Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Will be my 1st season following the Giants where TC is not in charge so will be strange & exciting.

Aye, same. I literally started following them as they were supreme underdogs in 07, when I first started watching NFL, and all the hype was on the Pats.

Didn't think that 9 years later I'd be so obsessed about it all, or feeling so nostalgic at seeing that red, windburned face retire.

All the reports are pointing towards Reese being safe. Press conference tomorrow at 10.30 am, EST time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    Aye, same. I literally started following them as they were supreme underdogs in 07, when I first started watching NFL, and all the hype was on the Pats.

Didn't think that 9 years later I'd be so obsessed about it all, or feeling so nostalgic at seeing that red, windburned face retire.

All the reports are pointing towards Reese being safe. Press conference tomorrow at 10.30 am, EST time.

Exact same time I started to follow them, 9 years of frustration & great memories. His face after Dodges punt allowed Jackson a walk off TD is one you'd never forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It's really interesting that Reese is staying. Mara and Tisch are too prudent to have a complete overhaul. I doubt McAdoo or Spags will really be in contention for the job. McAdoo will probably get an interview but we really need a new set of eyes over the set up. I doubt Spags will survive either. He can't stand over that defence this year. I think McAdoo will be forced upon the next HC. Eli likes him too much and probably wouldn't be happy learning a new offence again.

Justin Tuck

https://www.facebook.com/47892511938/photos/a.167358611938.122211.47892511938/10153435013546939/?type=3&theater
    As I sit back and reflect on Coach Tom Coughlin, I remember all the one on ones in your office talking football, game plan, etc.
    I think back to when I was named captain and I used to try and beat you to the facility. I would get there at 6, you where there. I got there at 530 and you were there. 5 am... I knew I would beat you then.. NOPE YOU WERE THERE.

I remember feeling the hood of your car and it was cold. Come to find out there were nights you slept in the office.

No one worked harder, no one demanded more and I LOVE YOU for it.

I chose this picture for one reason and one reason only. Everyone knows you for your dedication to your team and how intense you are on the football field. But I will remember you for helping me become a man and challenging all of us to be better husbands and fathers and men.

You did it the right way Coach. And you might be retiring from coaching but I'm sure this isn't a goodbye. That's not in your nature. #halloffame #5minutesearly #areyoush*ttingme

12509809_10153435013546939_4433141944190117107_n.jpg?oh=173a086a4221216625c5c72a7cd41d64&oe=5713BED6

Wow that's a great dictum from Justin Tuck.

• Advertisement

Press conference in an hour, I believe.

Paul Dottino was on NFL network saying that he believes the owners will definitely want to bring someone in who wants to run the West Coast offense, and not deviate much from what McAdoo was doing, although he didn't imply that it meant McAdoo would remain OC.

He did follow that up by saying he didn't believe a coach/GM type head coach would be brought in, specifically naming Cowher, as he believes the owners are confident in Reese.

This has me thinking that Jon Gruden could be a fit, but I do believe that we are better off bringing in a defensive minded coach, and let McAdoo run that offense of his.

Apparently they will be interviewing Spags for the role this week.

Apparently they will be interviewing Spags for the role this week.

That's a depressing thought.

NJ.com also reporting that McAdoo to get an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Surely we can attract more than Spags and McAdoo..

I'm not knocking them but I expected more "names" to be making it known they'd be interested

• Advertisement

I want McAdoo to stay, but you look around the league, and it is a bit too early to be putting someone with 2 years OC experience in as a HC, really. It took Mike McCarthy five years as an offensive coach, and many more years prior to that, before he got the Packer gig, for example.

Gruden, however, only had two years as Eagles OC, before he got the Raiders job, and he had a fairly damn solid HC career.

I'm pretty conflicted with regards to how I think we can keep McAdoo, but also bring in the right guy who won't throw everything out of sync. In that regards, it does seem that you either have to go defense, or just give McAdoo the reigns.

Bears OC Adam Gase is been offered an interview as well

I wouldn't restrict searching for a new head coach based on what McAdoo has done so far. We have the most one dimensional offense in the league and all of a sudden people want this guy to be the head coach?

The only reason why I'd keep McAdoo is because of his relationship with Eli but if he can't expand the offense next season then he should be fired. It's also a laughable to, essentially, fire Coughlin but keep a washed up DC.

I'm not having a go at McAdoo either I just still think he has a lot to prove before he gets a HC gig. It's obvious to see why the offense is so limited but I definitely think he needs to expand this offense to even be in consideration for a HC gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Mara and Reeses Pressers were farcical

Very defensive and non logical

Worrying times ahead I fear

glued wrote: »

Yea Eli was really upset by the whole thing. Shows real level of affection towards TC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Yea Eli was really upset by the whole thing. Shows real level of affection towards TC.

For some reason i always pictured Eli as someone who let things roll off his back, whether good or bad. So it was surprising to see him like that. Off all the ex players that have said stuff about TC, the only one with a negative comment was Tiki Barber !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

Will be my 1st season following the Giants where TC is not in charge so will be strange & exciting.

Have been at it a bit longer. Parcells was there when I started following the Giants - 1985.
    So been through two great ones - Parcells and TC. And the other meh ones - Handley, Reeves & Fassell.
    12 years for TC was a fair stint. Think that we do need a change though.
    The talks of an internal hire scare me. McAdoo and Spags should not get the job. I'm happy with the idea of Payton - would love John Fox. Trade picks to the Bears and nab him.
    There was a lot of talk over the years of Bill Cowher. Wonder whether this talk will be resurrected.

If we're going for an unproven head coach I'd like to see someone like Adam Gase but if we're going for experience I'd definitely be in the Payton camp.

Doug Marrone is getting an interview now according to Ian Rappaport on Twitter

(dear god no)

• Advertisement

Panthers' McDermott as well.

So far these seem to be the candidates we're interested in:

- Adam Gase
    - Hue Jackson
    - Ben McAdoo (no thanks, apparently Eli Manning is really pushing for him to get the job)
    - Steve Spags
    - Doug Marrone
    - Sean McDermott

The only one there that I would be happy with is probably Adam Gase. McAdoo and Spags shouldn't really be in consideration. Florio reckons that Eli won't be happy if McAdoo doesn't remain as OC.

What makes you want Gase over McAdoo?

Not having a go, just genuinely curious.

For me its an easy choice to go for McAdoo, when considering those two.

From the list above, I'd have McAdoo and McDermott as the two, and considering you could have McDermott as HC and presiding over defense, and keep McAdoo, that to me is far preferable than brining in Gase and upsetting the whole thing.

I don't regard Gase's achievements in football thus far and higher than McAdoo's, really.

McAdoo is gonna interview for the Eagles job too

What makes you want Gase over McAdoo?

Not having a go, just genuinely curious.

For me its an easy choice to go for McAdoo, when considering those two.

From the list above, I'd have McAdoo and McDermott as the two, and considering you could have McDermott as HC and presiding over defense, and keep McAdoo, that to me is far preferable than brining in Gase and upsetting the whole thing.

I don't regard Gase's achievements in football thus far and higher than McAdoo's, really.

I just have a preference for Gase over McAdoo as an OC. I don't want to promote coaches who have done an average job. I think McAdoo is very overrated. His offense is solely based around ODB. Eli is playing much better but that's largely down to ODB too. We need to seriously expand this offense. Now, I'm not sure what his problem with Vereen is but what's the point in paying Vereen when McAdoo is barely going to use him? His inability to get Vereen on the field and vary the play calling really only adds more question marks to McAdoo as a OC.

He's not McDaniels or Gase and will have to prove a lot more to be a HC. In saying that he's probably the only member of the coaching staff that I would have kept. I'd like to see him being given the chance to prove himself as an OC before taking over this team.

Vereen, this year, had more receptions, receiving TDs, and yards, than any other year in his career.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, as I can't see a case for McAdoo being overrated, and on the flipside be happy with Gase as a HC.

Seems more grass is always greener, to me.

Also, Doug Marrone walked out of the HC role in Buffalo. That alone should keep Mara away from him, I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

McAdoo's offense is based around Odell Beckham for a very good reason. I'm sure Ben McAdoo, Eli Manning, Tom Coughlin and everyone else in the Giants would love for it to be based around other receivers as well.

Vereen is a weird one as his numbers suggest that he's had a career year but he has been massively underused at times. Whoever is calling plays next season will hopefully utilise both Vereen and Jennings more.

Vereen, this year, had more receptions, receiving TDs, and yards, than any other year in his career.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, as I can't see a case for McAdoo being overrated, and on the flipside be happy with Gase as a HC.

Seems more grass is always greener, to me.

This is the major issue for me. People just look at stats and not the tape. If you think we utilised Vereen this year then that's your judgement, one I completely disagree with. You're also not comparing like to like.

Tbf im not sure how you can support McAdoo for a HC role when he's not exactly been a good coordinator. His offense has zero rhythm and is too rigid. What has he done to deserve a shot? McAdoo and Reese would be an absolute disaster.

And don't take this the wrong way but you also support Reese so I'm not sure we're going to agree on much except that we both hope that the Giants do well. If he's appointed head coach then I wish him all the best but there are far better candidates out there.

I think McAdoo has done a decent job but I'm scratching my head trying to find out where all this praise is coming from. I really think some people need to go back and look at the tape. If I have time I'll try and highlight exactly what annoys me about McAdoo offense.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    So far these seem to be the candidates we're interested in:

- Adam Gase
    - Hue Jackson
    - Ben McAdoo (no thanks, apparently Eli Manning is really pushing for him to get the job)
    - Steve Spags
    - Doug Marrone
    - Sean McDermott

The only one there that I would be happy with is probably Adam Gase. McAdoo and Spags shouldn't really be in consideration. Florio reckons that Eli won't be happy if McAdoo doesn't remain as OC.

Can I be the odd one out & say that I would be rather happy with Marrone. I know his Buffalo exit leaves a bad taste but he did a bang up job there.

Of those candidates I would want in order of preference

1. Marrone
    2. McAdoo
    3. Jackson
    4. Gase
    5. McDermott
    6. Spags (but I reckon it's his job to lose)

Advertisement