Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I'm watching a wedding video on YouTube here on this laptop. We are with UPC and often watch stuff on YouTube through the tv. However, if I turn on the TV (Sony Bravia) and go to the YouTube function I cannot see this video (but I can see the other wedding from the same uploader). Why is this/How can I resolve this?

Grma/Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Seanchai wrote: »
    I'm watching a wedding video on YouTube here on this laptop. We are with UPC and often watch stuff on YouTube through the tv. However, if I turn on the TV (Sony Bravia) and go to the YouTube function I cannot see this video (but I can see the other wedding from the same uploader). Why is this/How can I resolve this?

Grma/Thanks.

This forum is for cable TV issues and this thread for UPC On-Demand in particular. You might be better off asking that particular question in Home Entertainment .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I have a UPC box
    In regard to on demand on UPC and RTE player. Up until 3 weeks ago I could watch home and away on on demand

Now it is not there at all

Has home and away been removed from UPC on demand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Sister was complaining about that the other day,must be some sort of rights issue.

The RTE/TV3/TG4 players are a waste of time,nothing of any interest on them,just lots of Nuacht and Nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

hi havent gone in to the movie section in a good few months but noticed its an awful lot smaller compared to last year. why is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Can anyone tell me if movies on demand are HD and broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1? I have a HE system plugged into the UPC Box but am reluctant to buy a movie unless its Bluray quality. BTW I have an SD box, with a HDMI cable to my HE system

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ankles wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if movies on demand are HD and broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1? I have a HE system plugged into the UPC Box but am reluctant to buy a movie unless its Bluray quality. BTW I have an SD box, with a HDMI cable to my HE system

An SD Box can not give you Blue Ray quality. or HD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Also the SD boxes don't have HDMI outputs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ker123

I am getting UPC installed by a technician next week. I am getting multiroom and this will be located up high on the dining room wall. There is a tv point already installed. I'm wondering can the hd box be installed in a different location (under stairs where all cables and ran to) and be controlled from there with a 'magic eye' so I do not have to install a shelf beside tv. My while idea is to have a flat screen tv wall mounted with no cables or box visible. If this is possible do I have to supply this generic magic eye to the technician upon installation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

I have a UPC box
    In regard to on demand on UPC and RTE player. Up until 3 weeks ago I could watch home and away on on demand

Now it is not there at all

Has home and away been removed from UPC on demand ?

+1 noticed this yesterday, then had a browse through everything else available on rte player, hardly anything in there now.

Flicked to the Samsung TV version of the RTE player and it is very well stocked, not as much as the internet version, but significantly moreso than UPC. Home and away there in all its glory, and 3 weeks of it as well.

I wouldn't be advertising RTE player as a benefit of UPC by any stretch of the imagination, even it's implementation is poor (graphics etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Red05

RTE player on UPC OnDemand is completely pointless. Tried to watch that new RTE made show The Fall tonight on it (because the DVR didn't bother to record it) and it isn't available. What is the point? Just a marketing gimmick I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

The RTE Player on UPC is a disgrace. It has got progressively worse over the past few months. The only programmes that seem to be available on it now are the News, the Weather, the Late Late Show, the Saturday Night Show, Fair City, Eastenders and a couple of other miscellaneous programmes. I can understand why most UK and American content isn't on it but in recent times the majority of RTE home produced content has disappeared from the service. Programmes that have disapeared recently include Nationwide, Prime Time, Oireachtas Report, Crimecall amongst others. UPC need to renegotiate their contract with RTE as a matter of urgency or drop the service altogether because it is a joke at the moment.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

I agree with above sentiments, this new UPC on demand is terrible. Went to watch The Sunday Game on it the other day, but its not there. I checked on the RTE player on RTE.ie and its there available to watch, as are many other programmes, yet none of these are available on the UPC on demand service.

What is the point of this UPC on demand if all they show is news/whether and other 'default' sort of shows?

Does anyone know is this issue going to be resolved so we can watch all the programmes which are available online?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Dexter season 3 now available.

Roland27 wrote: »
    Does anyone know is this issue going to be resolved so we can watch all the programmes which are available online?

Unfortunately its up to the rights holders, some allow streaming only to PCs and other devices and not to TVs.

On another note there seems to have been a number of BBC shows withdrawn from On Demand recently, including Doctor Who.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

icdg wrote: »
    Unfortunately its up to the rights holders, some allow streaming only to PCs and other devices and not to TVs.

On another note there seems to have been a number of BBC shows withdrawn from On Demand recently, including Doctor Who.

Majority of the box sets went at the end of May -

There are 46 programs on the RTE Player - 29 are News programs !

Music section has been added (open to correction if its not new).

Anyone else unable to accrss box sets from the initial menu prompts?

Think its end of sticky time for this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭decies

Are the us shows gone from it ?

No, I count NCIS, Star Trek TNG, The Good Wife, the Borgias, and Blue Bloods still there.

For some reason all the show titles are in ALL CAPS now, and I found it quite buggy tonight.

Oh, and Doctor Who is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

I see that Neighbours and Shortland Street have been added to the RTE Player content on UPC. Granted these additions won't set the world alight. But good to see UPC taking complaints about lack of content on board and boosting the service. The service has been gradually improving over the past few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I have the digital value subscription which according to the website includes on demand 'tv players' but all I can access is rte player and Tv3.
    When I spoke to upc guy he was like 'oh really? .....eh oh eh you have to upgrade to the digital max to get bbc player etc'
    Even though I am subscribed to those channels...?
    On the website it says digital select extra receives on demand 'tv players' also no asterisk on either so I'm not sure I'm getting what I pay for

lolo62 wrote: »
    I have the digital value subscription which according to the website includes on demand 'tv players' but all I can access is rte player and Tv3.
    When I spoke to upc guy he was like 'oh really? .....eh oh eh you have to upgrade to the digital max to get bbc player etc'
    Even though I am subscribed to those channels...?
    On the website it says digital select extra receives on demand 'tv players' also no asterisk on either so I'm not sure I'm getting what I pay for

There is no BBC iPlayer on UPC (or any Irish platform, other than the subscription-based international iPlayer on BBC.com and mobile apps). What there is a selection of BBC shows on the On Demand service but yes you'd need to be on Digital Select to receive these.

What you should be able to receive is the TV players - RTÉ, TV3, and TG4.

On a slightly related topic I see they now have a Sky Movies on Demand section available only to Sky movies subscribers. What's very interesting about this is the fact that the UI adopts the Sky Digital EPG colours when navigating!

icdg wrote: »
    There is no BBC iPlayer on UPC (or any Irish platform, other than the subscription-based international iPlayer on BBC.com and mobile apps). What there is a selection of BBC shows on the On Demand service but yes you'd need to be on Digital Select to receive these.

What you should be able to receive is the TV players - RTÉ, TV3, and TG4.

QUOTE]

thanks for reply but it still doesn't make sense to me, if receive bbc and channel 4 and discovery tv channels as part of my subscription and I also receive access to 'tv players' on the on demand, then when I click into 'tv players' on my setup I should be able to access all the tv players shown for the relevant tv channels I have?!? they are all there together in a row, not set appart

The BCC player isnt BBC TV catchup content, its box-set content and all the box-sets are select and above.

The BCC player isnt BBC TV catchup content, its box-set content and all the box-sets are select and above.

Then why is it in the tv players section and not the box set content?

The same content is in the box set section, I guess BBC Just wanted an additional player or something with their logos on it.

The same content is in the box set section, I guess BBC Just wanted an additional player or something with their logos on it.

Well as long as bbc are happy, that's the main thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Hi,

I've been with Sky a good while but thinking of switching to UPC for cost purposes. What exactly to you get with their on demand. Is it only Rte and £ player stuff which I can get anyway? With Sky I get Discovery, History, Sky, 4OD etc on the on demand and I don't want to lose this.

Also I'm a full package subsciber, will the same on demand movies be available as on Sky?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Bradz213 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been with Sky a good while but thinking of switching to UPC for cost purposes. What exactly to you get with their on demand. Is it only Rte and £ player stuff which I can get anyway? With Sky I get Discovery, History, Sky, 4OD etc on the on demand and I don't want to lose this.

Also I'm a full package subsciber, will the same on demand movies be available as on Sky?

Thanks

On Demand on UPC is nothing in comparison to SKY, also you will lose your Red Button access to programs such as sports on the Red button on BBC or SKY Sports….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

lolo62 wrote: »
    Then why is it in the tv players section and not the box set content?
    It's in the 'TV Players and More' section & listed as BBC Box Sets (not as BBC Player). All the content from that section is also listed & available to view in the 'Box Set' section.

Advertisement