Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Contrary to what you seem to believe, you are not omnipotent and you cannot decide that I am simply wrong. It is your opinion that I am wrong and you are entitled to that, it is my opinion that you are a moron, in fact that you are all morons :)

the door is that a way ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

People who don't strongly encourage public boobage will should be banned.

Are you promoting breastfeeding or topless women?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I find that Irish society is very much child-oriented and if you don't like it then you are supposed to stay at home.

Please take your own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I presume its hard to change the opinions of people who think that they're so self important that something that we've evolved to do shouldn't take place in front of them.

I'm not a mother, never had a problem with breastfeeding. I knew the health benefits but I learned a lot from this thread about how expressing milk is not so easy and how complicated it is to carry around sterilized bottles, and how often babies get hungry. I now understand a lot better the need mothers have to breastfeed in public, I always knew they had the right.

Some people who are of the opinion its wrong have either not read the whole thread to get this information or have read it but think its false :confused:

And the OP has not made a constructive post in hours, she just keeps posting about how upset she is at people's reactions to her post. Not sure if she is reading the thread properly, or just focusing on the posts that agree with her opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Contrary to what you seem to believe, you are not omnipotent and you cannot decide that I am simply wrong. It is your opinion that I am wrong and you are entitled to that, it is my opinion that you are a moron, in fact that you are all morons :)
    So if a person says homosexuality is depraved, you will concede that because it's their opinion it's not wrong. But of course we know it is wrong and that people who say such a thing are morons. ":)" Opinions aren't sacred things not to be disputed, love, especially ones based on selfishness and being uptight.

Calling people morons because they are able to put forward well thought out and logical arguments that negate yours - oh dear, the child-hater is regressing to childhood. ":)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Banned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

tvnutz wrote: »

Now now, thats so ignorant:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Dudess wrote: »
    But if you're chatting to her, just look in her eyes!

Lol, so it is that simple then! ;) This might sound peculiar but babies are just a phenomenon I've never had in my life as the youngest child in my own family. I love the baby but before he strengthened up I was petrified of holding him in case his head rolled off in my hands. Er so Im a bit new and unused to it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I find the idea of breastfeeding utterly nauseating. I wouldn't be able to continue eating my meal if I saw someone breastfeeding in a restaurant. I agree with the OP, do it somewhere else. If you CHOOSE to breastfeed then do it at home. I don't want to look at it. In fact, I despise children being in restaurants at all, unless they are well behaved, but that is a rarity in this country.

Where the f*ck is Perseus when we need him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

bensweeney wrote: »
    What does that matter? they both involve exposing yourself. Breast feed in a private area like I piss in a private area. Thats my view on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77774968&postcount=10

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

darlett wrote: »
    Lol, so it is that simple then! ;) This might sound peculiar but babies are just a phenomenon I've never had in my life as the youngest child in my own family. I love the baby but before he strengthened up I was petrified of holding him in case his head rolled off in my hands. Er so Im a bit new and unused to it all!

I fcuking hate it when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

For me, breastfeeding is not 'the most natural thing in the world'. I am not maternal, I dislike children who misbehave in public and I equate breastfeeding with public urination or public indecency. If a child is capable of sitting relatively quietly in a restaurant then that is fine, but I find that Irish society is very much child-oriented and if you don't like it then you are supposed to stay at home. I have no issue with family-friendly restaurants, I would just avoid them. I find the idea of breastfeeding nauseating in a restaurant, I believe that it is something private.

I've read some bilge in my time, but you're so full of intolerance, it's staggering.

It's a wonder you ever leave your house at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Didn't realise people weren't entitled to their own opinion on Boards.

Some of you would want to relax. Especially you Dudess with the foul language.

Breast feed elsewhere, not a restaurant.

Easy mistake to make. Unless your stating the obvious, thanks whoring or attacking someone your opinion is not wanted in AH's it seems. I disagree entirely with the OP and I think there is nothing wrong with feeding a child in public btw.

But the reaction of people to your OP is worse than the reaction of people to the woman breastfeeding her child. Over the top childish and extremely ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Thought you aren't allow to eat food in a restaurant that's not from the restaurant. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

MungBean wrote: »

But the reaction of people to your OP is worse than the reaction of people to the woman breastfeeding her child. Over the top childish and extremely ignorant.

Childish woman calls a mother breast-feeding her baby ignorant, looks for opinions, gets opinions and all of a sudden it's us who are in the wrong....ok.

I'm genuinely angered by such backward views and will continue to challenge anyone who holds them. If that makes me childish and ignorant, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Childish woman calls a mother breast-feeding her baby ignorant, looks for opinions, gets opinions and all of a sudden it's us who are in the wrong....ok.

I'm genuinely angered by such backward views and will continue to challenge anyone who holds them. If that makes me childish and ignorant, so be it.

No, poster offers opinion on a topic. Happens to be in contradiction of what most people think , cue stampede of ignorant comments attacking the poster and not the post.

You can be angered and challenge it all you want but you dont have to direct it at the poster. Argue your point against the topic of the OP, name calling, crys of trolling, and attacked on the OP for being "backward" is whats childish and ignorant.

The first few pages are littered with it, its still continueing unabated and as someone who disagree with the OP I find myself more disturbed by the level of hatred directed towards her than her having an opinion I disagree with. Its an AH angry mob and its rather pathetic to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

well im a mother who breastfed her child in public and there is no way you would be catching me hiding in my car or in the toilets to feed her.

If someone was to say anything to this women about feeding her child on their premises then they are obliged by law to protect her and to ensure that she is not harrassed by any other customer.

You are the one that would be asked to leave not the breastfeeding mother.

If you had seen a couple kissing or holding hands in the same place would you have been disgusted by that and expected them to wait until they were in their own house before doing it. I doubt it and I also bet you would have been annoyed if that womans baby had been roaring to eat while you were eating to.

People of this country need to wake up to the fact that breastfeeding in not something that needs to be hidden away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

1850 715 815

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

MungBean wrote: »
    No, poster offers opinion on a topic. Happens to be in contradiction of what most people think , cue stampede of ignorant comments attacking the poster and not the post.

You can be angered and challenge it all you want but you dont have to direct it at the poster. Argue your point against the topic of the OP, name calling, crys of trolling, and attacked on the OP for being "backward" is whats childish and ignorant.

I'm not talking about you or anyone in particular but the first few pages are littered with it and as someone who disagree with the OP I find myself more disturbed by the level of hatred directed towards her than her having an opinion I disagree with. Its an AH angry mob and its rather pathetic to be honest.

OP offered more than an opinion in fairness...using words like "ignorant", "shocked", "there is a time and place" is inflaming and verging on trolling.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    OP offered more than an opinion in fairness...using words like "ignorant", "shocked", "there is a time and place" is inflaming and verging on trolling.

I really do not think she was trolling, like I said all ready she could have worded it a bit better. I think she might have thought this is AH's it will be a laugh(apologises if this is incorrect op).

hondasam wrote: »
    Babies do not just get hungry,mothers have a good idea when the next feed is due and plan accordingly. If the mother had just got to the restaurant she would have known the baby was due a feed.
    Maybe she could have tried to give the baby a drink from a bottle first, maybe she did try this I dunno.

Im sorry to say that a breastfed baby does not run on a scheldule and honestly a lot of bottlefed babies dont either so it is not that easy to work your day around a baby's feeding times and she should not have to either.

If more places had proper changings rooms that you could actually sit and fed your child in that maybe she would go there but honestly there are not very many while I was feeding my daughter I only found one place that had a half descent changing that you could go and sit.

But as has been said when you breastfed you are protected by law and can whip them out where ever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

hondasam wrote: »
    I really do not think she was trolling, like I said all ready she could have worded it a bit better. I think she might have thought this is AH's it will be a laugh(apologises if this is incorrect op).

Calling a woman "ignorant" for breastfeeding her child in a place where she is legally entitled to do so is well out of order.

Mungbean you know perfectly well there's a difference between expressing saying in a reasonable fashion that breastfeeding in public makes you uncomfortable, and saying it's "ignorant" and shouldn't be allowed. There are people who said the former and they didn't get attacked.

There's always someone on these threads who rather pompously suggests you're not allowed a dissenting opinion on Boards. It's bollocks - and really disingenuous. And used as ammunition by bigots here. It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it - and how you put the point across ("I think that way and that's final!" doesn't cut the mustard) and people are allowed to take it apart if it's really weak and obnoxious - not simply because it's a different opinion. :rolleyes: Why do people have to resort to trotting out that bullsh1t line?

Calling a woman "ignorant" for breastfeeding her child in a place where she is legally entitled to do so is well out of order.

Yes it is but the legality of does not come into it really, it would be rude regardless.

That unreal, i would of complained to the Manager.

If you would conplain to the manager then you could be asked to leave not the mother and her baby. They have a legal obligation to protect her from discrimination and harrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

No it is not. You are just looking for an argument.

As someone said attack the post and not the poster.

I'm surprised anyone has the courage to post on this forum if this is the manner you all voice your opinions.

I'm no longer going to post in this thread as no doubt I will continue to be attacked. I stand strong on my opinion. Apologies if that offends mothers out there, call it a sheltered upbringing or whatever you wish, but that's how I feel.

Apologies if I worded the OP wrongly, I did not mean to cause offence. I'll clear a few things up before I leave this thread. I found it...

Ignorant - because some people (as we have established in this thread) do find it uncomfortable to watch. They may be in the minority, but they do exist. I went to a restaurant to enjoy a meal with friends and family. I shouldn't have to witness something which I find offensive.

I was shocked - because that is the first time I have actually witnessed a woman breast feeding in a restaurant that I can recall.

Time and a place - Yes I do think there should be areas introduced in Ireland where women can relax and breast feed their babies in privacy. If restaurants used to have smoking areas indoors then why can't they have areas where women can breast feed? It's not a big deal.

And can I just say I absolutely adore children and will have many of my own in the future. I won't be breast feeding them in restaurants where there might be people who are out to enjoy a nice pleasant meal without me coming along and causing offence. But hey that's just me.

Was in a busy bar today and a gay couple at the table next to us started kissing. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a bar while people are eating/drinking?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

Anyone who takes this apart is being mean and not allowing a dissenting opinion on Boards.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ignorant - because some people (as we have established in this thread) do find it uncomfortable to watch. They may be in the minority, but they do exist. I went to a restaurant to enjoy a meal with friends and family. I shouldn't have to witness something which I find offensive.

I was shocked - because that is the first time I have actually witnessed a woman breast feeding in a restaurant that I can recall.

The fact that you find it ignorant & offensive is your own problem.

Quite frankly, I'm not surprised you've got a hard time of it in this thread when all you have been doing is failing badly at trying to defend your own insecurities around something that you have a very odd hang-up about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

No it is not. You are just looking for an argument.

As someone said attack the post and not the poster.

I'm surprised anyone has the courage to post on this forum if this is the manner you all voice your opinions.

I'm no longer going to post in this thread as no doubt I will continue to be attacked. I stand strong on my opinion. Apologies if that offends mothers out there, call it a sheltered upbringing or whatever you wish, but that's how I feel.

Apologies if I worded the OP wrongly, I did not mean to cause offence. I'll clear a few things up before I leave this thread. I found it...

Time and a place - Yes I do think there should be areas introduced in Ireland where women can relax and breast feed their babies in privacy. If restaurants used to have smoking areas indoors then why can't they have areas where women can breast feed? It's not a big deal.

And can I just say I absolutely adore children and will have many of my own in the future. I won't be breast feeding them in restaurants where there might be people who are out to enjoy a nice pleasant meal without me coming along and causing offence. But hey that's just me.

I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again; I feel sorry for you and those who have to endure your 'opinions'. Most of all though I feel sorry for your future children and the ignorance that will be forced upon them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement