Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

guys, can we please discuss the topic and not the person. I personally absolutely disagree with what the OP said but don't want to see the thread going personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Dudess wrote: »
    Mungbean, it is a strawman seeing as the use of the word ignorant is hardly just what I find objectionable.

You said your issue was because of how they worded their post and the fact they called the woman ignorant. Thats whats you said, I have already quoted you as saying it. The issue we are discussing is the attacking of the OP not whether breastfeeding is ok or not. So its not a strawman its a fact. Your issue lies with how she worded her post, mainly with her calling the woman ignorant. You even reiterate your issue in the next paragraph, theres no strawman here :confused:
    Again you're ignoring pertinent points. I said if a person says they don't feel comfortable being near a breastfeeding woman, fair enough, they can't help it. Sunflower said that, Budgese said it - did they get attacked? If people think it's on a par with pooing or peeing or **** in public though, they should re-examine that as it's extremely flawed logic.
    That is completely different to saying breastfeeding in public is ignorant meaning rude, and "shocking" and that it shouldn't be allowed.

Most people are not arguing logic though they are attacking, you take issue with the OP for "attacking" the woman by calling her ignorant yet you yourself base your argument on attacking the OP. Your not making any pertinent points just ignoring mine. You take issue with the OP attacking the woman because she disagrees with what she's doing and your response is to attack her because you dont like what she's saying. Your displaying in your argument what you take issue with in hers. But its more vitriolic in yours. Just because your responding to the OP doesnt make your post any more relevant than her response to the breastfeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    The op worded the first post in a way that incited a lot of anger and in some cases outright bile. Both sides at fault there.

I'm uncomfortable if I see a baby over the age of about a year being breastfed in public. I grew up with aunts who would whip out a nipple for an older baby and they weren't as discrete about it as most women are now. One of them was breastfed till she was almost 4. This is probably where the discomfort stems from. (I myself was a child when this happened)
    A young baby being breastfed im not uncomfortable with.
    If I'm uncomfy I don't say anything, I don't make faces. I don't stare. I ignore it.

You should be allowed to admit you might not be comfortable with something if you just get on with it when that something arises.

I would never suggest they use a toilet. Go to a different room etc. it's just feeding after all.
    Well I wouldn't be comfortable with a breastfeeding woman making no effort to cover her boobs, and I find breastfeeding of a child past nursing age pretty weird, but if it's legal I don't have a right to say it shouldn't be allowed, and in fairness, when it's in public, the chances of breast exposure, bar the essential bit, is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Once a child is able to chew food, it shouldn't be on the boob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Definitely when they start asking for it you know it's time to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Firstly, I don't hate the OP at all, but I do think she has some serious growing up to do.
    The topic was brought up by the poster, citing a personal experience and her personal feelings towards the issue. It wasn't just a general 'What do you think of brestfeeding' type thread - she was the one who told the initial story and then got upset when challenged on it. You can't insult and offend certain people in one post and then cry foul when others react in the same way.

Posters are encouraged to offer their own view when starting a thread. The fact that she did so doesnt open her to personal attacks. She was attacked from the start, and didnt initially deliberately offend or insult anyone else on the forum. People took issue with her opinion and attacked her. Its clear as day and theres no defending that.
    A majority of posters disagreeing with such an opinion doesn't equal an angry mob. If someone expresses a view that offends and insults various other members of this forum (i.e: breast-feeding mums), then surely it's expected that there will be strong feelings towards her and her posts. It's very naive to think otherwise.

A majority of posters attacking the OP for saying something they disagree with is an angry mob. Look at the thanks on insults on the first page.

And there is a huge huge difference between being offended and being insulted. You cant just attack and insult someone because you feel offended by their opinion, thinking you can or that strong feelings make it acceptable is the real naivety.

Once a child is able to chew food, it shouldn't be on the boob.
    why? even the formula fed babies get their bottles when they know how to chew because they need to supplement their nutrition.

haminka wrote: »
    why? even the formula fed babies get their bottles when they know how to chew because they need to supplement their nutrition.

I still supplement my diet by drinking milk, doesn't mean I need to be supping on me ma.

Once they can drink from a cup they do not need bottles.

I think Micky was joking. could be wrong.

I still supplement my diet by drinking milk, doesn't mean I need to be supping on me ma.

ffs micky, are you drunk :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Contrary to what you seem to believe, you are not omnipotent and you cannot decide that I am simply wrong. It is your opinion that I am wrong and you are entitled to that, it is my opinion that you are a moron, in fact that you are all morons :)

Go look up the difference between subjective and objective. You can only have a valid opinion on an objective matter. When a matter is subjective there is no room for opinion as it is just facts. If you have the opinion that my dog is a cat everyone would tell you that you are stupid, because a dog is a dog and most certainly not a cat. Breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world, that is as much a fact as a dog is a dog. If 'for you' breastfeeding is not natural then you are trying to insist a fact isn't so because you don't like it. You are basically saying 'for me, that dog is a cat' and as a result everyone is telling you you are wrong. Not because they disagree with your valid opinion but because your opinion isn't remotely valid, it is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Sorry to disappoint lads but a child has the ability to breast feed until their adult teeth start to come in, so around the age of 6/7

Sorry to disappoint lads but a child has the ability to breast feed until their adult teeth start to come in, so around the age of 6/7

who would breastfeed a child that age or give it a bottle for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

hondasam wrote: »
    who would breastfeed a child that age or give it a bottle for that matter.

People living in third world countries for a start

iguana wrote: »
    Medusa22 wrote: »
    Contrary to what you seem to believe, you are not omnipotent and you cannot decide that I am simply wrong. It is your opinion that I am wrong and you are entitled to that, it is my opinion that you are a moron, in fact that you are all morons :)

Go look up the difference between subjective and objective. You can only have a valid opinion on an objective matter. When a matter is subjective there is no room for opinion as it is just facts. If you have the opinion that my dog is a cat everyone would tell you that you are stupid, because a dog is a dog and most certainly not a cat. Breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world, that is as much a fact as a dog is a dog. If 'for you' breastfeeding is not natural then you are trying to insist a fact isn't so because you don't like it. You are basically saying 'for me, that dog is a cat' and as a result everyone is telling you you are wrong. Not because they disagree with your valid opinion but because your opinion isn't remotely valid, it is just wrong.
    Amen Iguana. Some people here really need to learn what an opinion is. It's a subjective view that's neither right nor wrong, it's not a "feeling" people have based on their own misguided notions and assumptions. "IMO" is used as a get-out clause for loads of bollocks - I've even seen "Gay people are only looking for attention IMO". Wtf does opinion have to do with it? It's either a fact or it isn't - and it isn't. :)

oh, so you're still a baby :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

What's next, it's OK for a fella to get a blowjob in a restaurant?

"Oh, i'm just with my girlfriend there, we're just doing what nature tells us. Excuse me that I have one of my dick out."

There were other families in that restuaurnt. Next time you're in a restaurant with your little child/children, be OK when the women next table to you feed her child through the breast. Don't come onto boards and click thanks.

oh, so you're still a baby :cool:

I can be :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

wimmins got breasts and nipples, the nipples excrete milk which is good for new borns

get over it, its 2012 not 1975

Yes, that's "next" - clearly a logical step after breastfeeding.
    "Oh, i'm just with my girlfriend there, we're just doing what nature tells us. Excuse me that I have one of my dick out."
    It's a change from the pissing, pooing, **** comparisons I'll give you that.

So... what aspect of getting blown in a restaurant is comparable to feeding a hungry baby? Do you have to get blown in a restaurant in order to stop a baby from screaming with hunger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Breastfeeding is not for the purpose of sexual gratification, therefore your analogy means shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Dudess wrote: »
    Amen Iguana. Some people here really need to learn what an opinion is. It's a subjective view that's neither right nor wrong, it's not a "feeling" people have based on their own misguided notions and assumptions. "IMO" is used as a get-out clause for loads of bollocks - I've even seen "Gay people are only looking for attention IMO". Wtf does opinion have to do with it? It's either a fact or it isn't - and it isn't. :)

What is your point Dudess?

People do not have a right to have an opinion on this topic?

Smoking in restaurants used to be legal. Some non smokers didn't like it but they had to endure it. They still have a right to say they didn't like it. Now look, people have to smoke outdoors.

What gives you the right to control people?

The whole "it's natural" excuse is a load of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

MungBean wrote: »
    Posters are encouraged to offer their own view when starting a thread. The fact that she did so doesnt open her to personal attacks. She was attacked from the start, and didnt initially deliberately offend or insult anyone else on the forum. People took issue with her opinion and attacked her. Its clear as day and theres no defending that.

There's no defending ignorant views, either. If I started a thread saying " I saw a black and a white person kissing in a restaurant today. I thought it was ignorant and was shocked", people would have every right to challenge me on it.
    If I started a thread saying "I saw a physically handicapped person person in a restaurant today and it was so ignorant and shocked everyone around me" People would have every right to challenge me on it. How do you think those responses should be worded exactly>

A majority of posters attacking the OP for saying something they disagree with is an angry mob. Look at the thanks on insults on the first page.

And there is a huge huge difference between being offended and being insulted. You cant just attack and insult someone because you feel offended by their opinion, thinking you can or that strong feelings make it acceptable is the real naivety.

On the first page the responses were:
    Don't see what the big deal is.
    (132 thanks)
    Why is something that's so fundamentally natural so horrific? What is so 'ignorant' about a woman using her own body to feed her baby? Why do you find this so shocking?
    (128 thanks)
    Baby needs food. Breasts give food (to babies).
    (59 thanks)
    Just turn around and don't look so
    (47 thanks)
    Grow the FUK up!!!
    (133 thanks)

and ..
    I'll take the ban if it comes, as it will be worth it.

You're a moron. You mentioned ignorance in your post. It certainly wasnt the mother who was guilty of this. Thankfully there arent too many around like you.
    (100 thanks) - this poster was duly banned.

Only 2 of those responses could be deemed in any way personally insulting, however none more so than being called ignorant for daring to feed your infant child in a restaurant.
    People have the right to thank a post as many times as they like, doesn't equate to an attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Namlub wrote: »
    Breastfeeding is not for the purpose of sexual gratification, therefore your analogy means shit.

No, a woman has her breast out, and before her baby took to her breast, her nipples were visible.

Excuse me, but I do not consider this proper conduct in a family area. The breast of a woman is private.

Exactly.

Oh and comparing breastfeeding to smoking is beyond weak.

There were other families in that restuaurnt. Next time you're in a restaurant with your little child/children, be OK when the women next table to you feed her child through the breast. Don't come onto boards and click thanks.
    Is English not your first language?

But anyway, er... the baby being breastfed is also a "little child" - women breastfeed in front of their other children at home, and more likely to have her breast exposed then. In a restaurant she'll cover it up. Really, what's your point? is discreet breastfeeding actually that sexual to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

No, a woman has her breast out, and before her baby took to her breast, her nipples were visible.

Excuse me, but I do not consider this proper conduct in a family area. The breast of a woman is private.

Jesus - Ireland really would be a backward country if everyone thought as you do!!!!!!

How do you feel about the breasts of a man:rolleyes:

Tough titties. If you're offended, don't look, or go somewhere else. THE LAW IS 100% CLEAR ON THIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Comparing breastfeeding to smoking is beyond weak.

How James?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's what you have been trying to do. First off you call women breastfeeding in public ignorant. Then you moan because almost nobody agrees with you. In both cases you are trying to exert control over others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement