Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Medusa22 wrote: »
    IF a person believes that I shouldn't do it or that I should only do it at home then they are PERFECTLY entitled to do so! I dislike the thought of breastfeeding and I would like women to do it at home, I am allowed to be offended by something which you disagree with.

But u still haven't explained why?

I suppose u are entitled to feel how u feel but your side of the debate doesn't have any legality.

Can anyone give me an understanding of exactly what about breastfeeding is offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Of course you would immediately become homophobic, what a wonderful defence. I absolutely love a good breast with a baby hanging off it, what lesbian doesn't?

I think she was trying to find out the specific reason why it makes you so ill?

You should also be allowed to be affectionate to your partner in public with out naysayers wading in.

People are well within their rights to do legal things in public no matter how much other people are annoyed by them.

Turn a blind eye, discreetly puke whatever. Mind your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I hate the responses of "it's my opinion and I've a RIGHT to say it."
    Your opinion is wrong. It's stupid. It's illegal. It's discriminatory. And it's against nature.
    Women have been breastfeeding for ever. Genuinely, i know it's shocking to hear but yes they have. Since the start of mankind. Do you think that's long enough a time frame to realise "huh, maybe it's not so weird" :rolleyes:
    Cop on to yourselves. Grow up. Accept nature and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Mothers dont have to breast feed either. They can use a bottle

Hmm, breastfeed for the benefit of the baby or bottle feed for the benefit of some stranger who can't mind their own business. Tough choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jeez, thanks - mothers wouldn't have known that had you not pointed it out!

The whole point is: many babies don't suck a bottle teat, or there isn't always a bottle to hand - it could have unexpectedly been used up, or a woman might just prefer to feed a baby breastmilk over formula, and expressing is time-consuming and tiring with a baby to look after, and why should she express anyway just to placate uptight individuals who can look away?

There's a variety of reasons why women breastfeed in public - merely doing so to make others uncomfortable though would be far down the list, if on it at all.
    I'd suggest those who don't have a clue do a bit of research first before offering "expertise" - google is just a click away.

Not saying women who don't breastfeed are wrong btw - it doesn't work out for all women, and forcing women to breastfeed is obnoxious too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 lasser

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

your pathetic a restaurant is for eating a bf baby is doing exactly that eating are bf mothers expected to stay inside 24/7 in case someone is offended at them feeding their child when their child is hungry

your attitude makes me sick!!!

Namlub wrote: »
    Hmm, breastfeed for the benefit of the baby or bottle feed for the benefit of some stranger who can't mind their own business. Tough choice.

I think paco meant that women should have the choice of bottle or breast feeding and not that they should be forced to do one or the other.

Of course you would immediately become homophobic, what a wonderful defence. I absolutely love a good breast with a baby hanging off it, what lesbian doesn't? You find my post ignorant and I also find your post incredibly ignorant, however you demonstrated my point. You are entitled to express your opinion, as am I.
    I was taking the piss - responding to an idiotic post with an idiotic post. I an not in the slightest bit homophobic, but handy card to defend yourself with eh? On the whole, I would imagine I'm more openminded than you, given your actual breathtaking assertion that women should breastfeed at home just because you personally don't like it.
    I posted a more constructive follow-up comment, if you could reply to that when you've a chance, rather than just the ones you find easy to respond to. Ta.

Given you dislike children, you wouldn't like a baby screaming with hunger either I'm sure. But of course parents should stay at home all the time, even if in desperate need of a getaway, when they can't get a babysitter, so as not to annoy selfish people.

I think paco meant that women should have the choice of bottle or breast feeding and not that they should be forced to do one or the other.

I'm not contradicting that, but the fact breasteeding in public is a choice doesn't make it any less acceptable, and that choice shouldn't be dictated by what other people think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

For me, breastfeeding is not 'the most natural thing in the world'. I am not maternal, I dislike children who misbehave in public and I equate breastfeeding with public urination or public indecency. If a child is capable of sitting relatively quietly in a restaurant then that is fine, but I find that Irish society is very much child-oriented and if you don't like it then you are supposed to stay at home. I have no issue with family-friendly restaurants, I would just avoid them. I find the idea of breastfeeding nauseating in a restaurant, I believe that it is something private.

Dudess, you are trying to backtrack now. Of course I defend myself when someone posts something incredibly homophobic, to suggest that I am attracted to every pair of breasts that I see, you are just perpetuating a common stereotype and then to suggest that it is a handy defence card? I explained why I dislike breastfeeding and I don't feel the need to explain myself further. I mentioned that I was a lesbian because I knew that some hypocrite would comment, and you did, well done ;)

For me, breastfeeding is not 'the most natural thing in the world'. I am not maternal, I dislike children who misbehave in public and I equate breastfeeding with public urination or public indecency. If a child is capable of sitting relatively quietly in a restaurant then that is fine, but I find that Irish society is very much child-oriented and if you don't like it then you are supposed to stay at home. I have no issue with family-friendly restaurants, I would just avoid them. I find the idea of breastfeeding nauseating in a restaurant, I believe that it is something private.

Thank the lord your personal views don't even come into the equation then...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

bensweeney wrote: »
    They are both natural bodily functions. I see I use a PRIVATE area to have a piss. Women should also use a PRIVATE area when they are being relieved of bodily fluids.

You have your private area called a TOILET. In pretty much every single establishment. Name me one place where they have a private area called "BABY FEEDING AREA"

...Thats right. Nowhere does. They cater for your bodily functions, but not breastfeeding.

So, to avoid offending people who look to be offended by stupid crap I should:
    • Buy a heap of bottles
    • Buy a steriliser
    • Buy a bottle brush
    • Buy a breast pump
    • Pump for hours to get mere ounces of milk
    • Freeze in sterilised containers to use when I need.
    • Wash bottles
    • Sterilise bottles
    • Make up bottles
    • Refrigerate bottles
    • Put bottles in my bag and carry these around with me
    • Hope baby needs the feed in time before unrefrigerated milk goes off
    • Heat bottle in a teapot for 10 mins while baby is screaming its head off in a restaruant
    • Feed baby
    • Put empty bottle back in bag.
    • Put up with sour milk smell in my bag until I get home.
    • Go home, wash bottle
    • Sterilise bottle.
    ...or I could just turn into a corner, unbutton a few buttons and feed my baby straight from source with sterile, warm milk.

Look. I wont be getting more than 3 hours consecutive sleep for several months after the middle of May when my baby is born. Why the f*ck should I go to so much hassle and expense to avoid offending some gobsh!ite who thinks that the primary function of breasts is for his titalation?

Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't a child being fed by any method make you sick then?

Actually this has got nothing to do with child behaviour, you're using that as a crutch to get you're view across because you can't provide a valid reason.

Where did you get the idea that its the same as taking a pee from? Because it comes out of a body?

The bile coming out of you're mouth I'd equate to taking a dump in public though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

wow, just wow. Ive read some drivell in this tread but this tops the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lasser

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm sorry everyone but I'm with the OP on this one ignorant or not I would prefer if it did not happen in the restaurant but then again kids in restaurants tend to annoy me anyway.
    Having said that I'm sure she was discreet about it but I also think she could have gone to a private location to feed the baby or fed the baby before she went to the restaurant.

i wonder what people would say if i said i'd rather a mother who was bottle feeding go to a private place cos i don't want to see an artificial plastic teat with artificial unnatural milk in it shoved in a babies mouth?

Grand. Your very specific, personal and non universal opinion - although if you're comparing giving breast milk to a baby with public sh1tting and pissing which involve no baby, perhaps think that one through a bit more.
    But feeling uncomfortable with it - fair enough, just seriously face reality though if you think it's ok to force that view on others. You just have to put up and not look I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Your're right, a mammal feeding its offspring with its breast is hardly natural. In fact it's absurd. Everyone knows that breasts are for fondling. Breastfeeding is exactly like public urination, sometimes I'm not even sure if a woman is feeding her child or pis$ing against a wall, them being so similar.

and don't even get me started on hugs....

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

People who don't strongly encourage public boobage will should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

ck83 wrote: »
    breastfeeding is one of the most selfless things a mother can do for their baby... that opinion is just ridiculous and offensive.

Gotta disagree with the first part of your post! I don't think breastfeeding is selfless, there are many benefits for the mother also. Second part I agree with.

I think the thread is a lost cause. The OP has been given lots of information about why mothers can't plan their day to not have to breastfeed in public to inform her ignorance on the subject and she is not budging.

• Advertisement

Dudess, you are trying to backtrack now. Of course I defend myself when someone posts something incredibly homophobic, to suggest that I am attracted to every pair of breasts that I see, you are just perpetuating a common stereotype and then to suggest that it is a handy defence card? I explained why I dislike breastfeeding and I don't feel the need to explain myself further. I mentioned that I was a lesbian because I knew that some hypocrite would comment, and you did, well done ;)
    I'm not backtracking - are you a mind-reader? And do you know me? I posted that stupid comment as a response to your stupid comment that women should stay at home to breastfeed just because you personally don't like it. I mean really, it is one of the most imbecilic things I've ever read - and that's my opinion.

And what I said was not homophobic, that's just your hypersensitive interpretation. Same thing has been said to lots of guys here -is that heterophobia? But fabricate homophobia if it makes you feel better about your selfish attitude. Lol - "people should pander to me! MEEEE! even though they're protected by law..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I find the idea of breastfeeding utterly nauseating. I wouldn't be able to continue eating my meal if I saw someone breastfeeding in a restaurant. I agree with the OP, do it somewhere else. If you CHOOSE to breastfeed then do it at home. I don't want to look at it. In fact, I despise children being in restaurants at all, unless they are well behaved, but that is a rarity in this country.

Why don't you just stay at home?
    Why should people use formula just to please moronic people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Ok, it seems most of us agree at this stage it is acceptable for a woman to breast feed a baby. And so it should be.

But...where do you look?! I recently went on an extended family sort of trip and we were driving along in a people carrier, with myself in shotgun position. At one random stage I turned around to chat to people behind me. My sister in-law sat by the window holding her child and I paused for a moment to admire this beautiful scene of the babe in arms and smiled at the scene. In that instant I realised her baby was on the boob. She was been that discreet.

Smooth as you like (not)! I rotated back in my seat eloquently explaining ,"Oh sorry, I didnt realise..."

I probably do have issues (And I know the good people of AH will be quick to inform me if they think so :D )but the thoughts went like Lua Lua backflips through my mind. Did she or her husband see me looking and smiling? Did they know I was doing so because of the baby and not because Im male in my 20s seeing some boob? Would she have been ashamed that I recoiled in such a way? I didnt mean to put her in a shame by looking away-work on madame please, and I didnt mean to casually stare as if I was having a cheap perv.
    But now Im thinking if it happens at a table where Im eating, ...can I look at the baby and the boob? Should I make out I dont see it and am unaware by steely looking into the bf eyes as if I want to make out the back of her head?
    Should I stare at the lightbulb and pray for temporary blindness?

Whats that???? Act normal you say? Oh for heavens sake :o

I think if I was a lady I would carry around a baby and breastfeed it whenever this situation arises. Sorted. If you cant beat them...
    But as a male, and yes a clearly non qualified issued filled childless one at that, a big over sized pair of sunnies I reckon. HELP!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You can do that all you want, you're still wrong.

Gotta disagree with the first part of your post! I don't think breastfeeding is selfless, there are many benefits for the mother also. Second part I agree with.

I think the thread is a lost cause. The OP has been given lots of information about why mothers can't plan their day to not have to breastfeed in public to inform her ignorance on the subject and she is not budging.

I presume its hard to change the opinions of people who think that they're so self important that something that we've evolved to do shouldn't take place in front of them.

Yeah it probably is difficult to know where to look - and the mother should make allowances for that by covering the boob as much as she can. But if you're chatting to her, just look in her eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

....and I equate breastfeeding with public urination or public indecency.

Seriously?

I just can't get my head around a statement like that.

Maddest thread I've seen in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Contrary to what you seem to believe, you are not omnipotent and you cannot decide that I am simply wrong. It is your opinion that I am wrong and you are entitled to that, it is my opinion that you are a moron, in fact that you are all morons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

darlett wrote: »
    But...where do you look?

Stare at the unoccupied boob and shout "Bitty".

• Advertisement

Contrary to what you seem to believe, you are not omnipotent and you cannot decide that I am simply wrong. It is your opinion that I am wrong and you are entitled to that, it is my opinion that you are a moron, in fact that you are all morons :)

lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement