the discussion by comparing apples with oranges.

tempura wrote: »
    Op, I really hope someday that you give birth to really hungry triplets.

That is all.
    Hah! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Is it ok for a restaurant to charge a breastfeeding woman corkage?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

darlett wrote: »
    If she were going for candlelight dinner down at the local swimming pool she should of course allow for the possibility of seeing fellow guests wearing bikinis and speedos.

Breastfeeding an infant in a restaurant is every bit as appropriate as wearing swimwear at a swimming pool. That's why people are making the comparison. You are the one comparing apples with oranges, not the other way around.

darlett wrote: »
    cruiser178 wrote: »
    Op if you go to any night club or anywhere, where people get dressed up to go out and enjoy themselves I can assure you, you will see more cleavage/tit then any mother has on display breast feeding their child.

Why does this argument continue to be batted the ops way? What relevance do the dress code or ethics of a nightclub have to her post? Or people going topless at a beach? If the op was to sink to a similar level with her counter argument she might as well refer to dress code at a funeral home or the school yard. If she were going for candlelight dinner down at the local swimming pool she should of course allow for the possibility of seeing fellow guests wearing bikinis and speedos.
    Disagree with her point of view on breast feeding babies in restaurants, and accuse her of being unsympathetic to mothers who feel they have no other choice but you do nothing to the discussion by comparing apples with oranges.
    It's true that those are environments where it's deemed appropriate to be topless or skimpily dressed, but the OP and a handful of others are deeming it INappropriate to discreetly breastfeed in public with virtually nothing showing, when it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Entertaining thread.

I don't think the OP is troll.
    It's pretty unfair to call someone a troll just because they post an opinion which differs from yours.

However as a father of three breast-fed children I wholly disagree with the OP and the other nay-sayers. There's a number of reasons why breastfeeding rates in Ireland are so low. Attitudes like some of those posted here are among them.

DonQuay and the person who classed public breastfeeders as "militant feminists and tree huggers" - your arguments are retarded, stupid and illogical.

The rules re no personal abuse should really be relaxed for threads like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

OP: Huh?!?!?!?!?!?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

People that have an opinion on mine are asking me repetitive questions and I'm merely replying by answering them.

You seem way more bothered by the issue itself which is fair enough , that's your opinion. :)

well it's perfectly natural.
    Giving kids baby formula only really began in the 19th century.
    Up to then most if not all women had to breastfeed because it was all a baby could eat.

I've never had a problem with a woman breastfeeding. I dont see it as weird or uncomfortable. Nothing more natural than a baby eating what he/she is supposed to eat.

To my mind the people that are uncomfortable with it have the problem. I have to say though I dont personally know anyone that has a problem with it.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Entertaining thread.

I don't think the OP is troll.
    It's pretty unfair to call someone a troll just because they post an opinion which differs from yours.

However as a father of three breast-fed children I wholly disagree with the OP and the other nay-sayers. There's a number of reasons why breastfeeding rates in Ireland are so low. Attitudes like some of those posted here are among them.

DonQuay and the person who classed public breastfeeders as "militant feminists and tree huggers" - your arguments are retarded, stupid and illogical.

The rules re no personal abuse should really be relaxed for threads like these.
    To be fair, the OP was suspected of being a troll not because she merely holds a differing point of view, but because the language in her post looked like a pure wind-up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

To be fair, the OP was suspected of being a troll not because she merely holds a differing point of view, but because the language in her post looked like a pure wind-up.

And the date probably made people suspect that too.

That said I don't think she's a troll. I know someone who went to visit a new mother in her own home and asked her to go to a different room when she began breastfeeding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement