Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    How James?

Do I need to start quoting from the dictionary?

Breastfeeding is good for the person doing it, and does not harm others (outside of whatever bizarre, backwards, victorian, illogical psychological issues they may have).

Smoking is bad for the person doing it, and harms others.

Now is there anything else you would like to be wrong about or are we done here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Dudess wrote: »
    Is English not your first language?

But anyway, er... the baby being breastfed is also a "little child" - women breastfeed in front of their other children at home, and more likely to have her breast exposed then. In a restaurant she'll cover it up. Really, what's your point? is discreet breastfeeding actually that sexual to you?

I never said sexual in the term of breastfeeding. But a womans breast/fuc*ing tits/rack or whatever is considered to be a sexual part.

"In a restuarant she'll cover it up."

I'm sorry pal, but before she puts the child to her breast her nipples are out for the whole restaurant to see and went she is finish breast feeding her nipples are out.

Anyway, let the next breastfeeding mother do this when there are Gardaí around, lets see what will happen then. If you think breastfeeding in a public restuarant is OK, I don't know what to say. As the OP said, the whole restaurant was uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

My God, this has just gone from bad to worse. I think it's fair to say there will be no agreement or mind changes here.

Such a shame people feel this way even though clearly people are entitled to their feelings thank God these are minority opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The whole "it's natural" excuse is a load of BS.

The whole point of this thread has been completely lost on you, hasn't it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

any chance to get this thread locked? jumped the shark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

No, a woman has her breast out, and before her baby took to her breast, her nipples were visible.

Excuse me, but I do not consider this proper conduct in a family area. The breast of a woman is private.
    You'd have to be staring pretty bloody carefully at a woman's breast to catch a glimpse of nip before the baby takes to it; that doesn't sound like proper conduct to me.

Also, you haven't actually addressed my point. At all.

Tough titties. If you're offended, don't look, or go somewhere else. THE LAW IS 100% CLEAR ON THIS.

Go somewhere else? I will in my hole.

I'd ask the women politely once to stop what she is doing, then if she refuses i'll be up to management with a complaint.

(while all the other customers in the restuarant have to go through the incident, as the OP described.)
    I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Amen Iguana. Some people here really need to learn what an opinion is. It's a subjective view that's neither right nor wrong, it's not a "feeling" people have based on their own misguided notions and assumptions. "IMO" is used as a get-out clause for loads of bollocks - I've even seen "Gay people are only looking for attention IMO". Wtf does opinion have to do with it? It's either a fact or it isn't - and it isn't. :)

What is your point Dudess?

People do not have a right to have an opinion on this topic?
    no, that's not my point - but pretend it is if you must.
    Smoking in restaurants used to be legal. Some non smokers didn't like it but they had to endure it. They still have a right to say they didn't like it. Now look, people have to smoke outdoors.

What gives you the right to control people?

The whole "it's natural" excuse is a load of BS.[/Quote]
    I guess "it's natural" won't cut the mustard as long as there are people who'll laughably draw an analogy between it and fellatio :D so forget that one and concentrate on the main one: the baby needs to be fed (the numerous reasons for breast over bottle have been explained), the woman is legally entitled to do it in public, there aren't breastfeeding rooms in the vast majority of places, nobody should feel forced to placate uptight people when it's a matter if their child being fed (the same objectors would also have a hussy fit over a screaming baby) and the uptight people can look away. In their defence, I do think breastfeeding mothers should keep their boob covered as much as possible - but they usually do.

Smoking comparison - yet another phail. There are no fumes from breastfeeding that poison people's lungs.
    Lol at you saying those who object to you wanting public breastfeeding banned are trying to control you. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Anyway, let the next breastfeeding mother do this when there are Gardaí around, lets see what will happen then. If you think breastfeeding in a public restuarant is OK, I don't know what to say. As the OP said, the whole restaurant was uncomfortable.

WTF? Breastfeeding in public is completely and utterly legal. So much so that it is illegal to harass her in any way and any public premises which does not protect her from such harassment will be fined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I think the OP has a point.

Maybe restaurants should be made provide a special area. Somewhere out of the way away from other people. All the intolerant, petty and small minded idiots could sit in there while the rest of us get on with minding our own business and enjoying our food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

IAnyway, let the next breastfeeding mother do this when there are Gardaí around, lets see what will happen then. If you think breastfeeding in a public restuarant is OK, I don't know what to say. As the OP said, the whole restaurant was uncomfortable.

They have a law in Ireland against breastfeeding? First I knew about it.

I'd ask the women politely once to stop what she is doing, then if she refuses i'll be up to management with a complaint.

And before you get a chance to complain to the management the will be legally obliged to insist you leave the premises because you would have just broken the law.

I never said sexual in the term of breastfeeding. But a womans breast/fuc*ing tits/rack or whatever is considered to be a sexual part.

By you. You seem to think the sole purpose of a breast is for sexual purposes :confused:
    Anyway, let the next breastfeeding mother do this when there are Gardaí around, lets see what will happen then.

Do you seriously believe breast feeding is against the law :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

(while all the other customers in the restuarant have to go through the incident, as the OP described.)

And then you'll walk away humiliated when the manager asks you to leave for making a scene.

iguana wrote: »
    WTF? Breastfeeding in public is completely and utterly legal. So much so that it is illegal to harass her in any way and any public premises which does not protect her from such harassment will be fined.

Regards bolded part, many other laws are legal which shouldn't completely be, but that is only the theory side. You have to address the practical side too.

If an RTE interview was live on air and a woman was behind the reporter, sitting on the steps breastfeeding, what do you think would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It is against the law to harrass, intimidate or discriminate against a breastfeeding mother. A restaraunt/bar/whatever owner cannot ask her to leave either on their behalf or on behalf of another patron. I think you'll find the gardai would be more interested in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

stimpson wrote: »
    I think the OP has a point.

Maybe restaurants should be made provide a special area. Somewhere out of the way away from other people. All the intolerant, petty and small minded idiots could sit in there while the rest of us get on with minding our own business and enjoying our food.

Even better have a big glass window - I'd love to flash those small minded 'ignorant' feckers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Lol at you saying those who object to you wanting public breastfeeding banned are trying to control you. :D

Did I say this? No I didn't.

My point on smoking was some people have a problem with it in restaurants, others don't. Same applies to mothers breast feeding in restaurants I'm afraid. I'm paying to eat, anything beyond that is irrelevant.

Never said it was wrong. I said I find it ignorant as I don't feel comfortable with it.

Now will you please respect my opinion and move on as I have respected yours and have well and truly moved on.

Madam wrote: »
    They have a law in Ireland against breastfeeding? First I knew about it.

Ever search up about "breastfeeding in a public place".

There is indecent exposure as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Regards bolded part, many other laws are legal which shouldn't completely be, but that is only the theory side. You have to address the practical side too.

If an RTE interview was live on air and a woman was behind the reporter, sitting on the steps breastfeeding, what do you think would happen?

Some people with your minority view would be offended. Very little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Eh nothing.....

By law its allowed. If you complained to them.... You'd be in the wrong.

The exact wording is in here somewhere but if you complain its your own um.. though ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is English not your first language?

But anyway, er... the baby being breastfed is also a "little child" - women breastfeed in front of their other children at home, and more likely to have her breast exposed then. In a restaurant she'll cover it up. Really, what's your point? is discreet breastfeeding actually that sexual to you?

"In a restuarant she'll cover it up."

I'm sorry pal, but before she puts the child to her breast her nipples are out for the whole restaurant to see and went she is finish breast feeding her nipples are out.

Haha, it just gets better! Its legal for a woman to breastfeed in public, and illegal to discriminate against her doing so.

The fact you bring the GUARDS into it and make the point that breasts are sexual (yes, but in entirely different contexts) just shows you view it as dirty and obscene - bless ya. No her nipples won't be out - it's one breast she uses and she can easily cover it while getting the nipple out.

And I'm most certainly not your pal.

As mentioned previously, legislation has been specifically created to protect breatfeeding infants and mothers from people like you. If you were to harass them in any way, the management would be legally obligated to prevent you from interfering with her right to feed her child.

Yes, the practical side of protecting women from harassment by selfish idiots.

Nothing. They are live on air and a professional reporter doesn't let what is happening in the background interfere with their report unless the thing happening in the background is related to what they are reporting on.

The world would end....baby Jesus would cry...

I dunno, you tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭trick

And what do you propose the Gardaí will do?
    Maybe you don't know but if you had read the whole thread you would.
    It is ILLEGAL to prevent a woman from breastfeeding ANYWHERE

Also how does the op know that THE WHOLE restaurant was uncomfortable? Did she go around & query everyone. It is impossible to know how someone is feeling just by a look on their face.

I am not a mother but I saw a lady breastfeeding in a restaurant I was in a few months back {I was off to use the facilities I didn't seek her out}. When I saw that she was breastfeeding my eyes widened not because I was shocked but because I thought it was so wonderful to see & when I got back from the facilities the baby was in a nice BM induced sleep so mammy could eat her meal. This was a packed restaurant & I didn't see anyone batt an eyelid at this lady.

If op saw me she may have thought my widened eye expression was shock when in fact it was something totally different. I would love to know how she thought everyone in the restaurant was shocked without physically asking them :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

some gombeen would start dancing in front of the camera so his mammy could see him?

It is against the law to harrass, intimidate or discriminate against a breastfeeding mother. A restaraunt/bar/whatever owner cannot ask her to leave either on their behalf or on behalf of another patron. I think you'll find the gardai would be more interested in you.

Oh yes, and let the people eating in the resturant have to put up with these obnoxious mother who wouldn't take the time to go home to breastfeed.

As the OP said, all the people in the restaurant where shocked. The Mother upset the whole restaurant.

Don't mention me, I never saw a Mother breastfeed in a restaurant, nor will I hope I ever will.

What's next, breastfeeding at bus stops? Ah shure it's not against the law, so it's completely OK to do it.

• Advertisement

I said I find it ignorant as I don't feel comfortable with it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement